[REMOVE ADS]

UK Gold Disc for You Can't Hurry Love

An unexpected 76th Birthday Present for Diana as You Can't Hurry Love has been certified Gold in the UK as of 20 March 2020.

This equates to sales of 400k since 1994.

Sales are actually accelerating - the record was certifed Silver [[200k) almost exactly 2 years ago.

At the end of June 2019 the total since 1994 was 312k which means it had been selling at a rate of around 7.5k a month - that means sales of 88k in just under 9 months since then, now almost 10k a month.

Taking into account pre-1994 sales the full total is around 600k making it their 2nd biggest UK seller behind Baby Love which is now on 800k+.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    An unexpected 76th Birthday Present for Diana as You Can't Hurry Love has been certified Gold in the UK as of 20 March 2020.

Sales are actually accelerating - the record was certifed Silver [[200k) almost exactly 2 years ago.

At the end of June 2019 the total since 1994 was 312k which means it had been selling at a rate of around 7.5k a month - that means sales of 88k in just under 9 months since then, now almost 10k a month.

Taking into account pre-1994 sales the full total is around 600k making it their 2nd biggest UK seller behind Baby Love which is now on 800k+.
    That's great Florence. Thanks for sharing

So this doesn't include sales from the 60s

Great news .just in time for Diana's b day.
    A classic. Ironically not a fav of mine but now I love it

Where do you get this information Florence? Very interesting

The BPI issue a list of new certifications every Friday which is posted at Brit Certified:

https://www.bpi.co.uk/brit-certified/

although sometimes they can be slow to update.

You can search the site to see all certifications for a particular artist since 1973 when they officially began.

Before then a record company could submit a letter requesting an award but there was nothing official.

The BPI currently has access to full data since 1994 so sales are only from this date.

If a record received a certification before 1994 date then it woudn't be certified now until it had reached the next level and unfortunately at this time the previous sales don't count towards the total although they are apparently working to try and rectify this.

The date of release which is showing for You Can't Hurry Love as 27.11.2004 is simply the date on which Downloads became eligible to be counted in the weekly chart - any before that date are ignored.

Any physical sales of YCHL between 1994 and 2004 would have been minimal.

Last year the OCC issued a list of the top 100 Selling UK Motown tracks of the Millennium [[up to 30 June 2019) to celebrate the label's 60th anniversary.

This showed to that date the record had sold 312k under their criteria.

The BPI have issued a list of the most streamed record in the UK in 2019 for each year since the early 60s.

Motown did well with The Four Tops I Cant Help Myself coming top in 1965 and Marvin and Tammi's Ain't No Mountain High Enough the biggest streamer for 1967.

But the most streamed record for 1966 is The Supremes' You Can't Hurry Love!

As of 02 October 2020 a compilation album by Diana - Love And Life - The Very Best Of Diana Ross and released in 2001 has been certified Platinum in the UK for sales of 300k+.

The album has 41 tracks and includes the track Goin' Back.

It's very complicated now how they calculate sales of albums due to Streaming but obviously her 5 big Digital Era tracks account for much of this - You Can't Hurry Love [[although Supremes on the album), I'm Coming Out, Endless Love, Upside Down, Chain Reaction.

Thanks for posting that information

The BPI issue a list of new certifications every Friday which is posted at Brit Certified:

https://www.bpi.co.uk/brit-certified/

although sometimes they can be slow to update.

You can search the site to see all certifications for a particular artist since 1973 when they officially began.

Before then a record company could submit a letter requesting an award but there was nothing official.

The BPI currently has access to full data since 1994 so sales are only from this date.

If a record received a certification before 1994 date then it woudn't be certified now until it had reached the next level and unfortunately at this time the previous sales don't count towards the total although they are apparently working to try and rectify this.

The date of release which is showing for You Can't Hurry Love as 27.11.2004 is simply the date on which Downloads became eligible to be counted in the weekly chart - any before that date are ignored.

Any physical sales of YCHL between 1994 and 2004 would have been minimal.

Last year the OCC issued a list of the top 100 Selling UK Motown tracks of the Millennium [[up to 30 June 2019) to celebrate the label's 60th anniversary.

This showed to that date the record had sold 312k under their criteria.
    Yes, great info and thanks!

That is great news - I remember buying two 45 when this came out. The Supremes and one by the Beatles. The Supremes record got played so much it was scrth in three places. There are probably some folks on here that don't even know what a 45 was. lol.

Does this make this song their biggest all time seller

Diana is roaring ahead in the UK.

I'm Coming Out certified Gold as of 16 October 2020 for UK sales of 400k since 1994.

Selling at a rate of 8.7k a month!

Diana is roaring ahead in the UK.

I'm Coming Out certified Gold as of 16 October 2020 for UK sales of 400k since 1994.

Selling at a rate of 8.7k a month!
    That is great news. She will be very pleased to hear of this.
    She would no doubt have been presented with these discs, probably at Glastonbury had her tour gone ahead as planned next year. Sadly they will probably have to be presented virtually which is not quite the same.

Diana Ross & Lionel Richie Endless Love certified Gold [[400k) in UK as of 13 August 2021.

This is based on sales from 1994.

Although the record sold around 300k in 1981 due to Motown changing its distributor in the UK from EMI to RCA while Endless Love was charting neither distributor shipped 250k so no Silver disc was claimed as Motown was not a member of BPI.

This would put total sales to date in the UK at around 700k.

actually an unexpected present for Diana, Mary and Flo , for this is a Supremes track, in this the 60th anniversary

wonder if this changes anything in regards to what is their biggest seller. for years,
    Baby Love...
    Love Child
    You Cant Hurry Love
    someday well be together '
    stoned Love were considered their top 5 , with this new gold disc,wonder if the ranking has changed any

Nice that on the day Diana releases her first album in 15 years Where Did Our Love Go single receives a Silver certification in the UK [[200k) for sales since 2004.

Overall total would be around 620k.

Nice that on the day Diana releases her first album in 15 years Where Did Our Love Go single receives a Silver certification in the UK [[200k) for sales since 2004.

Overall total would be around 620k.
    Very nice. Wonder if she knows.

forgot about Going Back, wish we could get a collection with all these gems

Great news, as of 12 November [[2021) You Can't Hurry Love has been officially certified Platinum in the UK for sales of 600k.

This is the first Supremes' single to attain this award in the UK.

Note that this is only from 1994 the date from which the OCC has access to full sales data here.

Eventually they hope to be able to incorporate sales prior to this.

At time of release YCHL was outsold by Baby Love, Where Did Our Love Go, Stoned Love, Reflections and Nathan Jones.

However it is far and away their biggest seller in the digital age now at around 10k a month.

Total sales to date are somewhere in the region of 800k which still puts it a bit behind Baby Love but it should eventually become the girls' biggest seller in the UK.

Years ago someone on the forum had a complete U.S. scoundscan inventory for every Diana Ross album,cd,cassette and single..it made very interesting reading i made myself a printout of the info but i cant find it anymore..Scoundscan started in 1991 so it calculates all of Diana's sales from that time period onwards...if memory serves me correctly "One Woman" complilation was her highest U.S. selling album since soundscan's inception

Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    Years ago someone on the forum had a complete U.S. scoundscan inventory for every Diana Ross album,cd,cassette and single..it made very interesting reading i made myself a printout of the info but i cant find it anymore..Scoundscan started in 1991 so it calculates all of Diana's sales from that time period onwards...if memory serves me correctly "One Woman" complilation was her highest U.S. selling album since soundscan's inception
    Jobeterob posted some Soundscan info in this thread.

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...iana+soundscan

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Jobeterob posted some Soundscan info in this thread.

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...iana+soundscan
    Thanks Reese your a doll ! Im glad this thread was archived theres many members who have sadly passed away who had incredible knowledge on The Supremes and Diana at one point I was working at a lawfirm and printed out EVERY thread to have a hard copy in case threads were deleted...i dont know how many reams of the law firm's paper i "used" but it was thousands and thousands of pages..sadly a family member threw them all away when it was stored at in my parents garage...

And still they keep selling in the UK.

18 March 2022 - Stop! In The Name Of Love certified Silver for sales of 200k since 1994

I re-read all the sales info; I almost think I should reproduce it on this thread so we don't lose it; interesting.

UK Diana Ross Compilation album The Greatest certified Gold as of 22 July 2022

No doubt fuelled by her recent tour as of 02 September Diana Ross' Upside Down certified Gold for UK sales of 400k since November 1994.

This would put total sales to date at around 860/900k.

Expect a Platinum announcement soon for I'm Coming Out.

No doubt fuelled by her recent tour as of 02 September Diana Ross' Upside Down certified Gold for UK sales of 400k since November 1994.

This would put total sales to date at around 860/900k.

Expect a Platinum announcement soon for I'm Coming Out.
    It’s great to know the legacy endures Flo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    It’s great to know the legacy endures Flo.
    It sure does although while Streaming helps the singles it conspires against the albums.

Had Diana come to Glastonbury a few years earlier she would have had a Greatest Hits #1 album.

Chain Reaction is around 960k now and will become her first UK million seller probably next year.

From the group days You Can't Hurry Love is racing towards 1m and might even get there before CR.

This is awesome news.

It sure does although while Streaming helps the singles it conspires against the albums.

Had Diana come to Glastonbury a few years earlier she would have had a Greatest Hits #1 album.

Chain Reaction is around 960k now and will become her first UK million seller probably next year.

From the group days You Can't Hurry Love is racing towards 1m and might even get there before CR.
    I wonder what’s happening regarding the rumoured Philharmonic hits set?.
    There was also meant to be a Diana Ross at the BBC documentary that sadly never transpired.

During her Glastonbury date, there was only a radio show dedicated to Diana Ross:

"Diana Ross at the BBC"
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0018r2r

However, that format is normally used for TV appearances, like in 2009, when there was a "Motown at the BBC" show.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00hq4qr

i was informed that Diana had contacted a throat infection while on tour in UK so therefore cancelled the recording sessions. the plan A is to return later to do vocals or ,plan B ,use her original vocals on these tracks, which i think may be the case. but i was told Diana was happy with her reception in UK and would like to go back in the future.so plans of the symphony tour may be put off until next year depending on Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    i was informed that Diana had contacted a throat infection while on tour in UK so therefore cancelled the recording sessions. the plan A is to return later to do vocals or ,plan B ,use her original vocals on these tracks, which i think may be the case. but i was told Diana was happy with her reception in UK and would like to go back in the future.so plans of the symphony tour may be put off until next year depending on Diana.
    With other artists they have always used the original vocals which i think a much better idea.
    I’m guessing this information was passed onto you by Bluebrock as it’s not documented anywhere on social media. Hope all is well with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    With other artists they have always used the original vocals which i think a much better idea.
    I’m guessing this information was passed onto you by Bluebrock as it’s not documented anywhere on social media. Hope all is well with him.
    I agree Ollie, I’d LOVE an album like that if it were with the original vocals. I’m a big fan of the Elvis and Aretha Philharmonic sets.
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 09-05-2022 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    so plans of the symphony tour may be put off until next year depending on Diana.
    Symphony tour?!!!!!!

What is this? First I've heard of it.

Symphony tour?!!!!!!

What is this? First I've heard of it.
    I’m none the wiser either.

As of 25 November I'm Coming Out certified Platinum [[600k) in UK for sales from 1994.

Diana's first solo Platinum Disc - Supremes' You Can't Hurry Love previously certified Platinum.

Not one of her biggest sellers originally in the UK and lagged behind Chain Reaction and Endless Love on downloads but in the Streaming area dwarfs everything else - total to date around 730k.

My apologies, no symphony tour, I meant ,symphony album.
    Senior moment ,my apologies

Ain't No Mountain High Enough certified Silver [[200k) in UK 17.03.2023 for sales since 1994.

Total sales 400k.