[REMOVE ADS]

Donna Summer / Encore unboxing

Anyone else thinking of picking this up?

I would LOVE it, but though it's fairly priced for it's volume it's a tad outside my $ range for my Donna fandom.

Only need the casablanca remasters, bought the other box a few years ago

I'm not convinced on the packaging as yet. Would've prefered something more cd sized instead of having to shelve amongst my vinyl. Have listened in album order so far, with Bad Girls due next. The mastering has been amazing on first hearing. Its a lot of money to shell out but I believe it may be limited to only 1500 or so first time out. I can't see it hitting the bargain bins anytime soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I'm not convinced on the packaging as yet. Would've prefered something more cd sized instead of having to shelve amongst my vinyl. Have listened in album order so far, with Bad Girls due next. The mastering has been amazing on first hearing. Its a lot of money to shell out but I believe it may be limited to only 1500 or so first time out. I can't see it hitting the bargain bins anytime soon!
    Looks like a no-expense-spared, and I think the big-box was done to accommodate the lp-ld book but even in the unboxing vid it's a struggle to get the cds out of the pockets. That I would not like, but I'm happy to hear the remastering is so good!

The mastering seems to be quite a mish mash. [[Yike at the "Lady of the Night" album.)

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/li...r&album=Encore

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    The mastering seems to be quite a mish mash. [[Yike at the "Lady of the Night" album.)

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/li...r&album=Encore
    Have to admit, I'm only going from first hearing and it will be a while before I get through it all. I'm not even sure I ever had Lady of the Night on vinyl but remember a couple of tracks from an early compilation. The material is nothing like what followed, more of a pop album in my opinion, but it sounded fine on my system. I was expecting a bit more from the choral part on Love to love you baby but it was still an upgrade on what I'd had before. Try me I know we can make it stood out and Autumn changes was almost a new song to my old ears. I haven't played Live and more for years off vinyl and it never really worked for me back in the day. I was even warming to the cheesy I feel love this time. I'll be interested to know when others have had a listen, but like I say, it's a long trawl.

thanks for sharing this! fantastic comp.
    would like to own the booklet contained therein.

Beautiful cover but as mentioned I don't like the size of this monster and would have preferred a CD size box like Aretha, Marvin and so forth. Also the price is outrageous on amazon I saw for $279. No thanks. I also like the spine titles, picky I know. The guy in the video never showed what the disc labels looked like. Using the original Casablanca would have been cool but.....oh well. The book is a nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    Beautiful cover but as mentioned I don't like the size of this monster and would have preferred a CD size box like Aretha, Marvin and so forth. Also the price is outrageous on amazon I saw for $279. No thanks. I also like the spine titles, picky I know. The guy in the video never showed what the disc labels looked like. Using the original Casablanca would have been cool but.....oh well. The book is a nice touch.
    Just plain label in the main colour of the album sleeve. I thought the same as you on that. In the UK, her early albums were on GTO Records, switching to Casablanca when Once upon a time came out. Would've been nice to have had some label scans of any description especially as they have done gatefold replicas where applicable. Basically, Once upon a time is on two cds lasting thirty something minutes each. As you say, we're being picky here but I did pay 170 quid.

I'm a big Donna fan and have bought all of the releases that came out in the last several years after her passing. However, this latest box sadly doesn't do it for me. The price tag is a big deterrant for sure, especially since we are not getting anything significant. There are a lot of rare tracks missing. They could have at least added a disc of previously unreleased material as well, to make this set a bit more attractive. The artwork on the replica sleeves is just ok to me. As already mentioned, they could have done more to add text to the spines, and perhaps could have reproduced the original inner sleeves and record labels on the CDs themselves. It seems they simply just re-printed the same song/album credits on the sleeves that are already shown in the accompanying hardcover book, which I also felt could have been more than what it was. Also scratching my head at the decision to unnecessarily split the albums originally released as 2 LP's over two CD's, when the total running time is less than 80 mins? Too many of the bonus tracks [[12 inches, 7 inches, remixes) have already been released numerous times on other sets during the last several years. Also seems to be a waste to reproduce all of the remixes from the Love To Love You Donna remix project album on here. A major lazy cash-in for sure. Time to give us something new...unreleased songs, live dvds, etc. This is a nice box for the fans who don't have all of these albums, but I will be taking a pass on this, unless the price comes down at some point, which is very possible. The price on Amazon.ca is almost $400 Canadian dollars! Wow.
    Last edited by carlo; 03-30-2020 at 10:12 AM.

Ok maybe my calling this a lazy cash-in was a bit harsh. I am grateful that Donna's legacy is still being remembered and celebrated, and they did take the time to design a nice box...as I've definitely seen much worse/cheaper looking presentations. After all of my complaining above, I'm sure I'll still end up buying it eventually, in the end lol. I am glad they at least included some tracks, including my favourite, "Any Way At All". One of her most gorgeous songs. But ugh, I really can't get over the wasteful splitting of her albums over two discs
    Last edited by carlo; 03-30-2020 at 10:24 AM.

None of their respective label art and Once Upon A Time on 2 discs when it could have been on one? Not worth the price and they should have handed this over to Andy, George and Harry. They do perfection on detail.
    Last edited by nathanj06; 03-31-2020 at 10:39 AM.