[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Pictures from unknown tv shows

Hi Guys,
    Considering the confined situation most of us are in, I thought that an amusing pastime could be to discuss about pictures of Diana Ross and the Supremes that are related to TV shows but to which we don’t know what show they’re from.

Therefore I completed a page on the website [[direct link : )

http://dianarosssupremes.free.fr/TV60Unknown.htm

which now contains 12 unknown tv shows from the 60s you can all help to find out.
    Good trip back to memory lane, your scrabooks... or else, and have fun!

Ok, Laurent and thank you. You always seem to come up with interesting topics for threads.

I have no clue about pictures #9 - #12.

Ok picture #10 may be a shot from rehearsal for their last Ed Sullivan Show appearance in 1969.

#12 Looks like it could be a rehearsal for the Royal Command Performance at the Palladium in 1968. I can make out Englebert Humperdink and you mentioned Petula Clark. Both were on that show.

In Picture #12 third from the right looks suspiciously like Engelbert Humperdinck so my guess is that it was taken, possibly during rehearsals, at the 1968 Royal Variety Show in London. Petula Clark was also on the bill for that show.

http://www.royalvarietycharity.org/r...ndon-palladium

Roger

Not sure of some of these but I think:

Unknown #1: Thank Your Lucky Stars
    Unknown #2: Thank Your Lucky Stars
    Unknown #4: Definitely a shot from the finale of Shindig! [[1964)
    Unknown #5, Series 1: A performance in Hamburg [[not sure if it is a tv show)
    Unknown #9: Sunday Night at the Palladium [[1968)
    Unknown #10. Rehearsal shot from Diana's last appearance on Ed Sullivan [[1969)
    Unknown #12. Could be a rehearsal shot from the Royal Command Performance [[1968)

The thing I notice is such a difference between '65 and '67. They just catapulted...prior they could have been the Shirelles or the Vandellas, or any other group, their was a
    generic, girl group look and dress. Certainly Diana Ross brought that "outherness" to the group that separated them. It's that same old question that "20 feet from Stardon" tried to answer.
    In the swirl of things it's too bad that Florence wasn't able to see that she should have just held on to the meteor of DR and ridden it as Mary did, and then figure it out.

Unknown #8: I wonder if these photos might be from Chicago-based, local daytime talk show, "The Lee Phillip Show." [[Phillip was a Chicago TV legend and the wife of late soap opera writer/producer, William "Bill" Bell--and Phillip herself just died a few weeks ago.) Confirming this would take quite a bit of research [[those local shows didn't get documented as much as national ones did), but it might prove to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    Unknown #8: I wonder if these photos might be from Chicago-based, local daytime talk show, "The Lee Phillip Show." [[Phillip was a Chicago TV legend and the wife of late soap opera writer/producer, William "Bill" Bell--and Phillip herself just died a few weeks ago.) Confirming this would take quite a bit of research [[those local shows didn't get documented as much as national ones did), but it might prove to be true.
    They also did a lot of local Detroit television as The Supremes and individually over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post

I agree Reese. A few observations:

#4 Pretty sure that's the Shindig appearance where they sang "Where Did Our Love Go" and some other stuff.

#5 Series 1 It took me a minute to realize that the photo of Mary doing the "stop" gesture is just an enlarged portion of the photo next to it where the group is clearly performing "Stop". Prior to the realization I thought that it was a photo of Mary saying she didn't want her picture taken, and she looks quite pissed.

#5 Series 2 Flo's "fat" period is said to be late 66-well into 67, but I've always thought that if there was ever a time during the Supremes that Flo seemed a bit heavier than usual, it was this brief time in early 65. There's a performance of "Stop" from this period on Shindig that I always thought Flo looks rather chubby. These photos are not changing my mind.

#5 Series 3 I wonder if that's Diana's actual hair and not a wig?

#8 Diana looks like she's going to a funeral.

Quote Originally Posted by drlorne View Post
    The thing I notice is such a difference between '65 and '67. They just catapulted...prior they could have been the Shirelles or the Vandellas, or any other group, their was a
    generic, girl group look and dress. Certainly Diana Ross brought that "outherness" to the group that separated them. It's that same old question that "20 feet from Stardon" tried to answer.
    In the swirl of things it's too bad that Florence wasn't able to see that she should have just held on to the meteor of DR and ridden it as Mary did, and then figure it out.
    Yeah, looks wise the Supremes were following girl group trends instead of setting them. [[Hence the stories about the Supremes "stealing" wardrobe looks from Martha and the Vandellas and Patti and the Bluebelles.) At some point in 1965 that changed and the other groups were trying to look like the Supremes, usually without success. There was something just right about the Supremes and the looks they chose, although I must admit I'm a bit biased.

Regarding Florence, she was apparently a woman who valued respect over going along to get along. And in this day in age where respect- both of self and others-, ethics and boundaries seem to be a lost way of life, I'm proud of Flo for standing up for herself, even if I sometimes have a problem with the way she chose to do it. As the Supremes once sang, "Money isn't everything...".

Unknown #1: Thank Your Lucky Stars
    Unknown #2: Thank Your Lucky Stars
    Unknown #5, Series 1: A performance in Hamburg [[not sure if it is a tv show)
    Unknown #9: Sunday Night at the Palladium [[1968)
    Unknown #10. Rehearsal shot from Diana's last appearance on Ed Sullivan [[1969)
    Unknown #12. Could be a rehearsal shot from the Royal Command Performance [[1968)
    I think you are right about number 12 Royal Command Performance. Diana is wearing her own clothing so probably rehearsal. The person on the site says it's Mary next to her but I think it's Cindy. She's wearing dress from that performance. Also pictures of the royals meeting the Supremes show Petula Clark on some and the third guy from the left [[no idea who he is). Other rehearsal photo's online show the same diamond pattern in the background.
    Last edited by TYK1986; 03-29-2020 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Added info

Quote Originally Posted by TYK1986 View Post
    I think you are right about number 12 Royal Command Performance. Diana is wearing her own clothing so probably rehearsal. The person on the site says it's Mary next to her but I think it's Cindy. She's wearing dress from that performance. Also pictures of the royals meeting the Supremes show Petula Clark on some and the third guy from the left [[no idea who he is). Other rehearsal photo's online show the same diamond pattern in the background.
    To me, it looks like Mary [[in her costume) standing next to Diana. She is even wearing the long wig that you can see in photos from the actual performance as well as when they are standing in the receiving line.

Leslie Gore is in one of those pics.

Unknown #5 is indeed Hamburg but not a TV show. It is a press show held at the Hotel Atlantic Kempinski during a quick trip over to Germany on a day off from the UK Tamla Motown revue in the UK. Itinerary, newspaper and photographs date this, coincidentally to this day in 1965 - 29th March. Later that evening, they appeared on the TV show Musik aus Studio B, returning to the UK the following day to continue with the UK tour in Manchester.

Quote Originally Posted by blue_whippet View Post
    Unknown #5 is indeed Hamburg but not a TV show. It is a press show held at the Hotel Atlantic Kempinski during a quick trip over to Germany on a day off from the UK Tamla Motown revue in the UK. Itinerary, newspaper and photographs date this, coincidentally to this day in 1965 - 29th March. Later that evening, they appeared on the TV show Musik aus Studio B, returning to the UK the following day to continue with the UK tour in Manchester.
    Great information! Thank you Blue_whippet.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Considering the confined situation most of us are in, I thought that an amusing pastime could be to discuss about pictures of Diana Ross and the Supremes that are related to TV shows but to which we don’t know what show they’re from.

Therefore I completed a page on the website [[direct link : )

http://dianarosssupremes.free.fr/TV60Unknown.htm

which now contains 12 unknown tv shows from the 60s you can all help to find out.
    Good trip back to memory lane, your scrabooks... or else, and have fun!
    These photos def shows Flo’s extra 3” in height @ 5’7” contrasting Mary and Diana’s @ 5’4”.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    These photos def shows Flo’s extra 3” in height @ 5’7” contrasting Mary and Diana’s @ 5’4”.
    I think Diana is 5'5, just a tad taller than Mary.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I think Diana is 5'5, just a tad taller than Mary.
    Yes that's true. Mary was the shortest. Now, could you imagine Flo on stage singing with Scherrie & Susaye? Jean was pretty tall too. She would tower over the last two Supremes. LOL!

Thank you all for your interesting information. It also gives me great avenues to follow... and I might come back with other questions...

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Ok picture #10 may be a shot from rehearsal for their last Ed Sullivan Show appearance in 1969.
    Good guess I think. I checked their last Ed Sullivan and they wear apparently the same wigs. They also have the same position at one moment during Someday We'll Be Together, so there's a very high probability you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    In Picture #12 third from the right looks suspiciously like Engelbert Humperdinck so my guess is that it was taken, possibly during rehearsals, at the 1968 Royal Variety Show in London. Petula Clark was also on the bill for that show.

www.royalvarietycharity.org/royal-variety-performance/archive/detail/1968-london-palladium

Roger
    and so Humperdinck would be the 7th person from the left [[?). Now with his name I would recognize him there.

What I don't recognize is the set behind the people. I doesn't look like the stage of the Royal Variety show, or at least of the rehearsal photos I have, and Diana doesn't wear the same outfit than during the rehearsals [[see pics below).
    Name:  1968 Nov 18 - 1.jpg
Views: 1559
Size:  86.4 KB
    Name:  Rehearsal for the Royal Variety Performance - Nov 18 1968 - 2.jpg
Views: 1596
Size:  65.9 KB

That does NOT look like Petula Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    That does NOT look like Petula Clark.
    This picture #12 was sold on ebay and was credited as Diana Ross and Petula Clark. It's definitely her.

Good guess I think. I checked their last Ed Sullivan and they wear apparently the same wigs. They also have the same position at one moment during Someday We'll Be Together, so there's a very high probability you are right.
    Thanks Laurent. I am pretty sure that is a shot from rehearsals next door to the Ed Sullivan Theater.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    #12 Looks like it could be a rehearsal for the Royal Command Performance at the Palladium in 1968. I can make out Englebert Humperdink and you mentioned Petula Clark. Both were on that show.
    OK, I just found this pic which prooves that #12 is from the rehearsal of the Royal Command Performance of 1968, the setting of the stage is the same. The only thing that troubles me is that they kept the same setting so long [[the pic below is from 1965).

Name:  rehearsals-for-the-royal-variety-performance-at-london-palladium-1965.jpg
Views: 2471
Size:  97.0 KB

OK, I just found this pic which prooves that #12 is from the rehearsal of the Royal Command Performance of 1968, the setting of the stage is the same. The only thing that troubles me is that they kept the same setting so long [[the pic below is from 1965).

Name:  rehearsals-for-the-royal-variety-performance-at-london-palladium-1965.jpg
Views: 2471
Size:  97.0 KB
    They have to have filmed the 1968 Command Performance.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2
    They have to have filmed the 1968 Command Performance.
    I think so too.

I think so too.
    Laurent, we have to get our hands on these things! hehehehehehehehe!

I think so too.
    It was wiped immediately after broadcast sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It was wiped immediately after broadcast sadly.
    Oh my! Too bad... really.

OK I did some homework... I found that the last song of Shindig [[February 24, 1965 episode) is Neil Sedaka "I Go Ape" and the Supremes join the cast at the final, right when the word "shindig" appears on screan.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuQ6X_a5e2E
    The video on youtube is not very clear but the picture #4 is definitely from this show. One more enigma solved thanks to you and Ranran79. Many thanks !

The year 1966 of the Supremes TVgraphy will be online pretty soon... stay tuned!

He doesn't know for sure. They said that about Top of the Pops and then a clip of the Supremes and Four Tops singing together surfaced in recent years. There are several vintage Royal Command Performances on Youtube ,so.......

The year 1966 of the Supremes TVgraphy will be online pretty soon... stay tuned!
    Ok, thanks Laurent. I look forward to seeing it.

Weird that some people who barely listen to the Supremes pre-1970 have so much to say here...

OK I did some homework... I found that the last song of Shindig [[February 24, 1965 episode) is Neil Sedaka "I Go Ape" and the Supremes join the cast at the final, right when the word "shindig" appears on screan.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuQ6X_a5e2E
    The video on youtube is not very clear but the picture #4 is definitely from this show. One more enigma solved thanks to you and Ranran79. Many thanks !
    Unknown #4 is from the girls' 1964 appearance on SHINDIG!

They sang BABY LOVE and COME SEE ABOUT ME. The photo was taken during the cast finale, headed by the Righteous Bros. singing LITTLE LATIN LUPE LU.

Unknown #4 is from the girls' 1964 appearance on SHINDIG!

They sang BABY LOVE and COME SEE ABOUT ME. The photo was taken during the cast finale, headed by the Righteous Bros. singing LITTLE LATIN LUPE LU.
    Well, I was a bit fast on this one, too happy to find something, and a double check this morning [[with a fresh new mind and eyes ) shows that the dress the Supremes wear at the end of Shindig [[Feb 65) are sleeveless [[like the one they wore during Stop!ITNOL in the same show), to the contrary of the ones on photo #4. And the wigs they wore on shindig [[Feb 65) and #4 are not the same. The wigs on #4 look a lot more than the ones they wore on Shindig [[Nov 64).

Unfortunately I can't find a video of the final of Shindig [[Nov 64), the segment with the Righteous Brother is cut before the credits. That woul give a final proof to it.

2 Pics of the final of Shindig 65 :
    Name:  Shindig-65-end-1.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  21.7 KB

Name:  Shindig-65-end-3.jpg
Views: 1382
Size:  20.6 KB

Pic Shindig Feb 65 - Stop!ITNOL :

Name:  Shindig-Stop-7.JPG
Views: 1306
Size:  19.1 KB

Reminder, unknown#4 [[to have a full size on the website only: right click on the pic):

Name:  UNK4R.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  27.6 KB

to compare with the wigs on Shindig [[Nov 64) :

Name:  Shindig5.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  17.9 KB

Thanks Reese for your correction. I'm pretty sure now that you have that one right [[but as I said, a video extract of the end of the show would put a final word to it).

Thanks Reese for your correction. I'm pretty sure now that you have that one right [[but as I said, a video extract of the end of the show would put a final word to it).
    No problem. I tried looking for the 1964 Shindig! finale on YouTube but couldn't find it.

The finale itself was shot in an interesting way. As I said, the Righteous Bros. are singing LITTLE LATIN LUPE LU. The Supremes actually back into the shot so the first thing you see is an extreme close-up of one of their outfits and they keep backing up until they reach stage right. Then they start doing some synchronized moves. It actually looked rather cool.

Just an FYI: The Supremes only appeared on Shindig! twice, once in 1964 and again in early 1965.
    Last edited by reese; 04-05-2020 at 08:26 AM.

Pretty much all the 60's and early 70's Royal Variety performances were wiped. Luckily some of them were recorded on videotape by enthusiasts and have survived. It's criminal how many great shows were wiped both in the UK and the USA. Having said that i do have Aretha's appearance somewhere in my loft.
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 04-05-2020 at 09:09 AM.

Pretty much all the 60's and early 70's Royal Variety performances were wiped. Luckily some of them were recorded on videotape by enthusiasts and have survived. It's criminal how many great shows were wiped both in the UK and the USA. Having said that i do have Aretha's appearance somewhere in my loft.
    They showed a brief clip of Aretha's appearance during her 1983 EBONY/JET SHOWCASE interview. She was singing AMAZING GRACE. I haven't seen it since.

They showed a brief clip of Aretha's appearance during her 1983 EBONY/JET SHOWCASE interview. She was singing AMAZING GRACE. I haven't seen it since.
    Yes she did do Amazing Grace and another song which currently eludes me. I haven't seen it for decades but i do have it safely stored in my loft along with 45 years worth of journals.

Yes she did do Amazing Grace and another song which currently eludes me. I haven't seen it for decades but i do have it safely stored in my loft along with 45 years worth of journals.
    In an interview, Aretha said the other song was MY SHINING HOUR. I remember at the time of the performance, there was a bit of press about it in the US because Aretha was losing weight to wear a specific dress. She also said how the Queen Mother enjoyed AMAZING GRACE so much that she had to straighten her tiara. :-)

And now, as announced yesterday [[and even sooner than I expected), the year 1966 in the Supremes' TVgraphy is now online :

http://dianarosssupremes.free.fr/index.htm

Enjoy !

And now, as announced yesterday [[and even sooner than I expected), the year 1966 in the Supremes' TVgraphy is now online :

http://dianarosssupremes.free.fr/index.htm

Enjoy !
    Very nice!

And thanks for including the note about the non-existent "V" face block during the end of MY WORLD IS EMPTY WITHOUT YOU.

In an interview, Aretha said the other song was MY SHINING HOUR. I remember at the time of the performance, there was a bit of press about it in the US because Aretha was losing weight to wear a specific dress. She also said how the Queen Mother enjoyed AMAZING GRACE so much that she had to straighten her tiara. :-)
    I think she was quite slim at the time. I really need to find this performance.

Very nice!

And thanks for including the note about the non-existent "V" face block during the end of MY WORLD IS EMPTY WITHOUT YOU.
    You're welcome Reese. That note was already for long on the Timeline section of the site [[at the date Feb 20, 1966 of course). This part of the site also points out many other inacurracies found in books and other sources.

I've just found by chance this TV show the Supremes were on in January 24, 1966 :

Name:  Living-Women-Jan24-66.JPG
Views: 1136
Size:  10.4 KB

Does anyone know what kind of show it is ? My guess would a women morning talk show [[aired at 9:00 am). The Supremes are probably interviewed [[they were right in the middle of an engagement at the Roostertail) but did they perform during this tv program by any chance ? Does anyone remember anything about this ?

ps: website already updated with this show
    http://dianarosssupremes.free.fr/TV-1966-Supremes.htm

I've just found by chance this TV show the Supremes were on in January 24, 1966 :

Name:  Living-Women-Jan24-66.JPG
Views: 1136
Size:  10.4 KB

Does anyone know what kind of show it is ? My guess would a women morning talk show [[aired at 9:00 am). The Supremes are probably interviewed [[they were right in the middle of an engagement at the Roostertail) but did they perform during this tv program by any chance ? Does anyone remember anything about this ?

ps: website already updated with this show
    http://dianarosssupremes.free.fr/TV-1966-Supremes.htm
    Yes, that would have been a women's talk show like "The Virginia Graham Show" that was popular at that time. I would not have seen that particular program as I was in the Kindergarten and had to be in school during that hour. LOL!!!