[REMOVE ADS]

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    I love these red vinyl promos. I wonder if there is a story behind their always being red. I mean, you don't see blue or green vinyl promos...
    Although the majority of Motown colored vinyl singles were red, there are a few that were pressed on yellow or blue vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    Although the majority of Motown colored vinyl singles were red, there are a few that were pressed on yellow or blue vinyl.
    I have a green promo 45 for POPS, WE LOVE YOU.

Name:  vinyl.jpg
Views: 1367
Size:  94.6 KB

Here's the green promo for the 7" Pops, we love you and the yellow one for Mahogany

Name:  DSC03465.jpg
Views: 1225
Size:  94.2 KB

and the pink double vinyl from the Diana album

Quote Originally Posted by motown_marc View Post
    Name:  vinyl.jpg
Views: 1367
Size:  94.6 KB

Here's the green promo for the 7" Pops, we love you and the yellow one for Mahogany
    NIIIIIICE!!!! Ok, question answered, thanks Marc, luckyluckyme and reese!

Name:  DSC03465.jpg
Views: 1225
Size:  94.2 KB

and the pink double vinyl from the Diana album
    Wow! I never was crazy about the color pink [[except for the Supremes A-Go-Go album and The Marvelettes PINK album) but this is really eye-catching!

Name:  SharedImage-101978.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  66.7 KB

And how about the transparent vinyl Supertonic - The Remixes by Diana Ross: Limited Edition on Crystal Clear Vinyl? On sale from May 29: https://thesoundofvinyl.com/*/*/Supe...yl/6GDT0000000

Name:  SharedImage-101978.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  66.7 KB

And how about the transparent vinyl Supertonic - The Remixes by Diana Ross: Limited Edition on Crystal Clear Vinyl? On sale from May 29: https://thesoundofvinyl.com/*/*/Supe...yl/6GDT0000000
    You got my eyes opened a bit more, Marc- I'm going to have to start paying more attention to things like this on ebay. I love all the unique variations on the colored-vinyl releases, but I think this tops everything I've seen. Transparent; beautiful!

It will be my first transparent Waiting; and for € 20.99 plus shipping, that's not too bad. It surely will be a collector's item. And it has her latest #1 Dance Chart hit from last month: Love Hangover.

Name:  SharedImage-96515.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  69.2 KB

okay, one more

Name:  DSC03467.jpg
Views: 1349
Size:  94.9 KB

final one for today: Diana Ross - Love songs

Nice

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    The model is Gloria Hendry, of LIVE AND LET DIE and BLACK CAESAR fame.
    @Reese,

I had to show this to you. I would have never noticed that another album of mine had the same model on the cover if you hadn't identified her as Gloria Hendry. Here's another album from the same label as the 101 Strings, with the same lady, who is in fact wearing the same dress and also appears to be from the same photo session!

I photoed the back cover as well, so you could see the very carefully titled tunes. I bet you anything some of these tunes masqueraded under different titles based on the album they appeared on. "Blow One for Otis?" "Wilson, Otis and Aretha?" "Study War no More?" [[I doubt this is actually "Joshua Fit the Battle of Jericho," but perhaps.)

I'm telling you, these guys were recyclers long before it was popular!

Name:  SoulSauce1.jpg
Views: 1107
Size:  37.3 KB

Name:  SoulSauce2.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  96.5 KB
    Last edited by kenneth; 04-28-2020 at 03:03 PM.

And for both Kenneth & Reese:
    Name:  P1010641.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  75.4 KB

Name:  R-4615119-1370006726-1104.jpeg.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  65.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    @Reese,

I had to show this to you. I would have never noticed that another album of mine had the same model on the cover if you hadn't identified her as Gloria Hendry. Here's another album from the same label as the 101 Strings, with the same lady, who is in fact wearing the same dress and also appears to be from the same photo session!

I photoed the back cover as well, so you could see the very carefully titled tunes. I bet you anything some of these tunes masqueraded under different titles based on the album they appeared on. "Blow One for Otis?" "Wilson, Otis and Aretha?" "Study War no More?" [[I doubt this is actually "Joshua Fit the Battle of Jericho," but perhaps.)

How does this album sound? From what I recall, Paul Griffin was quite a keyboardist in addition to being Valerie Simpson's first husband.

Name:  DSC03467.jpg
Views: 1349
Size:  94.9 KB

final one for today: Diana Ross - Love songs
    Another fantastic one, Marc! I love all these specialty vinyl releases!

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    How does this album sound? From what I recall, Paul Griffin was quite a keyboardist in addition to being Valerie Simpson's first husband.
    @Reese, No kidding, really? Well, of course I have never played it but I will and let you know!

@LuckyLuckyMe, another fun find. Thanks for posting those great album covers. They sure got their money's worth out of Ms. Hendry's photo shoot!
    Last edited by kenneth; 04-29-2020 at 12:28 PM.

Name:  B Holloway2.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  87.1 KB

A Dutch Brenda Holloway picture sleeve that I found in a cut out rack in a record shop in Innsbruck, Austria in 1972.

Wow! Nice photo but also, I like that they actually put "A Helluva Holloway Hit" on the cover! I agree 100%!

Wow! Nice photo but also, I like that they actually put "A Helluva Holloway Hit" on the cover! I agree 100%!
    And in English too, rather than Dutch.

But I just looked it up and in Dutch it would be "Een Helluva Holloway Hit". Oh well!

Ah but .... "Je hebt me zo blij gemaakt" & "Ik moet het vinden".

I think English is best.
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 05-23-2020 at 04:48 AM.

Name:  IMG_20200523_134048.jpg
Views: 878

The Snakepit welcomes you..Motown style

Name:  IMG_20200523_134000.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  96.2 KB

Relax...Motown Style

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    And in English too, rather than Dutch.

But I just looked it up and in Dutch it would be "Een Helluva Holloway Hit". Oh well!

Ah but .... "Je hebt me zo blij gemaakt" & "Ik moet het vinden".

I think English is best.
    Yeah, it does lose something in translation!

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Name:  IMG_20200523_134048.jpg
Views: 878

The Snakepit welcomes you..Motown style
    Well now, this DO looking inviting!

@Reese,

Yeah Gloria Hendry; Great actress, best friends with Mary Wilson.

I finally found what I had been looking for amongst my "souvenirs." I had mentioned to @WaitingWatching that I had a special Marvelettes collectable. This is it.

Back in 1996, there was an ad in Goldmine Magazine that Wanda was signing a limited number of photographs. I think I paid $15 for the photo, perhaps. I thought I had even saved the original Goldmine classified ad. As I recall, the photos were mailed from San Francisco, and in the ad it said something like "guaranteed that Wanda Rogers will get all the proceeds from the sale of the autographed photos."

I couldn't find the ad, but here's the photo and the Certificate of Authenticity. I think an unusual collectable though I know many celebrities sell their autographs and don't pass them out for free anymore.

Name:  Wanda1.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  67.9 KB

Name:  Wanda2.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  72.5 KB

Four Tops In Concert

After the show, I went backstage and met all 4 of the Top's , Obie Benson was superb and he got the other three to come out of the changing room and we had a chat for 20mins, they signed all of my albums.

Attachment 17526

I finally found what I had been looking for amongst my "souvenirs." I had mentioned to @WaitingWatching that I had a special Marvelettes collectable. This is it.

Back in 1996, there was an ad in Goldmine Magazine that Wanda was signing a limited number of photographs. I think I paid $15 for the photo, perhaps. I thought I had even saved the original Goldmine classified ad. As I recall, the photos were mailed from San Francisco, and in the ad it said something like "guaranteed that Wanda Rogers will get all the proceeds from the sale of the autographed photos."

I couldn't find the ad, but here's the photo and the Certificate of Authenticity. I think an unusual collectable though I know many celebrities sell their autographs and don't pass them out for free anymore.

Name:  Wanda1.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  67.9 KB

Name:  Wanda2.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  72.5 KB
    WOW [[says I with eyes as huge as saucers)! I don't know how I missed this but, well done, Kenneth! I love that woman, well, all of them; this is truly one of the best things someone could have. I'd love hearing your recollection about meeting Wanda.

WOW [[says I with eyes as huge as saucers)! I don't know how I missed this but, well done, Kenneth! I love that woman, well, all of them; this is truly one of the best things someone could have. I'd love hearing your recollection about meeting Wanda.
    Thanks @Waiting! I never got to meet her. The autograph was offered via Goldmine Magazine. Hard to believe it's already almost 25 years ago...yikes!

There are several members who I believe have met Wanda. I too would love to hear about any recollections any members have of this lovely lady and great singer.

Tammi LP artwork

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    This is Motown's photo proof for the cover of Tammi's "Irresistible" LP. It's still mounted on board and has Joe's typed description at the bottom, similar to Waitings' item.

Attachment 17026
    Tammi's autograph is very rare. I have never seen her autograph

Quote Originally Posted by TammiTerrellFan View Post
    Tammi's autograph is very rare. I have never seen her autograph
    I think I have only seen maybe two or three examples of Tammi's autograph, and only in pictures, never in person. One of my biggest misses was an album on Ebay years ago that was signed by her. It was a short inscription to someone and unfortunately she only signed it "T. T." instead of her complete signature. At that time I was new to collecting Motown and wasn't sure if it actually was her writing or not, as I had never seen any examples. I later found out it was authentic. I kick myself regardless as it only sold for like $30 or $40. Maybe someday I'll be able to acquire something signed by her. We share the same birthday, April 29th, so I've always felt a connection to her.
    Darin

Here is my Chris Clark memorabilia I threw together.
    Name:  IMG_3307.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  89.9 KB

This is a pretty rare item, a large cardboard concert poster for Marvin and Tammi. The size is 21" by 27", so pretty good size for a concert placard. I fretted the whole time it was in transit in the postal service, hoping it would arrive in good condition and not bent in half! I was relieved when it arrived OK. It has some wear and corner damage, but it's a miracle it survives at all, being it was meant to be thrown away after the concert.
    Darin

Attachment 16995
    Darin sure is a great item to have. I sure do love Marvin & Tammi, I have seen fake Tammi signatures online. Funny your poster is from my state. Gonna check to see if that venue still exists. Peace

I think I have only seen maybe two or three examples of Tammi's autograph, and only in pictures, never in person. One of my biggest misses was an album on Ebay years ago that was signed by her. It was a short inscription to someone and unfortunately she only signed it "T. T." instead of her complete signature. At that time I was new to collecting Motown and wasn't sure if it actually was her writing or not, as I had never seen any examples. I later found out it was authentic. I kick myself regardless as it only sold for like $30 or $40. Maybe someday I'll be able to acquire something signed by her. We share the same birthday, April 29th, so I've always felt a connection to her.
    Darin
    Darin, Tammi probably was signing just TT when her illness was getting worse. Good to know. Peace Randy

This is Motown's photo proof for the cover of Tammi's "Irresistible" LP. It's still mounted on board and has Joe's typed description at the bottom, similar to Waitings' item.

Attachment 17026
    Darin, sure do love seeing this Tammi, Thanks for sharing.