[REMOVE ADS]




Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 78

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Persil Automatic (1988) ''Automatically Sunshine''

    I never saw this before:


  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I never saw this before:

    File under: who cares? Yawn.

  3. #3
    That brought a smile to my face. Just what I needed in these troubled times. Thanks for posting Marv.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozmo View Post
    That brought a smile to my face. Just what I needed in these troubled times. Thanks for posting Marv.
    You're most welcome Ozmo. The ladies doing the vocals did a good job I thought.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by monicarivers View Post
    File under: who cares? Yawn.
    Who cares? You did, dumb ass, which is why you entered the thread.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Who cares? You did, dumb ass, which is why you entered the thread.
    So now we can’t have different opinions without resorting to name calling? Subpar song/cheesy commercial and definitely not worthy of an entire thread.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by monicarivers View Post
    So now we can’t have different opinions without resorting to name calling? Subpar song/cheesy commercial and definitely not worthy of an entire thread.
    I should've put your ass on block a long time ago. That fault is mine. Unfortunately for the forum- and I apologize to you all ahead of the following- since the entire state has basically been shut down and I'm more or less stuck in the house, I got time for the trolls.

    If you weren't on some bullshit, you would've stated that you personally didn't care for the commercial and maybe even given your reasons why. Who couldn't respect that? Instead you disrespected the thread, and yet want to play victim? Fuck out'a here and post something under your other screen name. Even a child knows "who cares? yawn" is a simple, dismissive, negative response to anything. It's a commercial utilizing an under known Supremes song and it's posted in a Supremes forum, and you think it's unworthy of a thread? You're so fake and so phony, right down to the 15th different screen name you've generated over the last year or so. It's always the same MO: join the forum and within two to six posts start going in on Marv, Mary Wilson, and anything that is not Diana Ross. There's no way that these are separate people every time. NO. WAY. Lucky for you Ralph is okay with this bullshit because if I had the power to ban, you'd be out and your IP would be blocked so that your other screen names couldn't make a comeback either. So much for this:

    Quote Originally Posted by monicarivers View Post
    I apologize for the negativity here folks.

    I appreciate contributions to online forums and social media sites that provide and promote healthy discussions on the topics we’ve all come together to discuss and dissect.

    Anyway, here’s to focusing on the music moving forward...

    -MR
    Lies.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I should've put your ass on block a long time ago. That fault is mine. Unfortunately for the forum- and I apologize to you all ahead of the following- since the entire state has basically been shut down and I'm more or less stuck in the house, I got time for the trolls.

    If you weren't on some bullshit, you would've stated that you personally didn't care for the commercial and maybe even given your reasons why. Who couldn't respect that? Instead you disrespected the thread, and yet want to play victim? Fuck out'a here and post something under your other screen name. Even a child knows "who cares? yawn" is a simple, dismissive, negative response to anything. It's a commercial utilizing an under known Supremes song and it's posted in a Supremes forum, and you think it's unworthy of a thread? You're so fake and so phony, right down to the 15th different screen name you've generated over the last year or so. It's always the same MO: join the forum and within two to six posts start going in on Marv, Mary Wilson, and anything that is not Diana Ross. There's no way that these are separate people every time. NO. WAY. Lucky for you Ralph is okay with this bullshit because if I had the power to ban, you'd be out and your IP would be blocked so that your other screen names couldn't make a comeback either. So much for this:



    Lies.
    Calm down dear. You are likely to give yourself a stroke - not a good idea in these perilous times. There is only one person who should be banned (or should I say “persons” considering they operate under at least three screen names simultaneously) and many of us are tired of the BS here and on various other sites. You all are like abusive wives with this person: does something awful then gets a band-aid for posting something insightful like “man, I bought that 45 at Jimmy Bob’s record store on Woodward when I was in college”. Riveting.

    As for the assertion that I am “anti” Mary Wilson, not remotely the case. I just think it’s ludicrous to keep puffing her up on this forum like she’s on the same level as Streisand, Midler, Cher, or...you guessed it, Diana Ross.

    Lastly, I stand by my post about this thread. I personally don’t find it to be a good song and that video isn’t worthy of a thread to begin with!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    You're so fake and so phony, right down to the 15th different screen name you've generated over the last year or so. It's always the same MO: join the forum and within two to six posts start going in on Marv, Mary Wilson, and anything that is not Diana Ross. There's no way that these are separate people every time. NO. WAY.
    @RanRan79, I'm with you on this...gotta be an old troll under a new name.

    The level of nastiness leveled at this thread - which has an absolutely legitimate purpose and place here - has to really be meant for Marv, as in the other recent post where s/he lambasted him for posting the information about Barbara Martin's passing.

  10. #10
    That’s kinda cute

  11. #11
    Great find Marv! Took my mind off of other things!

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Great find Marv! Took my mind off of other things!
    Thanks DET! It does uplift and brings you back to happier times.

  13. #13
    Marv the more I think abt this song, I suggest it can def be repurposed for many other commercials. I think I have played this darn commercial at least 10x.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Marv the more I think abt this song, I suggest it can def be repurposed for many other commercials.
    I agree. Might also add:

    "Up the Ladder" for commercials involving roofs.

    "Bad Weather" for products having to do with rain or snow.

    "Buttered Popcorn" for the obvious.

    "Stoned Love" for markets with legal weed advertisements.

    "Love Child" for one of the birth control medicine commercials.

    And of course "Let Yourself Go" for laxatives.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I agree. Might also add:

    "Up the Ladder" for commercials involving roofs.

    "Bad Weather" for products having to do with rain or snow.

    "Buttered Popcorn" for the obvious.

    "Stoned Love" for markets with legal weed advertisements.

    "Love Child" for one of the birth control medicine commercials.

    And of course "Let Yourself Go" for laxatives.
    hehehehehehehe.........LOL!!!!

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Marv the more I think abt this song, I suggest it can def be repurposed for many other commercials. I think I have played this darn commercial at least 10x.
    I agree. I remember back when it was released as a single by the Supremes. It was in the Spring of the year, which made sense, but it had it's greatest impact during the Fall into Winter. You know how long and dark the Winters get in Michigan LOL!

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I never saw this before:

    Yet ANOTHER great Marv find - thank you - they do a great job!

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Yet ANOTHER great Marv find - thank you - they do a great job!
    You are very welcome. More of the music could have, should have been used in U.S. commercials.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I never saw this before:

    Wow! And that's a perfect jingle song. I don't think I've ever thought about it like that before. Surprised it hasn't been used more.

  20. #20
    i had heard that the song was used in a British laundry detergent commercial but i just assumed 1) they used the Supremes version and 2) it was produced during the time when the song was a hit. had never seen this 80s era commercial! lots of fun

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i had heard that the song was used in a British laundry detergent commercial but i just assumed 1) they used the Supremes version and 2) it was produced during the time when the song was a hit. had never seen this 80s era commercial! lots of fun
    I recall this commercial, but my memory must be playing tricks on me because i had remembered it to be the Supremes version. Age does that to you!
    It's fun to watch but i was never a massive fan of the song, or the Floy Joy album which i found to be bland and lightweight. Each to their own i guess.

  22. #22
    I have never seen this before so thanks for posting. Not a bad song for the time if a little to pop for my own taste. It’s a song that is quite well remembered, at least in the UK.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I have never seen this before so thanks for posting. Not a bad song for the time if a little to pop for my own taste. It’s a song that is quite well remembered, at least in the UK.
    You are very welcome Ollie!

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I have never seen this before so thanks for posting. Not a bad song for the time if a little to pop for my own taste. It’s a song that is quite well remembered, at least in the UK.
    That's good to know. I think with more exposure (TV) in the states, the song could've gone top 20 pop and top 10 r&b. As it was, the song apparently was #1 in a few markets. That's usually a good sign to boost up the exposure.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I recall this commercial, but my memory must be playing tricks on me because i had remembered it to be the Supremes version. Age does that to you!
    It's fun to watch but i was never a massive fan of the song, or the Floy Joy album which i found to be bland and lightweight. Each to their own i guess.
    interesting viewpoint

    i like the FJ set - it's light but effervescent. i do wish it was more MJC and less Andantes

    While i love the Frank Wilson work, those are big productions. Lots going on. sometimes boardering on OVER produced. FJ is the opposite of that and i found it a refreshing change. Adore the cover too!! so hip and sexy and the white background & outfits versus their gorgeous skin tones and then pops of red.

    I think the overall FJ set would have been more successful had they really been able to promote it properly. With Cindy's departure, that cut into their ability to get on tv and promote it. Also they really didn't do anything to hype up the connection with Smokey. This lp could have worked marvelously with a thoughtful and structured promotional effort that tied in the lp with their shows and tv appearances. revamp the set and gowns to focus on the white and red themes, a medley of Smokey tunes, etc

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    interesting viewpoint

    i like the FJ set - it's light but effervescent. i do wish it was more MJC and less Andantes

    While i love the Frank Wilson work, those are big productions. Lots going on. sometimes boardering on OVER produced. FJ is the opposite of that and i found it a refreshing change. Adore the cover too!! so hip and sexy and the white background & outfits versus their gorgeous skin tones and then pops of red.

    I think the overall FJ set would have been more successful had they really been able to promote it properly. With Cindy's departure, that cut into their ability to get on tv and promote it. Also they really didn't do anything to hype up the connection with Smokey. This lp could have worked marvelously with a thoughtful and structured promotional effort that tied in the lp with their shows and tv appearances. revamp the set and gowns to focus on the white and red themes, a medley of Smokey tunes, etc
    I much preferred the cover to the actual content!

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    interesting viewpoint

    i like the FJ set - it's light but effervescent. i do wish it was more MJC and less Andantes

    While i love the Frank Wilson work, those are big productions. Lots going on. sometimes boardering on OVER produced. FJ is the opposite of that and i found it a refreshing change. Adore the cover too!! so hip and sexy and the white background & outfits versus their gorgeous skin tones and then pops of red.

    I think the overall FJ set would have been more successful had they really been able to promote it properly. With Cindy's departure, that cut into their ability to get on tv and promote it. Also they really didn't do anything to hype up the connection with Smokey. This lp could have worked marvelously with a thoughtful and structured promotional effort that tied in the lp with their shows and tv appearances. revamp the set and gowns to focus on the white and red themes, a medley of Smokey tunes, etc
    I agree that the Smokey connect should've been promoted more. The cover should've been the shot of Smokey with the group. I can't argue against calling the album Floy Joy, but it might have been more appropriate for promotional opportunities to title it Smokey Robinson Presents the Supremes, or Supremes Produced and Arranged By Smokey Robinson or some such title to play up the connection.

  28. #28
    I like Supremes Produced and Arranged By Smokey Robinson or something similar.

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i had heard that the song was used in a British laundry detergent commercial but i just assumed 1) they used the Supremes version and 2) it was produced during the time when the song was a hit. had never seen this 80s era commercial! lots of fun
    @sup_fan, it's very possible it might have had the Supremes' version in the original commercial. Sometimes the licensing for such usage runs out and the seller can't use the same soundtrack they were licensed to use originally, which may have been good for a year or two.

    This is also true of TV series. Many shows license popular music for their original broadcast but by the time they get to video, the license is no longer good and they have to add more generic background music.

    If you remember the "Wise Guy" series with Ken Wahl, which I loved back in the 80s, they had a story arc which climaxed with the lead villain being overcome to the strains of "Nights in White Satin" by the Moody Blues. Later the series when converted to DVD no longer could use the Moody Blues' music which was a source of controversy for the viewers who loved the show.

    So you might have heard Jean and the girls as you recall.

    I think "Automatically Sunshine" is a great song for such a purpose. Seems to fit perfectly. It's one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" moments!

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    @sup_fan, it's very possible it might have had the Supremes' version in the original commercial. Sometimes the licensing for such usage runs out and the seller can't use the same soundtrack they were licensed to use originally, which may have been good for a year or two.

    This is also true of TV series. Many shows license popular music for their original broadcast but by the time they get to video, the license is no longer good and they have to add more generic background music.

    If you remember the "Wise Guy" series with Ken Wahl, which I loved back in the 80s, they had a story arc which climaxed with the lead villain being overcome to the strains of "Nights in White Satin" by the Moody Blues. Later the series when converted to DVD no longer could use the Moody Blues' music which was a source of controversy for the viewers who loved the show.

    So you might have heard Jean and the girls as you recall.

    I think "Automatically Sunshine" is a great song for such a purpose. Seems to fit perfectly. It's one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" moments!
    "Wise Guy" was one of my favorite shows in the 80s especially when Ray Sharkey was part of the storyline.

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    "Wise Guy" was one of my favorite shows in the 80s especially when Ray Sharkey was part of the storyline.
    That was the story line I was referring to, but I couldn't remember the actor's name who played the villain.

    The story arc with Jerry Lewis as a garment industry exec was also excellent. There was also a story arc which included a role played by someone from Fleetwood Mac, as I recall...I think it must have been Lindsay Buckingham but I don't remember for sure.

    It really was a great show.

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    That was the story line I was referring to, but I couldn't remember the actor's name who played the villain.

    The story arc with Jerry Lewis as a garment industry exec was also excellent. There was also a story arc which included a role played by someone from Fleetwood Mac, as I recall...I think it must have been Lindsay Buckingham but I don't remember for sure.

    It really was a great show.
    No, you have a really good memory. I remember Lindsey Buckingham being on the show. I taped and saved many of the episodes that are now in storage. My other favorite 80s shows were "Crime Story" and "Miami Vice".

  33. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    @sup_fan, it's very possible it might have had the Supremes' version in the original commercial. Sometimes the licensing for such usage runs out and the seller can't use the same soundtrack they were licensed to use originally, which may have been good for a year or two.

    This is also true of TV series. Many shows license popular music for their original broadcast but by the time they get to video, the license is no longer good and they have to add more generic background music.

    If you remember the "Wise Guy" series with Ken Wahl, which I loved back in the 80s, they had a story arc which climaxed with the lead villain being overcome to the strains of "Nights in White Satin" by the Moody Blues. Later the series when converted to DVD no longer could use the Moody Blues' music which was a source of controversy for the viewers who loved the show.

    So you might have heard Jean and the girls as you recall.

    I think "Automatically Sunshine" is a great song for such a purpose. Seems to fit perfectly. It's one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" moments!
    I think it was the Supremes version used in the original commercial. I am convinced of it! I know i am getting old, but i clearly recall it being the Supremes

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    @sup_fan, it's very possible it might have had the Supremes' version in the original commercial. Sometimes the licensing for such usage runs out and the seller can't use the same soundtrack they were licensed to use originally, which may have been good for a year or two.

    This is also true of TV series. Many shows license popular music for their original broadcast but by the time they get to video, the license is no longer good and they have to add more generic background music.

    If you remember the "Wise Guy" series with Ken Wahl, which I loved back in the 80s, they had a story arc which climaxed with the lead villain being overcome to the strains of "Nights in White Satin" by the Moody Blues. Later the series when converted to DVD no longer could use the Moody Blues' music which was a source of controversy for the viewers who loved the show.
    Yeah and it sucks. I don't know why some of these folks have such a difficult time renegotiating for dvd. Blossom and Murphy Brown are just two of quite a few of the series I'd buy on dvd but can't (aside from their first season each) on account the music rights are an issue. Blossom utilized quite a bit of early 90s hit songs and of course Murphy Brown famously incorporated a lot of classic Motown and 60s soul music into the show. I believe I read In the Heat of the Night (another set I would purchase) also won't see a full release (there's a 24 episode dvd collection that I purchased some years back, I guess these were episodes that were cleared) due to music rights.

  35. #35
    Wished they had used the Supremes' version.

  36. #36
    Although I liked the entire Floy Joy LP from the release point, I considered the LP "lightweight fluff"....the subtleness of it has grown on me tremendously over the years and it is now in my top 5 Sup's Lps….I prefer the unedited versions of the title track and Sunshine from the Rare Classics/70's CD....all and all,...I think Touch and Floy Joy are better LPS than Right On and New Ways.....despite the 2 killer I still can't live without singles (Up The Ladder /Stoned Love)

  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    Although I liked the entire Floy Joy LP from the release point, I considered the LP "lightweight fluff"....the subtleness of it has grown on me tremendously over the years and it is now in my top 5 Sup's Lps….I prefer the unedited versions of the title track and Sunshine from the Rare Classics/70's CD....all and all,...I think Touch and Floy Joy are better LPS than Right On and New Ways.....despite the 2 killer I still can't live without singles (Up The Ladder /Stoned Love)
    Aside from GHARC, I believe Floy Joy was the first 70s Supremes album I bought. It's probably tied with Touch as my fav of the 70s Supremes. It's not an exciting album. It's mostly very laid back, but the singing is fantastic IMO. Jean shines throughout, and Mary's lead on "A Heart Like Mine" is gorgeous. She didn't have to do much in order to turn out what I feel is a beautiful reading of the lyrics. The cover art was really nice also. Very contemporary.
    Last edited by RanRan79; 03-18-2020 at 02:43 PM.

  38. #38
    I have never seen Automatically Sunshine promoted on US TV....Floy Joy and Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love were performed at least 2x with Lynda, and the earliest performance on David Frost I believe was prior to Cindy leaving.
    I like the non single tracks on the LP... Over and Over is one of my fav Terrell tracks, and Precious Little Things just gently perks along. Floy Joy and Touch (minus Time and Love) would have made another perfect pair early CD release Motown 2'fer

  39. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I have never seen Automatically Sunshine promoted on US TV....Floy Joy and Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love were performed at least 2x with Lynda, and the earliest performance on David Frost I believe was prior to Cindy leaving.
    I like the non single tracks on the LP... Over and Over is one of my fav Terrell tracks, and Precious Little Things just gently perks along. Floy Joy and Touch (minus Time and Love) would have made another perfect pair early CD release Motown 2'fer
    I think I once asked the forum about AS being performed on TV and was told they did it at least once, but I might be thinking about a UK performance. Can't remember.

    "Over And Over", "Precious Little Things", "Wisdom Of Time", "A Heart Like Mine" and "Automatically Sunshine" are the ones I play the most.

  40. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I have never seen Automatically Sunshine promoted on US TV....Floy Joy and Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love were performed at least 2x with Lynda, and the earliest performance on David Frost I believe was prior to Cindy leaving.
    I like the non single tracks on the LP... Over and Over is one of my fav Terrell tracks, and Precious Little Things just gently perks along. Floy Joy and Touch (minus Time and Love) would have made another perfect pair early CD release Motown 2'fer
    I know what you mean. For me "Now the Bitter, Now the Sweet" was a killer album track. It would never make a good Pop single, but it is one of those songs you listen to at home that you can really get into.

  41. #41
    You forgot they introduced Floy Joy (with Cindy) late January 1972 on Merv Griffin
    Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I have never seen Automatically Sunshine promoted on US TV....Floy Joy and Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love were performed at least 2x with Lynda, and the earliest performance on David Frost I believe was prior to Cindy leaving.
    I like the non single tracks on the LP... Over and Over is one of my fav Terrell tracks, and Precious Little Things just gently perks along. Floy Joy and Touch (minus Time and Love) would have made another perfect pair early CD release Motown 2'fer

  42. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    No, you have a really good memory. I remember Lindsey Buckingham being on the show. I taped and saved many of the episodes that are now in storage. My other favorite 80s shows were "Crime Story" and "Miami Vice".
    Marv I need to find your storage unit lol!

  43. #43
    This Advert got the song 're released in the UK and it made the charts ( in the top 100 around 67 I think) and Motown issued the compilation LP / CD. Love Supreme combining the best of the 60s and 70s groups hits which got the Supremes again back in the UK charts
    Any way that people get to hear the music is a good thing, it keeps the music alive in our minds

  44. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I agree. I remember back when it was released as a single by the Supremes. It was in the Spring of the year, which made sense, but it had it's greatest impact during the Fall into Winter. You know how long and dark the Winters get in Michigan LOL!
    Man Marv I used to leave Detroit in Feb or March and go somewhere warm in light of the shorter days. But this song reminds me of Detroit in the late Spring and Summer.

  45. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I agree. Might also add:

    "Up the Ladder" for commercials involving roofs.

    "Bad Weather" for products having to do with rain or snow.

    "Buttered Popcorn" for the obvious.

    "Stoned Love" for markets with legal weed advertisements.

    "Love Child" for one of the birth control medicine commercials.

    And of course "Let Yourself Go" for laxatives.
    Great ideas! This is such a fun thread. Still laughing abt your last example.

  46. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Reposting in case some have forgotten it.
    Thanks for posting, been a while since I have heard this. Marv was such a big fan of the ladies.

  47. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Thanks for posting, been a while since I have heard this. Marv was such a big fan of the ladies.
    I think you meant Merv!

  48. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I think you meant Merv!
    ... actually one hears that Merv wasn't such a big fan of the ladies ... (Don't need no Mapquest; WENT THERE!! )

  49. #49
    Automatically Sunshine had a light, contemporary feel with lyrics that were cute without being cutesy; sometimes Smokey tried too hard to be clever with his rhymes, and the results were cloying, but his restraint on this song (unlike, for instance, the lack of discipline he showed on Floy Joy, where he settled on simplistic, non-conversational, unnatural phrases that popped into his mind and distracted from the storyline) was admirable. Too, the back-and-forth lead vocals and the blend of voices in the go-for-it finale kept the song fresh and interesting from start to finish. And it was a great song to hear on the radio while driving, perhaps singing along, feeling optimistic and joyful.

    The album was 66.67% rewarding, but Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love, Floy Joy and Oh Be My Love were tiresome. The addition of Smokey's voice on the first, the lyrics that seemed nonsensical on the second and the drifting, free-form feel of the third were difficult to listen to more than once or twice. The other six songs presented a great mix of classic Motown, a pure, gentle sound and a modern, unexpected maturity that suggested the group could move forward, fitting in with and at times leading the newer performers in the new decade.

    Their Merv Griffin show interpretation of Where You Lead, on the other hand, pointed to the difficulties to come. Jean rushed through it, veering into and out of the actual melody, over and over again, and with all the racing about, she, Mary and Cindy didn't seem at all committed to the lyrics. The performance presaged the group's deranged, disengaged shows in the later years, when it was all fake smiles even during the sad or serious songs, frenetic dancing that had nothing to do with the point of the song and fighting duels where the last three members tried to be lead singers simultaneously, each going in a different direction at a different tempo in a different key sometimes, forgetting that the audience wanted sincere, compelling renditions of the story lines, not a lot of screeching noise and silly movement that meant nothing.

  50. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post
    Their Merv Griffin show interpretation of Where You Lead, on the other hand, pointed to the difficulties to come. Jean rushed through it, veering into and out of the actual melody, over and over again, and with all the racing about, she, Mary and Cindy didn't seem at all committed to the lyrics. The performance presaged the group's deranged, disengaged shows in the later years, when it was all fake smiles even during the sad or serious songs, frenetic dancing that had nothing to do with the point of the song and fighting duels where the last three members tried to be lead singers simultaneously, each going in a different direction at a different tempo in a different key sometimes, forgetting that the audience wanted sincere, compelling renditions of the story lines, not a lot of screeching noise and silly movement that meant nothing.
    this is a VERY valid point. I love Jean's singing - most of the time. my problem is that often she would sacrifice the melody of the song for vocal workouts and gymnastics. I think the worse example of this was her rendition of Stoned Love on the Live Japan lp. Stoned Love is so magical because there's such an amazing story being told through the lyric. it's almost the total opposite of a fluff song like FJ. the melody and words of SL are critical to it and so when she's going off on endless mumbles and ad libs, it's lost. You're already dealing with the huge disadvantage of not having all of the bells and whistles of a studio to bring the whole song together. her vocal just destroyed that live version for me

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.