[REMOVE ADS]

Marvin Gaye - Ain't That Peculiar

Wonder how many times this has been posted here. Well worth seeing anyway as Marvin looks and sounds so good singing in this video. He's that stubborn kind of wonderful one Marvin Gaye singing "Ain't That Peculiar".

This is one of my all-time favorite Marvin Gaye songs. Thank you mysterysinger!

Love this performance of ATP.

Although it has been over 50 years, I still remember the weekend when my parents and I visited my brother while he was stationed at Fort Bragg. We were standing around outside some barracks and someone inside was playing this song over and over again at full volume. There would have been no cassettes or 8 tracks then with a repeat feature, so the only way they could have done it would have been to put the needle on the turntable over and over again. So clearly it was somebody's favorite at that time!

Never tire of this and it’s what, 54-55 years ago since I first heard it. Moods of Marvin Gaye is one of the first albums I ever owned

Certainly, What's Going On and the albums that followed cemented Marvin's artistry, but I have such a fondness for all the early tracks. His Super Hits album has always been one of my absolute favorites. As a lover of comic books, I enjoyed the cover as well. I was so pleased that they included You on this collection as it was huge favorite of mine - one I still sometimes sing to myself while I comb my hair in the mornings!

Marvin's extraordinary talent shone through right from the start where it only hinted at the magic that was to come.

Such a very sad loss!

Wonderful! Love seeing these rare clips and in HD it appears. Marvin was such a cool, smooth, classy performer.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Although it has been over 50 years, I still remember the weekend when my parents and I visited my brother while he was stationed at Fort Bragg. We were standing around outside some barracks and someone inside was playing this song over and over again at full volume. There would have been no cassettes or 8 tracks then with a repeat feature, so the only way they could have done it would have been to put the needle on the turntable over and over again. So clearly it was somebody's favorite at that time!
    Actually, there was a way to have records repeat. Many record players and stereos, unlike today's turntables, had a long spindle. This allowed records to be stacked [[maybe up to 6, in some cases) and to drop and play when the previous record was done. This could be done for both albums and 45s.

There was a balance [[?) arm that was placed on the waiting records to hold them steady on the spindle prior to being dropped. If there were no records waiting to be dropped the turntable would stop after a record played when the tone arm returned to its' resting spot.

My record player would repeat a record non-stop if I left the balance arm "open" to the right of the turntable, over to where the tone arm rested when not playing a record, rather than "closed" at the spindle. I did this frequently with a new 45 purchase. To this day my mother hates "Grapevine" by Gladys because I let it play non-stop for an hour with my bedroom door open while I roamed around the house.

Not all record players or stereos had this capability.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post

There was a balance [[?) arm that was placed on the waiting records to hold them steady on the spindle prior to being dropped.
    I remember this arm was called the "overarm" on my Garrard Autoslim turntable. This video may help with the explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2ERpsra4dI

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    I remember this arm was called the "overarm" on my Garrard Autoslim turntable. This video may help with the explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2ERpsra4dI
    Thanks rovereab for finding this video. I meant to look at youtube to find a video such as this to accompany my post, but I got distracted and completely forgot.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    Actually, there was a way to have records repeat. Many record players and stereos, unlike today's turntables, had a long spindle. This allowed records to be stacked [[maybe up to 6, in some cases) and to drop and play when the previous record was done. This could be done for both albums and 45s.

There was a balance [[?) arm that was placed on the waiting records to hold them steady on the spindle prior to being dropped. If there were no records waiting to be dropped the turntable would stop after a record played when the tone arm returned to its' resting spot.

My record player would repeat a record non-stop if I left the balance arm "open" to the right of the turntable, over to where the tone arm rested when not playing a record, rather than "closed" at the spindle. I did this frequently with a new 45 purchase. To this day my mother hates "Grapevine" by Gladys because I let it play non-stop for an hour with my bedroom door open while I roamed around the house.

Not all record players or stereos had this capability.
    From what I remember of my own turntables I can clearly visualize what you are saying. Thanks for the input.

We had an Argosy record player. It took up to 12 single records on the spindle. I used to like playing records on random even then. I would select the 12 45s I wanted to play then gently shuffle them and put them on the spindle without looking. I’d then shut the lid and enjoy