Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Name:  motown finds [[3).jpg
Views: 736
Size:  88.3 KBName:  motown finds [[5).jpg
Views: 720
Size:  82.4 KBName:  motown finds [[6).jpg
Views: 706
Size:  97.0 KB
    Here is another original photograph used on an album cover, in this case, the rear cover of The Temptations Puzzle People. This one is attached to heavy cardboard and on the back is a plastic film and the Joe Shillair stamp.

I always liked this photo of the group. Notice the balance in composition: two guys on either end mirroring each other with one-leg-over-the-rail poses while Eddie is seated squarely in the middle. I especially love this photo because instead of the usual, standard, broad smiles, arms stretched out pose, we get a rather stoic, almost contemplative photo. I like how everyone looks deep in thought, except for Paul, who looks like he's found his serenity in this setting.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 04-12-2020 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    I was going to make a joke that eight-track never caught on here in the States either, but I'm not sure that's really a joke. I HATED eight-track. That annoying buzzing and clicking as the tape switched between channels. YUCK. And I love your collection!
    And the way some songs had to span two different "programs" on the tape, so there would be a fade out and fade in, like in a song with a Part 1 and Part 2. And if there was space left over on a program, then some songs would be repeated on the tape. And if a song you wanted to hear was 2nd or 3rd within a program, you had to listen to the songs which preceded it prior to hearing the song you wanted to hear.

Like VHS vs. Beta, Cassettes won out over 8-tracks within a very short time, I believe. The difference was I think actually Beta was a better quality than VHS whereas 8-tracks deserved their ignoble end!

@WaitingWatching, one of my favorite Tempts photos as well as one of their best albums from their first Motown era. They all looked fantastic on this cover, especially Dennis. Another great find.

I guess I'm glad I never discovered this area of collecting. I spent a fortune just on the albums I didn't have when Ebay became popular. I can't begin to think how much of this stuff I would have accumulated if unleashed!
    Last edited by kenneth; 04-12-2020 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    And the way some songs had to span two different "programs" on the tape, so there would be a fade out and fade in, like in a song with a Part 1 and Part 2. And if there was space left over on a program, then some songs would be repeated on the tape. And if a song you wanted to hear was 2nd or 3rd within a program, you had to listen to the songs which preceded it prior to hearing the song you wanted to hear.

Like VHS vs. Beta, Cassettes won out over 8-tracks within a very short time, I believe. The difference was I think actually Beta was a better quality than VHS whereas 8-tracks deserved their ignoble end!
    8 tracks were the worst. I remember the console stereo my mother had that came with an 8 track recorder.

I was going to make a joke that eight-track never caught on here in the States either, but I'm not sure that's really a joke. I HATED eight-track. That annoying buzzing and clicking as the tape switched between channels. YUCK. And I love your collection!

thanks WaitingWatching. I only have that eight-track cassette, no machine, so never played it. I do have a cassette player and lots of musicassettes

Name:  DSC03441.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  97.0 KB

Name:  callcard.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  80.9 KB A limited edition Irish telephone card from the nineties. Still fully charged!

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    I didn't think that Marvin and Tammi were still performing in concert in 1968. I thought that the last time they sang in concert together was when she collapsed on stage with him in October '67. Can anyone confirm this?
    The concert never happened so this is a rare item.

While Terrell was finally being established as a star, the migraines and headaches she had suffered from childhood were becoming more constant. While she complained of pains, she insisted to people close to her that she was well enough to perform. However, on October 14, 1967, while performing "Your Precious Love" with Gaye at Hampden–Sydney College just outside the town of Farmville, Virginia, Terrell collapsed into Gaye's arms onstage. Shortly after returning from Virginia, doctors diagnosed a malignant tumor on the right side of her brain. She underwent brain surgery at Graduate Hospital in Philadelphia on January 13, 1968

Oh yes. You know it very well, how those 8-tracks worked. UGGGGGG!

OK, so it wasn't just in my mind- I never, ever could figure out why VHS overtook Beta. Beta was infinitely better as far as picture quality. I had recorded a lot of tv shows on Beta tapes, only to have to toss 'em out. Oh, the good ol' days!

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    The concert never happened so this is a rare item.

While Terrell was finally being established as a star, the migraines and headaches she had suffered from childhood were becoming more constant. While she complained of pains, she insisted to people close to her that she was well enough to perform. However, on October 14, 1967, while performing "Your Precious Love" with Gaye at Hampden–Sydney College just outside the town of Farmville, Virginia, Terrell collapsed into Gaye's arms onstage. Shortly after returning from Virginia, doctors diagnosed a malignant tumor on the right side of her brain. She underwent brain surgery at Graduate Hospital in Philadelphia on January 13, 1968

That is eerie. The way things become collectable is sometimes so strange.

Similarly, there was a "Superman" comic book, which was to include a story sequence where Superman meets then President JFK. However, by the time the comic book was to be published, JFK had been assassinated. So the story was pulled. It looks like it was finally put on display at the JFK Presidential Library although apparently the library tried to sell it on the collectors' market before the original artist found out and made an issue out of it! In addition, LBJ apparently wanted it to come out as an homage to JFK's commitment to physical fitness [[which was the basis for the story line in the book).

Interesting story. And as Copley said, that Marvin-Tammi poster is definitely a keeper.

https://www.wbur.org/artery/2014/03/...rman-jfk-comic
    Last edited by kenneth; 04-12-2020 at 07:52 PM.

I do not own this, but is a great picture from a Motown Christmas Party:

Name:  Motown Christmas Party.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  34.9 KB

@Marv, what a fun photo. Rare to see Georgeanna from the Marvelettes in a photo like that! Definitely looks like party clothes.

Is that Diane on the other side of Stevie? It looks like her but her face seems full. Maybe it's just the way the light catches her.

Mary is gorgeous and dressed to the nines as always.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post

Wow, this is a great picture. And as Kenneth mentioned, its super nice to see Georgeanna and looking very happy to be there!

@Marv, what a fun photo. Rare to see Georgeanna from the Marvelettes in a photo like that! Definitely looks like party clothes.

Is that Diane on the other side of Stevie? It looks like her but her face seems full. Maybe it's just the way the light catches her.

Mary is gorgeous and dressed to the nines as always.
    Georgeanna looks great! Yes, that is Diane behind Stevie. I would bet money that the tall guy standing back there between the Holland brothers is Eddie Kendricks. Mary was just hot, regardless of the decade! LOL!

Wow, this is a great picture. And as Kenneth mentioned, its super nice to see Georgeanna and looking very happy to be there!
    I am pretty sure that this picture was from the Motown Company Christmas Party in 1963 at the Graystone Ballroom.

Okay, I realize this does not count as Motown memorabilia, per se, but I had to post it anyway!

I think it was an earlier thread some folks were discussing the "101 Strings Perform Supremes" album. I have that one also, but I think this one is a rare one as it was produced several years later, in the waning years of the "elevator music" genre.

I think we tend to laugh these items off as sheer exploitation, which they likely were. But don't think these producers were dummies. Notice how they found a model who resembled [[somewhat) Gladys Knight for the cover. In addition, the "101 Strings" which was never actually a working orchestra, always loaded their albums with originals, much like Berry Gordy included as many Motown published songs on Motown albums. But this album seems to take the prize in that regard. There's only three Stevie Wonder songs, and only two Gladys Knight songs. In addition we have those immortal well known hits such as "King of the Day," "Little Miss Sassie" [[!), "Hooked on You," "Baby Let's Smooth it Over," and "It's So Exciting."

These folks were mercenaries!

Name:  101 Strings.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  84.7 KB

I am pretty sure that this picture was from the Motown Company Christmas Party in 1963 at the Graystone Ballroom.
    Georgeanna wasn't in the group much later than that, was she? She's on the cover of "Marvelous" [[1963) and "Recorded Live on Stage" [[63 or 64?) but she was gone by "Greatest Hits" which as recently discussed was nearly three years later. Hard to tell from the fashions. Georgeanna's styling compared to Mary's shows how different the two groups really were. Georgeanna's look is definitely from the 60s whereas Mary could wear today what she has on then and still look contemporary.

Yes it does look like Eddie in the back, or possibly Marvin Gaye? But Gaye was not that tall, was he? Didn't the Tempts require all their members to be at least 6'?

Who is the gentleman sitting next to Mary?
    Last edited by kenneth; 04-12-2020 at 09:47 PM.

Georgeanna wasn't in the group much later than that, was she? She's on the cover of "Marvelous" [[1963) and "Recorded Live on Stage" [[63 or 64?) but she was gone by "Greatest Hits" which as recently discussed was nearly three years later. Hard to tell from the fashions. Georgeanna's styling compared to Mary's shows how different the two groups really were. Georgeanna's look is definitely from the 60s whereas Mary could wear today what she has on then and still look contemporary.

Yes it does look like Eddie in the back, or possibly Marvin Gaye? But Gaye was not that tall, was he? Didn't the Tempts require all their members to be at least 6'?

Georgeanna stayed with the group until the early part of 1965 when she began to become ill. She stayed and worked for Motown until they moved out West in 1972. Her son Darrin said years ago, that his mom loved singing and being in the Marvelettes and when she could no longer do that, she was just never quite the same.

At first, I thought that guy might be Marvin Gaye too, but Nah, that looks more like Eddie Kendricks and from another picture, I saw from this party Eddie was there. Yes, the Tempts had that height requirement. The man sitting next to Mary is Mickey Stevenson, Head of A&R for Motown

At first, I thought that guy might be Marvin Gaye too, but Nah, that looks more like Eddie Kendricks and from another picture, I saw from this party Eddie was there. Yes, the Tempts had that height requirement. The man sitting next to Mary is Mickey Stevenson, Head of A&R for Motown
    Oh, thanks! I've seen very few photos of Stevenson from back then. I met him the night Scherrie and Susaye sang at Vitello's in LA. He is still a very dashing, elegant man who was so gracious when I told him how much I loved his music my whole life. Come to think of it, I believe he is also pretty tall. I stand almost 6'3" and as I recall he was about my height. Definitely a real class act.

Okay, I realize this does not count as Motown memorabilia, per se, but I had to post it anyway!

I think it was an earlier thread some folks were discussing the "101 Strings Perform Supremes" album. I have that one also, but I think this one is a rare one as it was produced several years later, in the waning years of the "elevator music" genre.

I think we tend to laugh these items off as sheer exploitation, which they likely were. But don't think these producers were dummies. Notice how they found a model who resembled [[somewhat) Gladys Knight for the cover. In addition, the "101 Strings" which was never actually a working orchestra, always loaded their albums with originals, much like Berry Gordy included as many Motown published songs on Motown albums. But this album seems to take the prize in that regard. There's only three Stevie Wonder songs, and only two Gladys Knight songs. In addition we have those immortal well known hits such as "King of the Day," "Little Miss Sassie" [[!), "Hooked on You," "Baby Let's Smooth it Over," and "It's So Exciting."

These folks were mercenaries!

Name:  101 Strings.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  84.7 KB
    The model is Gloria Hendry, of LIVE AND LET DIE and BLACK CAESAR fame.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    The model is Gloria Hendry, of LIVE AND LET DIE and BLACK CAESAR fame.
    No kidding, really? That’s fascinating!

Marv2, Could this be a 1964 Christmas Party? Would the Supremes be so dressed up in late 1963? [[Diana & Flo in furs!) By December 1964 The Supremes were definitely the Queens of Motown.

This is a rare album but I was shocked to see a DJ sample copy that as far as I know was not replicated on any other early Tamla album release.

Name:  B7BA437F-C3C2-48BC-A973-04C151F2AB2A.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  11.8 KBName:  B7BA437F-C3C2-48BC-A973-04C151F2AB2A.jpg
Size:  11.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Marv2, Could this be a 1964 Christmas Party? Would the Supremes be so dressed up in late 1963? [[Diana & Flo in furs!) By December 1964 The Supremes were definitely the Queens of Motown.
    You may be on to something. “Lovelight” wasn’t even until 1964, was it?

Quote Originally Posted by justanothermotownfan View Post
    This is a rare album but I was shocked to see a DJ sample copy that as far as I know was not replicated on any other early Tamla album release.

Name:  B7BA437F-C3C2-48BC-A973-04C151F2AB2A.jpg
Size:  11.8 KB
    Really beautiful label copies. This was actually the very first release on Tamla wasn’t it? I suppose that means anything is possible at that point. What a unique item.

Name:  midem.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  105.8 KB

In 1968 the Supremes performed at the Midem in Cannes, France. Midem [[Marché international de l'édition musicale) is a yearly music fair since 1967. In 1994 Diana Ross was honoured with a special edition of her One Woman-CD. I have box No. 0655.

Mary Wilson Fan Club

Attachment 17035
    Kenneth, do you know much about the MWFC? How many newsletters were produced and when? I'm looking for another fan that might have copies; I'm looking for one in specific, and have several duplicates that I'd be willing to trade. In all I have collected about 20 issues from 1982 - 2001, but know I'm missing at least one.

Flo looks radiant.

Well, now you've convinced me I was VERY short-sighted in stopping so early! Looking over the tracklisting, I'm seeing quite a lot of songs I actually do like from the 70's at Motown. I shouldda kept my eyes shut!! Oh, well, I might just eat it and pay the price on ebay!
    Yes Waiting ...it wouldn't be ...The Complete Motown Singles ...unless it was ...COMPLETE...!! ...IMHO...!

Grape

Name:  IMG_20200413_141141.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  89.5 KB

I hope this works....it should show me and a friend in Studio A at Hitsville

Name:  IMG_20200413_141209.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  96.9 KB.

CD collection....not all..eg TCMS set not shown
    Last edited by snakepit; 04-13-2020 at 09:27 AM.

Name:  IMG_20200413_141100.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  92.7 KB

Photos from my "den"

Name:  IMG_20200413_141114.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  95.7 KB

More from "The Snakepit"

Name:  IMG_20200413_141241.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  101.1 KB

Sanctuary

Name:  IMG_20200413_141124.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  87.1 KB

Marvin Gaye autograph from 1976

Name:  IMG_20200413_141145.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  90.2 KB
    More from the den
    Last edited by snakepit; 04-13-2020 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Kenneth, do you know much about the MWFC? How many newsletters were produced and when? I'm looking for another fan that might have copies; I'm looking for one in specific, and have several duplicates that I'd be willing to trade. In all I have collected about 20 issues from 1982 - 2001, but know I'm missing at least one.
    I’m sorry I don’t. I was never in the club. I think I got the membership card when I wrote to Mary Wilson and asked her for a photo.

Perhaps someone else knows about the publication that you’re looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky2012 View Post
    Lucky, it is the '63 Christmas party based on other pics I've seen from this party. The Supremes had just gotten their first hit about a month earlier with "When The Love Light Starts Shining Through His Eyes". The Marvelettes were higher up in rank and got more expensive Christmas gifts as compared to the Supremes.

I know you were asking Kenneth, but I was a member beginning in late 1975 until I can't remember. I was still getting newsletters in the mail in the late 90s, maybe early 2000s
    Last edited by marv2; 04-13-2020 at 02:22 PM.

"Would the Supremes be so dressed up in late 1963? [[Diana & Flo in furs!)"

Lucky 2012, to me the coats, especially Florence's, look like "fun furs," which were a fad at the time. The coats seem to lack the luster of real fur and also the hairs seem a bit too long and too fluffy to be mink; they look like angora kittens' fur! Also, the colors change from presumably dark brown to lighter brown to rusty brown to beige in a random pattern that does not resemble any of the status furs -- who ever heard of a calico or striped ermine? -- and does not resemble leopard spots or zebra or tiger markings. The coats seem like cheap imitations. At least the fun furs that Diana and Florence wore on the back of their Christmas album didn't try too hard; they were synthetic pile and didn't pretend to be more than that.

Sophisticated Soul and Waiting Watching...the fact that Where Did Our Love Go was played for the astronauts, supposedly at the astronauts' request, was reported more than might be expected. It was a big deal. I read about it in either Time or Newsweek, the leading news magazines of the day, while sitting on my parents' porch in the sunshine. This was long before the group had a "household name," and the writer identified them as [[paraphrasing) "The Supremes, apparently three young girls from Detroit..."

Sophisticated Soul and Waiting Watching...the fact that Where Did Our Love Go was played for the astronauts, supposedly at the astronauts' request, was reported more than might be expected. It was a big deal. I read about it in either Time or Newsweek, the leading news magazines of the day, while sitting on my parents' porch in the sunshine.

This was long before the group had become a "household name," and the writer identified them as [[paraphrasing) "The Supremes, apparently three young girls from Detroit..."

Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post
    "Would the Supremes be so dressed up in late 1963? [[Diana & Flo in furs!)"

Lucky 2012, to me the coats, especially Florence's, look like "fun furs," which were a fad at the time. The coats seem to lack the luster of real fur and also the hairs seem a bit too long and too fluffy to be mink; they look like angora kittens' fur! Also, the colors change from presumably dark brown to lighter brown to rusty brown to beige in a random pattern that does not resemble any of the status furs -- who ever heard of a calico or striped ermine? -- and does not resemble leopard spots or zebra or tiger markings. The coats seem like cheap imitations. At least the fun furs that Diana and Florence wore on the back of their Christmas album didn't try too hard; they were synthetic pile and didn't pretend to be more than that.
    Lol. Thank you for the info about "furs"! The Supremes still look more "prosperous" than the others in the photo. It was a sign of good things to come!

I know you were asking Kenneth, but I was a member beginning in late 1975 until I can't remember. I was still getting newsletters in the mail in the late 90s, maybe early 2000s
    Thanks marv. These are great pieces of memorabilia. Can you imagine a time of no Internet and having to wait for newsletters to find out all of the happenings?

Thanks marv. These are great pieces of memorabilia. Can you imagine a time of no Internet and having to wait for newsletters to find out all of the happenings?
    I can imagine. I can remember calling Carl the publisher and president long-distance until my father put a stop to it! LOL!

I think one of the last newsletters I got was in 2003 -2004. I remember pictures of Mary with Johnny Bristol in that one. So I was getting them for roughly 25 years! Wow!

@sophisticated_soul,

Joseph, Forgive my ignorance, but what do the above album covers represent? Are they reel-to-reel tapes possibly?

K

@sophisticated_soul,

Joseph, Forgive my ignorance, but what do the above album covers represent? Are they reel-to-reel tapes possibly?

K
    No ignorance. Yes, they are reel-to-reel. I meant to state that.