[REMOVE ADS]

Interviews: 1918 Influenza Pandemic Survivors

This is one of the most encouraging interviews of the only family who did not contract the Spanish flu during the 1918 Pandemic in a small rural town:

1918 Influenza Pandemic Survivor Interview: 100 Year-Old, Mrs. Edna Register Boone, Interviewed 2008

Last edited by MusicWise; 03-30-2020 at 03:14 PM.

My great grandmother died during that 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    My great grandmother died during that 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic.
    Marv, sorry to hear that you loss your great-grandmother to this horrible 1918 Pandemic.

When I was doing my research for this thread I discovered that the Spanish Flu 1918 pandemic lasted from January 1918 - December 1920, with a quarter of the world infected, estimated at about 500 million people and a death toll as high as 50 million to 100 million, making it the deadliest pandemic in human history!

My wife saw a documentary about this. Turns out there were two cities [[Philadelphia and either St. Louis or Kansas City) that had scheduled St. Patrick's Day parades. The one in Missouri canceled and Philly held theirs as scheduled. Philly was devastated with the outbreak but the other city was much less impacted. When you hear the governors of Mississippi, Alabama and Florida downplay the severity of this crisis, understand that since there aren't fences outside of states, their recklessness puts the entire country at risk. Every state can be on lockdown but when things look better in Ohio [[for example) refugees from the Deep South can come north and start things all over again. The frightening part of all of this is that lacking a national focus and strategy, the situation is likely to last for years or until a safe vaccine is developed.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicWise View Post
    Marv, sorry to hear that you loss your great-grandmother to this horrible 1918 Pandemic.

When I was doing my research for this thread I discovered that the Spanish Flu 1918 pandemic lasted from January 1918 - December 1920, with a quarter of the world infected, estimated at about 500 million people and a death toll as high as 50 million to 100 million, making it the deadliest pandemic in human history!
    Thank you MusicWise. I always get sad when I think about my grandmother was only 11 years old when her mother died from the Spanish Flu. I take some consolation that my grandmother lived until she was 100 years old in 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    My wife saw a documentary about this. Turns out there were two cities [[Philadelphia and either St. Louis or Kansas City) that had scheduled St. Patrick's Day parades. The one in Missouri canceled and Philly held theirs as scheduled. Philly was devastated with the outbreak but the other city was much less impacted. When you hear the governors of Mississippi, Alabama and Florida downplay the severity of this crisis, understand that since there aren't fences outside of states, their recklessness puts the entire country at risk. Every state can be on lockdown but when things look better in Ohio [[for example) refugees from the Deep South can come north and start things all over again. The frightening part of all of this is that lacking a national focus and strategy, the situation is likely to last for years or until a safe vaccine is developed.
    Jerry, I understand your prospective, and I also understand "evacuees" trying to safe their own lives. Here's another perspective:

Florida & Rhode Island BAN New Yorkers from their state +Is Italy Facing Social Collapse

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Thank you MusicWise. I always get sad when I think about my grandmother was only 11 years old when her mother died from the Spanish Flu. I take some consolation that my grandmother lived until she was 100 years old in 2007.
    Marv, God always gives us DOUBLE blessings for our trouble. Your grandmother got to live out her years and I'm sure her grandchildren, including you, will enjoy an even longer life. TFS

Quote Originally Posted by MusicWise View Post
    Marv, God always gives us DOUBLE blessings for our trouble. Your grandmother got to live out her years and I'm sure her grandchildren, including you, will enjoy an even longer life. TFS
    I hope so. God is good! Thank you MusicWise.

Did you see the cast of Contagion [[fictional depiction of a pandemic) at the One World at Home concert encouraging social distancing? The movie is 15 years old!! Do get the DVD.