[REMOVE ADS]

This x-rated intro version of The Manhattans KISS AND SAY GOODBYE- Authentic?

I 'm a big Bobby Martin fan and when first finding this never wanted to believe he would disrespect his own work in this way ..... Still this version posted since 2012 , claiming to be a promo from 1976, remains on youtube unchallenged. A couple of comments there imply owning or at least remembering it ....

Anybody have any information regarding this ????
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-31-2020 at 04:22 PM.

The guys might have been fooling around in the studio but it could be bogus. The voice on the monologue doesn't sound like Blue Lovett to me.

I did see X-rated versions of both this and I KINDA MISS YOU are supposedly being sold on Amazon as part of the ESSENTIAL MANHATTANS digital collection. But when I played the sample of KASG, it started near the end of the rap and didn't have the "Bye bitch!"
    Last edited by reese; 03-31-2020 at 05:11 PM.

Yeah I don't know if this is Blue speaking in this one...

Hi!

They cut an X-rated version. Please read Blue's own comments at [[after halfway):

https://www.soulexpress.net/manhattans_part3.htm

Best regards
    Heikki

This is a joke overdub. That's Blue reciting those words LOL! I have to admit, I laughed when I heard it, but that part did come from the Manhattans.
    Last edited by marv2; 04-01-2020 at 06:10 PM.

This reminds me of Bill Cosby's comedy R&B record from 1977-78 called "Yes, Yes, Yes". LOL!

Not really X rated [[maybe an R); really just ugly and misogynistic.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Certainly not X-rated in the sense of Jackie Wilson and Lavern's Baker's THINK TWICE [[Version X). That one was a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Certainly not X-rated in the sense of Jackie Wilson and Lavern's Baker's THINK TWICE [[Version X). That one was a surprise.
    I was thinking of that record too when I saw this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    The guys might have been fooling around in the studio but it could be bogus. The voice on the monologue doesn't sound like Blue Lovett to me.

I did see X-rated versions of both this and I KINDA MISS YOU are supposedly being sold on Amazon as part of the ESSENTIAL MANHATTANS digital collection. But when I played the sample of KASG, it started near the end of the rap and didn't have the "Bye bitch!"
    I'm disappointed to say reese, it appears to be real . [[thanks for the info Heikki)

you can grab it if you want over at ebay for 150.00!

Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Hi!

They cut an X-rated version. Please read Blue's own comments at [[after halfway):

Best regards
    Heikki
    thanks Heikki :
    from https://www.soulexpress.net/manhattans_part3.htm

The company also released an X-rated version of the song [[Columbia As 263). Blue: “Mickey Eichner had me do an X-rated recording. Promotionally we sent the X-rated out to r&b stations before the original single came out, just to hype them, to get them ready. Everybody was excited and it was an excellent idea from Mickey. I Kinda Miss You also had an X-rated version” [[on the flip). Kiss and Say Goodbye was also released as a 12” maxi-single on Columbia 10506.
    This had to have been released after KISS AND SAY GOODBYE had already been a hit as I KINDA MISS YOU, found on the other side of the 45, didn't exist yet when KISS was released . MISS YOU's theme was written as the group's follow-up to KISS and it comes from their next album.
    There's just no way imo CBS would've thought that proceeding KISS , which they planned to push hard ,with this foul promo would somehow be appropriate or clever.

I'm amazed anyone thought releasing it at ANY point was a good idea [[I agree with the description of it being ugly and misogynistic ) or funny ?, .... it didn't help advance the follow-up single I KINDA MISS YOU....it bombed surprisingly miserably not making the Top 40.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-04-2020 at 03:04 PM.

Hi Boogiedown!

I believe what Blue meant was that they sent only promo singles, DJ copies, to those r&b stations prior to the official version, and the same goes to "I Kinda Miss You", too, later: the official version on the plug side and the x-rated version on the flip; but only to selected stations.

Best regards
    Heikki

Hi Boogiedown!

I believe what Blue meant was that they sent only promo singles, DJ copies, to those r&b stations prior to the official version, and the same goes to "I Kinda Miss You", too, later: the official version on the plug side and the x-rated version on the flip; but only to selected stations.

Best regards
    Heikki
    Hi Heikki! ,

So are you saying they did this twice , sending these naughty intros of their soon to be released songs to the radio stations , first with KISS AND SAY GOODBYE and then again with KINDA MISS YOU ?? That seems most bizarre.

These are interesting thoughts Heikki , let me ponder it.

[[ added: I sense I'm not reading you right..... if not, sorry)
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-05-2020 at 01:35 PM.

Hi Boogiedown!

I believe that is what Blue meant: first the x-rated version of Kiss... to SELECTED R&B stations, and then the official single to ALL stations, and the same thing later with I Kinda Miss You.
    That's how I understood his words.
    I could, of course, check this with Gerald Alston, but I'd like to do that whenever there's something else to talk about with him, too :-).

Best regards
    Heikki

Hi!

Best regards
    Heikki
    Thanks! I forgot I read that article where Blue talked about it lmao

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    True though. I wonder why they even did that...

Hi Boogiedown!

I believe that is what Blue meant: first the x-rated version of Kiss... to SELECTED R&B stations, and then the official single to ALL stations, and the same thing later with I Kinda Miss You.
    That's how I understood his words.
    I could, of course, check this with Gerald Alston, but I'd like to do that whenever there's something else to talk about with him, too :-).

Best regards
    Heikki
    Hi Heikki!

I would be curious what Alston has to say , hopefully you can work it into a conservation sometime Heikki!

more thoughts:

In order to send these special versions to select R&B stations , wouldn't they have had to send them as pressed 45's? [[ Or ?) I haven't found any evidence of such pressings or tapes of them . All I have been able to confirm is the double sided promo that has both the 'x-rated' KISS/GOODBYE and KINDA MISS combined...which to me suggests this was a one time event , this double sided 45, coinciding with the legit release of MISS YOU. [[?)
    Also,
    I noticed Blue gives 'credit' for this idea to Micky Eichner, but when I look at the credits for The Manhattans project [[ pun) around the KISS/GOODBYE album , I don't see his name. However for the next album , with KINDA MISS , he is credited there as its executive producer ..... So that he was even involved with KISS/GOODBYE could be questionable.

imo, I think it would be VERY RISKY to provide radio stations with 45s that they would never want to have mistakenly wind up onto their airwaves , which could cause serious FCC repercussions ....funny maybe once ...but not as an ongoing trend.

cheers!
    -------

Also I can't find this "x-rated" version of I KINDA MISS YOU...two contributors to youtube identify the following as this being it :

Am I missing something??
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 04-08-2020 at 06:01 PM.

Good points, Boogiedown!
    I'll ask about this, but in connection of some other issue, so let's now wait for awhile.

Best regards
    Heikki

Let me still add, Boogiedown, that I also became interested in this matter.
    Unfortunately I don't have those special edition singles, but they were played to me.

Best regards
    Heikki

Hey Heikki ,
    I look forward to what you may find out . Good luck and please post your findings !

Meanwhile, check this out !!

I thought for sure we were discussing an anomaly here , this playful yet risky angle of promotion which only The Manhattans had implemented....
    But, nooooo!!

Here's Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes doing the same thing with one of their releases:

I SHOULD BE YOUR LOVER X-Rated Not For Airplay

.......and this ain't the end of all this ...........there's more ! Stay tuned .

Hi Boogiedown!

I received a short answere from Gerald:

I do remember those x-rated versions. Blue was putting the rap on “Kiss and Say Goodbye” he started joking around and said “This is rated X”. That was the beginning of our rated X versions!

Unfortunately, this doesn't clear matters up in terms of sequence and A- & B-sides.
    This was so far our email change, but the next time I call Gerald - usually in case of a new CD release - I'll still ask about this.

Best regards
    Heikki

Excellent Heikki!

Here's my take on the whole thing :
    For fun, Blue does an impromptu but inappropriate intro for KISS. Good for a laugh , but meant for the studio crowd only. But it gets saved. For the next single , Blue does it again . Producer Eichner gets a kick out of it , they dig out the one Blue had done for KISS and they decide to double side it on a promo 45 with the MISS YOU one and send it out here and there , just for fun .

That's my theory ...could be wrong .....

I do remember those x-rated versions. Blue was putting the rap on “Kiss and Say Goodbye” he started joking around and said “This is rated X”. That was the beginning of our rated X versions!
    That's the perfect lead in to what I was hinting about ! There being more to the story : Gerald mentions "x-rated versions" .

It looks like The Manhattans made a practice of doing this with several songs !!

... and it doesn't stop there, Boogiedown -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INHs....be&autoplay=1

Best regards
    Heikki

Boy that's a risky one heikki! The rated x part doesn't come in until the second half of the song. Can you imagine if that made it over the airwaves!!?
    I imagine that one didn't get pressed and sent out to radio stations .....

I wonder what the source is for these versions to wind up on youtube?

Strangest thing....doing this to your music .....

Here's trilogy of X-rated tracks from the Manhattans, not sure abut the third song though, as it's a Harold Melvin tune.

<a href="https://youtu.be/bneFZo6ig1g" target="_blank">