[REMOVE ADS]

Liz Lands: Echo In The Background

Nice post. The song started well but personally I struggle with Liz's voice. Clearly she has something and her voice is clear [[as demonstrated here) but she's just too shrill for my liking.

I was going to say the same thing. She started off great, but then for some reason she started singing in a high pitch range.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  21.1 KB
    If I remember correctly, that Atlanta, Georgia label was owned by Liz and her husband. I don't think this semi-Pop tune which also included Liz's pushing her voice to those extreme high notes had any market potential. She should have stuck to Bluesy and Gospel-tinted songs, whose fans would have been used to that more emotional style. Motown dropped her when they decided to concentrate on the Pop market, and dropped all their Blues and most of their Gospel artists. It's a shame, because she, and Hattie Littles were excellent singers, as were all the Gospel groups that Motown had record for Motown, Tamla, and Divinity Records.

Yes, I agree that she needed a producer in the session, to tell her NOT to range way up to ridiculous heights, when the song doesn't call for it.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  21.1 KB
    If I remember correctly, that Atlanta, Georgia label was owned by Liz and her husband. I don't think this semi-Pop tune which also included Liz's pushing her voice to those extreme high notes had any market potential. She should have stuck to Bluesy and Gospel-tinted songs, whose fans would have been used to that more emotional style. Motown dropped her when they decided to concentrate on the Pop market, and dropped all their Blues and most of their Gospel artists. It's a shame, because she, and Hattie Littles were excellent singers, as were all the Gospel groups that Motown had record for Motown, Tamla, and Divinity Records.

Yes, I agree that she needed a producer in the session, to tell her NOT to range way up to ridiculous heights, when the song doesn't call for it.
    Robb, I agree. I had the pleasure of hearing Hattie Littles sing in Detroit several years before she passed. She was indeed great!

Interesting record & thanks for posting! A talented lady for sure.

I hope nobody throws stones at me for bringing this name into this thread: Mariah Carey. Like her or not, she too has one of those phenomenal vocal ranges. But I'll say this for her; she knows that just because you can hit the high notes doesn't mean you should. Liz Lands had a voice that I don't think was easy to fit into musical category. Too big for pop, yet not really a soul/r&b voice either. Had Motown kept her, I think she would have faced the same issues Kim Weston did. Kim had a big voice that Motown had no true idea how to effectively use either [[only HDH seemed to know what worked best for Kim.)

I only heard Liz sing by getting a Motorcity early 90's that had the duet with Johnny Bristol "Someday We'll Be Together", which I liked. I had seen her name in my various studies of Motown in several places...I remember reading that she had a voice that was "hard to contain".
    Reminds me of Susaye Green... little too much going on at one time for my taste...although, IMHO until she starts screetching, Liz's voice has a warmer more pleasant and earthy tone