[REMOVE ADS]

Temptations movie-the overlooked blooper!

Hey my temptaholics,of all the discussion down through the years about our favorite movie the one scene that nobody mentions is-when the group is having the party at melvin's house and paul is drunk,when everyone is leaving,there's no crowd waiting to mob them,think about the time period-1969 the temps are on top of the music world a party in their hood,and -no crowd???major blooper,next time you watch check it out-temptations forever!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Hey my temptaholics,of all the discussion down through the years about our favorite movie the one scene that nobody mentions is-when the group is having the party at melvin's house and paul is drunk,when everyone is leaving,there's no crowd waiting to mob them,think about the time period-1969 the temps are on top of the music world a party in their hood,and -no crowd???major blooper,next time you watch check it out-temptations forever!!
    Even though the movie was filmed in Pittsburgh, back in the day, in Detroit there would have been a lot of neighborhood people hanging around outside, etc. The film took too many liberties in my opinion. It is as about as accurate as Dreamgirls is about the Supremes!

There's also a scene when Otis gets off the bus with his processed hairstyles then goes to kiss Josephine then it's natural. Then it cuts to the scene performing THE GIRLS ALRIGHT WITH ME and back to processed.

In the scene where Melvin is shot and robbed [[in 1978) his car radio is playing "baby got back" which was released in 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulmusic4life View Post
    There's also a scene when Otis gets off the bus with his processed hairstyles then goes to kiss Josephine then it's natural. Then it cuts to the scene performing THE GIRLS ALRIGHT WITH ME and back to processed.
    Which is like strange as Hell LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by alexstassi View Post
    In the scene where Melvin is shot and robbed [[in 1978) his car radio is playing "baby got back" which was released in 1992.
    Good call!

The scene at St. Stephens Hall where the Primes are performing "Stay" with the Primettes never happened. The two groups never performed together at the same time in those days. Also, Barbara Martin who passed away earlier this month was completely left out of the scene, as was Kell Osborne the 3rd member of the Primes.

Hey Jai my man... I recall that scene and I don't think it's unusual that neighbors weren't waiting around their neighbors house at midnight as they were having a party unless they were invited... I lived on the same street as Smokey, used to hang out there with his nephew Clifford, as many Motown artists, etc used to stop by there on a regular basis and gather... We'd play basketball in Smokeys yard on the hoop the previous owners left up...Smokey was about my height so I had to guard him and vice versa.. His nephew Tyrone [[who was a roadie for Motown) was about 6'4, but couldn't play a lick LOL...If it was during the day, and we kids were hanging out or playing sports in the street and Marvin, Levi, or others came by, we would hang out and they would be friendly and reciprocate...I especially remember Marvin riding around on his little Honda motorbike he used to come around and show off to us kids...Marvin loved that bike...but we weren't hanging around there to catch a glimpse of the performers...Smokey's valet, a guy named Gaylord befriended me and he'd always be in the driveway washing Smokey's Cadillacs and I'd grab a rag and help him dry the cars off if were around...They were basically just neighbors and it would have been tacky to hang out to touch a singer that we all pretty much just knew... Now in New York and Hollywood where media created international superstars like John Lennon or Michael Jackson, etc...those fan gathering were media inspired gawking opportunities for people with nothing better to do... Motown folks in the 60's particularly, were just local people and our neighbors...
    Last edited by StuBass1; 03-18-2020 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Hey Jai my man... I recall that scene and I don't think it's unusual that neighbors weren't waiting around their neighbors house at midnight as they were having a party unless they were invited... I lived on the same street as Smokey, used to hang out there with his nephew Clifford, as many Motown artists, etc used to stop by there on a regular basis and gather... We'd play basketball in Smokeys yard on the hoop the previous owners left up...Smokey was about my height so I had to guard him and vice versa.. His nephew Tyrone [[who was a roadie for Motown) was about 6'4, but couldn't play a lick LOL...If it was during the day, and we kids were hanging out or playing sports in the street and Marvin, Levi, or others came by, we would hang out and they would be friendly and reciprocate...I especially remember Marvin riding around on his little Honda motorbike he used to come around and show off to us kids...Marvin loved that bike...but we weren't hanging around there to catch a glimpse of the performers...They were basically just neighbors and it would have been tacky to hang out to touch a singer that we all pretty much just knew... Now in New York and Hollywood where media created international superstars like John Lennon or Michael Jackson, etc...those fan gathering were media inspired gawking opportunities for people with nothing better to do... Motown folks in the 60's particularly, were just local people and our neighbors...
    In New York, no one cares if you are a star or celebrity unless you're handing out money! LOL! I've been in too many restaurants, stores and office buildings with them and no one around cares.

I never considered that before because that scene is so powerful thanks to Christian Payton's performance as Paul Williams. And as others have pointed out, people usually did not create "mob scenes" when Motown stars were having parties in their neighborhoods.
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 03-19-2020 at 05:59 AM.

Basically, the movie had quite a few holes in it. However, I must admit I enjoyed it for what it was.

Thanks stu,i was just thinking of how folks react when a famous artist is around,you knew those artist so it was just another day,otis commented in the book that once he and patti labelle got some fame it was hard for him to just[stop by]her house,because once word got out that one of the[temps]was there the crowds came.

Thanks stu,i was just thinking of how folks react when a famous artist is around,you knew those artist so it was just another day,otis commented in the book that once he and patti labelle got some fame it was hard for him to just[stop by]her house,because once word got out that one of the[temps]was there the crowds came.
    Back in 2007, I was traveling home to see my Dad who was very ill. I was on the moving walkway at Detroit Metro Airport and this big dude was in front of me. I noticed he was wearing a custom, brown leather bomber jacket that said "Dennis Edwards Revue" on it. I don't know why I did it, but I punch him in his back kinda hard to get his attention. He whipped around and said "Mannnnn......" LOL! Then we laughed it off and I told him why I was there and he told me he was on his way to a gig in Vegas.

Marv,you know everybody,hehe..1999-the corner,i see a little guy and before i can run he shouts-where my rent money??

Marv,you know everybody,hehe..1999-the corner,i see a little guy and before i can run he shouts-where my rent money??
    Not quite everyone, but I have met my share. The rent money? LOL!!!!

Fame was a little different back then. Many stars lived in the regular neighborhoods. Most weren't living necessary in gated communities or in mansions. That's why you hear fans from that era talk about how Tempts members might of been their neighbors, went to the same church with the, ate at the restaurants, et.. This is one of the reasons why David's funeral was so packed. Detroit didn't just lose a musical legend, they lost a member of the community.

Quote Originally Posted by Encyclopedia Mack View Post
    Fame was a little different back then. Many stars lived in the regular neighborhoods. Most weren't living necessary in gated communities or in mansions. That's why you hear fans from that era talk about how Tempts members might of been their neighbors, went to the same church with the, ate at the restaurants, et.. This is one of the reasons why David's funeral was so packed. Detroit didn't just lose a musical legend, they lost a member of the community.
    I went to David's funeral and you could barely breathe in there and I had a seat! It was so packed inside and on the streets outside. Same thing for Florence Ballard's funeral.

There are three scenes that occur right around the time the Tempts record "The Way You Do The Things You Do". First scene, Otis has his mustache, second scene when he and the Tempts enter the studio to record the song, he's shaved, next scene, his mustache is back.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    There are three scenes that occur right around the time the Tempts record "The Way You Do The Things You Do". First scene, Otis has his mustache, second scene when he and the Tempts enter the studio to record the song, he's shaved, next scene, his mustache is back.
    It was sloppy,but some people think Suzanne DePasse is a genius. I really hated that kids and younger people took what was portrayed in this movie as the gospel truth. Some now even refer to the actors by the names of the actual Temptations. Same thing in a way with Dreamgirls. Years ago a kid asked me "so when did Effie die"" Geez.......

The funny thing, Marv, is Suzanne has never been a favorite of mine, but I let her slide on the movie. Maybe because I was just amused at some of the holes I noticed and simply enjoyed the movie for whatever historical content it offered.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    The funny thing, Marv, is Suzanne has never been a favorite of mine, but I let her slide on the movie. Maybe because I was just amused at some of the holes I noticed and simply enjoyed the movie for whatever historical content it offered.
    Ralph, did you notice that none of the outside scenes, the houses etc looked like Detroit? LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Don't get me completely wrong. I'm happy that someone documented the story of the Temptations. I wished more films were made about famous and historical figures from Detroit.

Yeah Marv, the first thing I noticed that was a little off was the houses. Detroit houses have a unique look.

Funny thing about ms dupasse,she did an excellent job on the western[lonesome dove]both versions,too bad she didn't put the same effort into the temps story.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    don't get me completely wrong. I'm happy that someone documented the story of the temptations. I wished more films were made about famous and historical figures from detroit.
    me too marv.

I'm with Ralph on this one...Despite the story being told by Otis to represent events making him look most favorable and some issues that have been disputed by those around, most notably Norman Whitfield who said the part about him was filled with a lot of bullshit, it was a good overview of the formation of the group, some of the players involved, how Motown operated [[to a certain extent) and the many changes that happened with the group over time...Certainly lots of artistic license, but having been personally around much of that story at various times and witnessing some events firsthand...it gave a good general overview, focused in on some of the various personalities, and fairly accurately reflected the times and evolution of the group...

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It was sloppy,but some people think Suzanne DePasse is a genius. I really hated that kids and younger people took what was portrayed in this movie as the gospel truth. Some now even refer to the actors by the names of the actual Temptations. Same thing in a way with Dreamgirls. Years ago a kid asked me "so when did Effie die"" Geez.......
    Kids are very impressionable. For a year, I thought the Five Heartbeats were an actual group lmao [[or that it was a biopic on the Dells and it wasn't even close to being one)

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,may i say something here,my temptaholics,for all the laughing and bashing down through the years i do like the flick overall,now this is a new question-what's your favorite scene? For me it's when they sing-the girl's alright with me.

I'm still a little perturbed they shot that movie in PITTSBURGH. If I recall, they also shot the Jacksons movie there [[rather than in Gary, IN where the Jacksons are from). Apparently the reason the films were filmed in Pittsburgh was due to the "violent climate" of the neighborhoods. BULLSCHNITT!

I remembered a thread at another Motown forum going through all the bloopers concerning the film.

*How Otis & Melvin met for one [[Otis himself described that Melvin ran for his life from him 'cause Melvin erroneously thought Otis was a gang member since he wore a leather jacket but the Otis in the film looked like a preppy school boy).

*Elbridge "Al" Bryant being a lead singer of Otis' Distants [[Richard Street deserved better).

*The "two" Primes and "three" Primettes performing when they never performed together and it was three Primes and four Primettes [[in this case, 1959-60, it would've been Betty McGlown).

*Milton Jenkins is nowhere to be found.

*How the Primes and Distants hated each other [[LOL).

*How the fight between Paul and Al led to Al getting fired and replaced by David.

*How did they have Dennis joining with Eddie & David in 1980 BEFORE the 1982 reunion when that's not how it occurred at all [[LMAO) when it was MUCH later after the 1989 HOF induction.

I can go on and on. Still a good film though. And I still love how Leon ad-libbed the "no one came to see you Otis" line! LMFAO

The fam and I will be having movie night tomorrow, watching The Temptations Movie. Yes, we're following CDC guidelines, with no more than 10 family members present for our monthly gathering, making sure we're seated far apart. After viewing this thread, I think we are going to make a game of it and look for some of the bloopers you guys have mentioned.

TFS All

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,may i say something here,my temptaholics,for all the laughing and bashing down through the years i do like the flick overall,now this is a new question-what's your favorite scene? For me it's when they sing-the girl's alright with me.
    My favorite scene? There are actually a lot of good scenes in there:

*When they change their name to the Temptations, perform for Berry and sign with Motown.
    *Their first impromptu performance with David at the Roostertail [[I think) during New Year's 1964.
    *When David first joins them at that dinner scene with Mama Rose Franklin.
    *Smokey rehearsing "My Girl" to David.
    *When David begins crying after the group becomes a success [[following them returning to a Motortown Revue show in the South where the color line is broken).
    *Them performing "My Girl" on TV and to see the reactions on everyone's faces from former managers [[Johnnie Mae) to former group members [[a despondent Al at a bar) to their families enjoying them on TV minus Otis' wife Josephine who had just caught Otis with Florence Ballard [[oops).
    *When they come out of their cars - and David comes out with his limo [[LMAO)
    *The infamous "ain't nobody come to see you Otis" scene.
    *David Ruffin cussing the other Tempts out after he learns that they fired him [["you ungrateful sons of B's!")
    *Paul Williams' tragic performance while drunk at Melvin's house.
    *Lamont confronting Otis about him being absent.
    *Paul reuniting with the Tempts to record "Just My Imagination" only for Paul to be replaced onstage by Richard Street and an upset Eddie Kendricks bolting out during a show at the Copacabana [[though we know, from Otis, that Eddie simply left in a huff after Otis refused to answer his door fearing a fight).
    *The entire "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone" scene [[the showdown with Norman, Eddie enjoying his solo career, David enjoying the good life, Paul's final downward spiral that leads to his suicide).
    *Otis' final conversation with his mother [[regardless of how we feel about Otis, if that scene didn't make you tear up, I don't know what will)
    *Melvin learning how to move and dance again after he got shot while "I Wish It Would Rain" played and Otis' reaction to it [[when Melvin got to do the Tempt dance, I actually cried, I was like "GO BLUE!").
    *The reunited Temptations at the L.A. rehearsal hall where David shows up before they do lol
    *The performance of "Beauty Is Only Skin Deep".
    *The HOF scene where Eddie hugs Otis and then grabs a second induction award "for Paul".
    *That scene where a wheelchair-bound Melvin enters the kitchen to get more food and then dies [[but we know that was more symbolic than actual reality since Melvin died in a Los Angeles hospital).
    *Melvin's funeral with Smokey singing "Really Gonna Miss You".
    *The final performance of the classic lineup of The Temptations singing "My Girl".

If I have to break down my best one, it's the final one. No doubt.

Arr&Bee, it's hard to choose one scene, the screenwriter did a pretty good job adapting Otis' autobiography into a movie. The Girl's Alright With Me is one of my favorite Temptations song and one of my favorite scene's in the movie, too.

Another favorite scene in The Temptations Movie/Mini Series was the reunion tour. Leon and the other actors were actually singing, "Beauty Is Only Skin Deep".

I also like the scene when Leon [[David Ruffin) and Terron Brooks [[Eddie Kendricks) actually sang "You're My Everything".

I think the scene when they auditioned at Hitsville.

Quote Originally Posted by MusicWise View Post
    Another favorite scene in The Temptations Movie/Mini Series was the reunion tour. Leon and the other actors were actually singing, "Beauty Is Only Skin Deep".

Leon did a fine Ruff vocal impersonation there. You would've thought that was Ruff singing it.

As far as the fight scene between Paul and Al, from a technical perspective, it was the right call. Since Al was [[at least depicted as having been) a Debbie downer, it wouldn’t have been believed that HE was the one that wanted to go back for an encore. Even then, that WASN’T the moment Al got the boot. It was a lackadaisical performance at the Motown Christmas show that broke the camels back.

Also, Otis’s son died after the reunion tour, and he was informed by their road manager [[who didn’t beat around the bush like Melvin did in the movie) during a group rehearsal, not in his hotel room. [[Ali-Ollie Woodson was present too) On a side note, his Mother died in 1970, so that moving scene of them on the porch wouldn’t have taken place in the late 70s.
    Last edited by jboy88; 03-22-2020 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Leon did a fine Ruff vocal impersonation there. You would've thought that was Ruff singing it.
    Leon likes to really get into his characters. You're 100% right, he did a mighty fine impersonation of Ruff!

The fam and I will be having movie night tomorrow, watching The Temptations Movie. Yes, we're following CDC guidelines, with no more than 10 family members present for our monthly gathering, making sure we're seated far apart. After viewing this thread, I think we are going to make a game of it and look for some of the bloopers you guys have mentioned.

TFS All
    There are enough inaccuracies in this film for die-hard Tempt fans to make a drinking game out of. Midnight man, once did a long post of all the mistakes and he only list half of them.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    There are enough inaccuracies in this film for die-hard Tempt fans to make a drinking game out of. Midnight man, once did a long post of all the mistakes and he only list half of them.
    I kinda remember Midnightman's list, I'ma do a SD search to find it. TFS Jboy.

Indeed leon did a great job as ruffin,remember he was nominated for an emmy.

He did a bang-up job as Little Richard too.

Arr&Bee, it's hard to choose one scene, the screenwriter did a pretty good job adapting Otis' autobiography into a movie. The Girl's Alright With Me is one of my favorite Temptations song and one of my favorite scene's in the movie, too.

Ditto. Luv luv luv that performance!

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Ditto. Luv luv luv that performance!
    Especially the slow turn intro. Magical! And the side step/back move too. We should give their props for the superb dance choreography. Made Otis right proud!

If i may mention another little gaff,at the start of the film,young otis and al go to the barber shop to get thier[doo's]the song on the radio is[bad girl]the scene is from[1958]-bad girl came out in[59]!!

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    As far as the fight scene between Paul and Al, from a technical perspective, it was the right call. Since Al was [[at least depicted as having been) a Debbie downer, it wouldn’t have been believed that HE was the one that wanted to go back for an encore. Even then, that WASN’T the moment Al got the boot. It was a lackadaisical performance at the Motown Christmas show that broke the camels back.

Also, Otis’s son died after the reunion tour, and he was informed by their road manager [[who didn’t beat around the bush like Melvin did in the movie) during a group rehearsal, not in his hotel room. [[Ali-Ollie Woodson was present too) On a side note, his Mother died in 1970, so that moving scene of them on the porch wouldn’t have taken place in the late 70s.
    Oh wow. I didn't know THAT.