[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes on Soul Train May 1973

If I am correct this was the very first time Don Cornelius went down the line and with Mary Wilson. Another note on this particular show is for decades I always felt this was the most superb vocal Jean and The Supremes did on I Guess I'll Miss The Man. They were spot on. I wish it had been recorded this way. Just beautiful.

This was Don’s first and only time going down the line. And Jean’s vocals were great.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    If I am correct this was the very first time Don Cornelius went down the line and with Mary Wilson. Another note on this particular show is for decades I always felt this was the most superb vocal Jean and The Supremes did on I Guess I'll Miss The Man. They were spot on. I wish it had been recorded this way. Just beautiful.

I have always thought IGIMTM a very pretty song, but this superb performance from Jean takes it to another level. Agree that had it been recorded like this it could have been a respectable hit. Lynda and Mary also sound sublime.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I have always thought IGIMTM a very pretty song, but this superb performance from Jean takes it to another level. Agree that had it been recorded like this it could have been a respectable hit. Lynda and Mary also sound sublime.
    i agree that Guess is a lovely song. I enjoy the recorded version. Jean is singing with such restraint. very sweet and sincere.

Another good live version is the one from the apollo in Dec 72. they repeat the middle part which gives the song a bit more meat and also gives M and L a bit larger role as they do more 3 part harmony. it's a nice added element

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i agree that Guess is a lovely song. I enjoy the recorded version. Jean is singing with such restraint. very sweet and sincere.

Another good live version is the one from the apollo in Dec 72. they repeat the middle part which gives the song a bit more meat and also gives M and L a bit larger role as they do more 3 part harmony. it's a nice added element
    I also enjoy the group singing the song at the Apollo sup but for me their performance on Soul Train is something very special indeed. This is one song where It really would have payed off to have Jean being creative and doing her own thing. Their recorded version is pretty, but when performing live Jean is given the freedom to sing with a lot more verve and added emotion which I think adds to the song.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    I love the recording as is, even though I think it was a bad choice for a single. However, the live renditions have been even more fantastic, and this one doesn't disappoint.