[REMOVE ADS]

Martha Reeves: Facsimili

This record has so many great sounding elements to it. Stevie Wonder, Aretha, Jr. Walker...........and all Martha Reeves! I missed this one. What year is it from?

I know this is one of her 70s cuts.

It was on her solo debut, the 1974 album produced by Richard Perry.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    It was on her solo debut, the 1974 album produced by Richard Perry.
    Right, a lovely lp 'twas, as well!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Right, a lovely lp 'twas, as well!
    It is such a great album. One of the great mysteries is why it wasn't more popular. Richard Perry was a great producer who was also responsible for Diana Ross' "Baby It's Me" LP and many other fine albums.

the first single released "Power of Love" had already recently been a hit by Joe Simon. I think if "Wild Night" had been the first 45 it would have garnered better attention.

Oh how I love that album. To me Martha never soundedbetter. Not a bad cut on it. Martha’s take on Got To Use My Imagination & ManyRivers To Cross are truly definitive for me. But many other superb tracks:Facsimile, Sweet Misery, Storm In My soul, a cool, swinging Ain’t That Peculiarin fact everything on it a gem. As a young student in Liverpool at the timeWild Night was played LOUD in our flat before going out Saturday evening. A real crime thisalbum wasn’t massive. Thanks luckyluckyme for a fabulous reminder.

@BritishTony, Yes I remember that was the album I also played before going out for the evening. "Wild Night" especially was a great cut and I too wish it had been the first single. I think Richard Perry had a good sensibility with R&B singers, in knowing which material they could cover so well. I think "Wild Night" was a Van Morrison song, and the album contained some other examples of unusual choices [[or so one might think) for a singer like Reeves to record at the time.