[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Re-Issues, Compilations, Boxed Sets, etc....Can we Keep Them Coming?

I don't know if this thread will catch on or sustain itself but I thought it was worth a try. I guess I am inspired by the exciting Dionne Warwick boxed set, not to mention others released recently by Donna Summer and Sister Sledge, and of course all those 3 CD "Gold" sets that have been released [[I personally have Shalamar and Kiki Dee, and will probably soon buy the Gene Pitney.)

Anyway, my idea if it works is to use this thread to share any and all news items that anyone has about upcoming projects [[such as the Four Seasons' set being discussed on the Motown thread) so that we all will know as much as possible about new items that may be forthcoming.

Also perhaps we can share thoughts about what we would like to see released and who knows, maybe some bigwigs out there will read this thread and follow through with something they might not otherwise have been planning just because they read about it on here!

Maybe this thread will die early but hopefully there will be enough interest to keep it going for awhile. For starters, here are some projects that I would love to see someone tackle, in no particular order, just as they roll out of my mind and onto the keyboard:

1) A "Complete Malaco Years" set by Denise LaSalle. Maybe something similar to the Dionne set, since she released about 10 or 12 albums for the label and of course there simply HAS to be unreleased material in their vaults.

2) All four Hodges, James and Smith albums to be released on CD, whether it be individually or as a package deal.

3) CD issues of the Motown albums by Diahann Carroll and Leslie Uggams.

4) A Motown anthology or complete collection by Tata Vega.

5) An Edwin Starr anthology. [[I don't think I missed one, did I?)

6) A complete Laura Branigan re-issue project. I was always surprised that she never received that five CD "Original Album Series" treatment that was so popular a decade or so ago. Bette Midler got one, Linda Ronstadt got one, Sheena Easton got one, just to name a few. Heck some artists even got TWO separate collections released! So Laura, who died much too young by the way, was certainly worthy.

OK, enough out of me. Take it away if interested!!!

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    I don't know if this thread will catch on or sustain itself but I thought it was worth a try. I guess I am inspired by the exciting Dionne Warwick boxed set, not to mention others released recently by Donna Summer and Sister Sledge, and of course all those 3 CD "Gold" sets that have been released [[I personally have Shalamar and Kiki Dee, and will probably soon buy the Gene Pitney.)

Anyway, my idea if it works is to use this thread to share any and all news items that anyone has about upcoming projects [[such as the Four Seasons' set being discussed on the Motown thread) so that we all will know as much as possible about new items that may be forthcoming.

Also perhaps we can share thoughts about what we would like to see released and who knows, maybe some bigwigs out there will read this thread and follow through with something they might not otherwise have been planning just because they read about it on here!

Maybe this thread will die early but hopefully there will be enough interest to keep it going for awhile. For starters, here are some projects that I would love to see someone tackle, in no particular order, just as they roll out of my mind and onto the keyboard:

1) A "Complete Malaco Years" set by Denise LaSalle. Maybe something similar to the Dionne set, since she released about 10 or 12 albums for the label and of course there simply HAS to be unreleased material in their vaults.

2) All four Hodges, James and Smith albums to be released on CD, whether it be individually or as a package deal.

3) CD issues of the Motown albums by Diahann Carroll and Leslie Uggams.

4) A Motown anthology or complete collection by Tata Vega.

5) An Edwin Starr anthology. [[I don't think I missed one, did I?)

6) A complete Laura Branigan re-issue project. I was always surprised that she never received that five CD "Original Album Series" treatment that was so popular a decade or so ago. Bette Midler got one, Linda Ronstadt got one, Sheena Easton got one, just to name a few. Heck some artists even got TWO separate collections released! So Laura, who died much too young by the way, was certainly worthy.

OK, enough out of me. Take it away if interested!!!
    A few 60's artists boxsets are in the planning stages. I am also told that the Gold series has a few more titles in the offing.
    Some great suggestions by the way.

I would like to see a box set of all of Jermaine Jackson's Motown LPs on CD.

Good question; I'd like to see a Shorty Long collection [[with everything he did on Motown & Tri-Phi/Anna). Also, an extensive Edwin Starr collection is Long Overdue.

I'm a Brunswick fan so complete lp boxes of the Chi-Lites, Barbara Acklin, Walter Jackson, Tyrone Davis, etc. would be great [[along with rarities which may exist).

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I'm a Brunswick fan so complete lp boxes of the Chi-Lites, Barbara Acklin, Walter Jackson, Tyrone Davis, etc. would be great [[along with rarities which may exist).
    Most, if not all of the Chi-Lites Brunswick catalogue was reissued on a pair of double cd's maybe 10/12 years ago. Eight albums across four cd's as i recall, and very good they were too.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    I would like to see a box set of all of Jermaine Jackson's Motown LPs on CD.
    Yes!! ........

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Most, if not all of the Chi-Lites Brunswick catalogue was reissued on a pair of double cd's maybe 10/12 years ago. Eight albums across four cd's as i recall, and very good they were too.
    Indeed they were, and out of print in a heartbeat and overpriced on resale sites!

I would like a comprehensive collection of all of Vanity's recorded output -- all Vanity 6, all Motown and all unreleased tracks.

Indeed they were, and out of print in a heartbeat and overpriced on resale sites!
    I bought them at the time thankfully. I didn't realise they went out of print so quickly.

I bought them at the time thankfully. I didn't realise they went out of print so quickly.
    I think these were from a British label [[maybe Edsel?), affordable at the time, but I was injudicious at the time ... I regret it now!

I'm voting for a CD set of the Detroit era albums by The Originals! Some have never been released outside of vinyl.

I think these were from a British label [[maybe Edsel?), affordable at the time, but I was injudicious at the time ... I regret it now!
    It was Edsel, and they were very reasonably priced as i recall.
    I have been caught out in the past by delaying purchasing items and then finding them to be out of print very quickly. I learned my lesson as i am sure you have too!

Quote Originally Posted by drewschultz88 View Post
    I'm voting for a CD set of the Detroit era albums by The Originals! Some have never been released outside of vinyl.
    That will hopefully happen. Watch this space.

Those are the ones! I must dig them out and give them a spin.

YES! These are the sets I remember, and regret to have passed on ...

Interesting; I had not come across this set before. There are affordable copies on eBay, but I'll pass until the pandemic-panic passes I'm sure be be out of a part-time summer job and who knows what else may happen with the economy here in the USA?

Quote Originally Posted by drewschultz88 View Post
    I was just coming here to post this

Keep up the good work guys!! The more information we can share the better informed we can all stay. And of course it is a great idea to keep one another informed on the releases that are already out there [[as you just did with the Chi-Lites) in addition to forthcoming ones.

Has there ever been a box set of The Pointer Sisters? I'd like to see one with the music from the quartet and trio

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Has there ever been a box set of The Pointer Sisters? I'd like to see one with the music from the quartet and trio
    Not to my knowledge. But there was a very nice 2-disc RCA collection that collected material from the Atlantic, Blue Thumb, Planet, and RCA days.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Not to my knowledge. But there was a very nice 2-disc RCA collection that collected material from the Atlantic, Blue Thumb, Planet, and RCA days.
    I would love to find that. Thanks for responding.

I have several Pointers collections, some of which have as many as three CDs. I don't think there are any that have four or more, but they have been anthologized better than a lot of artists.

But there was a very nice 2-disc RCA collection that collected material from the Atlantic, Blue Thumb, Planet, and RCA days.
    This one?
    Name:  R-428945-1234719842.jpeg.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  69.6 KB
    Name:  R-428945-1215945570.jpeg.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  43.8 KB

There was a 3cd collection released in Australia back in the 90's which i think was just their Planet material. There was also a good Hall and Oates collection. I bought them both whilst living there. I had never seen them before, or since for that matter.

But there was a very nice 2-disc RCA collection that collected material from the Atlantic, Blue Thumb, Planet, and RCA days.
    This one?
    Name:  R-428945-1234719842.jpeg.jpg
Views: 947
Size:  69.6 KB
    Name:  R-428945-1215945570.jpeg.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  43.8 KB
    No. The one I'm referring to is THE VERY BEST OF THE POINTER SISTERS: FIRE" released on RCA in 1996. It spans from "Don't Try to Take the Fifth" [[1972) to "He Turned Me Out" [[1987).

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    A box of the Blue Thumb lps would be nice -

The one I'm referring to is THE VERY BEST OF THE POINTER SISTERS: FIRE" released on RCA in 1996.
    That collection loses points for featuring a 3 minute version of "Yes We Can" when even the single version runs longer [[3:55).

Great wish lists everyone.
    I have two big requests off the top of my head whose desired contents are all owned by Sony Records and seemingly very doable.
    1-Lou Rawls: 2-3 disc set of his best Philadelphia International, Epic, and Gamble & Huff label studio recordings. [[Please, NO live recordings of Lou’s earlier Capitol material thrown in).
    2-Jones Girls: 2-3 disc set of their best Philadelphia International and RCA label tracks, plus highlights from Shirley Jones’ stellar Philadelphia International solo album.
    My favorite period [[mid 70s To mid 80s) of these two Philly music favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBagley View Post
    Great wish lists everyone.
    I have two big requests off the top of my head whose desired contents are all owned by Sony Records and seemingly very doable.
    1-Lou Rawls: 2-3 disc set of his best Philadelphia International, Epic, and Gamble & Huff label studio recordings. [[Please, NO live recordings of Lou’s earlier Capitol material thrown in).
    2-Jones Girls: 2-3 disc set of their best Philadelphia International and RCA label tracks, plus highlights from Shirley Jones’ stellar Philadelphia International solo album.
    My favorite period [[mid 70s To mid 80s) of these two Philly music favorites.
    Lou Rawls is a possibility as is Teddy Pendergrass.

Lou Rawls: Repertoire Records did a nice LR collection in 1994 that I own:
    https://www.discogs.com/Lou-Rawls-Th.../master/565209

Name:  R-4645203-1370913013-5371.jpeg.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  79.1 KB

The Jones Girls have some twofers out there but you are right..it would be nice to see them all assembled in one nice comprehensive package. That CD they did with Jean Carne was nice also.

I would like to see some boxed sets from the following:

Love Unlimited;

Creative Source;

Friends of Distinction;

The Four Tops [[ABC/Dunhill albums).

They announced a Love Unlimited box set [[two years ago?), but it never happened. ☹️

A single or two disc set of the David Ebo-led Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes. They recorded four albums for ABC/MCA.

They announced a Love Unlimited box set [[two years ago?), but it never happened. ☹️
    There was a fairly big Barry White collection, wasn't there? I know not the same thing but if that went over well, then I guess there could be hope.

Rufus featuring Chaka Khan - two disc retrospective. There were legal issues amongst group members 25 years ago that prevented their recordings from being repackaged/anthologized. Flash forward to 2020 and the measly 10-track very best of Rufus from the early ‘80s is still the only collection on the group.

Chaka Khan - 2-3 disc set of her Warner Brothers years. The lame single disc best of Warner Brothers/Rhino put out in the ‘90s didn’t even have Clouds or Got To Be There. The 2011 two disc set by UK’s Demon Music Group did better, but had several key omissions [[the hit Baby Me, light jazz radio favorite I Want, the gorgeously sparse Love Me Still and Superman 3 soundtrack standout No See, No Cry, among many others).
    With Rufus or solo, Chaka has been treated as poorly by record company compilers as she has by the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

Well at least she made it on to The Masked Singer for what that is worth.

Well at least she made it on to The Masked Singer for what that is worth.
    I lummie my Chaka [[with and without Rufus) so don't take this the wrong way ... but Sarah 'Right wingin' bitter clingin' was on TMS as well! A paying gig but not a career high for anybody.

Lou Rawls is a possibility as is Teddy Pendergrass.
    I'll agree with multi's of Lou Rawls, always so under-rated and remembered. Lots-o harf-arssed comps out there ...

I lummie my Chaka [[with and without Rufus) so don't take this the wrong way ... but Sarah 'Right wingin' bitter clingin' was on TMS as well! A paying gig but not a career high for anybody.
    I understand that TMS is catching some flak for some of the people that are coming on there and being eliminated quickly, such as Chaka, Gladys, Dionne and Patti. Some of their fans are taking these early cuts as a sign of disrespect.

Well it only stands to reason that if the voters are younger folks, they are not going to have the respect that we do for these older artists, and the four I just mentioned were all quite distinctive and recognizable. But I think we should also consider the possibility that they did it just for the fun of it but that it was probably physically taxing and therefore they might not have WANTED it to be a long-term thing.

The other side of that coin is that some of the younger people are ones that old geezers like me have never even heard of. For example, who in the world was that dame that they unmasked last night? The name has already escaped me. So we perhaps need some middle ground in their choices.

As for Sarah, I cannot even speculate what was behind that, other than complete and total surprise, and they certainly succeeded in that regard!

I understand that TMS is catching some flak for some of the people that are coming on there and being eliminated quickly, such as Chaka, Gladys, Dionne and Patti. Some of their fans are taking these early cuts as a sign of disrespect.

Well it only stands to reason that if the voters are younger folks, they are not going to have the respect that we do for these older artists, and the four I just mentioned were all quite distinctive and recognizable. But I think we should also consider the possibility that they did it just for the fun of it but that it was probably physically taxing and therefore they might not have WANTED it to be a long-term thing.

The other side of that coin is that some of the younger people are ones that old geezers like me have never even heard of. For example, who in the world was that dame that they unmasked last night? The name has already escaped me. So we perhaps need some middle ground in their choices.

As for Sarah, I cannot even speculate what was behind that, other than complete and total surprise, and they certainly succeeded in that regard!
    Gladys actually did quite well, making it to the final three in her season. That said, I was a bit disappointed when I first figured out it was her on the show. I felt it was sort of a low and feared she would lose to the likes of LaToya Jackson or Tori Spelling. But as the weeks went on, I began to enjoy it and I think most of her performances were great.

By comparison, although I recognized Dionne, Patti, and Chaka immediately, I found their performances good but sort of boring when compared to some of the more exciting contestants. But I still feel a bit of a twinge when I think that Tom Bergeron outlasted Dionne Warwick?

Like you, I had no idea who was unmasked last night. Bella Throne, I think they said. When they removed the headpiece, I was like "Who is that?"

I had forgotten that Gladys lasted deep into the competition. Thanks for that correction. With her boundless energy, that was no surprise!

Rufus featuring Chaka Khan - two disc retrospective. There were legal issues amongst group members 25 years ago that prevented their recordings from being repackaged/anthologized. Flash forward to 2020 and the measly 10-track very best of Rufus from the early ‘80s is still the only collection on the group.

Chaka Khan - 2-3 disc set of her Warner Brothers years. The lame single disc best of Warner Brothers/Rhino put out in the ‘90s didn’t even have Clouds or Got To Be There. The 2011 two disc set by UK’s Demon Music Group did better, but had several key omissions [[the hit Baby Me, light jazz radio favorite I Want, the gorgeously sparse Love Me Still and Superman 3 soundtrack standout No See, No Cry, among many others).
    With Rufus or solo, Chaka has been treated as poorly by record company compilers as she has by the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.
    There was a good single disc compilation on Rufus/Chaka way back in the 90's that had more than 10 tracks. I still have it somewhere, and there was a 6 disc collection from spectrum in 2014 featuring Rufus, Rags to Rufus, Rufusized, Rufus featuring Chaka Khan, Ask Rufus and Street Player. Sadly no bonus material.

Name:  SSdoa.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  39.1 KB
    And this one for Chaka but not sure if it was digital only.

There was a five disc set of Chaka in the Original Album Series a few years back. No booklet and they were a bit quiet mastering wise. Not bad for ten quid but I agree she's worthy of proper treatment.
    I'd like to see some of the Ritchie Family available, especially the early stuff on Marlin. And if we're talking complete pie in the sky? All the singles and 12s from the Prelude and West End labels. 😂😂

Loleatta Holloway has some unique 7" mixes that have never been gathered together on a Loleatta CD. Verse put out one of two digital singles a few years back [[without paying proper attention to the correct mix edits). BMG currently control the Salsoul catalogue. They could beef up a release with some bonus 12" mixes, such as the 5:39 mix of "Seconds" by Shep Pettibone, which is a distinct mix from the one commonly found on CD [[that runs about 9 minutes). If they could gather her one off singles for Streetwise [["Crash Goes Love" b/w "Sweet Thing") and DJ International [["So Sweet"), that would also set a new release apart from what's already out there. There's also a Tom Moulton produced cover of "I Will Survive" in the vaults, which would certainly be of interest if only as a curio.

Natalie Cole: two disc set covering her 1975-1989 stints with Capitol, Modern, and EMI/Manhattan. A nice bonus track to end things would be the Unforgettable duet with Nat King Cole from 1991.