[REMOVE ADS]

Sammy Davis Jr. Podcast 'The Death of an Entertainer'

I highly recommend listening to this chapter of Mo Rocca's Mobituaries podcast. Rocca gives a great overview of Davis' career and features comments from Dionne, Chita Rivera and others. A nice reminder of this once-in-a-lifetime entertainer -

https://www.mobituaries.com/the-podc...e-entertainer/

Well taken. But all you really need to know is: tapped with his family; went solo; Rat Pack years; pseudo-Sinatra; kissed Archie Bunker; widow, Alovise left pretty much penniless ; Tommy Davidson's spot-on impersonation.

thatanyway Guest
    Mr. Showbusiness.

Singing: "Mr. Bojangles... Mr. Bojangles..."

'The man could dance...

And sing, and play drums, and act, and play vibes, and whistle... Man, could he whistle...

<3

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Well taken. But all you really need to know is: tapped with his family; went solo; Rat Pack years; pseudo-Sinatra; kissed Archie Bunker; widow, Alovise left pretty much penniless ; Tommy Davidson's spot-on impersonation.
    Well, perhaps if you listen to the podcast you will learn a thing or two and expand your knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by thatanyway View Post
    Mr. Showbusiness.

Singing: "Mr. Bojangles... Mr. Bojangles..."

'The man could dance...

And sing, and play drums, and act, and play vibes, and whistle... Man, could he whistle...

<3
    Wow - quite a bit of negativity towards a Black American trailblazer. Then again we are living in Donald Trump's America.

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    He was waaaaay more important than that. Google Sammy Davis Jr. documentaries, please.

Thank you, Midnightman. Sometimes the children [[regardless of age ...) need a bit of schooling.

thatanyway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Wow - quite a bit of negativity towards a Black American trailblazer. Then again we are living in Donald Trump's America.
    WHAT are you talking about?!

I LOVE Sammy Davis Jr.

Are you accusing me of being RACIST??????????????????

I don't know how THE FUCK you read my post, but that's ON YOU.

I LOVE Sammy Davis Jr.

In some people’s distorted minds, everyone is a racist.

thatanyway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    In some people’s distorted minds, everyone is a racist.

I'm speechless.

I have worn the ''I'm the white hoe here'' t-shirt quite frequently. I didn't mind. Sometimes things take time, even if they've got nothing to do with the people in the room. Sometimes there are guys who are out in the world, but their fam at home might not be, and so someone among them might shout ''I'm not cooking for her!'' and stuff through a wall. It's nobody's fault.
    IRL. That happens. What's that white hoe doing here??? <3 ...She's waiting to be promoted to ''what's that white bitch still doing here?" <3 Hmmm, perhaps Sammy Davis Jr's Swedish WIFE went through something similar?

However, how anyone can interpret a note of love for Sammy Davis in such a way... Let's just move on. It didn't happen. Next.

I LOVE Sammy Davis Jr.

What lovely language and attitude for Easter Sunday. I wish you well.

thatanyway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    What lovely language and attitude for Easter Sunday. I wish you well.

Oh no no no, you don't.

I come in here and talk about Sammy Davis Jr.

YOU for some absurd reason that no one will ever understand *call me a racist as a reply*.

*THAT is the language and attitude at hand. Yours.*

You keep it, and don't offer me an apology. You should, you know. That is the very least you should do.

I say, let's move on, it never happened, thus offering you the chance to get out of the situation you put yourself in. You don't take it! Nope, you're back in here complaining about MY whatever.

thatanyway Guest
    You are under the false impression that you're elegant...

There is nothing elegant about your behaviour.

Elegant means stylish. And there is nothing stylish to be found in reading things as wrong as you do, and not being able to apologize for a behaviour such as the one you have displayed.

I hope that you have been able to replace your job at the water park under the circumstances.
    It seems to me that this might be an example of the level of mental health in these difficult times.

You say that ''we live in Donald Trump's America''. I don't live in America.
    I live in Sweden. This is where Sammy Davis Jr.'s wife May-Britt came from. And this is where the musical "From Sammy With Love" played 180 sold out shows a few years ago and was transferred to the Apollo Theatre after that. Did you know that? Nope.

That's an example. There is an awful lot more that I could in fact tell you on this topic.

Do you think that Sammy Davis Jr would have approved of your behaviour under his name?

You will perhaps come in with another one-liner, that you will work on for an hour, but I think that we can do without it.

https://www.musicians-corner.net/Rem...ammy-Davis-Jr/

I have banned thatanyway for bad behavior.

I regret that this thread took such an unnecessary and completely incomprehensible turn. I hope that more members will revert to the original intention of the thread, which is to make interested members aware that there is a great, recent podcast looking into the life and legacy of Sammy Davis Jr. His contributions to the American arts and popular entertainment may not be for everyone but should not be ignored. I though the podcast would be of particular interest in that Dionne Warwick [[among others) has such high regard for Davis. Have a listen! And Happy Easter/Passover/Covid recovery to all!

I avoided this thread like the plague for a number or reasons one being we been suffering
    a lot of losses in recent weeks so the title alone struck me as a bit morbid. 2nd I've
    loved him all my life and though I've been trying to downsize my library I still can't seem
    to get rid of my Sammy autobiographies. I know his life beginning to end too well and my
    father's side of the family knew him personally. I won't get into that. But now I peek
    into this thread to see maybe what the novices might be enjoying learning and there's all this drama...Dang! And no offense, folks, but the notion that his life and contributions
    can be capsulized by 6, 7 phrases is more than borderline ridiculous...geez...

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I avoided this thread like the plague for a number or reasons one being we been suffering
    a lot of losses in recent weeks so the title alone struck me as a bit morbid. 2nd I've
    loved him all my life and though I've been trying to downsize my library I still can't seem
    to get rid of my Sammy autobiographies. I know his life beginning to end too well and my
    father's side of the family knew him personally. I won't get into that. But now I peek
    into this thread to see maybe what the novices might be enjoying learning and there's all this drama...Dang! And no offense, folks, but the notion that his life and contributions
    can be capsulized by 6, 7 phrases is more than borderline ridiculous...geez...
    Absurd, isn't it, Splanky? I do agree that the title is morbid-sounding but that's just a catchy title for Mo Rocca's podcast series [[which is excellent). The podcast is very uplifting and I highly recommend a listen; Davis was SO well-regarded and all who knew him speak with great love and awe of his talents. I just love his 60's lps, and Rocca will lead you to some spine-tingling clips that can be found on YT. Best!