[REMOVE ADS]

Barbara Martin RIP

It was just announced on Facebook that Barbara Martin has passed in Detroit.

I interviewed her in 2013 for the ETH piece on Diana Ross. She was sweet and considered it, but I had the feeling her life was very different than those of her singing sisters and she was satisfied with having a family.

Condolensces to her family

So sorry to hear that. I was always curious about Barbara but it seemed she lived a very private life.

Correction, I interviewed her in 2003.

She seemed to me to be happy about the group's success but was not interested in living that kind of lifestyle.

Very sorry to read this. It is sad to hear of the passing of any of our Motown family. May She Rest In Peace.

Rest in peace Barbara. God Bless Willie and the family.

Marv
    Last edited by marv2; 03-04-2020 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    It was just announced on Facebook that Barbara Martin has passed in Detroit.

I interviewed her in 2013 for the ETH piece on Diana Ross. She was sweet and considered it, but I had the feeling her life was very different than those of her singing sisters and she was satisfied with having a family.

Condolensces to her family

RIP Nurse and former Supreme Barbara Martin. God speeds your journey home to our Lord and savior.

Very sad news. May she rest in eternal peace.

If Ms. Martin had a full and happy life, it was her time and I wish her spirit well and her family wonderful memories.

She stated in the interview for the Meet the Sup EE booklet that she was more than satisfied with her life decisions. she married her childhood sweetheart and, apparently, they had a full, loving and wonderful life.

I thank God I had the chance to see and hear her sing a bit with Mary in 1994 at Chene Park:

That’s great Marv. This is very sad indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    That’s great Marv. This is very sad indeed.
    It was a few months after Mary's tragic accident. They held "Mary Wilson Day" along with the Detroit Jazz Society celebration. Barbara went out to California to help take care of Mary after the accident. I remember Mary calling Barbara out in the audience and Barbara's oldest son helping Mary off of the stage by picking her up! LOL! Barbara and Mary sang a little bit of "He's Seventeen". She looked great in a red pants suit. I'll always remember that day. All of the Brewster Oldtimers were there too.

RIP to an original Supreme.

In one of MW's fanclub newsletters for the 80's, there's a great pic of Mary and Barbara. Sounds like they always kept in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It was a few months after Mary's tragic accident. They held "Mary Wilson Day" along with the Detroit Jazz Society celebration. Barbara went out to California to help take care of Mary after the accident. I remember Mary calling Barbara out in the audience and Barbara's oldest son helping Mary off of the stage by picking her up! LOL! Barbara and Mary sang a little bit of "He's Seventeen". She looked great in a red pants suit. I'll always remember that day. All of the Brewster Oldtimers were there too.
    I loved the interview she gave Mary in the "Meet the Supremes" booklet.

Marv, what do you mean by Brewster Oldtimers? People who had lived in the Brewster Projects when the girls did?

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I loved the interview she gave Mary in the "Meet the Supremes" booklet.

Marv, what do you mean by Brewster Oldtimers? People who had lived in the Brewster Projects when the girls did?
    Yeah. I think of them as more or less along the lines of an alumni association.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Yeah. I think of them as more or less along the lines of an alumni association.
    Thanks Marv.

I still remember seeing those very tall housing projects whenever we drove downtown. Was it the Lodge freeway that wound right by them? I can't remember now.

Barbara Martin RIP

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Thanks Marv.

I still remember seeing those very tall housing projects whenever we drove downtown. Was it the Lodge freeway that wound right by them? I can't remember now.

Barbara Martin RIP
    Yeah that was the Lodge before the split with the Chrysler freeway. The Brewster Oldtimers are the toughest, nicest people you'd ever want to meet! LOL! They are like the walking, talking history of 20th Century Detroit.

Sad to hear. Condolences to her family and is nice to hear she was happy with the direction she chose in life.

Name:  ESYPHVpXsAACAD2.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  50.9 KB
    i found this on Twitter

TBH I knew very little about Ms Martin but she seems to have been a very classy lady and happy in her life.

RIP

In this early song, each of the four Supremes have lead verse on this song
    flo ballard,mary wilson,barbara martin, and diana ross

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    In this early song, each of the four Supremes have lead verse on this song
    flo ballard,mary wilson,barbara martin, and diana ross

Was very cool to have this piece of history. I remember playing it several times to figure out exactly who was who.

I picked it out as Flo, Mary, Barbara, Diana - then I saw Milven had told us who was who. Does everyone agree?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I picked it out as Flo, Mary, Barbara, Diana - then I saw Milven had told us who was who. Does everyone agree?
    Yep, I would say that is what my ears hear.

We have ourselves a winner! According to the notes in the velvet box set, that's the order of the featured singers. It was a good formula, and it was lovely to hear it used, also -- and earlier, as After All was mentioned but not released until much later -- on the Country, Western & Pop album, on It Makes No Difference Now. That arrangement, and the autographed photos on the cover of More Hits, helped us become more familiar with each individual still in the group, and a "friendship" was forged.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Name:  ESYPHVpXsAACAD2.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  50.9 KB
    i found this on Twitter
    I wonder if this the pic that was supposed to be used on "Meet The Supremes".

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    I wonder if this the pic that was supposed to be used on "Meet The Supremes".
    The other girls had a bow in their hair in the cover photos. I can't tell if Barbara does here.

I don’t see a bow

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Yup! That's who were singing in chronological order.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    The other girls had a bow in their hair in the cover photos. I can't tell if Barbara does here.
    If not the album picture perhaps a graduation picture. Definitely an early pic of her.