[REMOVE ADS]

A choreographer talk about working with Diana.

Vincent Paterson published this book in France in 2018. I don't think it was published in the US or elsewhere.
    He worked with Michael Jackson, Madonna, staged a major show in LA with Barbra Streisand, Elton John, Minnelli, Patti Labelle and others...

Vincent Paterson just released his own autobiography and will be available on September 5th so far only in France. The book is called “Icônes et Instincts” will tell you everything you need to know about Vincent and his extraordinary career working with Bjork, Madonna and of course Michael Jackson

I'v done my best to translate, with the help of google translate.

He talk about Diana three time in the book. As a child watching The Supremes, during the Pieces of Ice clip and in 1989.

"The third and last experience I shared with Diana was in the late 1980s when she called me to ask me to choreograph and stage her new world tour. She had seen Michael Jackson's Bad Tour, and obviously they had talked about it. I was taken to Connecticut. We were in my beautiful, spacious room overlooking her lush estate. My concept was to make Diana appear as a Lady Day, performing moving songs like Good Morning Heartache and Strange Fruit, perhaps accompanied by a saxophone and double bass.

I admired Diana so much. I wanted to create an evening that would include not only her most popular songs but also songs that she didn't usually perform in her concerts. I spent several weeks in L.A. creating this show. The orchestra rehearsed in one room while the dancers and backup singers worked with me in another room. Diana called me to make sure everyone was working hard and to let me know that she would be in L.A. soon to learn the show. Everyone was happy. Even more so, her managers, the music director, the backup singers, the musicians and the dancers, all were over the moon. Everyone who knew Diana and had worked with her for years told me that this was exactly what she needed to revitalize her career as a female superstar. The show was fresh and gave both traditional and new fans what they were expecting, as well as some electrifying surprises. Apparently, all this excitement was arousing her curiosity. She asked me to videotape a rehearsal to give her an idea of what the show looked like. This would allow her to start learning the choreography from a distance. I borrowed a VHS camera and set it up in the rehearsal room. I wanted to show her the basic structure of the concert and the range of musical selections I had made to get her excited. There was a minimum of choreography for her and a lot around to make the show grand. That day, when we finished, I gave the recording to her management team, who made a copy and sent it to her. Three days later, in the studio, there was quite a commotion among the music directors, some of whom were longtime members of the management team. Something was obviously going on, but none of us knew what it was. Finally, I was told that Diana wanted to talk to me on the phone. "Hey, Diana, it's Vincent. How's it going?"
    Last edited by Albator; 02-27-2020 at 03:37 AM.

"what are you trying to do to me?" she shouted on the other end of the phone. Are you trying to destroy my career? Where are my hits?"

I was taken by surprise. "Your tubes? Well, Diana, I said, all those songs are your hits. They're all number one. I haven't used anything but his songs that people like. To me, all your songs are extraordinary. »

"I don't care. Where are my hits? My HITS?! »

"Diana, I'm like your audience, and these are the songs I'd like to hear you sing. I also thought it would be great if there were more theatrical moments... "I continued to stand up for what I had created. I said how much I thought it was exactly the kind of show that everyone involved wanted. She kept repeating, "Can you hear me? Where are my hits? My HITS?! »

"Diana, I'm like your audience, and these are the songs I'd like to hear you sing. I also thought it would be great if there were more theatrical moments... "I continued to stand up for what I had created. I said how much I thought it was exactly the kind of show that everyone involved wanted. She kept repeating, "Can you hear me? Where are my hits? My TUBES?! »

"You want to make a list with me because you never told me which songs should be in the show, I suggested. I thought you'd like my choice."

"No," she said. I'm not doing that show. We'll discuss it when I come to L.A."

She shut up and handed the phone to her manager. "Miss Ross said, 'Tell him to fire all the dancers. Then we'll see what her idea is." " Sadly, I told the dancers that the show was over. I felt responsible because they had lost their contracts and money. But they were just as confused as I was when we hugged and kissed and left the studio. I wondered why I hadn't been fired, since it was my fault. Then I remembered that I was under a pay or play contract, which meant that Miss Ross had to pay me whether I finished the job or not. I sensed that our future conversation would be about whether she would get her money's worth or whether she would simply bear the loss.

The next night, I invited the recently fired dancers to dinner at my house to commiserate. They were very disappointed, as was I. It seemed important that we be together and support each other. After dinner, we decided to watch the video that had been sent to Diana. Oh, my God! When we watched it, we quickly understood what had aroused her anger. It's hard to say what was most shocking in the video that was sent to her. There was a ballad, sung in playback by one of the singers in the foreground of the image in the
    Diana's place. Fortuitously, at the back of the picture, two dancers were practicing dance steps that they had to perform with Diana in other sequences of the show. They took turns playing Diana's part while they danced together. They looked like they were doing some kind of gay erotic ballet. So, yeah, it looked ridiculous, especially if you didn't know it was a mistake. And how could she know it wasn't choreographed that way? And that wasn't all.

The dancers thought the camera had stopped filming. In a moment of innocent levity, several of them put on a huge afro wig and did an impression of Diane. They added to it by calling themselves "Miss Ross", the golden rule they had to follow. One of the dancers imitated Diana's stage character in a Saturday Night Live-like sketch singing Touch Me in the Morning!

Obviously, Miss Ross did not perceive any humour in this sequence. Maybe she wasn't the type to laugh at herself. Unfortunately, I was never able to ask her that question.

I was paid the contract salary without having choreographed a single moment of Diana's tour. In fact, I was also fired. I was sad that I didn't have the opportunity to create what could have been a fantastic evening and perhaps could have brought Miss Ross back into the contemporary world. We'll never know.

I've been looking for that video for years. I can't find it. Shit.

^
    Albator, thank you so much for taking the time to translate and post the article. It's very much appreciated. It had me laughing out loud so much it could almost be a comedy sketch. I wonder if a video still exists?.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    "what are you trying to do to me?" she shouted on the other end of the phone. Are you trying to destroy my career? Where are my hits?"

I was taken by surprise. "Your tubes? Well, Diana, I said, all those songs are your hits. They're all number one. I haven't used anything but his songs that people like. To me, all your songs are extraordinary. »

"I don't care. Where are my hits? My HITS?! »

"Diana, I'm like your audience, and these are the songs I'd like to hear you sing. I also thought it would be great if there were more theatrical moments... "I continued to stand up for what I had created. I said how much I thought it was exactly the kind of show that everyone involved wanted. She kept repeating, "Can you hear me? Where are my hits? My HITS?! »

"Diana, I'm like your audience, and these are the songs I'd like to hear you sing. I also thought it would be great if there were more theatrical moments... "I continued to stand up for what I had created. I said how much I thought it was exactly the kind of show that everyone involved wanted. She kept repeating, "Can you hear me? Where are my hits? My TUBES?! »

"You want to make a list with me because you never told me which songs should be in the show, I suggested. I thought you'd like my choice."

"No," she said. I'm not doing that show. We'll discuss it when I come to L.A."

She shut up and handed the phone to her manager. "Miss Ross said, 'Tell him to fire all the dancers. Then we'll see what her idea is." " Sadly, I told the dancers that the show was over. I felt responsible because they had lost their contracts and money. But they were just as confused as I was when we hugged and kissed and left the studio. I wondered why I hadn't been fired, since it was my fault. Then I remembered that I was under a pay or play contract, which meant that Miss Ross had to pay me whether I finished the job or not. I sensed that our future conversation would be about whether she would get her money's worth or whether she would simply bear the loss.

The next night, I invited the recently fired dancers to dinner at my house to commiserate. They were very disappointed, as was I. It seemed important that we be together and support each other. After dinner, we decided to watch the video that had been sent to Diana. Oh, my God! When we watched it, we quickly understood what had aroused her anger. It's hard to say what was most shocking in the video that was sent to her. There was a ballad, sung in playback by one of the singers in the foreground of the image in the
    Diana's place. Fortuitously, at the back of the picture, two dancers were practicing dance steps that they had to perform with Diana in other sequences of the show. They took turns playing Diana's part while they danced together. They looked like they were doing some kind of gay erotic ballet. So, yeah, it looked ridiculous, especially if you didn't know it was a mistake. And how could she know it wasn't choreographed that way? And that wasn't all.

The dancers thought the camera had stopped filming. In a moment of innocent levity, several of them put on a huge afro wig and did an impression of Diane. They added to it by calling themselves "Miss Ross", the golden rule they had to follow. One of the dancers imitated Diana's stage character in a Saturday Night Live-like sketch singing Touch Me in the Morning!

Obviously, Miss Ross did not perceive any humour in this sequence. Maybe she wasn't the type to laugh at herself. Unfortunately, I was never able to ask her that question.

I was paid the contract salary without having choreographed a single moment of Diana's tour. In fact, I was also fired. I was sad that I didn't have the opportunity to create what could have been a fantastic evening and perhaps could have brought Miss Ross back into the contemporary world. We'll never know.

I've been looking for that video for years. I can't find it. Shit.
    That sounds very much like the Diana i know and love. Sometimes you cannot do right for wrong. It is always a rollercoaster ride, and it is never ever dull!!
    Diana is the last person who knows what is right for her career, but she is way more interested in talking than listening.
    That is a great read Albator. It made me laugh out loud. Thank you so much.

OMG that's funny !! I am sure Diana was not laughing. I can see how things like this would be twisted had you not gave the interpretation.

It is too bad that the tape Diana received was messed up. In her 1989 VANITY FAIR profile, Diana mentioned that she was having a choreographer coming in to stage the new show. But I think she also expressed some hesitancy to change.

I was curious as to what he was going to do. When I saw her that summer, the show was really good, and including some songs I wasn't expecting to hear. But I didn't see anything that required a choreographer. Now I know why. I am curious to know what his set list was.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    OMG that's funny !! I am sure Diana was not laughing. I can see how things like this would be twisted had you not gave the interpretation.
    She would not have found it in the least bit funny. Luckily we do!

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    It is too bad that the tape Diana received was messed up. In her 1989 VANITY FAIR profile, Diana mentioned that she was having a choreographer coming in to stage the new show. But I think she also expressed some hesitancy to change.

I was curious as to what he was going to do. When I saw her that summer, the show was really good, and including some songs I wasn't expecting to hear. But I didn't see anything that required a choreographer. Now I know why. I am curious to know what his set list was.
    I was intrigued by her 1989 Vanity Fair interview. She talked about a choreographer doing something new, and also how she was afraid to change things.
    "what I am doing works and I'm afraid that if I change it will not... But I have to grow".
    It's my recollection of the interview. Than she said she wanted to be photographed with no make up to show the real thing!.
    Than, 2 month latter, I saw her in Paris and it was the same act she was doing in 1985, except she had other gowns and 4 awful WO songs.
    On the Tour Book, there are one or two rather unflattering pictures, and I suppose they are from that photographer she talked about in the interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Diana is the last person who knows what is right for her career, but she is way more interested in talking than listening.
    That is why things fell apart for her, and many fans walked away.

What a hilarious story ! A bunch of girlfriends farting around in front of the camera mocking Diana Ross. Didn't Vincent tell them to be on their absolute best behavior as this was being taped and sent to Miss Ross!!!lol! And why would Vince not review what the heck he was sending her !!

She was absolutely right to run for the hills!

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    What a hilarious story ! A bunch of girlfriends farting around in front of the camera mocking Diana Ross. Didn't Vincent tell them to be on their absolute best behavior as this was being taped and sent to Miss Ross!!!lol! And why would Vince not review what the heck he was sending her !!

Exactly. Who sends a tape without viewing first. He deserves to be fired!

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

Those were my feelings exactly when I read it ---

Well this is how you last for 60 years - you care and you pay attention.

Singers that hit it big have to know that there is more to it than fur coats, big cares, pot and cocaine, parties and the high life; those that figure it out last - Otis Williams for one; but they aren't necessarily popular. For those that don't figure it out while the money is still flowing, it can make for a not very nice change of life when the hits stop.

If this is true as written, it’s so sad. Yes, how stoooooopid to send an unviewed tape, but damn she needed a new show and still does!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    If this is true as written, it’s so sad. Yes, how stoooooopid to send an unviewed tape, but damn she needed a new show and still does!
    Good Lord, she sure as hell does !! Her shows have been stale for decades.

lol when I read this article, I knew nobody could say 'that sounds fake to me' as it sounds like 100% Miss Ross.

I agree that it was stupid to send an un-viewed video though. I wonder which songs she didn't consider her 'HITS'. I know 'Strange Fruit' is more of a rarity in her shows, but can't see why she hated the idea of GMH in there.

I'm assuming her 'TUBES' were her tunes?

Anyway, I look forward to hearing how she loved his choreography in 'Pieces of Ice' and predicted the song would be her biggest hit of the 80s..
    Last edited by Levi Stubbs Tears; 02-27-2020 at 11:09 PM.

She was too afraid to change and jumped at the chance to stop it all.
    In many interviews, it was realized that she did not have a developed sense of self-mockery.

However, it seems to me that after the disastrous period in 2000, she became cooler, much cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    lol when I read this article, I knew nobody could say 'that sounds fake to me' as it sounds like 100% Miss Ross.

I agree that it was stupid to send an un-viewed video though. I wonder which songs she didn't consider her 'HITS'. I know 'Strange Fruit' is more of a rarity in her shows, but can't see why she hated the idea of GMH in there.

I'm assuming her 'TUBES' were her tunes?

Anyway, I look forward to hearing how she loved his choreography in 'Pieces of Ice' and predicted the song would be her biggest hit of the 80s..
    this is the french translation for a big hit.

I'd been mad too if someone presented me such a tacky video like that..

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    I was intrigued by her 1989 Vanity Fair interview. She talked about a choreographer doing something new, and also how she was afraid to change things.
    "what I am doing works and I'm afraid that if I change it will not... But I have to grow".
    It's my recollection of the interview. Than she said she wanted to be photographed with no make up to show the real thing!.
    Than, 2 month latter, I saw her in Paris and it was the same act she was doing in 1985, except she had other gowns and 4 awful WO songs.
    On the Tour Book, there are one or two rather unflattering pictures, and I suppose they are from that photographer she talked about in the interview.
    Thanks for sharing the translation. It's a funny story but also kind of sad. She desperately needed something new at that stage in her career. WO cemented her as someone who could not have continued success as a recording artist. It is a marvel that she has continued to be a star attraction with an unchanged set list for the last 30 years. It hurts to imagine what she could have been if she'd had a little faith and invested in a spectacle show like Cher, Bette Midler or Tina Turner.

Change was Diana's kryptonite lol

What Cher, Tina and Aretha adapted, Diana never quite got it.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Change was Diana's kryptonite lol
    That's a good one....
    Diana could perform her show while sleeping. I guess it's easy money for less effort...............Huge shame.

Honestly, I don't think it's fair even if it's factual. What she does now, and since 1981, is basically the best for her.

Watching videos of the "Return to love tour", or even the TMH tour makes me realize that I don't care for dancers and all. Only Diana counts.
    It's just that I regret she doesn't look at her back catalogue

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Thanks for sharing the translation. It's a funny story but also kind of sad. She desperately needed something new at that stage in her career. WO cemented her as someone who could not have continued success as a recording artist. It is a marvel that she has continued to be a star attraction with an unchanged set list for the last 30 years. It hurts to imagine what she could have been if she'd had a little faith and invested in a spectacle show like Cher, Bette Midler or Tina Turner.
    I think we have to take into account that it seems Diana did not want that sort of major undertaking anymore, particularly with all the travel and publicity/interviews required. And has been stated before, Diana was more involved with family matters. Tina's sons were long on their own, and Bette and Cher just had one child each [[I know - Cher has two - but apparently was rather estranged from Elijah Blue early on). Worth remembering as well that Cher, Bette, and Tina each had their share of bad / underperforming lps and dud single releases.