[REMOVE ADS]

Bobby Womack and Teena Marie - "With You I'm Born Again"

In all my years listening to Motown, I've never yet come across anything by Teena Marie that I enjoyed. I avoid her at all costs as I hate her voice [[sorry TM fans just an opinion though).

I do love the song "With You I'm Born Again" and I thought this might do it for me but it's yet another song she's ruined. Love Bobby's voice on here though.

Posting it here because of the Motown interest with the song and both are former Motown artists. Plus some of you may enjoy it. Of interest is that the song was written by Carol Connors and David Shire. Carol Connors was previously Annette Kleinbard, the beautiful voice of The Teddy Bears "To Know Him Is To Love Him".

Thanks for posting this, I've never heard it before. It's a very nice version. I wonder what year it was recorded? It kinda makes me wonder what a Teena & Rick James version would have sounded like..

Regarding Teene Marie, I consider her as part of my Holy Trinity of Singers, along with Brenda Holloway and Diana Ross. I love a lot of artists, but Teena, Brenda and Diana are head and shoulder's above everyone else: Aretha, Gladys K., Stevie, Marvin, James B., Michael J. I mean everyone! I got to see Teena three times before she passed [[once alone and twice with Rick J.), and each time she blew me away. The first time was in the mid-90's in a small club outside of Atlanta and to this day, it remains one of the absolute best concerts that I've even attended in my life. Imagine a small, packed club, shoulder to shoulder and she had the entire club captivated. During part of the concert when she was in full flight the entire club was moving in sync and the dance floor was actually moving up and down. I had never experienced anything like that before or since. It was absolutely magical. She had one of the most powerful voices I have ever witnessed. I'm sorry that you don't feel the same way, but I understand, there are also some popular singers who I absolutely cannot stand to listen to like R. Kelly, the Beatles and B. Streisand. I'd rather listen to nails on a chalkboard rather than any of those voices. To me they are truly unlistenable.

I understand that it was recorded in 2010 a few months before she passed.

Thanks. I'd never heard this version before.

I've often wondered why there isn't more discussion of Teena at SD. She is one of the most prolific recording artists birthed by Motown. She has more knockout, heartwrenching ballads in her catalog than any other post-Aretha female soul singer, including Phyllis Hyman.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post

I've often wondered why there isn't more discussion of Teena at SD. She is one of the most prolific recording artists birthed by Motown. She has more knockout, heartwrenching ballads in her catalog than any other post-Aretha female soul singer, including Phyllis Hyman.
    I've wondered as well. Guess not enough to gossip about!! A great singer with a great catalogue, Teena Marie remains.

IMHO this is a beautiful version, then again I am biased as I love everything that Lady Tee has been involved in.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    I understand that it was recorded in 2010 a few months before she passed.
    Thanks for the info and for posting this!

Quote Originally Posted by booty View Post
    IMHO this is a beautiful version, then again I am biased as I love everything that Lady Tee has been involved in.
    She was indeed amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by booty View Post
    Love me some Bobby Womack and the incomparable Lady Tee can do no wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    In all my years listening to Motown, I've never yet come across anything by Teena Marie that I enjoyed. I avoid her at all costs as I hate her voice [[sorry TM fans just an opinion though).

I do love the song "With You I'm Born Again" and I thought this might do it for me but it's yet another song she's ruined. Love Bobby's voice on here though.

Posting it here because of the Motown interest with the song and both are former Motown artists. Plus some of you may enjoy it. Of interest is that the song was written by Carol Connors and David Shire. Carol Connors was previously Annette Kleinbard, the beautiful voice of The Teddy Bears "To Know Him Is To Love Him".

Never heard this rendition before.

Thanks for posting this beautiful collaboration despite of your reservations regarding Lady Tee, The Ivory Queen of Soul's vocal abilities.

Actually I lied, I quite enjoyed her on The Beverly Hillbillies. Forgot about that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post

100% agree. Wonderfully expressive vocalist. We will be very fortunate to hear another vocalist with such a range of emotions in our lifetime. She was totally unique, and a real icon.

Teena Marie is often referred to as a one hit wonder, but in Philly, TM was a staple at parties and gatherings. Even album cuts were played on the radio is my high school/college years. Fire and Desire is a huge hit here, but I always preferred her and Rick’s duet, Happy.

Her last few recordings deserves honorable mention too. For instance, relisten to the Congo Square album.