[REMOVE ADS]

Ain't Nobody Coming to see you Otis!! AJC Article

There's a great article/interview in today's Atlanta Journal Constitution with Leon Robinson on this famous movie quote.

Actor Leon Robinson reveals oft-quoted line from ‘The Temptations’ was unscripted

ATLANTA BUZZ BLOG March 05, 2020
    By

“The Temptations” miniseries originally aired on NBC in 1998 and in the decades since, many have come to quote the line uttered by actor Leon Robinson’s character, David Ruffin.

“Ain't nobody comin' to see you, Otis!” he snaps at Otis Williams during a squabble after Ruffin proclaims audiences are looking to see him at shows.
    » RELATED: Cynthia Bailey interview: Mike Hill engagement, Kenya Moore return to ‘RHOA,’ status with NeNe

Advertiser ContentWhy You’ll Fall in Love With the Inside of the 2020...

But according to Robinson, who is the ex of “The Real Housewives of Atlanta” star Cynthia Bailey, the line wasn’t even in the script.
    Strong Black Lead
    @strongblacklead

A couple of things: @justleon says that "Above The Rim" is the best movie made for ballers, period. ALSO - did y'all know THEE "Otis" line wasn't scripted?! This convo is such a joy!

LISTEN IN FULLhttp://smarturl.it/mb7dnf #StrongBlackLegends

3:35 PM - Mar 4, 2020
    Twitter Ads info and privacy

374 people are talking about this

“We were in rehearsals and I was David Ruffin the entire time,” Robinson explained to Tracy Clayton on the Netflix podcast “Strong Black Lead.” “And I found out later my co-stars didn't particularly care for me. But I stayed in that role the entire time so I was always thinking of things and telling the director and producers and stuff and things that I had researched and the way things were.”
    Robinson said he simply uttered the phrase in rehearsal and the series’ director, Allan Arkush, said that Leon’s co-star, Charles Malik Whitfield, who played Otis Williams,” wasn’t a fan.
    “You know he doesn't really like it when you say that,” Arkruh whispered into Leon’s ear.

“And I turned to him and said, ‘He's not supposed to.’ He said, ‘Did you see the reaction on his face when I said it?’ I said, ‘Isn't that what you want?’” Robinson recalled telling the director. “I just improvise a line and next thing I know, it's like, that line follows me around the world.”
    It’s true that the line has endured. It’s frequently used on social media to illustrate various situations. It’s also been used in meme form.
    » RELATED: Cynthia Bailey posts selfie with random guy she thought was Tom Brady

X

What is this?

I was simply an interview with Leon Robinson, who portrayed David Ruffin in the Temptations miniseries from over 20 years ago. The article was published in the Atlanta Journal Constitution newspaper.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    I was simply an interview with Leon Robinson, who portrayed David Ruffin in the Temptations miniseries from over 20 years ago. The article was published in the Atlanta Journal Constitution newspaper.
    Thanks - a lot of it must have gotten lost in translation with the cut/paste from the original source. I wish all websites had "reader view" available.