This surely was a trip back in time for me since no one had been beyond the first floor in several years. I wandered down every hallway, and into offices and departments that were not locked. Some that were locked, I pried open and of course snooped to my hearts content. In one desk drawer I found two Grammy Nomination Plaques. One was for Baby Love [[1964) while the other was for Shotgun by Jr. Walker & the All Stars [[1965). In another office I found three Citation of Achievement Awards [[given to Gwenn Gordy by BMI. The first was dated 1959 for the recording "Lonely Teardrops." The second was dated 1958 and was for "To Be Loved." The third was dated 1960 for "You've Got What It Takes." I wondered how she possibly could have left these behind [[must have been in one hell of a hurry to get to LA).

As I wandered into the studios, I totally freaked. They were in total dismay, as electrical parts were strewn all over the floor, with wires hanging out of the wall [[as if someone had literally tore the equipment out of the walls in a mad rush to disassembled and get out as fast as they could. By looking at this area, I could surely tell that this was not done by any professionals. My only thoughts were, "So this is the picture of the demise of the Motown Sound!! God, I only wish I had a camera.

The 10th floor still had large computer equipment sitting there, which I know for that time, was worth a small fortune. What amazed me here was that they were sitting there since the move in 1972 with several inches of dust and dirt on them. It's as if this building and it's contents were forgotten and lost in time.

As I had stated earlier, Hitsville moved once again and sign a 5 year lease on the new offices. After about ten months, Motown closed it's distributorship of their tapes and records, they contracted outside independent companies to promote and distribute new releases and restock current catalog product. Progress Distributors from Cleveland, Ohio worked the midwest area for the label.

The day Hitsville closed it's doors, Berry's sister Esther, along with a couple of Motown employees were on hand to make sure that when the Hitsville crew left the premises [[mainly management staff) they only took their own personal belongings and nothing else. You see, there was evidence that stock was being stolen from the warehouse. Of course, proper records had never been kept on inventory with Motown. I know for a fact that certain people at the Los Angeles headquarters were being kept informed of the situation in Detroit by an ex-employee who shall remain anonymous.

This all took place shortly after Barney Ales was terminated by Berry Gordy as the President of Motown [[for the SECOND TIME). Yes, there are other stories to be told of some experiences that occurred at the short-lived Hitsville Distributing. As a matter of fact, most people have no knowledge that it EVER EXISTED.

This part of the article concentrates on how I came to obtain a vast treasure of pictures, photos, and artifacts that any Motown collector would be in awe of. Reg has agreed to show many of these art works in future issues. The publicity black and white 8x10's are being made available for purchase to club members [[as of this issue).

Once again, I cannot be exact on the date, but I believe it was in the late 1970's. While still at the Donovan Building on Woodward Avenue, here is what happened. It was a beautiful spring day and most everyone was at lunch except for Thelma Leverette who was at her desk at the front of the building. As I started to walk to the rear of the building through the warehouse and out the back door, I noticed some 8x10 photos hanging over the doors of a garbage dumpster that sat under a large awning attached to the building.

To be continued ................