[REMOVE ADS]

5th Dimension - Love's Lines, Angles and Rhymes [[1971)

This is so great in my opinion:

5D stole this song from Diana Ross, who had recorded it a year before they did. Anyone claiming any level of knowledge of soul/r&b music would know this.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 02-28-2020 at 08:57 PM.

Always loved this by The 5th. Perfect follow up to One Less Bell. Marilyn McCoo has one of the most beautiful voices ever. I also really liked the next single, Light Sings, which didn't fare well but it did with me.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    Always loved this by The 5th. Perfect follow up to One Less Bell. Marilyn McCoo has one of the most beautiful voices ever. I also really liked the next single, Light Sings, which didn't fare well but it did with me.
    I'll put it this way. If I can remember this particular song by Marilyn McCoo and the 5th Dimension from 1971 from the 1000s of songs and recordings I've heard in the years since, this really had to be something special! It was!

Hey Nathanj06, I remember "Light Sings" another great song:

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    5D stole this song from Diana Ross, who had recorded it a year before they did. Anyone claiming any level of knowledge of soul/r&b music would know this.
    Diana did a fantastic version of this, and i am amazed it stayed in the vault for so long. It should have been included on Everything is Everything. I also love the 5D version. It is a beautiful song that is very difficult to sing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Diana did a fantastic version of this, and i am amazed it stayed in the vault for so long. It should have been included on Everything is Everything. I also love the 5D version. It is a beautiful song that is very difficult to sing.
    Right?? Diana's was a tad 'darker', 5D's a tad more radio-ready. Not a huge single for them but a hit nonetheless and had good airplay here in the NYC-metro area. Certainly a rather complicated lyric for AM radio play!

Always a joy to hear "Light Sings" and The 5th. Probably the best harmonies ever along with The Mamas & The Papas. However I have to hand it to The 5th for several reasons but they did take a Mamas & Papas track, "Go Where You Wanna Go" and nailed it. That was actually supposed to be The Mamas & Papas first single but they pulled it from radio stations and then released "California Dreamin'" instead which was a wise choice. Both versions of "Go" were very similar. There's a very cool clip of Marilyn & Billy on youtube describing how "Aquarius" came to be. Great story. Thanks for the "Light Sings" clip marv.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    Always a joy to hear "Light Sings" and The 5th. Probably the best harmonies ever along with The Mamas & The Papas. However I have to hand it to The 5th for several reasons but they did take a Mamas & Papas track, "Go Where You Wanna Go" and nailed it. That was actually supposed to be The Mamas & Papas first single but they pulled it from radio stations and then released "California Dreamin'" instead which was a wise choice. Both versions of "Go" were very similar. There's a very cool clip of Marilyn & Billy on youtube describing how "Aquarius" came to be. Great story. Thanks for the "Light Sings" clip marv.
    You're welcome Nathan! I also would add The Friends of Distinction to the list of best harmony groups if there is such a list. The 5th Dimension would be close to or at the top of my list!

And if there is such a "harmony" list, besides the 5th and Friends, I would also add the 4 Tops, the Dells, & Gladys & The Pips.

Marv...you still-da man-great stuff as always!!

Quote Originally Posted by stingbeelee View Post
    And if there is such a "harmony" list, besides the 5th and Friends, I would also add the 4 Tops, the Dells, & Gladys & The Pips.
    Oh most definitely!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Marv...you still-da man-great stuff as always!!
    Thanks JAI!!!

I love the 5th Dimension. It seems so odd now, but during their time they were often criticized for sounding too "white." I guess just like singers like Dusty Springfield were sometimes criticized for trying to sound "black." It seems strange now that those things seemed so important back then. Go figure.

Has anyone ever played the two 5D albums that were released on Motown? Of course McCoo and Davis were gone by then, but I think the other three were still in the group with two newer singers. I have both albums but honestly don't remember every playing either one.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I love the 5th Dimension. It seems so odd now, but during their time they were often criticized for sounding too "white." I guess just like singers like Dusty Springfield were sometimes criticized for trying to sound "black." It seems strange now that those things seemed so important back then. Go figure.

Has anyone ever played the two 5D albums that were released on Motown? Of course McCoo and Davis were gone by then, but I think the other three were still in the group with two newer singers. I have both albums but honestly don't remember every playing either one.
    I know what you mean, but I really appreciated their sound. They did not sound like everyone else and the majority of their music was beyond just pleasant. It was a nice, clean sound with excellent harmonies.