[REMOVE ADS]

Sherrick - Baby, I'm For Real

This is a Motown artist rarely spoken of here.....Sherrick!

Sherrick ‎– Baby I'm For Real

Label:

Warner Bros. Records ‎– W 7942

From wikipedia

Sherrick was given his professional break by producer Raynoma Gordy Singleton [[née Mayberry), former wife of Motown founder Berry Gordy.[2] Sherrick was the lead singer of the Motown group, Kagny, who recorded a song for the Motown movie, The Last Dragon.[2]

He signed with Warner Bros. Records in 1987, co-producing an album with Michael Stokes and with Ray Singleton as an executive producer. The album, titled Sherrick, included "Just Call" which reached number 8 in the US Billboard R&B chart. A version of the Originals' major hit of the late 1960s, "Baby I'm for Real" also charted, peaking at number 53. He also had two entries in the UK Singles Chart in 1987.[1] These were "Just Call" [[number 23) and "Let's Be Lovers Tonight" [[number 63).[1] In addition, his album, Sherrick reached number 27 in the UK Albums Chart the same year.[1]

He died in Los Angeles, California, on January 22, 1999, at the age of 41. He is survived by his widow Lynne Conner-Smith and three children, Kiriandra, Paris and Chance Smith.[2]

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    From wikipedia

Sherrick was given his professional break by producer Raynoma Gordy Singleton [[née Mayberry), former wife of Motown founder Berry Gordy.[2] Sherrick was the lead singer of the Motown group, Kagny, who recorded a song for the Motown movie, The Last Dragon.[2]

He signed with Warner Bros. Records in 1987, co-producing an album with Michael Stokes and with Ray Singleton as an executive producer. The album, titled Sherrick, included "Just Call" which reached number 8 in the US Billboard R&B chart. A version of the Originals' major hit of the late 1960s, "Baby I'm for Real" also charted, peaking at number 53. He also had two entries in the UK Singles Chart in 1987.[1] These were "Just Call" [[number 23) and "Let's Be Lovers Tonight" [[number 63).[1] In addition, his album, Sherrick reached number 27 in the UK Albums Chart the same year.[1]

He died in Los Angeles, California, on January 22, 1999, at the age of 41. He is survived by his widow Lynne Conner-Smith and three children, Kiriandra, Paris and Chance Smith.[2]
    Thank you mysterysinger for filling in the gaps with that information. Much appreciated.

"Just Call" is a bit of a tune... and nice version of "Baby I'm For Real"

I remember the group Kagney and the Dirty Rats on Motown. They had one album as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by blkfrost View Post
    I remember the group Kagney and the Dirty Rats on Motown. They had one album as I recall.
    That's them! That's the group Sherrick was a member of.

Raymona Singleton [[Gordy) writes extensively about Sherrick in her book "Berry, Me and Motown". Blues and Soul magazine named 'Just Call' as record of the year 1987. Impact magazine proclaimed him as 'New Artist of the Year 1987'. He had a lot of talent.

However, Raymona relates the most distressing history of just what a hopeless, heartrending challenge it was to mentor Sherrick from the outset and manage him through the 4 years they worked together. Despite her strenuous and selfless efforts, Sherrick would never fulfil his promise. Tragic outcome for both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Raymona Singleton [[Gordy) writes extensively about Sherrick in her book "Berry, Me and Motown". Blues and Soul magazine named 'Just Call' as record of the year 1987. Impact magazine proclaimed him as 'New Artist of the Year 1987'. He had a lot of talent.

However, Raymona relates the most distressing history of just what a hopeless, heartrending challenge it was to mentor Sherrick from the outset and manage him through the 4 years they worked together. Despite her strenuous and selfless efforts, Sherrick would never fulfil his promise. Tragic outcome for both of them.
    I also recall that there may have been some drug issues.

Hi Marv,

according to Raymona, a lost soul to drugs........in her book, she refers observing David Ruffin and the same grip these things have. Raymona states Sherrick basically wrecked himself and took her down with him. Distressing reading.
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 03-06-2020 at 05:05 PM.

Hi Marv,
    Raymona states Sherrick was a lost cause to drugs. She says so many, including Benny Medina, gave him every support and opportunity but he was beyond saving. She claims she witnessed the same issue with a David Ruffin. Tragic doesn’t even begin to describe the curse of drugs. Sherrick Left behind a very loving family. Too sad all around
    Last edited by MIKEW-UK; 03-06-2020 at 05:21 PM.

Hi Marv,
    Raymona states Sherrick was a lost cause to drugs. She says so many, including Benny Medina, gave him every support and opportunity but he was beyond saving. She claims she witnessed the same issue with a David Ruffin. Tragic doesn’t even begin to describe the curse of drugs. Sherrick Left behind a very loving family. Too sad all around
    It is always so sad, especially when some people believe that a person that becomes hooked on drugs is not a good person. I have seen a few really good, decent people fall prey to them.

This article provides detail to yet another gifted singer who succumbed to drugs.

"THE TRAGIC DOWNFALL/DEATH OF SINGER WITH PROMISE "

Sherrick was a dynamic singer with an incredible range. He also had charisma, sex appeal and he was tall and handsome.
    In the 80's he could have easily been as successful as Luther Vandross and Freddie Jackson, unfortunately, he never reached his full potential.
    Like Sly Stone, David Ruffin and Jimi Hendrix, Sherrick fell victim to drugs.
    Backstory:
    Sherrick was discovered by Raynoma Gordy [[Berry Gordy's ex-wife). They formed a production company. Raynoma also managed his career and promised him a contract with Motown.
    After the meeting, she didn't hear from him for two weeks. Out of the blue, he called her from Austin, TX., and arranged for her to pick him up from the airport.
    Raynoma became his mentor and he even moved in with her for a short time. Instead of signing with Motown, Raynoma got him a contract with Warner Brothers records, at that time, Benny Medina headed up the black division.
    A few weeks later, Raynoma was standing in a hall outside of Sherrick's hospital door. He had disappeared again for three days, and Raynoma had received a call from his girlfriend [[Rita) saying that Sherrick had turned up in the hospital.
    When Raynoma went to visit him, he burst into tears and told her he was addicted to cocaine.
    Sherrick agreed to check into a 28 day rehab program at the hospital. He made excellent progress. When he was released, Raynoma took him home and was preparing steaks he quietly took her car keys, slipped out of a side door and disappeared. His rehabilitation had lasted less than 8 hours.
    At 4 a.m. in the morning, he called asking her to come at once and meet him in downtown L.A. with $100 dollars. She borrowed a friend's car and drove through the most nightmarish section of the city, where no one was safe, day or night.
    She saw him. Her headlights reflected off a lone, frightened figure, standing disheveled and without shoes, a walking corpse.
    "Where's my car?" she demanded.
    "Give me the money and wait right here," Sherrick said. Taking the cash, he disappeared down a dark alley.
    A few minutes later, Raynoma saw her car coasting in her direction, a stranger at the wheel.
    This scenario would play out again. Only it was a worse neighborhood and he needed two hundred dollars. The same cycle, the same impassioned pledge that nothing could shake his commitment to his career. When it happened the third time, I met him at the appointed place, an even more hellish hole, I watched him disappear down the alley not to return at all.
    The next night Rita called. "Sherrick's in the hospital, he's been shot."
    On first sight, Raynoma had thought it had been a mistake. His lips were swollen twice their normal size. Black and blue bruising all over his face. Five scars gouged into his forehead. Stitches in his eyelids and cheeks. The once proud and handsome face had been obliterated.
    Rita finally took me out in the hall. In between sobs, she said she loved him and they were supposed to get married and Lionel Richie was going to sing at the wedding.
    Sherrick would stay clean for a year and in August of 1987, he released a smash single titled, "Just Call." The record took off like wildfire, he became an overnight sensation. One publication voted the record "single of the year." It became the number one most requested R&B record in the country.
    Sherrick went on tour but soon disappeared. The old pattern returned.
    When Sherrick reappeared, he was given an advance to start work on his second album. The tracks would remain unfinished. Before the vocals had been completed, Sherrick disappeared with $20,000 dollars, the majority of the advance money.
    Raynoma stopped working with him as well as music executives.
    Sherrick died in Los Angeles, California in January 1999, at the age of 41. He is survived by a wife and three children.On first sight, Raynoma had thought it had been a mistake. His lips were swollen twice their normal size. Black and blue bruising all over his face. Five scars gouged into his forehead. Stitches in his eyelids and cheeks. The once proud and handsome face had been obliterated.
    Rita finally took me out in the hall. In between sobs, she said she loved him and they were supposed to get married and Lionel Richie was going to sing at the wedding.
    Sherrick would stay clean for a year and in August of 1987, he released a smash single titled, "Just Call." The record took off like wildfire, he became an overnight sensation. One publication voted the record "single of the year." It became the number one most requested R&B record in the country.
    Sherrick went on tour but soon disappeared. The old pattern returned.
    When Sherrick reappeared, he was given an advance to start work on his second album. The tracks would remain unfinished. Before the vocals had been completed, Sherrick disappeared with $20,000 dollars, the majority of the advance money.
    Raynoma stopped working with him as well as music executives.
    Sherrick died in Los Angeles, California in January 1999, at the age of 41. He is survived by a wife and three children.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That's them! That's the group Sherrick was a member of.
    Wow! I had the only copy of their album that I knew of here and played it out. Motown's answer to Punk Funk. I had no idea Sherrick was in KATDR.

With that said, his story is a sad one. He had talent but would die as a one hit wonder [[Call Me peaked at 8 but Baby, I'm For Real only made it to 53). With that said, he's remembered more for that hit than the tragedy of his life, which is more than can be said for most.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Wow! I had the only copy of their album that I knew of here and played it out. Motown's answer to Punk Funk. I had no idea Sherrick was in KATDR.

With that said, his story is a sad one. He had talent but would die as a one hit wonder [[Call Me peaked at 8 but Baby, I'm For Real only made it to 53). With that said, he's remembered more for that hit than the tragedy of his life, which is more than can be said for most.
    It kind of reminds me of Colonel Abrams story. Sad.

Sad to hear.

Hi Marv,
    Surely Raynoma rather than Raymona ??

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Surely Raynoma rather than Raymona ??
    oops, I trnsaposed teh lettres ni hre naem. Hoep I’ve nto becoem
    Dyslexci.