[REMOVE ADS]

Lynda Laurence [[formerly of THE SUPREMES) at "My Place" in Santa Monica CA. 1985

I was searching for something else when I found this concert from Lynda. I apologize if this was already posted but didn't see it when I searched.

Impressive. Never got a chance to listen to Lynda before. Thank you for posting.

Watched about a minute or so of this. Can't wait to finish the rest. I have audio I ripped from a video that I found of one of Lynda's shows back in the 80s, but this isn't the same show. The other one I don't think she had backup singers and she was doing a lot of MOR stuff mixed with some Motown covers. So far this show looks like more my speed. Can't wait. And Lynda looks so gorgeous and sounds so great. I wonder why she didn't catch another big break after the Supremes. She definitely had the goods.

Lynda is definitely a performer, but is it possible to have too much energy onstage? I like that she sang mostly original songs in this.

Wasn’t a long time Robbin Alexander a background singer for Mary? Lynda def has stage energy!! Sounds better with good head phones.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Wasn’t a long time Robbin Alexander a background singer for Mary? Lynda def has stage energy!! Sounds better with good head phones.
    That was strange seeing Robin Alexander in this video. She doesn't look like her usual self, all bright and smiling. This was around the time she was still backing up Mary. Maybe Mary was on a hiatus allowing Robin to pick up this gig.

WOW! No wonder a certain ex Supreme couldn't get along with Lynda! Lawrence could sing her out of the room. [[And, apparently, did!)

Still holding on to that bitter pill I see
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    WOW! No wonder a certain ex Supreme couldn't get along with Lynda! Lawrence could sing her out of the room. [[And, apparently, did!)

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Still holding on to that bitter pill I see
    Peace-

Ignore “them”...the same individual is operating under 3-4 screen names on this here forum. Psychotic!

Quote Originally Posted by monicarivers View Post
    Peace-

Ignore “them”...the same individual is operating under 3-4 screen names on this here forum. Psychotic!
    Oh heavens, I certainly do. Thanks for the advice! The Lynda set is a nice surprise.

Ain’t that the pot calling the kettle black. It’s interesting in the short time you been on this board, the bulk of your posts have been very negative. Maybe u need to follow your own advice.
    Peace-

Ain’t that the pot calling the kettle black. It’s interesting in the short time you been on this board, the bulk of your posts have been very negative. Maybe u need to follow your own advice.
    another Marv/Luke/Detmotownguy sycophant...you all are priceless!

I see that someone got triggered. Tryin to dip all into the kool aid and you don’t even know the flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Lynda is definitely a performer, but is it possible to have too much energy onstage?
    Nope. Not in my opinion. Lynda always did have a lot of energy. That's one of the things I loved about her joining the Supremes. She made them youthful and energetic again, two things they were not when Cindy was with them.

I see that someone got triggered. Tryin to dip all into the kool aid and you don’t even know the flavor.
    Hit the ignore BG. The point of Dramaca Smithers is to disrupt and only disrupt. It's time we treat the disrupters like Corvid-19: isolate and let it die off so we can all get back to quality, adult discussions of the ladies who comprise the incomparable Supremes.

What did you think of Lynda's performance?

Lynda’s vocals are always amazing. I always wonder why any of the 70’s Supremes didn’t achieve solo stardom.
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Hit the ignore BG. The point of Dramaca Smithers is to disrupt and only disrupt. It's time we treat the disrupters like Corvid-19: isolate and let it die off so we can all get back to quality, adult discussions of the ladies who comprise the incomparable Supremes.

What did you think of Lynda's performance?

I wonder who is making negative statements? I only had positive things to say about Lynda - I've read negative comments about her for years by 1 or 2 on this forum, though.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I wonder who is making negative statements? I only had positive things to say about Lynda - I've read negative comments about her for years by 1 or 2 on this forum, though.
    Nothing “negative” was said, Peace. I’m appreciative of this clip and have met Lynda. She is a real fine lady with a great voice - probably the second “strongest” in my opinion after Scherrie. She was also terrific on RTL during her solo numbers.

What they are referring to is my calling them out on their hypocrisy. They’re like abusive wives who keep going back regardless of how awful their buddy in these forums is regarding certain performers and other forum members. They wanna call him the poor victim? So be it. They jumped on me the moment I made a few cracks and accused me of having 15 different screen names and rejoining only to “attack” poor MD and Mary. They seem to conveniently forget that this person has been on a tear since the 1980’s and that many of us longtime fans [[and even several of the Supremes) are over it. I guess we all need to suck it up and accept the fact that posting clips of Susie Sue Summers, the former lead singer of the Macaroonettes coming out of retirement to sing her never-charter 1960 single on a telethon in Idaho glosses over the threats and attacks on other artists and forum members over the years. Oh well.

Lynda’s vocals are always amazing. I always wonder why any of the 70’s Supremes didn’t achieve solo stardom.
    Same here. It's been awhile, but on the forum there used to be a popular [[among some) opinion that the reasons Flo and Mary didn't find solo success is because they just weren't on Diana's talent level. I always called bullshit, and the 70s Supremes are a great case in point. Jean, Lynda, Scherrie, Susaye...all fantastic talents that record companies should've been jumping at the chance to record and promote, yet we really don't know any of them as solo artists post Supremes. I'm starting to think that being a Supreme for anyone other than Diana was a curse where solo careers are concerned. It's hard for me to imagine a musical world where we do not know the names of Florence, Mary, Jean, Lynda, Scherrie and Susaye even without the name Supremes. They were talented enough.

Of course some of their solo career struggles aren't mysteries. Flo's go was hampered by an inability to capitalize off of her status as a Supreme, signing with the wrong label, initially being paired with the wrong producer, choosing Tommy as her manager, conflict between she and George Kerr in the studio, alcoholism and pregnancy. Jean managed to hook up with a big deal company but then decided she didn't like the direction they wanted to take her and it is said she refused to do promotion for her album [[don't know how true that is). One has to wonder if she ruffled enough feathers and the birds whispered in the industry that she was one to leave alone. And I won't even get on Mary's misadventures again.

But there are huge question marks on Scherrie, Susaye and Lynda, whom I would've put money on that they would leave the Supremes and find some degree of solo success.

Didn’t Jean just lose interest in becoming a star ...family, religion...

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Didn’t Jean just lose interest in becoming a star ...family, religion...
    That's the easy answer. There were things [[starting with having to fight for royalties from Motown), that PROBABLY made the recording industry look less attractive to her than some other business.

Does anyone know what exactly was Jean issues with A&M?

I believe she didn’t want to promote album ...why I don’t know.