[REMOVE ADS]

The Look Of Love - Gladys Knight & The Pips

Anyone else have a soft spot for Gladys & The Pips' version of this song? I think it’s a stunning rendition!!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 03-08-2020 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post

Anyone else have a soft spot for Gladys & The Pips' version of this song? I think it’s a stunning rendition!!
    I do, Tom! GK&TP's albums had perhaps too many cover versions, but who can carp when they are this good?!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post

I always loved this version. Cannot decide between this and Dusty as to which is my absolute favorite. I don't think it was ever a single in the USA, and i recall Gladys admitting to having forgotten it was a single in the UK. Lovely production on this one too.

I've always like this track even though the instrumental break in the middle appears to contain nothing more than the orchestration that lies behind the verses.

Gladys adds some dynamics to the vocals that aren't found in other versions. A bit of a risk, but they really work.

Although the UK single [[which I don't have) is in mono, am I right in thinking that it's just a fold-down?

For trivia lovers, it's also worth noting that this track had verse 2 edited out for inclusion on Motown Chartbusters Volume 8 and that this edited version is more often found in compilations than the full-length track. Bit of a b*mmer, that!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I always loved this version. Cannot decide between this and Dusty as to which is my absolute favorite. I don't think it was ever a single in the USA, and i recall Gladys admitting to having forgotten it was a single in the UK. Lovely production on this one too.
    TLLL was one of those songs that everyone-and-their-mother recorded and yet there was not really a definitive hit version here in the states; I think the Sergio Mendiz & Brazil '66 was the version that received the most airplay here.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I do, Tom! GK&TP's albums had perhaps too many cover versions, but who can carp when they are this good?!
    Exactly PNH! This one is from Silk 'N' Soul which I believe consists entirely of cover versions!! I never really paid too much attention to the LP other than for "The Look Of Love", but I’m getting into it a bit more now.

TLLL was one of those songs that everyone-and-their-mother recorded and yet there was not really a definitive hit version here in the states; I think the Sergio Mendiz & Brazil '66 was the version that received the most airplay here.
    I thought Dusty had a sizeable hit with it in the States? Will have to check. Her version was only a B side in the UK, bùt it gets played quite regularly on smooth radio and radio 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
    I've always like this track even though the instrumental break in the middle appears to contain nothing more than the orchestration that lies behind the verses.

Gladys adds some dynamics to the vocals that aren't found in other versions. A bit of a risk, but they really work.

Although the UK single [[which I don't have) is in mono, am I right in thinking that it's just a fold-down?

For trivia lovers, it's also worth noting that this track had verse 2 edited out for inclusion on Motown Chartbusters Volume 8 and that this edited version is more often found in compilations than the full-length track. Bit of a b*mmer, that!
    The full length version is the best version, and i love that instrumental break in the middle. It's what sets it apart from the other versions.

I think we had this song as the follow-up to Help Me Make It Through The Night in the UK.

"Silk 'n Soul" was always one of my favorite Gladys Knight & the Pips albums on Motown. I loved the covers on the album. Although many of Motown's covers of popular songs were kind of ho-hum, I thought on this album the producers and arrangers excelled at making these songs all unique thanks to Gladys' beautiful voice and interpretation.

Their album "If I Were Your Woman" also included some great covers as well. And speaking of covers, that is, album covers, it had the most imaginative cover design, except for the fact that it basically showed Gladys in an incestuous relationship with her brother and two cousins!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    "Silk 'n Soul" was always one of my favorite Gladys Knight & the Pips albums on Motown. I loved the covers on the album. Although many of Motown's covers of popular songs were kind of ho-hum, I thought on this album the producers and arrangers excelled at making these songs all unique thanks to Gladys' beautiful voice and interpretation.

Their album "If I Were Your Woman" also included some great covers as well. And speaking of covers, that is, album covers, it had the most imaginative cover design, except for the fact that it basically showed Gladys in an incestuous relationship with her brother and two cousins!
    If I Were ... is a favorite lp of mine ever. The cover was cute - just imaginary, and Gladys looked gorgeous! 'How Can You Say' is a great song and the group opened their concerts with that song for a while. Great to bring up this lp!

If I Were ... is a favorite lp of mine ever. The cover was cute - just imaginary, and Gladys looked gorgeous! 'How Can You Say' is a great song and the group opened their concerts with that song for a while. Great to bring up this lp!
    I think that Gladys‘ voice is so classic and so warm that she makes almost any song sound like a standard. Even several of her originals such as “I feel a song” or “Neither one of us“ and even some of the stuff that came out after she left Motown such as “all I need is time“ somehow sounded like they could’ve been covers of famous songs from an earlier period.

I think the songs “feeling all right“ and “let it be“ were on the “if I were your woman” album, and I love those two songs by her so much. The harmonies of the Pips on “let it be” are just beautiful and sound right out of the church.

I am a Gladys fan, but other than the hits LPS, I am unfamiliar with the catalogue. I did give the Look of Love a listen, as well as Valley of The Dolls....I'll pass..not what I expected out of Gladys Knight...
    When I got Compact Command Performances CD I fell in love with All I Need Is Time and Between Her Goodbye...they were new discoveries for me, the hits LP on Soul that I had and loved cut off earlier. I got a used copy of vinyl anthology laying around here somewhere...I will have to dig it out. I was buying a lot of new issue CDS at the time and it got "waylaid"
    Gladys should have been paired with Levi Stubbs...they both can sing with a sense of urgency that would have worked well together

@gman what is about her performance of those songs that doesn’t appeal to you? I’m interested to know because I think she does them in such a classic way, understated and all. But don’t worry I won’t attack you. I really am curious! Not funky enough maybe for Gladys?

it was my first listen....they may grow on me if I kept at it. I was expecting something a lot more expressive and more peak/bite....Gladys ain't one of my understated go to singers..

Thanks gman.

I agree "All I Need is Time" is a great performance. A real "tour de force" as they say...almost like she's acting a role or playing in a musical. It always reminded of the same vibe in the song "Seconds" from one of her early Buddah albums, another great song.

And yes, the same is true for "Between Her Goodbye and My Hello." And wasn't it a throwaway track at the time, that got onto one of the albums that came out on Motown after she left the label? I want to listen to those tracks again, too.

@gman what is about her performance of those songs that doesn’t appeal to you? I’m interested to know because I think she does them in such a classic way, understated and all. But don’t worry I won’t attack you. I really am curious! Not funky enough maybe for Gladys?
    I have to agree with @gman. I love Gladys Knight. But I always make a pass on those two songs. Maybe because I think Dionne Warwicks version is so smooth and perfect. Don’t think anyone could top her version. Gladys version seems too rough or not as smooth IMO. And I don’t like “The Look of Love” by anyone. But the best version to me is done by Dionne Warwick.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I am a Gladys fan, but other than the hits LPS, I am unfamiliar with the catalogue. I did give the Look of Love a listen, as well as Valley of The Dolls....I'll pass..not what I expected out of Gladys Knight...
    When I got Compact Command Performances CD I fell in love with All I Need Is Time and Between Her Goodbye...they were new discoveries for me, the hits LP on Soul that I had and loved cut off earlier. I got a used copy of vinyl anthology laying around here somewhere...I will have to dig it out. I was buying a lot of new issue CDS at the time and it got "waylaid"
    Gladys should have been paired with Levi Stubbs...they both can sing with a sense of urgency that would have worked well together
    Gladys and Levi would have been musical heaven for me. I can only imagine just what sweet music they could have made together.

Another favorite version of mine is that of Diana Krall. She even named her album after the song:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lo...a_Krall_album)

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Another favorite version of mine is that of Diana Krall. She even named her album after the song:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lo...a_Krall_album)
    That lady is so talented. She did a good version for sure.

Thanks gman.

I agree "All I Need is Time" is a great performance. A real "tour de force" as they say...almost like she's acting a role or playing in a musical. It always reminded of the same vibe in the song "Seconds" from one of her early Buddah albums, another great song.

And yes, the same is true for "Between Her Goodbye and My Hello." And wasn't it a throwaway track at the time, that got onto one of the albums that came out on Motown after she left the label? I want to listen to those tracks again, too.
    All three are great, underplayed songs. I recall a live version of 'Seconds' on one of the late-night talk shows that was absolutely spine-tingling.

Between Her Goodbye...had she stayed a bit longer I think it would have been released as a single. Wasn't there an overlap in released material when they went to Buddah? since Neither One of Us was such a great ballard performance and big hit, they most likely would have wanted something different and a bit of heat, a faster paced upbeat record to hit immediately following it, and then next returned with the ballard..BHGAMH