[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Tabu and Motown

Tabu and Motown

Most of this is from Wikipedia.....

Tabu Productions was an American record label founded by Clarence Avant in 1975. The label, Tabu Records, focused on R&B and funk.

Avant founded the label after Sussex Records went out of business in June 1975. Tabu Record's flagship release, “Stormin'” by Brainstorm, was released in 1977. Tabu Records had a short-lived distribution pact with RCA, which lasted a year before moving to CBS Records.

The label focused on R&B and funk but expanded into other genres such as jazz and disco. Its artists included the Argentine composer and pianist Lalo Schifrin, who composed and scored theme songs for numerous television series, including Mission:Impossibe, and released two projects on Tabu [["No One Home", 1979) and the S.O.S. Band [["Take Your Time [[Do it Right)," 1980) Jazz singer Sharon Ridley [[Full Moon), pianist Manfredo Fest.

Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis were hired to produce The SOS Band's fourth album for Tabu, On the Rise, which was certified gold on January 16, 1984.[citation needed] While recording in SOS's home stomping grounds in Atlanta, Georgia, on March 24, 1983, a freak snowstorm hit, grounding all flights from the city. The duo was scheduled to perform as a part of The Time in San Antonio at the Hemisfair Arena that night but couldn't make it. Subsequently, Prince, who owned and managed The Time, fired them on April 18, 1983. The duo stayed in Los Angeles and became songwriter-producers for artists like New Edition, Boyz II Men and most notably, Janet Jackson.

Working with Jam and Lewis gave Tabu a much-needed shot in the arm. They brought Cherrelle and Alexander O'Neal [[the original Time lead vocalist) to the label and both did well; O'Neal released his self-titled album in 1985, and Cherrelle's "Fragile" hit the American R&B charts in 1984. The SOS Band had more hits with "Just The Way You Like It" in 1984 and "Sands of Time" in 1986, the album of which was certified gold on April 6, 1987.[citation needed] So influential was the sound that Robert Palmer covered Cherrelle's "I Didn't Mean to Turn You On" in 1986, and Beats International covered the SOS Band's "Just Be Good to Me" in 1990. In 1985, Cherrelle and Alexander O'Neal dueted on "Saturday Love," which was a hit in the UK but caught on later with American radio. Other acts like Kid Fire and Demetrius Perry recorded on this label.

Following a stint with Sony, in 1991 the label resurfaced under PolyGram's A&M Records, who distributed it from 1991 until 1993, releasing four albums and about 20 singles.

Avant was hired to run Motown [[another PolyGram label), and, in August 1993, he brought Tabu Records under its aegis. It released collections by the SOS Band, Alexander O'Neal and Cherelle, while signing other artists such as Lucky Dube and Identity Crisis. However, this reappearance was short-lived as well.

In 1999, Seagram bought PolyGram and merged it with the MCA family of labels, which became Universal Music Group. Shortly after, Tabu Records was absorbed into A&M Records.

Absolutely love the album by the ill fated Lucky Dube, in particular the track "Serious Reggae Business". This one by Alexander O'Neal, though you're sure to remember. The performance is from Top Of The Pops in 1987 but the album "The Best Of Alexander O'Neal" was distributed by Motown much later in 1996.

The Lucky Dube album was released in 1995 and "Serious Reggae Business" was a track on the album..

Motown Jamaica ... Name:  lucky-dube-trinity-motown-s.jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  11.0 KB

Brainstorm - "Every Time I See You I Go Wild"

List of Motown/Tabu Polygram CD album releases - were there other albums issued by Motown?

31453-0318-2 90 M.P.H. – Mackframalama
    31453-0361-2 Alexander O'Neal - My Gift To You
    31453-0477-2 Femi Kuti- Femi Kuti
    31453-0479-2 Lucky Dube - Trinity
    31453-0582-2 Akexander O'Neal - The Best Of
    31453-0591-2 Alexander O'Neal - The Best Of
    31453-0592-2 Cherelle - The Best Of
    31453-0593-2 Brainstorm - Journey To The Light
    31453-0594-2 SOS Band - The Best Of
    31453-0595-2 SOS Band - The Best Of

Motown USA
    37463 6373-2 Identity Crisis - The Spanish Afro

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cookep...77720299382037
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 05-31-2022 at 07:06 AM.

The SOS Band - "Just Be Good To Me"

Mystery, I'm not familiar with Sharon Ridley's jazz work, as mentioned above, but she was a Van McCoy artist whose one-and-only LP, "Stay Awhile With Me" on Sussex, was excellent. If only Van had stuck it out with her for another album or two, I'm sure she would have made it to the top of the charts..

I just love "Stay A While With Me" which I had on a single with "When A Woman Falls In Love".

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    I just love "Stay A While With Me" which I had on a single with "When A Woman Falls In Love".
    Yeah, those two tracks are beautiful, Mystery, as is the rest of her Van McCoy-produced album [[despite its shockingly-short tracklist of only 6 songs). Speaking of which, I discovered only yesterday on eBay that her entire "Stay Awhile With Me" Sussex album was released on CD this past December as a Japanese pressing including one bonus track. I haven't heard a thing about its sound quality, but I can't afford to NOT take a chance on it. I've waited far too long for this to get a CD release. I ordered my copy just today.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 10-31-2022 at 03:48 AM.

Gary you are musically insatiable! GOOD FOR YOU!
    and your spectrum of taste and knowledge is most impressive . Always on the hunt for yet one more and
    I get the impression you are more likely to like than not.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Gary you are musically insatiable! GOOD FOR YOU!
    and your spectrum of taste and knowledge is most impressive . Always on the hunt for yet one more and
    I get the impression you are more likely to like than not.
    Hello there, Boogie! Long time no hear. Musically insatiable? I guess you're right. I haven't figured out yet whether that's a blessing or a curse, but...! Any time a Van McCoy production gets a CD release, which is becoming a rare occurrence, is a super-special event for me. Are you familiar with the Sharon Ridley album we were referring to?

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...=sharon+ridley

see my old post here.

I bought 2 of these:
    Sharon and F H & C.
    They sound good.

Huge impact for such a small label. Jam & Lewis are legendary. Alexander O'Neal's "Hearsay" is one of the best R&B/Soul records of all time -- every song, start-to-finish. Cherrelle's "Affair" is sublime, and proof that J&L could have come up with something spectacular for Diana Ross.

P.S. Brainstorm's breakthrough was with "Lovin Is Really My Game." Narada Michael Walden says Whitney loved that song and wanted to remake it. He had prepared the track and was trying to schedule time for her to come in and lay down her vocal just days before she died.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Hello there, Boogie! Long time no hear. Musically insatiable? I guess you're right. I haven't figured out yet whether that's a blessing or a curse, but...! Any time a Van McCoy production gets a CD release, which is becoming a rare occurrence, is a super-special event for me. Are you familiar with the Sharon Ridley album we were referring to?

No I don't know this album at all!

However this:

is a delight.
    So evenly paced yet jam packed with production. Another mysterious Joe Cobb project.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post

P.S. Brainstorm's breakthrough was with "Lovin Is Really My Game." Narada Michael Walden says Whitney loved that song and wanted to remake it. He had prepared the track and was trying to schedule time for her to come in and lay down her vocal just days before she died.
    One of the most innovative disco records: from its harp lead teaser intro, to the purposeful [but perhaps too long] breaks to the clever story line convincingly delivered by Belita Woods, to the wild neck-to-neck race between the strings and the horns trying to outzoom each other ....

and from Detroit.

Had no idea it was a Whitney favorite .....I savor the thought of her taking this even further over the top.....

No I don't know this album at all!

However this:

is a delight.
    So evenly paced yet jam packed with production. Another mysterious Joe Cobb project.
    Boogie, if you like the title track "Stay Awhile With Me", you'll surely like the entire album. The entire presentation is pure Van McCoy.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...=sharon+ridley

see my old post here.

I bought 2 of these:
    Sharon and F H & C.
    They sound good.
    Jack, thanks for easing my mind about the sound quality of the Sharon Ridley CD. My copy is arriving later today [[Wednesday). Can hardly wait!

One of the most innovative disco records: from its harp lead teaser intro, to the purposeful [but perhaps too long] breaks to the clever story line convincingly delivered by Belita Woods, to the wild neck-to-neck race between the strings and the horns trying to outzoom each other ....

and from Detroit.

Had no idea it was a Whitney favorite .....I savor the thought of her taking this even further over the top.....
    Boogie, I've always loved this track! It's wild with nearly-unchecked speed, yet sooooo satisfying!

Boogie, I've always loved this track! It's wild with nearly-unchecked speed, yet sooooo satisfying!
    Pleased to hear of our mutual enjoyment of this tune , Gary.

I don't know who remixed it [?] but here's what the song sounded like before they got their hands on it:

While the disco DJ was eager for any special remixes to help customize his programming for his club's loyalists, and those remixes generally amped up the song, in this case, I find the long recessed breaks dilute the energy achieved by the tightness of the original.

the 12" is fine , especially as club fodder, but for me the original has the edge. The 45 version doesn't seem to be on youtube.

Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-03-2022 at 01:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Huge impact for such a small label. Jam & Lewis are legendary. Alexander O'Neal's "Hearsay" is one of the best R&B/Soul records of all time -- every song, start-to-finish. Cherrelle's "Affair" is sublime, and proof that J&L could have come up with something spectacular for Diana Ross.

Wow, Guy. I didn't know that. I love Narada Michael Walden. I would have loved to hear what he did with his version of "Loving Is Really My Game".

Boogie, I hate to disappoint you, but I'm not crazy about the original mix of "Loving Is Really My Game". I much prefer the remixed version, which is what I've been used to all along.

That’s fine Gary. I’ve enjoyed the remix all these years myself. I’m giving the original only a slight edge.
    I recall the Trammps being displeased with Tom Moulton meddling with their music like DISCO INFERNO only later to understand he’d made it more dance floor friendly and had done them a favor.

——————————

HEY GARY : hope you are aware of this !!

SHOWTIME will air SPECTOR, a four-part documentary series about ducer Phil Spector and what happened on the fateful night of February 3, 2003 when actress Lana Clarkson was shot dead in his mansion. All four episodes of the docuseries will release on demand and on streaming platforms for SHOWTIME subscribers on Friday, November 4, ahead of its on-air premiere on Sunday, November 6 at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

A trailer of the series is available at the below link

https://www.sho.com/spector#:~:text=...a%20monster%3F
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-03-2022 at 11:41 AM.

Yes! Even in her latter days Whitney's voice had enough heft, and she had enough attitude, to do this justice. I would have expected Narada to smooth out the frenzied arrangement of the original -- which worked marvelously for Belita and Brainstorm.

That’s fine Gary. I’ve enjoyed the remix all these years myself. I’m giving the original only a slight edge.
    I recall the Trammps being displeased with Tom Moulton meddling with their music like DISCO INFERNO only later to understand he’d made it more dance floor friendly and had done them a favor.

——————————

HEY GARY : hope you are aware of this !!

SHOWTIME will air SPECTOR, a four-part documentary series about ducer Phil Spector and what happened on the fateful night of February 3, 2003 when actress Lana Clarkson was shot dead in his mansion. All four episodes of the docuseries will release on demand and on streaming platforms for SHOWTIME subscribers on Friday, November 4, ahead of its on-air premiere on Sunday, November 6 at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

A trailer of the series is available at the below link

https://www.sho.com/spector#:~:text=...a%20monster%3F
    Boogie, I wasn't aware that The Trammps copped an attitude toward Tom Moulton's mixes of their Buddah & Atlantic recordings. "Hold Back The Night", "Where The Happy People Go", and "Disco Inferno" are among my all-time favorite Disco tracks. Philly Soul at its finest! I should think The Trammps would have been on their knees thanking Tom for so many wonderful hits.

Boogie, thanks for thinking of me regarding the Phil Spector 4-part documentary covering the murder trial and the final days of his life. I already have a DVD covering that entire segment of his life starring Al Paccino. Frankly, it bothers we to watch any of that depressing stuff. I would much rather watch the DVD "Da Doo Ron Ron" covering Phil's brilliant Philles Records years which is excellent.

Boogie, thanks for thinking of me regarding the Phil Spector 4-part documentary covering the murder trial and the final days of his life. I already have a DVD covering that entire segment of his life starring Al Paccino. Frankly, it bothers we to watch any of that depressing stuff. I would much rather watch the DVD "Da Doo Ron Ron" covering Phil's brilliant Philles Records years which is excellent.
    I get ya 100% Gary. When I saw it was about Phil Spector I immediately thought of you.
    I didn’t realize this four part series would be about just this part of his life.
    sounds a bit excessive and a bit of a waste of one’s time .