[REMOVE ADS]

Jeannie Reynolds "The Fruit Song" Question

My sister and I recently had a debate regarding this song. She first heard it around 2000 and told me about it but it was several years before I finally heard it for myself. Recently the song came up in conversation. We both always swore that the song was sexual. What other conclusion is there to draw from folks singing about how much they like cherries and bananas, right? But I recently started thinking that this chick might have just been singing about how much she really loves fruit. Watermelons, grapes, raisins...if these are euphemisms, what the hell are they supposed to be? [[The watermelons I do get.) Am I being naive, or is my sister still on her quest to prove that artists in the 70s were as freaky as the artists today?

I think it's pretty obvious that the song is about sex and sexual attributes but Jeannie
    didn't write it. It was written by Lawrence Payton of The Four Tops along with their manager Fred Bridges. Also interesting is the fact that Jeannie was the sister of L J Reynolds of The Dramatics and the backing musicians were members of P Funk including
    Bootsy Collins on bass. Unfortunately was a troubled woman living a troubled life which
    she decided to end taking her child with her and breaking the heart of not only her brother but her fans, I being one...

.... recorded in Detroit.

this is about liking bananas as a fruit ..... in the same way Diana wants to be 'touched' in the morning
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-18-2020 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I think it's pretty obvious that the song is about sex and sexual attributes but Jeannie
    didn't write it. It was written by Lawrence Payton of The Four Tops along with their manager Fred Bridges. Also interesting is the fact that Jeannie was the sister of L J Reynolds of The Dramatics and the backing musicians were members of P Funk including
    Bootsy Collins on bass. Unfortunately was a troubled woman living a troubled life which
    she decided to end taking her child with her and breaking the heart of not only her brother but her fans, I being one...
    Raisins though Splanky? You're probably right, but don't tell my sister I said that.

Yeah, Jeannie's story is probably one of the most stomach churning in the industry IMO. I managed to acquire copies of two of her albums years ago [[including the one with "Fruit" song on it) and I loved them upon first listen, only to a very short time later learn of what happened to Jeannie and her children. Bothered me so much that I actually couldn't play her music for several years. I would say in the last two years have I acquired the ability to listen to her without thinking about what happened.

She might make an interesting subject for Unsung.