[REMOVE ADS]

Apollo - Astro Disco! 1978

Remember this short-lived Motown band? It was comprised of Berry Gordy's son Kerry Gordy and his stepson, Cliff Liles, along with future music mogul Benny Medina:

As someone who was slightly after that period, the first time I have happened to hear about the group, was on Unsung, as a group Teena Marie was on for a brief time, before she splitted, assumably out of their over macho-ness.

Eventually, curiousness and research led me to finding out about their "Astro Disco"; it does sounds hilarious, in the them having fun with themselves kind of way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    As someone who was slightly after that period, the first time I have happened to hear about the group, was on Unsung, as a group Teena Marie was on for a brief time, before she splitted, assumably out of their over macho-ness.

Eventually, curiousness and research led me to finding out about their "Astro Disco"; it does sounds hilarious, in the them having fun with themselves kind of way.
    I remember Right On Magazine did an article on the group, along with a review of their album. I am guessing that I have it in my collection.

Is this the group that had the song "Tailgating"?

I can't seem to find any info. on the song "Tailgating", but interestingly, Chico Ross [[Diana Ross) was there original drummer. Here is a brief bio on the band:

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/apollo-mn0000498720

Here is another video the group performing "Happiness" in 1978 which is pretty good:

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I can't seem to find any info. on the song "Tailgating", but interestingly, Chico Ross [[Diana Ross) was there original drummer. Here is a brief bio on the band:

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/apollo-mn0000498720
    My mistake. The title is "Tailgate" by 21st Creation.

Quote Originally Posted by blkfrost View Post
    My mistake. The title is "Tailgate" by 21st Creation.
    No problem blkfrost. I am enjoying researching some of the lesser-known Motown acts that came to the label after it's heyday.

I really like "Right In Front Of You" by this group. Their [[sole) album is pretty good!

This is also a really nice tune:

Wow, I remember this group being in Right On magazine a lot back in the day. I can't remember their music but lead singer Benny Medina became huge in the entertainment industry. Actually The Fresh Prince of Bel Air was based off of Medina's life. He went on to manage the careers of J-Lo, Usher, Tyra Banks, Mariah Carey, P Diddy and other big names.
    Last edited by glencro; 03-08-2020 at 09:09 PM.

Is that the same track as "Love Machine" with different performance/words? Maybe "Love Machine" meets "Happy Radio"?