[REMOVE ADS]

Mary wilson appearing in long island, ny tonight 3/1/2020

Usually, all of Mary's appearances are posted on this forum, but this one seems to have been missed-

http://www.suffolktheater.com/event/...3d61a2db77834d

I never heard of the Suffolk Theatre , but it sounds very interesting. They converted an old movie house into an intimate supper club type venue.

Anyhow, since Marv missed this [[maybe he is going, it is local), I posted it for any Mary or Supremes fans who may be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Usually, all of Mary's appearances are posted on this forum, but this one seems to have been missed-

I never heard of the Suffolk Theatre , but it sounds very interesting. They converted an old movie house into an intimate supper club type venue.

Anyhow, since Marv missed this [[maybe he is going, it is local), I posted it for any Mary or Supremes fans who may be interested.
    Marv hasn't been to a Mary Wilson show in twenty years.

Quote Originally Posted by monicarivers View Post
    And we all know the sordid reason for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    And we all know the sordid reason for that.
    Yes we do, Blue. Yes we do.

This gig is only about 50% sold so Mary needs better promoters. https://tickets.vendini.com/ticket-s...cb111c110a0924

This looks like a real nice setting in a real nice club that should be sold out. Mary should also promote the heck outta her gigs on her facebook and instagram account.

Yes we do, Blue. Yes we do.
    Hey tell us all!

Or is it that she simply shuns him?
    Last edited by jobeterob; 03-01-2020 at 03:52 PM.

Not everyone can afford to go to a concert.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Not everyone can afford to go to a concert.
    I see; so does a person get angry and resentful when this happens?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I see; so does a person get angry and resentful when this happens?
    Apparently so ... not to mention petty, embittered, hateful, pathetic, unproductive, obsessive ...

Are there really only about 65 seats in this venue?

If so, it would be a great event to attend.

It is tiny. It would be the perfect venue to see a favoured artist . You would be guaranteed a great view of the performer.

I think full capacity is 350 seats but it can be configured in smaller ways. For Mary's show, they had the back portion of the theatre closed.

http://www.suffolktheater.com/map-of-the-theater

Tickets are affordable at about fifty dollars plus food and beverage. But for those on a budget, they can eat a bologna sandwich at home and just pay for the show plus ten dollar minimum for drinks. That is an inexpensive night out.

The place books mostly tribute acts and acts that would be more comfortable in a small venue like this.

I am curious to know if Mary did her intimate show or her Supremes oldies show.

http://www.suffolktheater.com/events

Why does she perform in such a small place

Mary did the up close show. She takes these gigs because they are what’s offered. Sometimes she takes a piece of the house against a guarantee. I don’t know how this was set up as I TRY not to be TOO nosey. Mary’s had some great gigs of late, but also some stinkers. Venues that she is established in like Blues Alley are lucrative enough for her because word us out that she’s great plus there’s a lot if repeat business. It’s a tough time for her right now because her category has degraded far lower than her talent. Hopefully she has more years to work as she is trying to stay healthy in spite of her fondness for the grape and the wrong foods. She is trying and has lost some weight.

Yet another Mary show with nary a review from any of her diehard fans...ticket prices seemed reasonable. I wonder why all the hubbub without any attendance from her SDF loyalists?

Marv/MarysFan waiting on YouTube post of said event..321 and Luke replying how great Mary’s in such demand.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    Intimate clubs can be great. I saw Mary at the Catalina Club in LA and sjhe put on a real fine show which was a combo of UpClose and Supremes songs. Shes got a great voice and shes a polished performer. Small cklubs are great ways to see legends. I saew the late great Eartha Kitt at a small club in LA and she was mezmorrizing.

Mary needs to promote her shows more and real often on facebook and instagram IMO.

I would love to know what she sings and if she adds anything new.

She has to take what is on offer which somewhat limits her options.
    Despite a deluded member on here recently describing her as "Queen of the world" the reality is quite different. She needs the support of her fans in what is a very tough working environment.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Mary did the up close show. She takes these gigs because they are what’s offered. Sometimes she takes a piece of the house against a guarantee. I don’t know how this was set up as I TRY not to be TOO nosey. Mary’s had some great gigs of late, but also some stinkers. Venues that she is established in like Blues Alley are lucrative enough for her because word us out that she’s great plus there’s a lot if repeat business. It’s a tough time for her right now because her category has degraded far lower than her talent. Hopefully she has more years to work as she is trying to stay healthy in spite of her fondness for the grape and the wrong foods. She is trying and has lost some weight.
    Thank you for your very honest post. It is a pity some of her diehard fans on here go missing at times like this. They should be actively supporting her rather than making outrageous claims about how much in demand she is. Get out there and support her. She needs you more than ever.

I ask the questions out of curiosity. On the one hand, she's invited to TV shows, she's doing a lot of promotion for a book. The people who invite her seem to know who she is.

On the other hand, she does shows in front of 60 or 100 people, so you can't say she's very much in demand and she doesn't have to earn much.

I ask the questions out of curiosity. On the one hand, she's invited to TV shows, she's doing a lot of promotion for a book. The people who invite her seem to know who she is.

On the other hand, she does shows in front of 60 or 100 people, so you can't say she's very much in demand and she doesn't have to earn much.
    She pushes to gets on tv talk shows, and is booked because of her being one of the Supremes. Paying money to hear her sing when she was only a backup singer is another story, and people are not interested.

It is NOT the same to hear Wilson sing Baby Love. The public will pay only to hear the iconic original lead voice. How many would pay to hear a backup Vandella sing Heatwave?
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 03-03-2020 at 07:57 AM.

The tv shows she is invited onto are not the top rated talk shows. They are usually regional programmes or if she is lucky maybe an afternoon show. I don't recall her being invited onto the Jimmy Fallon show or James Corden which attract the big stars. She needs the publicity those kind of shows generate. Sadly she is not seen as a big enough star to be invited onto them. Her book would have doubtless sold more had she been able to secure an appearance on those high profile shows. I am sure her devotees will disagree with what i say, but you cannot hide from the truth.

The tv shows she is invited onto are not the top rated talk shows. They are usually regional programmes or if she is lucky maybe an afternoon show. I don't recall her being invited onto the Jimmy Fallon show or James Corden which attract the big stars. She needs the publicity those kind of shows generate. Sadly she is not seen as a big enough star to be invited onto them. Her book would have doubtless sold more had she been able to secure an appearance on those high profile shows. I am sure her devotees will disagree with what i say, but you cannot hide from the truth.
    still she manages to be in Dance with the stars and on the picture with Diana and Quincy ! Well done Mary

Yes, and anyone who is doing anything, singing, dancing, office work, MacDonalds, Tim Hortons, at 75 is to be praised and congratulated. Some of the "sad Polly's" on here just sit and play computer all day and get fatter.

What's the picture with Diana and Quincy?

still she manages to be in Dance with the stars and on the picture with Diana and Quincy ! Well done Mary
    How many z celebrities appear on Dance with the stars? Too many to mention here! Had she progressed on that show it would have been very lucrative for her because it does draw in the viewers, but she was eliminated in the first week and did not get the sales boost her book so badly needed.

What seemed a bit questionable to me is why another book on Supremes dresses and glamour? You know that's not going to sell a lot before you write it.

...What's the picture with Diana and Quincy?
    Diana Ross and Mary Wilson, at Elton John's AIDS Foundation's annual Oscars viewing party

Though some people there anticipated that there could be drama when Diana and Mary's paths collided, their interaction ended up being nothing but cordial. After Mary greeted Diana, the two hugged and posed for a photo together with Quincy

Diana Ross and Mary Wilson, at Elton John's AIDS Foundation's annual Oscars viewing party

Though some people there anticipated that there could be drama when Diana and Mary's paths collided, their interaction ended up being nothing but cordial. After Mary greeted Diana, the two hugged and posed for a photo together with Quincy

Only a member or two here would have suspected/predicted/wanted drama. These are 3 intelligent and successful adults who have learned how to navigate the world. And they all look great here.

What seemed a bit questionable to me is why another book on Supremes dresses and glamour? You know that's not going to sell a lot before you write it.
    There's going to be another one? I had not heard that. Amazon [[Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #94,616 in Books) has slashed the price by nearly half, to $21.99. Barnes & Noble has signed editions left from the Christmas season still at $40; their sales ranking is 58,275.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    There's going to be another one? I had not heard that. Amazon [[Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #94,616 in Books) has slashed the price by nearly half, to $21.99. Barnes & Noble has signed editions left from the Christmas season still at $40; their sales ranking is 58,275.
    It was marked down to 7.99 here in the UK just after Christmas. I saw it in a couple of bookstores, yet it was still 29.99 when i looked in HMV the other week. A wide variation in price.

It was marked down to 7.99 here in the UK just after Christmas. I saw it in a couple of bookstores, yet it was still 29.99 when i looked in HMV the other week. A wide variation in price.
    Discounting right now is probably based upon how many left-over copies the individual seller has on hand. I'm keeping a lookout for about $9.99 in the BN remainder section. The pictures will be worth that price. I was surprised that no one here publicized the signed edition BN featured for the Christmas season. BN sold out of a lot of their other signed editions [[Carly Simon, David McCullough, etc.) but SG is still available.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Discounting right now is probably based upon how many left-over copies the individual seller has on hand. I'm keeping a lookout for about $9.99 in the BN remainder section. The pictures will be worth that price. I was surprised that no one here publicized the signed edition BN featured for the Christmas season. BN sold out of a lot of their other signed editions [[Carly Simon, David McCullough, etc.) but SG is still available.
    I had a sneaky look at it, but even at that price i decided to pass on it. There were some nice pics, but i am way more interested in the music than the gowns.

I had a sneaky look at it, but even at that price i decided to pass on it. There were some nice pics, but i am way more interested in the music than the gowns.
    I as well and keep my / our fingers crossed for more archival releases!

I got the book, paid full price, and really enjoyed it. I liked it so much and was so intrigued with Michael Travis, that I bought a book on Liberace's outfits, that Michael Travis had created prior to the Supremes. The complexity of those costumes is amazing. I can't imagine the cost for them, and how do you even clean them?

Quote Originally Posted by drlorne View Post
    I got the book, paid full price, and really enjoyed it. I liked it so much and was so intrigued with Michael Travis, that I bought a book on Liberace's outfits, that Michael Travis had created prior to the Supremes. The complexity of those costumes is amazing. I can't imagine the cost for them, and how do you even clean them?
    The cleaning issue is fascinating. I was in the garment industry for years and learned that costume cleaning is an art in and of itself. Short-list answer? Lots of Q-tips dipped in vodka [[isopropyl alcohol can dry sticky), a magnifying glass, an air-only dust blower [[no canned air spray - too much power & damaging chemicals) and the patience to lightly dust and swab one sequin at a time! Also vodka in a spray bottle and/or special sponge [[I forget which type) to blot under-arm and neckline staining and generally deodorize the garment. There are probably more methods & they would be interesting to hear of. And we're not even getting into the matter of storage ...

PNH -- Thanks for your post; it was very informative.