[REMOVE ADS]

Marv Johnson - Oh Mary

Released in August 1961 was Marv Johnson's "Oh Mary", admittedly not on a Motown label but written, nevertheless, by Berry Gordy and William Stevenson and produced by Berry too. The B side was a song called "Show Me".

Might take a few listens I think.

And here's Marv performing the B Side "Show Me" written and produced by Berry Gordy [[sounds a little like a Miracles type record in parts).

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  21.1 KB
    For all intents and purposes, Marv Johnson was still a Motown artist until mid 1963, as from his follow-up to "Come To Me" in mid 1959 to then, his records were produced by Motowners [[Berry Gordy, Brian Holland-Robert Bateman, Mickey Stevenson, Smokey Robinson, and Clarence Paul); he was recorded in The Snakepit, his background singers were The RayBer Voices, Andantes, Vandellas, and Love-Tones; his songwriters werehis producers plus other Motown staff, the session musicians were The Motown band - Joe Hunter's, and later, The Funk Brothers, and other Motown musicians. His only difference from Motown artists was that he had his contract with United Artists, and his records came out on their label. However, in mid 1963, UA turned him over to New York producer Bert Berns, who gave him songs by New York writers, and recorded him in New York. Then, he was handed over to other New York producers, like Gerry Leiber and Mike Stoller, and finally, Pop producers like Alan Lorber, and Lockie Edwards. When those weaker productions stopped getting him on the charts, he resorted to going back to his "Motown Style" in early 1964, recording a Jobete Music song he'd written for Motown [["The Man Who Don't Believe in Love", running the New York session, to make the recording sound like a Motown recording, But, even that didn't help him get back on the charts. So, when his 5 year deal with UA lapsed, UA dropped him, and he drifted back to Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Released in August 1961 was Marv Johnson's "Oh Mary", admittedly not on a Motown label but written, nevertheless, by Berry Gordy and William Stevenson and produced by Berry too. The B side was a song called "Show Me".

Might take a few listens I think.

It definitely has that early 60s feel to it. Marv's granddaughter is on Youtube and comments to his videos.