[REMOVE ADS]

Claudette Robinson Send Condolences to Family of Barbara Martin

Claudette Robinson, a true class act:

Motown Records’ First Lady Claudette Robinson Send Condolences to Family of Deceased Supremes Sister and Drops New Children’s Book

https://thesource.com/2020/03/06/int...hildrens-book/

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Claudette Robinson, a true class act:

Motown Records’ First Lady Claudette Robinson Send Condolences to Family of Deceased Supremes Sister and Drops New Children’s Book

https://thesource.com/2020/03/06/int...hildrens-book/
    The bar for being a “true class act” is usually higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    The bar for being a “true class act” is usually higher.
    Yes but Marv's bar is low of course.

Claudette also posted a lot of nice pictures with a Happy Birthday wish to Diana for her birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post

Claudette also posted a lot of nice pictures with a Happy Birthday wish to Diana for her birthday.
    She also posted this yesterday.

Claudette First-Lady Robinson

Yesterday at 10:24 AM ·

Recently caught an old interview where Diana Ross referred to us as Claudette and the Boys. What do you think? Should we rebrand?

Why is this a low bar? Although Barbara is an original member of the Supremes, and thus worked with and around the Miracles, the Tempts, the Marvelettes and others for about two years, she is often treated as nothing more than a footnote in the history of her more famous singing partners. How often over the years did Barbara's name cross the tongues of Motown alumni? In this period of grief for Barbara's family, I can imagine there was some brief pleasure in having the matriarch of their family acknowledged by Claudette Robinson, and in my book that was a classy thing for the lady to do. Especially considering that even Diana has said zilch about Barbara's passing, as far as I know [[correct me if I'm wrong), and I find that to be a bit weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    She also posted this yesterday.

Claudette First-Lady Robinson

Yesterday at 10:24 AM ·

Recently caught an old interview where Diana Ross referred to us as Claudette and the Boys. What do you think? Should we rebrand?
    Ha! Yeah, that was an interesting way to refer to the group.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Why is this a low bar? Although Barbara is an original member of the Supremes, and thus worked with and around the Miracles, the Tempts, the Marvelettes and others for about two years, she is often treated as nothing more than a footnote in the history of her more famous singing partners. How often over the years did Barbara's name cross the tongues of Motown alumni? In this period of grief for Barbara's family, I can imagine there was some brief pleasure in having the matriarch of their family acknowledged by Claudette Robinson, and in my book that was a classy thing for the lady to do. Especially considering that even Diana has said zilch about Barbara's passing, as far as I know [[correct me if I'm wrong), and I find that to be a bit weird.
    We dont know if Diana reachout out privately to Barbaras family?

He is only going to tell you that Diana does things in secret, in private. Yet somehow they always know that is what she does. LOL!!!!

Wasn’t Diana pissed that she left the group?

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Probably hoped Mary would go; Lamont said they knew Mary would be trouble sooner or later

It is my understanding Barbara turned down several interviews regarding her participation in the Supremes over the years. The one that stood out as being odd was Mary interviewing her in 2000 for the Supremes collection. I think Barbara preferred living under the radar. RIP Barbara.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    We dont know if Diana reachout out privately to Barbaras family?
    I'm betting that she did reach out privately. However, one would expect a public acknowledgement of Barbara's passing also. Diana has tweeted about the passing of other public figures. To be silent on Barbara seems strange. I'd feel the same way if Mary said nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    He is only going to tell you that Diana does things in secret, in private. Yet somehow they always know that is what she does. LOL!!!!
    Well she is a very private lady, and so it makes sense there are things that she does that the public doesn't see. Not all celebrities direct press releases [[or social media postings) every time they do something. However, for an original Supreme not to publicly acknowledge the death of another original Supreme is a bit weird.

Probably all of them were pissed...for about a minute. I hardly think Diana has carried around a nearly 60 year grudge because Barbara left, especially since IMO the group just got better. Now had Barbara left and the Supremes fell on their faces never to be heard from again...

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    It is my understanding Barbara turned down several interviews regarding her participation in the Supremes over the years. The one that stood out as being odd was Mary interviewing her in 2000 for the Supremes collection. I think Barbara preferred living under the radar. RIP Barbara.
    Yeah, seems she ended up enjoying family life and living a regular person's life. I wonder if after everything she has read and/or heard about what went down in the group later on if she felt like she dodged a bullet? Also makes me wonder how different things might have been had she stayed. Did she have the personality and wisdom that it might have taken to pull Florence aside and tell her to get it together? Or pull Diana aside and tell her to cut the crap? Or pull all the girls together and remind them that they're in this thing together and they should remind Gordy that he needs them as much as they need him and to show them each some more respect? Just wondering.

Yeah, seems she ended up enjoying family life and living a regular person's life. I wonder if after everything she has read and/or heard about what went down in the group later on if she felt like she dodged a bullet? Also makes me wonder how different things might have been had she stayed. Did she have the personality and wisdom that it might have taken to pull Florence aside and tell her to get it together? Or pull Diana aside and tell her to cut the crap? Or pull all the girls together and remind them that they're in this thing together and they should remind Gordy that he needs them as much as they need him and to show them each some more respect? Just wondering.
    all of those are possibilities but just wasn't in the cards. In fact there were many times while Betty and Barbara were living that questions were brought up concerning their participation in the group [[and many times on here) and we got nothing. I just feel their time in the group was so short and so long ago that they just didn't see any reason to stir up anything negative [[that probably was overly exaggerated).

Barbara has her place in history as the fourth Supreme who left to get married and settle down and start a family who never had a bad word to say about her Supreme sisters.

Probably all of them were pissed...for about a minute. I hardly think Diana has carried around a nearly 60 year grudge because Barbara left, especially since IMO the group just got better. Now had Barbara left and the Supremes fell on their faces never to be heard from again...
    Hmmm - so maybe it was okay to be pissed after 1972 at people that left

I wasn’t implying that Diana has held a grudge all these years. I’ve seen her mention the 4th Supreme a couple of times. But I don’t think she has given much thought about someone she worked with as a teen for a very short time, almost 60 years ago.

I wasn’t implying that Diana has held a grudge all these years. I’ve seen her mention the 4th Supreme a couple of times. But I don’t think she has given much thought about someone she worked with as a teen for a very short time, almost 60 years ago.
    I would think you wold be correct.

I would think you wold be correct.
    I second that. The expectation that she would take to social media or talk to a news outlet regarding the passing of someone she worked with for five seconds sixty years ago is just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by monicarivers View Post
    I second that. The expectation that she would take to social media or talk to a news outlet regarding the passing of someone she worked with for five seconds sixty years ago is just silly.
    Absolutely

all of those are possibilities but just wasn't in the cards. In fact there were many times while Betty and Barbara were living that questions were brought up concerning their participation in the group [[and many times on here) and we got nothing. I just feel their time in the group was so short and so long ago that they just didn't see any reason to stir up anything negative [[that probably was overly exaggerated).

Barbara has her place in history as the fourth Supreme who left to get married and settle down and start a family who never had a bad word to say about her Supreme sisters.
    Agreed. I do recall reading somewhere [[probably on the net) that Barbara did say that there was a period of time when the girls became famous that she couldn't watch the Supremes on TV or listen to their music, but I don't know how true that was.

Hmmm - so maybe it was okay to be pissed after 1972 at people that left
    When was Diana ever pissed at someone leaving, especially after 1972? I imagine there was some anger about the Florence situation way back when, but Flo's leaving was probably more relief than anything, from Diana's perspective, although I'm sure she wished things could have been different.

I see what you mean now. Yeah, I figure Barbara has never been someone Diana spends much time thinking about. I'm betting the same goes for Mary. But I would've thought Diana would have had something to say about an original Supreme's passing.

Absolutely
    Sometimes I forget that any criticism of Diana- if what I did could be categorized as criticism- in this forum is met with a strange wall of protection around her name. That was very silly of me.

Maybe “silly” was the wrong word. I didn’t think Ran’s post was critical of Diana. I just don’t think her making a public comment regarding Barbara Martin’s passing is a realistic expectation.

Agreed. I do recall reading somewhere [[probably on the net) that Barbara did say that there was a period of time when the girls became famous that she couldn't watch the Supremes on TV or listen to their music, but I don't know how true that was.
    I never read that about Barbara but I do remember something similar like that about Flo.

I never read that about Barbara but I do remember something similar like that about Flo.
    Makes sense but especially for Flo

It would have taken a unique personality to cope with being the background singer as things evolved