[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson sings Respect

Well alright! Get on down Mary Wilson! LOL! Thank you very much Luke!

Believe it or not, of the three songs, I like Mary on "Respect" the most. The arrangement was suited to her and didn't try to get too Aretha-esque. It was very contemporary 80s rock/soul. I cringed when I saw the title. Nothing about Mary says she should be covering the Queen. But I'm glad to see that she handled it well. "Bad Case Of Loving You" was okay. I enjoyed the musicians more than anything else, but Mary did an acceptable job. I didn't enjoy her duet with Bill Medley at all. During this time Mary seemed to enjoy showing off the power of her voice rather than the melody, which was glaringly absent from her performance of "Mountain". This just wasn't Mary's forte. She should've been doing songs like "Piano In the Dark" or covering Anita Baker. The world would've really been able to see what Mary's true gifts are.

I very much enjoyed Mary singing this Aretha classic. From the play, "Beehive":

These are not bad and fit with the times

If Mary had stayed consistent with something, had a record contract and some decent management and dropped the constant connection she always made to Diana Ross, she might have had a hit and done okay

Instead, now it’s just all about her connection to Diana and Motown

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I very much enjoyed Mary singing this Aretha classic. From the play, "Beehive":
    I have the audio of this in my collection. I think I've said this in the forum before, but my opinion is that Mary does not have a voice that lends itself well to singing other people's songs. She definitely needed songwriters and producers who would give her original material that she could sink her teeth into. However, there are always exceptions to rules and this video of "Do Right Woman, Man" is a case in point. She doesn't make me forget about Queen Ree, but she does an admirable job. Now when she did "Don't Let the Teardrops Bother You", she made Dionne Warwick's version instantly forgettable.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    These are not bad and fit with the times

If Mary had stayed consistent with something, had a record contract and some decent management and dropped the constant connection she always made to Diana Ross, she might have had a hit and done okay

Instead, now it’s just all about her connection to Diana and Motown
    I agree with consistency and decent management [[which may have secured her a recording contract with a major player). During the 80s she was all over the place with the music she was doing, most of which weren't all that suited to her talents IMO. I hate to see talented people not get what they deserved. And after everything Mary went through as a Supreme and then as a battered wife, she deserved at least one number one hit and a million selling album that was all Mary and nobody else.

I would've LOVED it for Mary to sing "Piano in the Dark"!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I have the audio of this in my collection. I think I've said this in the forum before, but my opinion is that Mary does not have a voice that lends itself well to singing other people's songs. She definitely needed songwriters and producers who would give her original material that she could sink her teeth into. However, there are always exceptions to rules and this video of "Do Right Woman, Man" is a case in point. She doesn't make me forget about Queen Ree, but she does an admirable job. Now when she did "Don't Let the Teardrops Bother You", she made Dionne Warwick's version instantly forgettable.
    Have you heard her do Sting's "Fields of Gold"?

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    She did, but this is not her best performance of it. I have a great version she did in 1990. This is from a concert in 1999:

Last edited by marv2; 03-25-2020 at 07:09 PM.

I think Mary did sing Piano in the Dark In her 90s shows.

She seemed at her best with the ballads; I thought Touch was really good; it was very difficult to have a hit with those kinds of songs. But Roberta Flack sure did it.

I know that the other members of Destiny’s Child had some early success; have they disappeared or are they still achieving some success?

..and then there was "HERO" by Mariah Carey. She added this to her concerts shortly after the death of her son in 1994:

The duet with Bill Medley was actually the pilot for Mary Wilson's and Bill Medley's proposed show called "Shout!" in 1987. The very tail end of the clip is the promo for "Supreme Soul" the stage musical Mary starred in with Tommy Nillson in Sweden in 1997. I have seen the entire show and it was pretty spectacular.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Right? It's tailor made for a voice like Mary's. I'm glad Brenda Russell got a big hit out of it, but there will always be a part of me that wishes she had called Mary up and was like "Girl, have I got a song for you!"

Have you heard her do Sting's "Fields of Gold"?
    I hadn't until just now when I looked it up on Youtube. The only vid I found was of her doing it in 2012 and the audience is talking so damn loud that it was too distracting for me to sit through the whole song.

She, but this is not her best performance of it. I have a great version she did in 1990. This is from a concert in 1999:

The sound isn't the best, but she definitely sounds good, just like I thought she would. Would love if she did a studio version of this.

She seemed at her best with the ballads; I thought Touch was really good; it was very difficult to have a hit with those kinds of songs. But Roberta Flack sure did it.

I know that the other members of Destiny’s Child had some early success; have they disappeared or are they still achieving some success?
    Mary's forte was always ballads. That was her lane, though with the right up tempo song she could still do well. I've said before that Mary should've been given the leads on some Roberta Flack type tunes. They had very similar lower ranges, although Roberta was better equipped with an upper range than Mary was.

Regarding Destiny's Child, I wasn't a fan- with the exception of an occasional song- and don't really follow any of them as soloist. However, Letoya, who was one of the originals kicked out, had a couple of big hits on her own and then segued into movies and TV, which she is pretty good at and works consistently.

..and then there was "HERO" by Mariah Carey. She added this to her concerts shortly after the death of her son in 1994:

Now that was nice. She could've done without the one background singer, the dude on the end. But other than that, very well done. I wonder if Mariah has ever seen this.

I hadn't until just now when I looked it up on Youtube. The only vid I found was of her doing it in 2012 and the audience is talking so damn loud that it was too distracting for me to sit through the whole song.
    Ok check this out starting at around 10:53 into the video. I was at this concert. There were upwards of 20,000 people according to the NY Park Ranger, but the stage was elevated high above the crowd so there aren't as many distractions:

Ok check this out starting at around 10:53 into the video. I was at this concert. There were upwards of 20,000 people according to the NY Park Ranger, but the stage was elevated high above the crowd so there aren't as many distractions:

What a flat out lie. No disrespect for Mary but there is absolutely no way she performed before 20,000 people - maybe before 1970 but c’mon, let’s be realistic here.

Then prove him wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by monicarivers View Post
    What a flat out lie. No disrespect for Mary but there is absolutely no way she performed before 20,000 people - maybe before 1970 but c’mon, let’s be realistic here.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Then prove him wrong.
    Where is HIS proof? I’d like to have a word with that park ranger. Mary Wilson MIGHT attract 1,000 people on a good night. You all are insufferable when it comes to defending his nonsense. Why not just block me, blackguy69 if you are going to continue to come at me every time I question your boyfriend?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I think Mary did sing Piano in the Dark In her 90s shows.
    That and "Been Around the World" by Lisa Stansfield.

My my aren’t we bitchy lol. If you are saying he’s lying then you should be able to prove it.
    Where is HIS proof? I’d like to have a word with that park ranger. Mary Wilson MIGHT attract 1,000 people on a good night. You all are insufferable when it comes to defending his nonsense. Why not just block me, blackguy69 if you are going to continue to come at me every time I question your boyfriend?

My my aren’t we bitchy lol. If you are saying he’s lying then you should be able to prove it.
    Anyone grounded in reality knows that Mary Wilson has never performed before 20,000 people. Stop defending him. You’re attacking the wrong person. Not sure what his appeal is to you all...

You haven’t proved your point yet. Sounds more to me you’re kinda obsessed with Marv. Lol
    Anyone grounded in reality knows that Mary Wilson has never performed before 20,000 people. Stop defending him. You’re attacking the wrong person. Not sure what his appeal is to you all...

And while I’m at it why don’t you just stick to the Diana Ross threads since you seem not to enjoy any of the other Supremes.

[QUOTE=blackguy69;568400]And while I’m at it why don’t you just stick to the Diana Ross threads since you seem not to enjoy any of the other Supremes.[/QUOTE

I literally praised Lynda in the thread on her solo show along with Scherrie. I’ve also posted a few Mary clips. I’m sorry you support Marv’s wishing Diana bodily harm and death. IMHO, that’s immediate ground for him to be silenced and/or banned. Very unfortunate. Per RanRan79, I still don’t know why you don’t have me on ignore. You’re attempts at calling me out are futile at best.
    Last edited by monicarivers; 03-25-2020 at 09:01 PM.

Yes, she does a really good job with "Fields". Mind you I am totally unfamiliar with Sting's version, but clearly this performance is right up Mary's alley. But her version of "You Are So Beautiful" [[a song I really don't care for) is even better. She did a great job with that.

And while I’m at it why don’t you just stick to the Diana Ross threads since you seem not to enjoy any of the other Supremes.
    I wish there was a feature that blocked when other posters quote profiles on my ignore list. I know others have made that wish known but now I'm adding my voice to the choir.

In any case, a Google search would've placed the contested audience in perspective. The following is from a 2011 appearance of Mary's at the same park:

"On Thursday, July 28, the 33rd annual Seaside Summer Concert Series at Coney Island, hosted by Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz, will welcome Mary Wilson of The Supremes as well as The Spinners...the Seaside Series has been the largest free summer concert series in the New York Metropolitan area for the past three decades, entertaining tens of thousands of music lovers every year."

No one would have ever believed that 20,000 people bought tickets [[or even showed up) to a Mary Wilson solo concert just to see Mary. She doesn't have that kind of name recognition. [[Hell, at this point I'd be surprised if Diana could sell 20,000 tickets in the States for any one venue.) I knew as soon as Marv said 20,000 that it was some kind of free concert in the park because I put my thinking cap on.

Yes, she does a really good job with "Fields". Mind you I am totally unfamiliar with Sting's version, but clearly this performance is right up Mary's alley. But her version of "You Are So Beautiful" [[a song I really don't care for) is even better. She did a great job with that.
    I use to wish she wouldn't sing that [["You Are So Beautiful") because so many people have. Years ago she did a stellar version of a combination of "Free Again/I Will Survive" on "The Phil Donahue Show". I would love to hear her do that one now.

I wish there was a feature that blocked when other posters quote profiles on my ignore list. I know others have made that wish known but now I'm adding my voice to the choir.

In any case, a Google search would've placed the contested audience in perspective. The following is from a 2011 appearance of Mary's at the same park:

"On Thursday, July 28, the 33rd annual Seaside Summer Concert Series at Coney Island, hosted by Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz, will welcome Mary Wilson of The Supremes as well as The Spinners...the Seaside Series has been the largest free summer concert series in the New York Metropolitan area for the past three decades, entertaining tens of thousands of music lovers every year."

No one would have ever believed that 20,000 people bought tickets [[or even showed up) to a Mary Wilson solo concert just to see Mary. She doesn't have that kind of name recognition. [[Hell, at this point I'd be surprised if Diana could sell 20,000 tickets in the States for any one venue.) I knew as soon as Marv said 20,000 that it was some kind of free concert in the park because I put my thinking cap on.
    Bingo!

Again!

And then he shuts up or disappears, knackered and cowardly again

Well done RanRan

I use to wish she wouldn't sing that [["You Are So Beautiful") because so many people have. Years ago she did a stellar version of a combination of "Free Again/I Will Survive" on "The Phil Donahue Show". I would love to hear her do that one now.
    I wouldn't want to hear her do "Free Again/I Will Survive". Gladys Knight did a KILLER mashup of the two in her act for many years. I think this might be one of those instances where I would be comparing the first version I heard to the second and I can't imagine anybody doing it better than Gladys.

Bingo!

Again!

And then he shuts up or disappears, knackered and cowardly again

Well done RanRan
    SHE appreciates the context regarding the crowd size and wishes it would have been presented in the original posting.