[REMOVE ADS]

Identifying The Velvelettes

Ok, so I think I finally got this. When it comes to girl groups, one thing I've noticed as that women can drastically change their appearance from photo to photo making it difficult to identify members if you aren't that familiar with a lineup. With that in mind, I know there is one person in particular here on the forum who can tell me if I have made the proper identification in each of the following photos...Name:  velvelettes lineup 2.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  78.8 KBName:  velvelettes lineup 3.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  86.5 KBName:  velvelettes lineup 8.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  83.0 KBName:  velvelettes lineup 9.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  80.3 KBName:  velvelettes lineup.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  85.0 KBName:  velvelettes lineup5.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  80.5 KBName:  velvelettes lineup7.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  77.7 KBName:  velvelettes lineup 10.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  77.4 KB

Perfect 100%

If I'm not mistaken, in photo #7 [[next to last) I think that's Norma on the right, not Milly.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Perfect 100%
    You got the "Bat Signal" I was hoping you would chime in on this. And as near as I can tell it seems Norma and Mildred may have been performing at different times once they went to a trio. In photos, sometimes it would be Norma, Carolyn and Bertha. Other times Mildred, Carolyn and Bertha. At least til '67 or '68.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, in photo #7 [[next to last) I think that's Norma on the right, not Milly.
    Yeah, I had to study that one but the smile, the lips give it away. Mildred had a very identifiable smile; in particular, it's the upper lip that I notice; her smile is similar to a girl I had a huge crush on!

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    No it isnt. If you look at other pictures from that "glamour shot" [[as the ladies might refer to them), it might make it more clearer for you.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    You got the "Bat Signal" I was hoping you would chime in on this. And as near as I can tell it seems Norma and Mildred may have been performing at different times once they went to a trio. In photos, sometimes it would be Norma, Carolyn and Bertha. Other times Mildred, Carolyn and Bertha. At least til '67 or '68.
    Norma, Milly and Bertha had gone by 1967 - long before in fact. In early 1966 when the Velvelettes did the "Where The Action Is" show, Annette had been recruited and, FOR THAT ONE TOUR ONLY, Gail Sonders was also in the line up.

You might be interested to know that one of their biggest fans was ....Mrs Esther Gordy Edwards! Now supporters don't come much better than that! Mrs Edwards was constantly pushing for the Velvelettes and helping them. She would organise the making of their uniforms, arrange concert dates, push for recording sessions etc. For example, Mrs Edwards was instrumental in getting Harvey Fuqua to put that Batman sketch together and who do you think got them on the Caravan of Stars tour and the Where The Action Is show...where they did not one, not two, not even three but FOUR songs!

By the way, the Velvelettes are still performing - but they seem to be in more demand in Europe than the US which is a bit of a shame. If any promoter is interested in having the ladies perform in a venue, I am more than happy to help them on their way. :-)
    Last edited by theboyfromxtown; 03-27-2020 at 10:38 AM.

Norma, Milly and Bertha had gone by 1967 - long before in fact. In early 1966 when the Velvelettes did the "Where The Action Is" show, Annette had been recruited and, FOR THAT ONE TOUR ONLY, Gail Sonders was also in the line up.

You might be interested to know that one of their biggest fans was ....Mrs Esther Gordy Edwards! Now supporters don't come much better than that! Mrs Edwards was constantly pushing for the Velvelettes and helping them. She would organise the making of their uniforms, arrange concert dates, push for recording sessions etc. For example, Mrs Edwards was instrumental in getting Harvey Fuqua to put that Batman sketch together and who do you think got them on the Caravan of Stars tour and the Where The Action Is show...where they did not one, not two, not even three but FOUR songs!

By the way, the Velvelettes are still performing - but they seem to be in more demand in Europe than the US which is a bit of a shame. If any promoter is interested in having the ladies perform in a venue, I am more than happy to help them on their way. :-)
    Mrs. Edwards was the one that introduced me to them in 1989.

Any group photos with Sandra Tilley?

I really appreciate that boyfromxtown. I've always been a little cloudy on the timeline of when Mildred, Norma and Bertha had stopped recording and Sandra/Annette joined. I've been playing my Velvelettes Motown Anthology CD lately and wanted to really get to know the group better. How great to know about Mrs Gordy Edwards involvement and enthusiasm for the group.

I had been aware that the ladies were still performing. I've seen articles through the years on how close the ladies are and to me, that is the greatest thing- their closeness and that they seem to have such a great grounded perspective on their time at Motown. You're right, they do seem to be busier and even more popular now than ever. I'm not surprised though that Europe would keep them busier than here. The U.S. doesn't value its musical heritage. At least, it seems not when it comes to Motown/Soul/R&B and Blues music. It seems as soon as the newest musical stars emerge, everthing else that came before is dead and gone more or less.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Yeah, I had to study that one but the smile, the lips give it away. Mildred had a very identifiable smile; in particular, it's the upper lip that I notice; her smile is similar to a girl I had a huge crush on!
    The reason I thought it might be Norma rather than Milly was remembering another photo from the same session and looking at the heights in that one.
    Bert was always the tallest, Cal and Milly about the same height, and Norma was much shorter. In that photo, Bert and Cal appear to be the same height and Milly [[if it's Milly, and I suppose it is) appears much shorter, but that could be because of the poses. [[Actually it doesn't look a whole lot like either of them.)

Name:  sounds_velvettes_1.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  31.2 KB
    Last edited by BigAl; 03-27-2020 at 02:46 PM.