[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Diana Ross, Boy George, Marilyn and Motown

You all haven't heard Boy George's takes on Diana Ross and other Motown people, am I right? After my last thread about Love Hangover, I don't want to rehash anything. Anyway let me know and I'll delete this post. So everybody knows who Boy George is--a big drag queen who scored big in the 80's with Culture Club. His best friend was another drag queen who went by Marilyn--he looked very much like Marilyn Monroe when made up. Turns out Marilyn was a huge DR fan, playing her Live in Central Park video over and over while he and Boy were in NYC. Marilyn vowed to meet her, and wanted her to manage his newfound career in music. M decided to record DR's song I Ain't Been Licked, which became the B side of his second single. When Boy heard he'd recorded that song, he quipped "Licked? You've been chewed and spat out!"

Miss Marilyn did some detective work and soon learned Diana Ross had an apartment at the Sherry Netherland hotel under the name Mrs. Blue, and soon started bugging Boy to move into that hotel. With him tagging along, of course. After putting up a weak fight, Boy caved and soon they were staying at the Sherry. Marilyn left Mrs. Blue a bunch of messages which she didn't return, but Marilyn was not swayed.

Marilyn decided that if he left a message for DR saying he wanted her to manage him, she would finally call him back. BG rolled his eyes. About 40 minutes later the phone rang. It was Diana Ross!!! M and DR spoke for a couple of minutes and when he hung up, Marilyn smugly announced "I told you she'd call. I'm meeting her tomorrow."

The next day Miss Ross sent a limo for him--she was performing in Connecticut and wished for M to meet her there. He went, needless to say. BG stayed in NYC sulking. Eventually M came back, saying that DR hugged him, said he was "Beautiful," said he should be a movie star, and then DR offered to manage him. Suddenly Marilyn was investing in new clothes, a new look, the whole 9 yards.

Actually this is all old news; heard it before. I think it was in a Rolling Stone story 35 or so years ago.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 02-29-2020 at 05:54 PM.

At this point, Boy George had been invited to perform at the 50th anniversary celebration of the Apollo theater. He was scared. He was invited as a solo act, not with Culture Club,something he'd never done before. He was assigned the song Signed, Sealed Delivered, to be sung as a duet with Stevie Wonder, and a second undecided song with Luther Vandross. Bg was told he'd be the only white artist on the show, which turned out not to be true when George Michael turned up for rehearsals. BG was so scared, so intimidated that he announced to Marilyn that he wasn't going. Marilyn dismissed it out of hand saying "All those FAB Motown stars are gonna be there and you're not going? Really!"

... seriously. Are you reading the RS article, or perhaps Taraborelli, and re-writing paragraph by paragraph?

I take that back. I think this is straight-out plagiarism. In addition to being boring, decades-old gossip. Outta this one!

As Mary knows, the only one worth talking about in the mind of the public is Diana

Isn't there a pic of Boy and Maz [[Marilyn) with Diana from around this era [[1985-86)? That's when both men ditched their uber androgynous looks though still very androgynous.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Isn't there a pic of Boy and Maz [[Marilyn) with Diana from around this era [[1985-86)? That's when both men ditched their uber androgynous looks though still very androgynous.
    Name:  Diana Ross Marilyn.jpg
Views: 2184
Size:  97.5 KB
    Name:  Diana Ross Marilyn 2.jpg
Views: 2381
Size:  66.9 KB
    Name:  Diana Ross Marilyn 3.jpg
Views: 2000
Size:  23.0 KB

Man there are some toxic people on this forum. Goodbye forever.

Bobby C This is my very first post on this forum that I have followed for years until I finally joined,first off don’t leave and secondly I have collected Diana Ross for almost 50 years I may have heard this story before but I don’t know/remember when supposedly happened.Could you or someone please enlighten me as to what transpired where this story stopped.And please don’t anybody make fun of me I don’t want to feel stupid after enjoying reading all the Soulful Detroit and when we got the DRTS forum with my first post

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
    You kind of get accustomed to it. Hang around for a little while longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Name:  Diana Ross Marilyn.jpg
Views: 2184
Size:  97.5 KB
    Name:  Diana Ross Marilyn 2.jpg
Views: 2381
Size:  66.9 KB
    Name:  Diana Ross Marilyn 3.jpg
Views: 2000
Size:  23.0 KB
    Thanks!!!

Bobby, don't mind them. You're not doing anything wrong.

Maz was so attractive! OMG...

To put it mildly BobbyC. Good for you for containing your response. Frankly I think a few more choice words were in order.

Don't let a couple of loud mouth know-it-alls chase you off the forum! Stay and have fun in spite of them! Your threads were a breath of fresh air compared to so much of the stale stuff that gets rehashed here and I, like Rossone , would like to hear the rest of this story you were so entertainingly sharing. Thank you for the attempt to share it with us!
    But I get why you would say 'to hell with this' when mistreated this way . I can't explain their dismissive behavior, but they are a small part of the forum , come enjoy yourself and never mind them!

Don't let bullies win!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-02-2020 at 01:59 PM.

Some are toxic; most want to preserve the integrity of the forum by focusing on music and performance rather than decades-old plagiarized gossip; there are countless other forums for that!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Some are toxic; most want to preserve the integrity of the forum by focusing on music and performance rather than decades-old plagiarized gossip; there are countless other forums for that!
    How have you come to the conclusion that you know what 'most' people want on this forum and that you're then entitled to harass people that post outside said notion?
    You were on this guy in his LOVE HANGOVER and 5th Dimension threads and you continued here.
    I'm surprised anyone would feel righteous by their comments resulting in chasing somebody off whose only crime was to participate here in a way that interested them but not you .

Very well said Boogiedown!!Bobby C are you still there?Please finish the story about Marilyn,Boy and Diana. I would love to know the end of the story.

Come back Bobby !!!!

For the record neither Boy George or Marilyn are drag queens so please get your facts right!

Whatever happened to Marilyn?

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Whatever happened to Marilyn?
    His five minutes of fame quickly passed and after falling out with Boy George he was quickly dropped by his record company, and the press quickly lost interest in his exploits. He did some cabaret work in London before that dried up to. Last i heard of him he looked in poor physical health . I have a friend of a friend of a friend who may be able to provide an update.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    For the record neither Boy George or Marilyn are drag queens so please get your facts right!
    To be fair, George bragged, maybe in sarcasm, after the Grammys honored Culture Club with the Best New Artist of 1982 Grammy in 1983 that they had "style, taste and you know a good drag queen when you see one!"

But technically, you're right, they weren't drag queens.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    His five minutes of fame quickly passed and after falling out with Boy George he was quickly dropped by his record company, and the press quickly lost interest in his exploits. He did some cabaret work in London before that dried up to. Last i heard of him he looked in poor physical health . I have a friend of a friend of a friend who may be able to provide an update.
    He has a Twitter [[think it's called MrMarilyn). I know he was active on YouTube when it first started [[he used to post videos of his performances on his channel). Still a huge DR fan. I think I saw a video of him doing I Ain't Been Licked on YouTube.

For anyone wondering how he looked when he first came out to the public [[no not like that lol):

Of course, y'all knew how Boy George looked back in the day too:

As Copley said, they weren't drag queens but "gender benders".

They were part of the new romantic movement which included Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Japan, Flock of Seagulls etc.

Yep. Unlike the other acts mentioned, they didn't just wear makeup and androgynous clothing to be part of the trend, they truly lived the openly gay life without actually saying it.

The New Romantic era was pretty legendary though.

lololol !!!!!

Hey!!! Adam was cool.

Hey!!! Adam was cool.
    And real sexy. 😀

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    And real sexy. ��
    Very sexy. ��

To be fair, George bragged, maybe in sarcasm, after the Grammys honored Culture Club with the Best New Artist of 1982 Grammy in 1983 that they had "style, taste and you know a good drag queen when you see one!"

But technically, you're right, they weren't drag queens.
    that's right he did say that about himself didn't he! I remember that , I think it was a live remote from London ...

Adam Ant's Biggest US hit :

The next day Miss Ross sent a limo for him--she was performing in Connecticut and wished for M to meet her there. He went, needless to say. BG stayed in NYC sulking. Eventually M came back, saying that DR hugged him, said he was "Beautiful," said he should be a movie star, and then DR offered to manage him. Suddenly Marilyn was investing in new clothes, a new look, the whole 9 yards.
    This part of the story I find curious. Was Ross in the habit of managing other acts ? If so , who else has she managed?
    And then why would Marilyn ...of all people .....particularly interest her?
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-10-2020 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    This part of the story I find curious. Was Ross in the habit of managing other acts ? If so , who else has she managed?
    And then why would Marilyn ...of all people .....particularly interest her?
    She managed Micki Free of Shalamar.

Diana was trying hard to prove to Berry Gordy that she could manage acts like him.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    She managed Micki Free of Shalamar.
    Hmmmm ....seems as equally an odd choice to have caught her attention:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to navigation Jump to search
    Micki Free
    Free performing at the Kitchener Bluesfest in 2018
    Background information
    Born May 20, 1955 [[age 64)
    Genres Rock, blues, electric blues, blues rock
    Occupation[[s) Entertainer, musician, songwriter
    Instruments Guitar, Singing, Native American flute, Harmonica,
    Labels Native Music Rocks Records
    Associated acts Micki Free American Horse, Shalamar
    Website The Official Website of Micki Free
    Micki Free [[born May 20, 1955) is a guitarist and singer of Native American descent. He won a Grammy Award for his contribution to the Beverly Hills Cop [[1984) movie soundtrack and has won two Native American Music Awards.[1] He is the director of Promotions and Special Events for the Seminole Tribe of Florida, owners of Hard Rock International.

what does it mean when Ross is 'managing' these people exactly? What is she doing for them??

Didn't she have her own manager??

what does it mean when Ross is 'managing' these people exactly? What is she doing for them??

Didn't she have her own manager??
    She owned her own management company. I think it was called RTC.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Did any of her acts have any success ?

And who were they ? wiki doesn't confirm either Marilyn or Micki being associated with her.
    Seems to be a mysterious part of her career endeavors ....

added: this article mentions one line about Free being managed by Diana Ross:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120712...m/bio/bio.html
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-16-2020 at 03:26 PM.

I really don’t know. Maybe somebody else might know.

Here is Micki Free talking about being managed by Diana Ross before joining Shalamar.

^ Very enlightening. Thanks, Jaap.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    Yeah R[[honda)T[[racee)C[[hudney) Management. She found it shortly after she signed with RCA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Here is Micki Free talking about being managed by Diana Ross before joining Shalamar.
    Good info ! thanks Jaap!
    That seems like it would have been shocking to attend a Diana Ross concert and have it first be opened with the music style presented by Micki Free . [[ Did anyone here witness one of these occurrences?) I wonder how many of her shows he opened...

Wasn't it odd for Diana Ross to have an opening act ? Had she used any before Micki Free?

I know her daughter now does it regularly.

Good info ! thanks Jaap!
    That seems like it would have been shocking to attend a Diana Ross concert and have it first be opened with the music style presented by Micki Free . [[ Did anyone here witness one of these occurrences?) I wonder how many of her shows he opened...

Wasn't it odd for Diana Ross to have an opening act ? Had she used any before Micki Free?

I know her daughter now does it regularly.
    When I saw her in 1979, her opening act was Roger and Roger. After that, I don't remember any other opening acts besides Rhonda except for maybe a local comedian.
    Last edited by reese; 03-23-2020 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    When I saw her in 1979, her opening act was Roger and Roger. Until that, I don't remember any other opening acts besides Rhonda except for maybe a local comedian.
    really reese!? Roger and Roger? Did you enjoy it? I think I'd prefer it to Micki.

[[ I wonder if they did this Temptations send up at her show).............

really reese!? Roger and Roger? Did you enjoy it? I think I'd prefer it to Micki.

[[ I wonder if they did this Temptations send up at her show).............

I did enjoy them. I thought they put on a good show. And yes, they did the Tempts' bit.