[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    I love that the button refers to Ross as "Diane." She often introduced herself that way, and I believe she does so on the Copa album. I never heard anyone in Detroit refer to her as "Diana," and I think contrary to popular belief, "Diane" is actually the name she was given at birth.

I think Detroiters thought of her as a home town girl and calling her "Diane" gave us a feeling that she was one of "our own," which indeed she was. At least in the earlier days before all the controversies about Florence and Diane vs. Mary, I think most hometowners were rightfully proud of her as they were of all three girls.

Joseph, what a fun collection you have. How did you ever learn about the Dutch Fan Club? [[Although I think their nomenclature is faulty...calling it the "Dutch Supremes Fan Club" instead of the "Supremes Dutch Fan Club" makes it sound like there was a group of three girls in pigtails and wooden shoes, perhaps made up like the Marvelettes in that well known photo of them dressed that way!)

Name:  Marvelettes Holland.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  58.5 KB
    Last edited by kenneth; 04-11-2020 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by motown_marc View Post
    Attachment 17133
    Interesting to see that the Dutch Supremes fanclub was in Delfgauw, close to where I live. Did they issue a magazine at the time?
    Yes they did, I had quite a few issues, but they became lost over time.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I love that the button refers to Ross as "Diane." She often introduced herself that way, and I believe she does so on the Copa album. I never heard anyone in Detroit refer to her as "Diana," and I think contrary to popular belief, "Diane" is actually the name she was given at birth.

I think Detroiters thought of her as a home town girl and calling her "Diane" gave us a feeling that she was one of "our own," which indeed she was. At least in the earlier days before all the controversies about Florence and Diane vs. Mary, I think most hometowners were rightfully proud of her as they were of all three girls.

Joseph, what a fun collection you have. How did you ever learn about the Dutch Fan Club? [[Although I think their nomenclature is faulty...calling it the "Dutch Supremes Fan Club" instead of the "Supremes Dutch Fan Club" makes it sound like there was a group of three girls in pigtails and wooden shoes, perhaps made up like the Marvelettes in that well known photo of them dressed that way!)

Name:  Marvelettes Holland.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  58.5 KB
    Hey Kenneth, I joined The Supremes fan club early on, maybe early 1965 and this was the button I received. As I recall a newsletter from the fan club offered the opportunity for fans of the girls to become pen pals with fans in other countries through the club. I became pen pals with a guy named Paul in Holland and from there it lead to me being a member of the Dutch Supremes fan club.

The Supremes fan club had lot of cool things that I have lost over time. I remember they sent an Air Mail letter to fan club members announcing they would be on "Hulabaloo" to sing "Back In My Arms Again".

Great idea for a thread, Kenneth.

Hey Kenneth, I joined The Supremes fan club early on, maybe early 1965 and this was the button I received. As I recall a newsletter from the fan club offered the opportunity for fans of the girls to become pen pals with fans in other countries through the club. I became pen pals with a guy named Paul in Holland and from there it lead to me being a member of the Dutch Supremes fan club.

The Supremes fan club had lot of cool things that I have lost over time. I remember they sent an Air Mail letter to fan club members announcing they would be on "Hulabaloo" to sing "Back In My Arms Again".

Great idea for a thread, Kenneth.
    Actually I said something wrong in the above post. I should’ve said that Diana was the name given to her at birth, not Diane. I believe people always assume it was Diane.

Thanks for the feedback and the contributions. It is fun to see all these things I never knew I was missing!

Well for today's installment I will start out with a couple Marvin items. This is the cover photo proof for "The Moods of Marvin Gaye". I wish I could remember what all is written on the back of this one. I know is says "Title in yellow" as well as other information on what should appear on the cover. Both of these items were originally from Joe's collection as well.

Name:  Marvin Moods.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  38.2 KB

This is the cover photo proof for the shelved "Marvin Gaye at The Copa" LP. On the back is written "Marvin Gaye at the Copa" and "proposal for never released L.P." in a different hand, presumably Joe's. I've pictured it with the eventual CD release with, according to the liner notes, "Cover image based on original cover mock-up".

Name:  Marvin Copa.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  83.8 KB

This order form is a little older than the one Kenneth started out this thread with as it dates from 1969. I like the cover with the small photos of the artists. This is printed on yellow paper with red and black print so it photographs a bit oddly.

Name:  Form 1.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  47.1 KB
    Name:  Form 2.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  48.3 KB
    Name:  Form 3.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  39.4 KB
    Name:  Form 4.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  29.2 KB
    Name:  Form 5.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  29.4 KB

I picked up this piece as you generally never see this letter that was included with the Xit "End" promo 45 on Rare Earth, a project the Terrana's produced. What was interesting to me is to know the picture sleeves were printed gratis by Ivy Hill Lithography and that around 7500 copies of the disc were pressed.

Name:  Xit 1.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  65.3 KB
    Name:  Xit 2.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  41.4 KB
    Name:  Xit letter.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  89.7 KB
    Name:  Xit Letter 2.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  85.3 KB

Attachment 17158.

Radio City Music Hall

Can’t seem to turn it

Quote Originally Posted by grapevine View Post
    I suppose my most 'Special Motown Collectables' ...are the 75 disc ...1849 track ...14 Volume complete set of ...The Complete Motown Singles...that were released by Hip-O / Motown Select between 2004 and 2013...!!!

Attachment 17139

Grape
    Hey! I'm applauding you here! I KNEW I had better snap these up as soon as they were released. One of the few times I gave absolutely no consideration to choosing between paying my light bill and buying Motown! I ain't no fool. I knew this was probably going to be once in a lifetime. I also give you props for sticking with the collection all the way. I stopped at 1969, and even then, that was just for the sake of completion of my favorite era of Motown.

I love picture sleeves. I've collected a few too and maybe will share some here. This one is interesting because they used another photo of Mary vs. the one used on the "More Hits" album. Instead of both Florence and Mary appearing to be looking toward Diana, as on the album cover, here, all us guys can pretend Mary is looking at US!

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    This order form is a little older than the one Kenneth started out this thread with as it dates from 1969. I like the cover with the small photos of the artists. This is printed on yellow paper with red and black print so it photographs a bit oddly.

Name:  Form 1.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  47.1 KB
    Name:  Form 2.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  48.3 KB
    Name:  Form 3.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  39.4 KB
    Name:  Form 4.jpg
Size:  29.2 KB
    Name:  Form 5.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  29.4 KB
    What a fun and great piece of memorabilia! I do agree with you, it does seem that if it ain't The Beatles [[or as Catherine O'Hara would say it, The BEET-tulls") or Rock, there doesn't seem to be as much enthusiasm for this sort of thing. But hey, the masses are so easily led, whereas we here know where it's really at!

And is it just me or does the art work for the Smokey Robinson & The Miracles Four In Blue album look a bit different here?

Name:  motown finds smokey [[2).jpg
Views: 647
Size:  37.6 KB
    It is. It's a little hard to detect, but the typography is different and I believe the photo of the group is outlined. Looks a bit more eye-popping than what was released. I think I like this one better.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 04-11-2020 at 11:47 PM.

Sophisticated Soul, this is really fantastic. In its own way, it says more about The Supremes than a ton of books. That the group, a trio of Black women from Detroit were being viewed by the mainstream as the "Andrew Sisters of the Sixties" says a lot about how much The Supremes were being embraced by so many, teenagers as well as adults. I also like how the writer mentions "Where Did Our Love Go" being played for The Gemini crew!

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    I love picture sleeves. I've collected a few too and maybe will share some here. This one is interesting because they used another photo of Mary vs. the one used on the "More Hits" album. Instead of both Florence and Mary appearing to be looking toward Diana, as on the album cover, here, all us guys can pretend Mary is looking at US!
    Also Flo's photo is flipped from the version that appears on "More Hits".

Sophisticated Soul, this is really fantastic. In its own way, it says more about The Supremes than a ton of books. That the group, a trio of Black women from Detroit were being viewed by the mainstream as the "Andrew Sisters of the Sixties" says a lot about how much The Supremes were being embraced by so many, teenagers as well as adults. I also like how the writer mentions "Where Did Our Love Go" being played for The Gemini crew!
    As I was rereading the article I thought the same thing. It really says a lot. I remember how happy I was that this article mentioned WDOLG being played for the astronauts, because in the general news it was only the Beatles songs that were mentioned.

Name:  ampex.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  88.4 KB

The Supremes on other carriers than vinyl: still sealed Ampex tape and on eight-track. Here in Europe eight-track never caught on as a format.

Interesting Sophisticated Soul. Did you know that the sleeve of this Dutch 7" also has a version with blue lettering?
    Name:  DSC03438.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  89.6 KB

Interesting Sophisticated Soul. Did you know that the sleeve of this Dutch 7" also has a version with blue lettering?
    Name:  DSC03438.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  89.6 KB
    No I have not seen the blue lettering version before. I think I like it more, better contrast. You've got some great stuff, I love the "Rodgers & Hart" reel-to-reel! Very cool.

Thanks Sophisticated. I like these EP's a lot: the original US and the Mexican version, with different tracks.

Name:  DSC03433.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  94.6 KB

2 special versions: 'You're a special part of mi' and 'One waman'

Name:  DSC03443.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  91.8 KB

Name:  veronica.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  104.1 KB
    In the book The Motown Album [[1990) there is a picture from Mary Wilson in Studio A, addressing Smokey, Berry, Diana and a lot of other people. On the table in front of her is the 1965 UK Tour Program of The Tamla Motown Show, so I assume this is around that time. And Mary is wearing a T-shirt of the Dutch pirate station Radio Veronica. At the time these pirate stations, broadcasting from the North Sea just out of the territorial waters of the Netherlands and the UK , were very important for Motown, since regular stations like the BBC did not play their music. I also found a picture of Mary wearing the same T-shirt while dancing with Florence and Diana in what looks like a living room. Always wondered who’s living room this was. Anyone?

[QUOTE=WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance;
    It is. It's a little hard to detect, but the typography is different and I believe the photo of the group is outlined. Looks a bit more eye-popping than what was released. I think I like this one better.[/QUOTE]

You're very right Waiting, I hadn't noticed that! Yes, a cool modern font is used and the outlining around the group photo really adds a lot! I think I like the unreleased one better too. Here's a close up of it.
    Darin

Name:  Miracles.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  43.2 KB

Hey! I'm applauding you here! I KNEW I had better snap these up as soon as they were released. One of the few times I gave absolutely no consideration to choosing between paying my light bill and buying Motown! I ain't no fool. I knew this was probably going to be once in a lifetime. I also give you props for sticking with the collection all the way. I stopped at 1969, and even then, that was just for the sake of completion of my favorite era of Motown.
    ...well Waiting ...my favourite era went a little further ...had I not completed the series ...look at what I would have missed...!!

...part 1

The Bells The Originals
    I'll Wait For You The Originals
    Blackmail Bobby Taylor
    My Cherie Amour Joe Harnell
    Never Had A Dream Come True Stevie Wonder
    Somebody Knows Somebody Cares Stevie Wonder
    Whatcha' Gonna Do Terry Johnson
    Time Edwin Starr
    Running Back And Forth Edwin Starr
    Gotta Hold On To This Feeling Jr Walker & The All-Stars
    Clinging To The Thought That She's Coming Back Jr Walker & The All-Stars
    I Should Be Proud Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
    Love Guess Who Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
    Message From A Blackman The Spinners
    Life Beats The Supremes
    Up The Ladder To The Roof The Supremes
    Bill When Are You Coming Back The Supremes
    Expressin' My Love Stu Gardner
    I Don't Dream No More Stu Gardner
    Get Ready Rare Earth
    ABC The Jackson 5
    The Young Folks The Jackson 5
    You Need Love Like I Do Don't You Gladys Knight & The Pips
    You're My Everything Gladys Knight & The Pips
    I Remember When Dedicated To Beverly Ivy Jo
    Sorry Is A Sorry Word Ivy Jo
    The Onion Song Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
    California Soul Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
    It's All In The Game Four Tops
    Love Is The Answer Four Tops
    Reach Out And Touch Somebody's Hand Diana Ross
    These Things Will Keep Me Loving You Diana Ross
    Dark Side Of The World Diana Ross
    Indiana Wants Me R Dean Taylor
    Love's Your Name R Dean Taylor
    Come On People The Rustix
    Free Again Non C'est Rien The Rustix
    On The Brighter Side Of A Blue World The Fantastic Four
    I'm Gonna Carry On The Fantastic Four
    Who's Gonna Take The Blame Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    Loving You Arthur Adams
    Who’s Gonna Take The Blame Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    I Gotta Thing For You Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    Two Feet From Happiness Chuck Jackson
    My Baby's Love Arthur Adams
    Let Somebody Love Me Chuck Jackson
    Ball Of Confusion That's What The World Is Today The Temptations
    It's Summer The Temptations
    The Love You Save The Jackson 5
    I Found That Girl The Jackson 5
    The End Of Our Road Marvin Gaye
    Me And My Lonely Room Marvin Gaye
    Just Another Morning Michael Denton
    Arma' Geden Michael Denton
    Signed Sealed Delivered I'm Yours Stevie Wonder
    I'm More Than Happy I'm Satisfied Stevie Wonder
    War Edwin Starr
    He Who Picks A Rose Edwin Starr
    It's A Shame The Spinners
    Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music The Spinners
    Do You See My Love For You Growing Jr Walker & The All-Stars
    Groove And Move Jr Walker & The All-Stars
    The Day Will Come Between Sunday And Monday Kiki Dee
    My Whole World Ended The Moment You Left Me Kiki Dee
    Everybody's Got The Right To Love The Supremes
    But I Love You More The Supremes
    We Can Make It Baby The Originals
    I Like Your Style The Originals
    An Important Message From Barney Ales Play Immediately Barney Ales
    I Know I'm Losing You Rare Earth
    When Joanie Smiles Rare Earth
    Stay A Little Longer Yvonne Fair
    We Should Never Be Lonely My Love Yvonne Fair
    How You Gona Keep It After You Get it Blinky
    Ain't No Mountain High Enough Diana Ross
    Can't It Wait Until Tomorrow Diana Ross
    Young Gifted And Black Bob & Marcia
    Peace Of Mind Bob & Marcia
    Stone Soul Booster Buzzie
    Still Water Love The Four Tops
    Still Water Peace The Four Tops
    Sandy Buzzie
    This Time Last Summer Blinky
    I'll Be There The Jackson 5
    One More Chance The Jackson 5
    Ungena Za Ulimwengu Unite The World The Temptations
    Hum Along And Dance The Temptations
    As Long As I've Got You Danny Hernandez & The Ones
    One Little Teardrop Danny Hernandez & The Ones
    Stand By Me The Ruffin Brothers
    Your Love Was Worth Waiting For The Ruffin Brothers
    The Tears Of A Clown Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    Promise Me Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    The Love I Saw In You Was Just A Mirage Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    Heaven Help Us All Stevie Wonder
    I Gotta Have A Song Stevie Wonder
    You Keep Me Hangin' On Hugh Masekela
    Make Me A Potion Hugh Masekela
    It's A Lonesome Road Hearts Of Stone
    Yesterday's Love Is Over Hearts Of Stone
    I Gotta Let You Go Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
    You're The Loser Now Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
    Stoned Love The Supremes
    Shine On Me The Supremes
    If I Were Your Woman Gladys Knight & The Pips
    The Tracks Of My Tears Gladys Knight & The Pips
    Marionette The Marvelettes
    After All The Marvelettes
    River Deep Mountain High The Supremes & The Four Tops
    Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music The Supremes & The Four Tops
    Coming Apart Allan Nicholls
    Let The Music Play Allan Nicholls
    Coming Apart Allan Nicholls
    Stop The War Now Edwin Starr

Grape

...part 2

God Bless Whoever Sent You The Originals
    Just To Keep You Satisfied The Originals
    Desperate Young Man The Originals
    Born To Wander Rare Earth
    Here Comes The Night Rare Earth
    Holly Holy Jr Walker & The All-Stars
    Carry Your Own Load Jr Walker & The All-Stars
    Santa Claus Is Coming To Town The Jackson 5
    Christmas Won't Be The Same This Year The Jackson 5
    Way Back Home The Jazz Crusaders
    Jackson! The Jazz Crusaders
    Remember Me Diana Ross
    How About You Diana Ross
    We'll Have It Made The Spinners
    My Whole World Ended The Moment You Left Me The Spinners
    Just Seven Numbers Can Straighten Out My Life The Four Tops
    I Wish I Were Your Mirror The Four Tops
    Maria You Were The Only One Jimmy Ruffin
    Living In A World I Created For Myself Jimmy Ruffin
    Can't Wait To See You Arthur Adams
    It's Private Tonight Arthur Adams
    Mama's Pearl The Jackson 5
    Darling Dear The Jackson 5
    Let's All Save The Children Joe Hinton
    You Are Blue Joe Hinton
    Sweet Water Brass Monkey
    You Keep Me Hangin' On Brass Monkey
    Pet Names Chuck Jackson
    Is There Anything Love Can't Do Chuck Jackson
    Just My Imagination Running Away With Me The Temptations
    You Make Your Own Heaven And Hell Right Here On Earth The Temptations
    Ain't It A Sad Thing R Dean Taylor
    Back Street R Dean Taylor
    What's Going On Marvin Gaye
    God Is Love Marvin Gaye
    Save My Love For A Rainy Day The Undisputed Truth
    Since I've Lost You The Undisputed Truth
    Don't Pay Me No Mind Ken Christie & The Sunday People
    Listen To Your Soul Ken Christie & The Sunday People
    Each Day Is A Lifetime David Ruffin
    Don't Stop Lovin' Me David Ruffin
    Love Makes The World Go 'round Kiki Dee
    Jimmy Kiki Dee
    We Can Work It Out Stevie Wonder
    Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer Stevie Wonder
    I Don't Blame You At All Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    That Girl Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    This Used To Be The Home Of Johnnie Mae Eddie Kendricks
    It's So Hard For Me To Say Goodbye Eddie Kendricks
    This Used To Be The Home Of Johnnie Mae Eddie Kendricks
    In My Own Lifetime Sammy Davis Jr
    I'll Begin Again Sammy Davis Jr
    Never Can Say Goodbye The Jackson 5
    She's Good The Jackson 5
    Gotta See Jane R Dean Taylor
    Strung Out Gordon Staples & The Motown Strings
    Sounds Of The Zodiac Gordon Staples & The Motown Strings
    Funky Music Sho' Nuff Turns Me On Edwin Starr
    Cloud Nine Edwin Starr
    When My Love Hand Comes Down The Ruffin Brothers
    Steppin' On A Dream The Ruffin Brothers
    I Won't Weep No More Letta
    You Touched Me Letta
    Reach Out I'll Be There Diana Ross
    They Long To Be Close To You Diana Ross
    I've Given You The Best Years Of My Life PJ
    It Takes A Man To Teach A Woman How To Love PJ
    What You See Is What You Get Stoney & Meatloaf
    Lady Be Mine Stoney & Meatloaf
    Nathan Jones The Supremes
    Happy Is A Bumpy Road The Supremes
    Melodie Bobby Darin
    Someday We'll Be Together Bobby Darin
    Never Can Say Goodbye Impact Of Brass
    So Far So Good Impact Of Brass
    Heartaches King Floyd
    Together We Can Do Anything King Floyd
    Feelin' Alright Diana Ross & The Jackson 5
    Love Story Diana Ross & Bill Cosby
    I Don't Want To Do Wrong Gladys Knight & The Pips
    Is There A Place In This Heart For Me Gladys Knight & The Pips
    You Gotta Have Love In Your Heart The Supremes & The Four Tops
    I'm Glad About It The Supremes & The Four Tops
    You Gotta Have Love In Your Heart The Supremes & The Four Tops
    Smiling Faces Sometimes The Undisputed Truth
    You Got The Love I Need The Undisputed Truth
    I'd Still Love You Ivy Jo
    I Can Feel The Pain Ivy Jo
    In These Changing Times The Four Tops
    Right Before My Eyes The Four Tops
    Pass The Plate The Crusaders
    Greasy Spoon The Crusaders
    Dyambo De-Yambo Weary Day Is Over Hugh Masekela & The Union Of South Africa
    Shebeen Hugh Masekela & The Union Of South Africa
    Uncle Tom Arthur Adams
    Mornin' Train Arthur Adams
    What Is Love The Stylists
    Where Did The Children Go The Stylists
    Crazy About The La La La Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    Oh Baby Baby I Love You Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    Mercy Mercy Me The Ecology Marvin Gaye
    Sad Tomorrows Marvin Gaye
    If I Could Give You The World Hearts Of Stone
    You Gotta Sacrifice We Gotta Sacrifice Hearts Of Stone
    The Reverend John B Daniels Ken Christie & The Sunday People
    Jesus Is The Key Ken Christie & The Sunday People
    Candy Apple Red R Dean Taylor
    Woman Alive R Dean Taylor
    I Just Want To Celebrate Rare Earth
    The Seed Rare Earth
    Maybe Tomorrow The Jackson 5
    I Will Find A Way The Jackson 5
    What The World Needs Now Is Love/Abraham Martin And John Tom Clay
    The Victors Tom Clay

Grape

...part 3

It's Summer The Temptations
    I'm The Exception To The Rule The Temptations
    That's The Way A Woman Is The Messengers
    In The Jungle The Messengers
    Take Me Girl I'm Ready Jr Walker & The All-Stars
    Right On Brothers And Sisters Jr Walker & The All-Stars
    Keep Me The Originals
    A Man Without Love The Originals
    Lo And Behold The Ruffin Brothers
    The Things We Have To Do The Ruffin Brothers
    You Can Come Right Back To Me David Ruffin
    Dinah David Ruffin
    It Takes All Kinds Of People Stoney & Meatloaf
    The Way You Do The Things You Do Stoney & Meatloaf
    If You Really Love Me Stevie Wonder
    Think Of Me As Your Soldier Stevie Wonder
    Can I Eddie Kendricks
    I Did It All For You Eddie Kendricks
    My Piece Of Heaven The Rustix
    Down Down The Rustix
    Surrender Diana Ross
    I'm A Winner Diana Ross
    Can't It Wait Until Tomorrow Valerie Simpson
    Back To Nowhere Valerie Simpson
    Happiness Lodi
    I Hope I See It In My Lifetime Lodi
    MacArthur Park The Four Tops
    Funky Rubber Band Popcorn Wylie
    I'm An Easy Rider My Friends
    Concrete And Clay My Friends
    Who You Gonna Run To Chuck Jackson
    Forgive My Jealousy Chuck Jackson
    Act Like A Shotgun GC Cameron
    Girl I Really Love You GC Cameron
    Walk Down The Path Of Freedom The Sunday Funnies
    It's Just A Dream The Sunday Funnies
    Heaven Must Have Sent You The Elgins
    Inner City Blues Make Me Wanna Holler Marvin Gaye
    Wholy Holy Marvin Gaye
    Touch The Supremes
    It's So Hard For Me To Say Goodbye The Supremes
    Bless You Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
    Hope I Don't Get My Heart Broke Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
    Bless You Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
    Colour Combination Jack Hammer
    Swim Jack Hammer
    Got To Be There Michael Jackson
    Maria You Were The Only One Michael Jackson
    I'm Still Waiting Diana Ross
    A Simple Thing Like Cry Diana Ross
    Zip A Dee Doo Dah Suzee Ikeda
    Bah Bah Bah Suzee Ikeda
    Whatever Happened To Love Tom Clay
    Baby I Need Your Loving Tom Clay
    When Sundown Comes Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    Flower Girl Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    Superstar Remember How You Got Where You Are The Temptations
    Gonna Keep On Tryin' Till I Win Your Love The Temptations
    Satisfaction Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    We've Only Just Begun/I'll Be There Tony & Carolyn
    I Can Get Away From You But I Can't Get Over You Tony & Carolyn
    Hey Lordy Bobby Taylor
    Just A Little Bit Closer Bobby Taylor
    I Want To Go Back There Again Thelma Houston
    Pick Of The Week Thelma Houston
    Hey Big Brother Rare Earth
    Under God's Light Rare Earth
    Way Back Home Jr Walker & The All-Stars
    We All End Up In Boxes The Rustix
    I Can't Believe You're Really Leaving Virgil Henry
    You Ain't Sayin' Nothin' New Virgil Henry
    You Make Your Own Heaven And Hell Right Here On Earth The Undisputed Truth
    Ball Of Confusion That's What The World Is Today The Undisputed Truth
    Make Me The Woman That You Go Home To Gladys Knight & The Pips
    It's All Over But The Shoutin' Gladys Knight & The Pips
    Sugar Daddy The Jackson 5
    I'm So Happy The Jackson 5
    Simple Song Of Freedom Bobby Darin
    I'll Be Your Baby Tonight Bobby Darin
    The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived Dave Prince
    A Child Is Waiting Dave Prince
    What Christmas Means To Me Stevie Wonder
    Bedtime For Toys Stevie Wonder
    Floy Joy The Supremes
    This Is The Story The Supremes
    In And Out Of My Life Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
    Your Love Makes It All Worthwhile Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
    TLC Tender Loving Care PJ
    A Simple Game The Four Tops
    LA My Town The Four Tops
    Our Favourite Melody Jimmy Ruffin
    You Gave Me Love Jimmy Ruffin
    A Breath-taking Guy The Marvelettes
    You're The One For Me Bobby The Marvelettes
    I'm Someone Who Cares The Originals
    Once I Have You I Will Never Let Go The Originals
    Out In The Night Blue Scepter
    Gypsy Eyes Blue Scepter
    What It Is The Undisputed Truth
    California Soul The Undisputed Truth
    Feel Like Givin' Up Posse
    Take Somebody Like You Posse
    Take A Look Around The Temptations
    Smooth Sailing From Now On The Temptations
    I Want To Be Humble The Devastating Affair
    My Place The Devastating Affair
    Rockin' Robin Michael Jackson
    Love Is Here And Now You're Gone Michael Jackson
    Can You Give Me Love With A Guarantee Gladys Knight & The Pips
    If You Gonna Leave Just Leave Gladys Knight & The Pips
    Love Isn't Here Like It Used To Be Frankie Valli
    Poor Fool Frankie Valli
    Walk In The Night Jr Walker & The All Stars
    I Don't Want To Do Wrong Jr Walker & The All Stars

Grape

...part 4

Take Me Clear From Here Edwin Starr
    Ball Of Confusion That's What The World Is Today Edwin Starr
    I'm Gonna Get You GC Cameron
    Help Me Make It Through The Night Gladys Knight & The Pips
    Mr Fix-It Man The Sisters Love
    You've Got To Make The Choice The Sisters Love
    Taos New Mexico R Dean Taylor
    Shadow R Dean Taylor
    The Zoo The Human Zoo The Commodores
    I'm Looking For Love The Commodores
    What'd I Say Rare Earth
    Nice To Be With You Rare Earth
    Let Me Run Into Your Lonely Heart Eddie Kendricks
    Eddie's Love Eddie Kendricks
    Me And Bobby McGee Thelma Houston
    No One's Gonna Be A Fool Forever Thelma Houston
    What It Is What It Is GC Cameron
    You Are That Special One GC Cameron
    Little Bitty Pretty One The Jackson 5
    If I Have To Move A Mountain The Jackson 5
    Automatically Sunshine The Supremes
    Precious Little Things The Supremes
    It's The Same Old Love The Courtship
    Last Row First Balcony The Courtship
    Nihaa Shil Hozho I Am Happy About You Xit
    End Xit
    I Can't Quit Your Love The Four Tops
    Happy Is A Bumpy Road The Four Tops
    I Can Make It Alone Vincent DiMarco
    Come Clean Vincent DiMarco
    Superwoman Where Were You Where I Needed You Stevie Wonder
    I Love Every Little Thing About You Stevie Wonder
    It's Too Much For Man To Take Too Long Eric & The Vikings
    Time Don't Wait Eric & The Vikings
    Long Way From Home Howl The Good
    Why Do You Cry Howl The Good
    You're The Man Marvin Gaye
    I Wanna Be Where You Are Michael Jackson
    We've Got A Good Thing Going Michael Jackson
    We've Come Too Far To End It Now Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    Papa Was A Rollin' Stone The Undisputed Truth
    Friendship Train The Undisputed Truth
    Get Me Some Help Chris Holland & T-Bone
    If Time Could Stand Still Chris Holland & T-Bone
    Tear It On Down Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
    I Want You Back Martha Reeves & The Vandellas
    Label Me Love Different Shades Of Brown
    Life's A Ball While It Lasts Different Shades Of Brown
    Mother Nature The Temptations
    Funky Music Sho Nuff Turns Me On The Temptations
    Sail Away Bobby Darin
    Hard Headed Woman Bobby Darin
    I Can't Give Back The Love I Feel For You Suzee Ikeda
    Mind Body And Soul Suzee Ikeda
    A Little More Trust David Ruffin
    A Day In The Life Of A Working Man David Ruffin
    Money That's What I Want Blinky
    For Your Precious Love Blinky
    Groove Thang Jr Walker & The All Stars
    Me And My Family Jr Walker & The All Stars
    Lookin' Through The Windows The Jackson 5
    Love Song The Jackson 5
    Somebody Up There The Blackberries
    But I Love You More The Blackberries
    To Know You Is To Love You Syreeta
    Happiness Syreeta
    Somebody Oughta Turn Your Head Around Crystal Mansion
    Earth People Crystal Mansion
    Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love The Supremes
    The Wisdom Of Time The Supremes
    Green Grow The Lilacs The Festivals
    So In Love The Festivals
    What Is Black Billy Proctor
    I Can Take It All Billy Proctor
    Ben Michael Jackson
    You Can Cry On My Shoulder Michael Jackson
    That's How Love Goes Jermaine Jackson
    I Lost My Love In The Big City Jermaine Jackson
    Duck You Sucker Jerry Ross Symposium
    It Happened On A Sunday Morning Jerry Ross Symposium
    It's The Way Nature Planned It The Four Tops
    I'll Never Change The Four Tops
    Our Lives Are Shaped By What We Love Odyssey
    Broken Road Odyssey
    The Night Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons
    Sun Country Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons
    Daddy Could Swear I Declare Gladys Knight & The Pips
    Can't Give It Up No More Gladys Knight & The Pips
    Keep On Running Stevie Wonder
    Evil Stevie Wonder
    The Morning After Michelle Aller
    Spend Some Time Together Michelle Aller
    Just Not Gonna Make It Michelle Aller
    Walk On Don't Look Back Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons
    Who Is The Leader Of The People Edwin Starr
    Don't Tell Me I'm Crazy Edwin Starr
    Gospel Truth Bob Babbitt
    Running Like A Rabbit Bob Babbitt
    If You Let Me Eddie Kendricks
    Just Memories Eddie Kendricks
    I Guess I'll Miss The Man The Supremes
    Over And Over The Supremes
    The Good Things Where Was I When Love Came By The Naturals
    Me And My Brother The Naturals
    I Love Every Little Thing About You Syreeta
    Black Maybe Syreeta
    Papa Was A Rollin' Stone The Temptations
    Corner Of The Sky The Jackson 5
    To Know The Jackson 5
    Good Time Sally Rare Earth
    Love Shines Down Rare Earth
    Genius I Valerie Simpson
    Silly Wasn't I Valerie Simpson
    I Believe I'm Gonna Take This Ride Valerie Simpson

Grape

...part 5 of 5

What If Thelma Houston
    There Is A God Thelma Houston
    Mama I Gotta Brand New Thing Don't Say No The Undisputed Truth
    Girl You're Alright The Undisputed Truth
    With A Little Help From My Fiends The Undisputed Truth
    She Said That Lesley Gore
    The Road I Walk Lesley Gore
    Spanish Harlem The Crusaders
    Papa Hooper's Barrelhouse Groove The Crusaders
    Superstition Stevie Wonder
    You've Got It Bad Girl Stevie Wonder
    You've Got My Mind Sisters Love
    Try It You'll Like It Sisters Love
    Songwriter The Repairs
    Fiddler The Repairs
    Average People Bobby Darin
    Something In Her Love Bobby Darin
    Since I Met You There's No Magic Celebration
    The Circle Again Celebration
    Come Get This Thang GC Cameron & Willie Hutch
    My Woman GC Cameron & Willie Hutch
    Daddy's Home Jermaine Jackson
    Take Me In Your Arms Rock Me A Little While Jermaine Jackson
    I Can't Stand To See You Cry Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    With Your Love Came Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    Happy Love Theme From Lady Sings The Blues Bobby Darin
    Trouble Man Marvin Gaye
    Don't Mess With Mr T Marvin Gaye
    Robot Man Jay & The Techniques
    I'll Be Here Jay & The Techniques
    Long Life And Success To The Farmer Martin & Finley
    Half Crazed Martin & Finley
    Take It Out On Me Jerry Ross Symposium
    It's The Same Old Love Jerry Ross Symposium
    Love Ain't Love Till You Give It To Somebody The Courtship
    Oops It Just Slipped Out The Courtship
    We're Gonna Have A Good Time Rare Earth
    Would You Like To Come Along Rare Earth
    Ballad Of The Unloved Wolfe
    Tale Of Two Cities Wolfe
    It's Not The Last Time Puzzle
    On With The Show Puzzle
    Good Morning Heartache Diana Ross
    God Bless The Child Diana Ross
    I Want To Come Home For Christmas Marvin Gaye
    Christmas In The City Marvin Gaye
    Neither One Of Us Wants To Be The First To Say Goodbye Gladys Knight & The Pips

Grape

Speaking of Ampex reel to reels, here is a promotional poster from 1969 for Ampex tapes featuring The Supremes. Ampex produced both reel to reel and cassette tapes. There is also a very cool Aretha Franklin poster from the same series. I like the dot pop-art style of the poster. Sorry for the poor photo, it was really hard to get a pic of in the frame!

Name:  Supremes Ampex.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  32.6 KB

I've always thought this Billboard ad for "Ain't No Mountain" was one of the more lavish ads I'd ever seen, with the attached special picture sleeve. As far as I'm aware, they did not actually come with a record. [[I could imagine how difficult that would have been for the USPS mailing an already oversize magazine, with a record to boot!) At any rate, years ago I purchased one of these sleeves by itself and wondered why it had an odd glue strip residue on the one side, but I discounted it to a machine screwing up during the production process. When I found this ad I finally discovered my answer for the excess glue, it was one of these out of Billboard. There is also the DJ blurb on the special Billboard sleeves, which I've included a close-up of.

Name:  Diana Ad.jpg
Size:  72.0 KB

Name:  Diana Ad 1.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  65.8 KB

Name:  Diana Ad CU.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  45.0 KB

great items DWSheffer!

Thank you Marc.

Here is Yvonne Fair's Motown ID card. I acquired this not too long ago and had never seen one before in photo or in person, but I had heard of them. By the late 60's Mr. Gordy was getting pretty paranoid regarding his own security. By the time the Woodward Donovan building was in high use, you needed these cards to enter the facility, whether you were an artist or a general employee. It is signed by Yvonne and Mrs. Edwards.

Name:  Fair Cd.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  42.2 KB

Name:  Fair Cd  Bk.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  39.8 KB

This is a nice vintage piece, a mid-1968 Temptations concert program signed by the Tempt's special guests, Martha and The Vandellas. Willie Tyler and Lester also appeared at the show.

Name:  Tempts.jpg
Size:  44.7 KB

Name:  Tempts Inside.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  88.2 KB

Here are some local radio charts with Motown artists on the covers.....

Name:  Charts.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  33.7 KB

Name:  Sups Charts.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  95.4 KB

In the book The Motown Album [[1990) there is a picture from Mary Wilson in Studio A, addressing Smokey, Berry, Diana and a lot of other people. On the table in front of her is the 1965 UK Tour Program of The Tamla Motown Show, so I assume this is around that time. And Mary is wearing a T-shirt of the Dutch pirate station Radio Veronica. At the time these pirate stations, broadcasting from the North Sea just out of the territorial waters of the Netherlands and the UK , were very important for Motown, since regular stations like the BBC did not play their music. I also found a picture of Mary wearing the same T-shirt while dancing with Florence and Diana in what looks like a living room. Always wondered who’s living room this was. Anyone?
    In THE MOTOWN ALBUM, the living room was said to be at Loucye Gordy Wakefield's home.

In Diana's book, she captioned a similar photo as taking place at Flo's house. Originally I believed she said this because in her photo, you can see Flo's mother seated on the couch watching and I didn't think the girls had their own homes yet. But in another photo in her book, Diana-wearing the same outfit-poses in front of her own home. So the homes were definitely purchased by the time of this get-together.

Speaking of Willie and Lester, here is the "Quality Control" copy I acquired from a Detroit dealer. I don't recall seeing any QC LP's so found it quite interesting. I would surmise though that all records pressed, LP or 45, would have had a QC pressing submitted for approval. I guess we just don't see them on the market.

Name:  Willie.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  91.1 KB

Name:  Willie QC Label.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  35.0 KB

I've always thought this Billboard ad for "Ain't No Mountain" was one of the more lavish ads I'd ever seen, with the attached special picture sleeve. As far as I'm aware, they did not actually come with a record. [[I could imagine how difficult that would have been for the USPS mailing an already oversize magazine, with a record to boot!) At any rate, years ago I purchased one of these sleeves by itself and wondered why it had an odd glue strip residue on the one side, but I discounted it to a machine screwing up during the production process. When I found this ad I finally discovered my answer for the excess glue, it was one of these out of Billboard. There is also the DJ blurb on the special Billboard sleeves, which I've included a close-up of.

Name:  Diana Ad.jpg
Size:  72.0 KB

Name:  Diana Ad 1.jpg
Size:  65.8 KB

Name:  Diana Ad CU.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  45.0 KB
    I know there have been some very disappointed Billboard readers at my local library. Because as soon as I saw that picture sleeve, I "checked it out" and never returned it.

Your secret is good with us Reese, lol!

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Attachment 17158.

Radio City Music Hall

Can’t seem to turn it
    I learned through trial and error what worked for me was after taking the photo, I went into 'edit' mode on my phone and simply rotated the image. Even if the image photographed vertically it would still load here horizontally. But if I rotated the image on my phone 4 times [[making it back to the original vertical image), and then saved it that way, the image no longer seems to "wobble" from vertical to horizontal when I load it here.

It's worked that way since. If you see early in this thread originally the Motown Order Catalog had loaded horizontally but I was able to correct it later. I have an iPhone X.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    In THE MOTOWN ALBUM, the living room was said to be at Loucye Gordy Wakefield's home.

In Diana's book, she captioned a similar photo as taking place at Flo's house. Originally I believed she said this because in her photo, you can see Flo's mother seated on the couch watching and I didn't think the girls had their own homes yet. But in another photo in her book, Diana-wearing the same outfit-poses in front of her own home. So the homes were definitely purchased by the time of this get-together.
    Thanks a lot Reese! I never noticed that the girls were wearing the same clothes in the pictures in Diana's book. Only excuse I have is that I always concentrated more on the first page, signed for me by Diana!

Name:  dr1.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  100.8 KB

Your secret is good with us Reese, lol!
    I've been guilty in the past of doing such things!

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    Kenneth,

Your Motown catalogue also lists Easy Beats and The Other People who never had Motown releases.
    It's interesting that in both the Motown Order Forms which have been displayed here, that both seem to focus on the catalog's diversity including many Rare Earth and other artists which were relatively obscure at the time or as @luckyluckyme points out never saw a release.

I suppose Motown was always looking for the next big thing as record companies tend to do and didn't focus as much on their established acts, perhaps because they already had a certain "floor" of sales that they knew they would generate without additional hype. Any other thoughts?

... because in the general news it was only the Beatles songs that were mentioned.
    Yes, that is the point exactly why it stood out to me too.

Name:  ampex.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  88.4 KB

The Supremes on other carriers than vinyl: still sealed Ampex tape and on eight-track. Here in Europe eight-track never caught on as a format.
    I was going to make a joke that eight-track never caught on here in the States either, but I'm not sure that's really a joke. I HATED eight-track. That annoying buzzing and clicking as the tape switched between channels. YUCK. And I love your collection!

Quote Originally Posted by grapevine View Post
    ...part 5 of 5

What If Thelma Houston
    There Is A God Thelma Houston
    Mama I Gotta Brand New Thing Don't Say No The Undisputed Truth
    Girl You're Alright The Undisputed Truth
    With A Little Help From My Fiends The Undisputed Truth
    She Said That Lesley Gore
    The Road I Walk Lesley Gore
    Spanish Harlem The Crusaders
    Papa Hooper's Barrelhouse Groove The Crusaders
    Superstition Stevie Wonder
    You've Got It Bad Girl Stevie Wonder
    You've Got My Mind Sisters Love
    Try It You'll Like It Sisters Love
    Songwriter The Repairs
    Fiddler The Repairs
    Average People Bobby Darin
    Something In Her Love Bobby Darin
    Since I Met You There's No Magic Celebration
    The Circle Again Celebration
    Come Get This Thang GC Cameron & Willie Hutch
    My Woman GC Cameron & Willie Hutch
    Daddy's Home Jermaine Jackson
    Take Me In Your Arms Rock Me A Little While Jermaine Jackson
    I Can't Stand To See You Cry Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    With Your Love Came Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
    Happy Love Theme From Lady Sings The Blues Bobby Darin
    Trouble Man Marvin Gaye
    Don't Mess With Mr T Marvin Gaye
    Robot Man Jay & The Techniques
    I'll Be Here Jay & The Techniques
    Long Life And Success To The Farmer Martin & Finley
    Half Crazed Martin & Finley
    Take It Out On Me Jerry Ross Symposium
    It's The Same Old Love Jerry Ross Symposium
    Love Ain't Love Till You Give It To Somebody The Courtship
    Oops It Just Slipped Out The Courtship
    We're Gonna Have A Good Time Rare Earth
    Would You Like To Come Along Rare Earth
    Ballad Of The Unloved Wolfe
    Tale Of Two Cities Wolfe
    It's Not The Last Time Puzzle
    On With The Show Puzzle
    Good Morning Heartache Diana Ross
    God Bless The Child Diana Ross
    I Want To Come Home For Christmas Marvin Gaye
    Christmas In The City Marvin Gaye
    Neither One Of Us Wants To Be The First To Say Goodbye Gladys Knight & The Pips

Grape
    Well, now you've convinced me I was VERY short-sighted in stopping so early! Looking over the tracklisting, I'm seeing quite a lot of songs I actually do like from the 70's at Motown. I shouldda kept my eyes shut!! Oh, well, I might just eat it and pay the price on ebay!

You're very right Waiting, I hadn't noticed that! Yes, a cool modern font is used and the outlining around the group photo really adds a lot! I think I like the unreleased one better too. Here's a close up of it.
    Darin

Name:  Miracles.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  43.2 KB
    Good Lord, what was the graphic arts department thinking at Motown? Why on earth did they stick us with an album cover that looked like it was done on the cheap? I've seen better album covers on those budget, rip-off albums. This looks MUCH better than the schlepp that went out.

Thank you Marc.

Here is Yvonne Fair's Motown ID card. I acquired this not too long ago and had never seen one before in photo or in person, but I had heard of them. By the late 60's Mr. Gordy was getting pretty paranoid regarding his own security. By the time the Woodward Donovan building was in high use, you needed these cards to enter the facility, whether you were an artist or a general employee. It is signed by Yvonne and Mrs. Edwards.

Name:  Fair Cd.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  42.2 KB

Name:  Fair Cd  Bk.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  39.8 KB

Hey, I've got a proof sheet, or a copy of it anyway that this photo was taken from. It looks like a photo session and Yvonne is wearing the same thing with the same hair style as pictured here. If I find it, I'll post it here in the future.