[REMOVE ADS]

This Should Have Been a BIG HIT for The Supremes.......

This should have been a big hit for the Supremes. It wasn't even released until 1979 on one of those Motown unreleased compilation albums on the Natural Resources label. I won the album containing this song on one of those radio trivia contests. Sounds great.

Last edited by marv2; 04-01-2020 at 09:25 AM.

I like it, but don't think it compares to Wanda's version! Wanda's voice just has that plaintive quality which a song like this begs for. I think the Supremes' version is a little too "perky," a little too light maybe.

The Marvelettes' arrangement is just flawless.

But I want to thank Marv for his posting, and before anyone decides to go after him for anything he's said in the past, I'd like to point out that his post is notable for praising a song on which Diane sings lead.

Good job, Marv!

I love "Take Me Where You Go". I disagree that it should have or would have been a big hit for the group, though. I don't hear "hit" when I play it. I do think it would have made a great addition to the More Hits album, replacing one of the songs from that album that I don't care for. Also, whenever I make an alternate track list of the I Hear A Symphony album, "Take Me Where You Go" is usually on it.

I love the lyrics. Diana sounds good and I really love Flo on this song. She sings so beautifully. Mary is blending nicely as usual. This song has slowly become a favorite of mine over the years.

Wanda's version is nearly as good. There's definitely basic similarities, but Wanda's version is very contemporary early 70s, while the Supremes' version is contemporary mid 60s. IMO both leads fit the individual arrangements. The one advantage the Supremes have over Wanda's version is the personality infused harmonies from Flo and Mary. While there are definitely songs I adore the Andantes on, by the time they were pretty much acting as pseudo Supremes/Vandellas/Marvelettes on an almost full time basis from 68-70, their sound was rather stale and rarely showcased the range that recordings of the Andantes from the early to mid 60s represent. Although the Andantes could arguably be regarded as the female group with the tightest harmonies, they approached a lot of their vocals from what I feel was a very technical feeling, whereas Flo and Mary were much more inclined to add some personality to what they were singing. Thus I give the Supremes' version the edge here.

But both very good recordings.

I think the Supremes just have the edge here. Diana’s vocals are very kittenish which really suits the song. Mary and Flo do a great job also. I’m not hearing huge hit though, just a solid album track. Agree, should have been on More Hits.

When I first heard it on one of those compilation albums, I immediately fell in love with it. I am on the fence; however, as to whether it was single worthy. But I am surprised that it never surfaced on one of the regular albums. It does sound like it would have fit on "More Hits"; however, maybe, just maybe that would have interrupted the concept that it would have been the only HDH production on that album.

Oh, I do love the Marvelettes version; however, due to the fact that I am so used to the Supremes version [[the first born child to me), my preference is the Supremes version. The arrangement, production, and delivery are so different in each song...like comparing apples to oranges.
    Last edited by jobucats; 03-31-2020 at 08:14 AM.

This is my first time hearing the Marvelettes version and I like it too.

i'm not gonna comment here lolol

you all know my thoughts on many of Smokey's songs and silly lyrics hehehehe

Diana’s vocal delivery is more stylistic, melodic, and rhythmic, thus I prefer it.

I prefer Diana’s lead, but I don’t think this would have gone higher than top 20 - and only then because of their auto-add status in 1965. It’s a nice track, but it’s too meander-y for radio, which preferred a strong, hard attack with a sure-fire follow through. I think it needs work. Of course, I would never have predicted the hunter get captured by the game doing as well as it did for the very same reason, but I believe that is the exception to the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I prefer Diana’s lead, but I don’t think this would have gone higher than top 20 - and only then because of their auto-add status in 1965. It’s a nice track, but it’s too meander-y for radio, which preferred a strong, hard attack with a sure-fire follow through. I think it needs work. Of course, I would never have predicted the hunter get captured by the game doing as well as it did for the very same reason, but I believe that is the exception to the rule.
    yeah it might have fit ok on Symphony as filler. but by mid 65, the strong Motown sound was already in place with the back-to-back hits of Back In My Arms Again and Sugar Pie Honey Bunch. agree that this song is just too light and bouncy

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I don’t think this would have gone higher than top 20 - and only then because of their auto-add status in 1965.
    That's basically how I feel. It would've "hit" off the strength of Supremes mania, but it wouldn't have gone top 10. I saw it floating somewhere between 20 and 12.

Cutie pie song, but nothing about it says BIG HIT.

You guys are all right on

This song was on the Natural Resources album "From the Vaults - Never Before Released Recordings by Motown Stars of the 60's." NR 4014 in case you are interested.

The album coordinator was Tom dePierro who was a huge Motown Fan. He was a friend of mine and was originally a Greenwich Village resident before moving to Los Angeles. After his departure from Motown he started AirWave Records which also featured numerous Motown artists. The memory of Tom still lives on despite his unfortunate death. Robb-K who is also a forum member was also a friend of Tom's. Are any other forum members familiar with Tom?
    Last edited by woodward; 04-01-2020 at 08:33 AM.

While The Supremes' "Take Me Where You Go" is a pleasant song, I don't think that it would've been a hit for them [[just as others on this thread have already said). However, I do think that "Take Me" could've been a great closing track for the I Hear A Symphony LP since that album featured a lot of songs with a similar 'light & bouncy' feel to "TMWYG".
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 04-02-2020 at 02:16 PM.