[REMOVE ADS]

Bill Withers has passed!

https://apnews.com/e19138ee60f29a319...33dca9a261cb8a

RIP to one of my all time favorites! I hope he finds his “Grandma’s Hands” up there.
    Last edited by jboy88; 04-03-2020 at 05:52 PM.

Yeah,just heard about it,another legend gone-ain't no sunshine is a classic that will endure always,one of the greatest b-sides of alltime[let me in your life]is a bill withers classic...r.i.p.

great singer

edafan

Great artist. Just look at the number of artists who sampled or covered his work. Other than James Brown i cannot really think of many others. Wonderful artist. May he r.i.p.

Had the pleasure of meeting and sitting with Bill and his wife at Ray Parkers Walk of Fame event... Very nice and humble guy...

He was absolutely one of the all-time greats. No one could interpret a song like Bill Withers. I have a lot of his work in my collection. I am very sorry to hear this. My condolences go out to his family, friends, and fans everywhere. Rest in peace Bil and thanks man.

Marv

This is the song that got me ready for school many mornings during my last year of high school:

He was on some awards ceremony or maybe a PBS special, can't remember which, and I was impressed with his sense of humor and personality as well as always loving his music.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Great artist. Just look at the number of artists who sampled or covered his work. Other than James Brown i cannot really think of many others. Wonderful artist. May he r.i.p.
    I can think of a few off the top of my head:

Lyn Collins
    Nancy Wilson
    Gladys Knight & The Pips
    Barbra Streisand
    Diana Ross
    Queen Latifah
    Michael Jackson

Fwd: Bill Withers has Passed!

Quote Originally Posted by monicarivers View Post

Lyn Collins
    Nancy Wilson
    Gladys Knight & The Pips
    Barbra Streisand
    Diana Ross
    Queen Latifah
    Michael Jackson
    Also, the 5th Dimension.

You can add Aretha, Merry Clayton, Meshell NdegeOcello and Vanessa Williams to the list.

Questlove has stated that Withers is the closest figure African-American music has to a Springsteen. This struck me as spot on. An extraordinary Everyman.
    Last edited by sansradio; 04-05-2020 at 01:26 PM. Reason: added "Aretha"

Amazing man with god given talent. Lean on me got me through some real rough times. Speedy journey to heaven Mr Withers your heavenly choirs waiting for you.

Bill is a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductee:

Bill Withers: As I Am [[2005)

I was searching for a live performance I viewed on YouTube last year with Bill Withers and his lovely and talented daughter, Kori Withers. Couldn't find it. I did come across a jewel, in my search a May 2011 concert for Bill Withers celebrating 40 years of great music featuring his daughter, Kori singing capella. She certainly has her father's pipes:

Bill Withers Tribute - Kori Withers

Here's more of the May 2011 concert for Bill Withers featuring various artists:

Bill Withers Tribute - Lovely Day [[featuring all artists)

Bill Withers - Lean On Me // Live At The Peppermint Club

All through the day, all through the night.....remembering the time:

He was a icon. May he RIP.

An interview with Bill back home in West Virginia:

Quote Originally Posted by monicarivers View Post

Lyn Collins
    Nancy Wilson
    Gladys Knight & The Pips
    Barbra Streisand
    Diana Ross
    Queen Latifah
    Michael Jackson
    I think you misunderstood my post. I was trying to say that his work had been covered and sampled by a vast amount of artists from many different genres. Perhaps more than just about any other artist with the possible exception of James Brown, but re-reading my post i perhaps did not word it as clearly as i should have done.

Agree with all of you. Question, though, is it true he gave up the fame & fortune to be a carpenter in the mountains? Heard that rumor years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Agree with all of you. Question, though, is it true he gave up the fame & fortune to be a carpenter in the mountains? Heard that rumor years ago.
    I don't know if that is true about being a carpenter in the mountains. He did step way back from the entertainment industry though.

Bill Withers still had his voice all the way up to the end. I wonder why he just stopped singing.

Cause of Bill Withers death revealed:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...144230263.html

A real shame. What a great artist Bill really was.

I don't know if what I'm about to post is rubbish. I have no musical, or artistic, talent whatsoever. I can't play any instrument or read or write music, so what I say may be nonsense.

When I listen to music, some of it sounds black, like it was created for a black audience. Some other songs sounds more like they were created for white audiences. To me, the vast majority of songs that have a black feel to them are by far the best.

I feel a lot of Bill's earlier stuff on Sussex has a black feel to it, while his later stuff has more of a white feel. Even songs that Bill let other artists record, like Cold Baloney, and Justified, to me have a black feel.

Bill's stuff on Sussex is absolutely superb. Even his live album had some amazing tracks, though I would have loved to hear a studio version of World Keeps Going Around.

I hope what I've posted isn't controversial, I wouldn't want to upset anyone, it's just a feeling I get when I hear some songs, they either have a black feel, or they don't and the ones that don't tend not to be as good as the ones that do.