[REMOVE ADS]

Ann Peebles - I can't stand the Rain - 1974

Here's a forgotten classic:

A great song in Ann Peebles' typically understated style, more like Stax rather than the Motown sound. It's one of those songs I remember hearing for the first time, because I was driving home on one of those really dark, rainy and wet Detroit nights and it came on the radio [[probably CKLW!).

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    A great song in Ann Peebles' typically understated style, more like Stax rather than the Motown sound. It's one of those songs I remember hearing for the first time, because I was driving home on one of those really dark, rainy and wet Detroit nights and it came on the radio [[probably CKLW!).
    Yes Stax or classic Hi Records w/ Willie Mitchell at the helm .[[ you can almost imagine Al Green looking on in the corner clapping his hands along to it. lol!)

This was an interesting video, had never seen Ann performing this before. Thanks marv.
    Eruption did it later, didn't realize it was actually more successful [[#18 Hot 100) than Peebles own version [[#38) .

What in the heck kind of audience was Ann performing in front of? Most of them looked to be 13 or younger and there were costumes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    What in the heck kind of audience was Ann performing in front of? Most of them looked to be 13 or younger and there were costumes, etc.
    I have no idea. While I was mesmerized by Ann, I couldn't help but laugh when that dog costume, or whatever it was, appeared. What the heck indeed!

I think this was a German TV program. I had a video when Mary Wilson performed on one of them back in the late 70s and after her performance, a big dancing bear came out and danced around with her onstage. LOL!!!

I don't get all the concern about the audience...Ann like most artists who hit and gained
    popularity at some point probably performed in front of a variety of audiences in different venues. Remember all the acts that popped up on Sesame Street. That was a children's
    television show taped in New York for those who for whatever reason don't know. Anyway,
    this might have been the only clear clean footage he could find to post of the song. I've
    watched hundreds of things online where a had a least one peeve with the footage but
    I'm always happy when anything interesting and rare, especially as it relates to classic
    material, shows up. Ann's fiery little tune became a standard. And I loved Cassandra
    Wilson's blues guitar drenched cover...

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I think this was a German TV program. I had a video when Mary Wilson performed on one of them back in the late 70s and after her performance, a big dancing bear came out and danced around with her onstage. LOL!!!
    That sounds hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I don't get all the concern about the audience...Ann like most artists who hit and gained
    popularity at some point probably performed in front of a variety of audiences in different venues. Remember all the acts that popped up on Sesame Street. That was a children's
    television show taped in New York for those who for whatever reason don't know. Anyway,
    this might have been the only clear clean footage he could find to post of the song. I've
    watched hundreds of things online where a had a least one peeve with the footage but
    I'm always happy when anything interesting and rare, especially as it relates to classic
    material, shows up. Ann's fiery little tune became a standard. And I loved Cassandra
    Wilson's blues guitar drenched cover...
    This aint Sesame Street. I don't think anyone is peeved with the footage. This is one of the best things I've seen in quite awhile, 70s performances that is. But it is a weird set up. Kids wearing capes, Showbiz Pizza rejects...not to mention the audience doesn't particularly appear to be the "I Can't Stand the Rain" type.

I figured it was probably a foreign audience and those audiences are typically known for being very reserved as well as pretty interested in soul music. So the other kick I got out of watching the video is trying to figure out if the audience is indifferent to Ann, or just very reserved and most of them were thinking "This my jam!!"

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    This aint Sesame Street. I don't think anyone is peeved with the footage. This is one of the best things I've seen in quite awhile, 70s performances that is. But it is a weird set up
    I never said it was. Just making a point about what acts did to stay both
    relevant and current. Part of the business, like singing the same songs over
    and over again, night after night long after you yourself have grown tired of
    them...Anyway, a favorite of mine regarding old footage of The Flirtations
    covering a Marvin Gaye song and it was nice to see someone other than
    Viola Billups getting the lead. Shirley Pearce I think....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdy-_1NFTfg

I did not mean to offend anyone with my question but it was just quite obvious that was not the type audience you would expect to find a 70s soul performer entertaining. But it was wonderful to see any clip of Ann. She was definitely a fave and I hope she is doing well these days.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    This aint Sesame Street. I don't think anyone is peeved with the footage. This is one of the best things I've seen in quite awhile, 70s performances that is. But it is a weird set up. Kids wearing capes, Showbiz Pizza rejects...not to mention the audience doesn't particularly appear to be the "I Can't Stand the Rain" type.

I figured it was probably a foreign audience and those audiences are typically known for being very reserved as well as pretty interested in soul music. So the other kick I got out of watching the video is trying to figure out if the audience is indifferent to Ann, or just very reserved and most of them were thinking "This my jam!!"
    They were just being respectful and reserved. You can tell by the applause after she was finished. I saw another clip from 1977, French TV with Grace Jones performing "La Vie En Rose". The audience were on both sides of this runway type stage that Grace was on. They sat motionless and very quiet until she was done and then erupted in applause. You can see this in some performances from "The Midnight Special"

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I never said it was. Just making a point about what acts did to stay both
    relevant and current. Part of the business, like singing the same songs over
    and over again, night after night long after you yourself have grown tired of
    them...Anyway, a favorite of mine regarding old footage of The Flirtations
    covering a Marvin Gaye song and it was nice to see someone other than
    Viola Billups getting the lead. Shirley Pearce I think....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdy-_1NFTfg
    Some great talents from the U.S. went overseas and seemed to stay and experienced more success and appreciation.

Unless there is some material in vaults someplace that we have never heard about, Ann is one artist who has received proper re-issue treatment. You can get virtually her entire Hi output on any one of several nice multi-disc collections.