[REMOVE ADS]

Funeral Services for Ms. Barbara Martin-Richardson

On behalf of the family--this is the official announcement---

Services for Barbara Dianne Martin-Richardson-of the Primettes/Supremes will be as follows...

.March 13 Friday at 4 pm she will lie in state at The Swanson funeral home 806 E. Grand Blvd. Detroit

.....The Memorial will be Saturday, March 14, 10:30 am Family greet

11 am service The Promised Land Church 1000 E. State Fair, Detroit 48207

If you are in the area--please attend and offer your prayers and comfort to Barbara's family

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post

Services for Barbara Dianne Martin-Richardson-of the Primettes/Supremes will be as follows...

.March 13 Friday at 4 pm she will lie in state at The Swanson funeral home 806 E. Grand Blvd. Detroit

If you are in the area--please attend and offer your prayers and comfort to Barbara's family
    Per usual, I’m sure you’ll be there posing with pictures of the casket and grieving family and posting them to social media. Pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by monicarivers View Post
    Per usual, I’m sure you’ll be there posing with pictures of the casket and grieving family and posting them to social media. Pathetic.
    Well only if Diane shows!

Thank you Marv for posting the details.

On a side note, I do wish due respect to the nature of this post would have been exercised in honor of the deceased.
    Darin

One “lies in state” only in a public building due to that person being verrry distinguished. One does not “lie in state” inside a Swanson funeral home.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    One “lies in state” only in a public building due to that person being verrry distinguished. One does not “lie in state” inside a Swanson funeral home.
    I thought the same thing when I read that.
    The correct term is "lie in repose."

Just letting you know what Marv posted is exactly what was put on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    I thought the same thing when I read that.
    The correct term is "lie in repose."

Let's give Marv2 some credit for finding out this information. If he hadn't posted it how would you know about it? Unless it is a major super star, the Free Press or the Detroit News often times does not include the obituaries for some reason.

I agree with Blackguy69.

This is not the time to nitpick about something that all Motown Forum members should be aware of. Marv2 is a great locator of information for this forum. He contributes a substantial amount of great items for which I am thankful. Thanks Marv2.

Thank you Marv.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Let's give Marv2 some credit for finding out this information. If he hadn't posted it how would you know about it? Unless it is a major super star, the Free Press or the Detroit News often times does not include the obituaries for some reason.

I agree with Blackguy69.

This is not the time to nitpick about something that all Motown Forum members should be aware of. Marv2 is a great locator of information for this forum. He contributes a substantial amount of great items for which I am thankful. Thanks Marv2.
    I gather most people find her passing sad but don’t wish to know the details of her funeral. I doubt the family wants to be bombarded with fans, especially ones who said they’ll stop talking trash about one of this lady’s former bandmates when said bandmate is dead. I for one am NOT thankful for all of the sycophants around here defending him.

Before you go into a rant, Barbara’s family posted the announcement on Facebook.
    I gather most people find her passing sad but don’t wish to know the details of her funeral. I doubt the family wants to be bombarded with fans, especially ones who said they’ll stop talking trash about one of this lady’s former bandmates when said bandmate is dead. I for one am NOT thankful for all of the sycophants around here defending him.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Before you go into a rant, Barbara’s family posted the announcement on Facebook.
    No rant. Certain people should avoid The Supremes and their families.

Barbara’s family made the announcement and gave permission to post it for the fans. You’re blaming Marv for something her family wanted everyone to know. If someone other than Marv or Luke would even bring it up?

A pertinent question about Barbara Martin. Does anyone know the names of every Supremes song that she sang on [released or unreleased]? Maybe this might turn the tide and make a positive posting out of her passing! I can't say that I have ever seen a complete listing.

I’m guessing all of the pre 63 material before Let Me Go The Right Way
    A pertinent question about Barbara Martin. Does anyone know the names of every Supremes song that she sang on [released or unreleased]? Maybe this might turn the tide and make a positive posting out of her passing! I can't say that I have ever seen a complete listing.

Look in the booklet with the Meet The Supremes expanded edition. The songs are identified there. Or, including the Lupine single sides, here is the list:

Tears Of Sorrow
    Pretty Baby
    After All*
    You Can Depend On Me*
    I Want A Guy
    Never Again
    Who's Loving You
    Buttered Popcorn
    The Boy That Got Away*
    Hey Baby*
    Because I Love Him*
    Baby Don't Go
    Too Hot*
    [[He's) Seventeen
    Save Me A Star*
    Heavenly Father*
    Those DJ Shows*
    Your Heart Belongs To Me
    The Tears*

*unreleased

Thanks for the listing. Much appreciated. I have The Tears as it was released on the Never Before-Released Masters from Motown's Brightest Stars the 1960's. Recorded 12/8/1961.
    A surprising number of unreleased songs exist.

Quote Originally Posted by benross View Post
    Look in the booklet with the Meet The Supremes expanded edition. The songs are identified there. Or, including the Lupine single sides, here is the list:

Tears Of Sorrow
    Pretty Baby
    After All*
    You Can Depend On Me*
    I Want A Guy
    Never Again
    Who's Loving You
    Buttered Popcorn
    The Boy That Got Away*
    Hey Baby*
    Because I Love Him*
    Baby Don't Go
    Too Hot*
    [[He's) Seventeen
    Save Me A Star*
    Heavenly Father*
    Those DJ Shows*
    Your Heart Belongs To Me
    The Tears*

*unreleased
    Super helpful - thank you!

I was always under the impression that "Tears Of Sorrow" and "Pretty Baby" had Betty McGlown in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I was always under the impression that "Tears Of Sorrow" and "Pretty Baby" had Betty McGlown in the background.
    Those songs have neither Barbara or Betty. There were two other ladies that sang with DMF on those songs. Betty had left the group and Barbara hadn't joined yet.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    Those songs have neither Barbara or Betty. There were two other ladies that sang with DMF on those songs. Betty had left the group and Barbara hadn't joined yet.
    And who would the other two ladies have been?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    And who would the other two ladies have been?

In her first book, Mary wrote that TEARS OF SORROW and PRETTY BABY were recorded after Betty McGlown left but before Barbara Martin joined. She mentioned that their producer Richard Morris thought their vocals might sound thin with just the three of them, so he brought along Betty Kendrick and Barbara Randolph to fill out the sound. Mary concluded by saying that she never saw either woman again, but that Barbara became a minister.

After watching the video above, I assume that the woman Mary called Barbara Randolph in her book was actually Barbara Terry.

However, in the recent interview with Barbara Martin for the MEET THE SUPREMES expanded edition, she says that she was on the Lupine recordings TEARS OF SORROW and PRETTY BABY. Since the girls re-recorded SORROW on Motown, I wonder if she was just confused.
    Last edited by reese; 03-08-2020 at 11:50 AM.

"Tears of Sorrow" was re-recorded when the girls signed with Motown. I assume since they had signed with Motown then Barbara was on that recording. The original "Tears of Sorrow", I don't have a clue if its Betty or Barbara or someone else. I have both versions and can't tell who is in the background. I can't find anything where "Pretty Baby" was re-recorded.

Thank you Marv for posting this. God bless Barbara Martin's family.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Thank you Marv for posting this. God bless Barbara Martin's family.
    You're most welcome Kenneth. May God bless them indeed!

You're most welcome Kenneth. May God bless them indeed!
    Defender of rapists and child molesters invokes “God”. Man, how far we’ve fallen...

What the hell is wrong with you?
    Defender of rapists and child molesters invokes “God”. Man, how far we’ve fallen...

@blackguy that poster must be one of the old folks lurking anew with a new identity. How could they have it in for Marv so much already?

Kind of have to agree

This is best left about Barbara Martin who has passed away and didn’t want to be a star

Marv deserves no pass and no sympathy but we should respect Barbara Martin here

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Kind of have to agree

This is best left about Barbara Martin who has passed away and didn’t want to be a star

Marv deserves no pass and no sympathy but we should respect Barbara Martin here
    Totally agree with you on all counts here Rob.

I used the ignore/block feature for the first time on this forum....glad I did. I reviewed the 100 posts of "Monica" and found that the majority are negative comments. Just click on the person's profile and look at their posts. I can glaze over some comments and move on, but the negativity this person is bringing to the forum is toxic. No thanks, moving on.
    Darin

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    I used the ignore/block feature for the first time on this forum....glad I did. I reviewed the 100 posts of "Monica" and found that the majority are negative comments. Just click on the person's profile and look at their posts. I can glaze over some comments and move on, but the negativity this person is bringing to the forum is toxic. No thanks, moving on.
    Darin
    Something I just noticed as a result of the above quote. This character has only 102 posts and is a Senior Member? Doesn't seem justified in view of the toxic attitude put forth. I thought 500 would be a more realistic number to become a Senior Member.

I apologize for the negativity here folks. I tend to shoot from the hip and this was not the right thread to use to vent about a person who’s toxicity is well known in Motown/Detroit/Supremes fandom for decades.

I appreciate contributions to online forums and social media sites that provide and promote healthy discussions on the topics we’ve all come together to discuss and dissect.

I will say, for the last time, that I have no patience for or defense of someone who is lauded as such a wonderful asset to the online fan communities given their history of being shunned by the very performers they claim to adore so much, uses death and funerals as ways to seek out attention [[not necessarily in this case, see other morbid occasions), has wished bodily harm and death on a certain performer, and lastly, blindly defends performers who are known/accused domestic and sexual abusers.

Going forward, I will keep my criticisms of this person and my attacks on those who defend them to myself.

That being said - keep putting me on ignore or speculating that I’m some random former banned member lurking around attacking this poor person that so many of you have deemed a victim.

Anyway, here’s to focusing on the music moving forward...

-MR

I apologize for the negativity here folks. I tend to shoot from the hip and this was not the right thread to use to vent about a person who’s toxicity is well known in Motown/Detroit/Supremes fandom for decades.

I appreciate contributions to online forums and social media sites that provide and promote healthy discussions on the topics we’ve all come together to discuss and dissect.

I will say, for the last time, that I have no patience for or defense of someone who is lauded as such a wonderful asset to the online fan communities given their history of being shunned by the very performers they claim to adore so much, uses death and funerals as ways to seek out attention [[not necessarily in this case, see other morbid occasions), has wished bodily harm and death on a certain performer, and lastly, blindly defends performers who are known/accused domestic and sexual abusers.

Going forward, I will keep my criticisms of this person and my attacks on those who defend them to myself.

That being said - keep putting me on ignore or speculating that I’m some random former banned member lurking around attacking this poor person that so many of you have deemed a victim.

Anyway, here’s to focusing on the music moving forward...

-MR
    You will not find me defending that particular individual. I agree with much of what you say, but i have a problem when it tarnishes a tribute to Barbara Martin. We need to keep it civil as we pay our respects to the deceased lady. His behaviour disgusts me, but i have found the best way to deal with his sickening attacks is to put him on ignore. It does not eradicate the problem, but it does brush it under the carpet with all the other germs. Try it. Your life will be all the more blessed as a result. My best wishes to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    You will not find me defending that particular individual. I agree with much of what you say, but i have a problem when it tarnishes a tribute to Barbara Martin. We need to keep it civil as we pay our respects to the deceased lady. His behaviour disgusts me, but i have found the best way to deal with his sickening attacks is to put him on ignore. It does not eradicate the problem, but it does brush it under the carpet with all the other germs. Try it. Your life will be all the more blessed as a result. My best wishes to you.

Thank you Blue. I didn’t even know about the “ignore” feature until someone mentioned it a few posts above.

i finally broke down today and put him on Ignore too. i had thought that there might be some minute value in keeping him public - perhaps there'd be some treasures of details or history he'd share that would make dealing with his ignorance bearable. But finally decided today that isn't gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i finally broke down today and put him on Ignore too. i had thought that there might be some minute value in keeping him public - perhaps there'd be some treasures of details or history he'd share that would make dealing with his ignorance bearable. But finally decided today that isn't gonna happen.
    It's very sad because he does post some outstanding videos and articles. The man certainly knows his stuff, but the hateful bile he spouts sickens me. I get the fact that he dislikes Diana. That is his choice, but i cannot accept him wishing physical harm on her. That should disgust any law abiding citizen on this forum. I readily admit to not caring much for Mary Wilson, but i would never wish her any harm or misfortune.
    This individual will never change his ways, and for that reason you have morally made the correct decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    It's very sad because he does post some outstanding videos and articles. The man certainly knows his stuff....
    He knows how to use Google and its tools. That's his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    He knows how to use Google and its tools. That's his stuff.
    And search youtube and post his findings in this here forum.

@monicarivers, I knew your moniker was somehow familiar and the other day they were showing that Godawful [[though a camp classic) film "Berserk" and now I know where you got it!

I agree with Blackguy69.

Thank you Woodward and you are most welcome!

Yes dear - we love our Hammer and Hammer style horror here in the UK. I’ve also fancied myself quite the “ringmaster”. Hope all are staying safe out there!

Yes dear - we love our Hammer and Hammer style horror here in the UK. I’ve also fancied myself quite the “ringmaster”. Hope all are staying safe out there!
    Of course, "Berserk" was a lot more fun and a classic compared to Crawford's last film - "Trog!"

wierd thing I never saw Swanson acknowledge her obituary or name on their website.