[REMOVE ADS]

Remake: "These Things" New Remix

I would love a remix of "These Things" by Eric Kuppler. Why Motown did not release it as a single boggles my mind. Some said it was too similar to "Someday We'll Together"- which means I was not on Quality Control that day!

In my book, Diana Ross' vocals on this song are superb. This song and "Once in the Morning" have awesome hooks.

love, love, love "These Things" as well, what a great idea to have Eric Kupper remix it!

If These Things Will Keep Me Loving You had been released as a single:

[[a) it is unlikely that it would have reached #1, being too similar to Someday We'll Be Together;

[[b) Diana Ross specified that she would not leave the Supremes until they had another #1 hit; she had one with Someday We'll Be Together and she was ready to go; she, Mary and Cindy weren't talking much, so why would she want to stay, if the song had been released as a Diana Ross & The Supremes' record, knowing it might take years to get another #1 hit; and

[[c) if it had been released as a Diana-only single it would have caused the public to wonder why Diana left if it was merely to do a similar song as a "solo" artist with what sounded like the same "Supremes" singing background as on Someday We'll Be Together but unbilled for some reason. And then the story about who performed backgrounds on all those previous records would have emerged, and The Supremes would have had less credibility had they tried to go on as a group and Motown and Diana would have been viewed as perpetrators of a fraud and her career and the company's would have been down the drain immediately.

As for remixes, I'm against the whole concept, whether it is Fred Astaire appearing to be dancing with a Hoover sweeper on a TV ad, stripping the film from which the footage was "borrowed" of the dignity it once had, stripping Fred and his original co-star of their dignity and not advancing something new, or whether it is another version of an established hit, having a lot to do with advanced technology but nothing whatsoever to do with the original artist, producer, musicians and their intents.

Quote Originally Posted by mindful1 View Post
    love, love, love "These Things" as well, what a great idea to have Eric Kupper remix it!
    The Elvis remixes were fantastic, especially “Burning Love” with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

I for one would love to hear Kupper and the other DJs breathe some new life into a couple of Supremes songs - how fun!