[REMOVE ADS]

The Supremes Singles-Chart-History

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    This chart listing is very interesting. Thanks Jack020.

Always interesting to see how tastes vary in different countries.

Clicking on the Diana Ross link Why Do Fools Fall In Love was a #1 hit and My Old Piano #2 while Ain't No Mountain High Enough and Chain Reaction failed to make the top 40!

Go figure.

Notable too that post-Diana and including the FourTops duets the Supremes singles mostly peaked higher in the UK than the US.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Notable too that post-Diana and including the FourTops duets the Supremes singles mostly peaked higher in the UK than the US.
    Yes they did, but certain singles such as Everybody's got the right to love and your wonderful sweet sweet love languished in the 50's and 60's, and the likes of Touch and Early morning love totally missed the top 100.

in the Four Tops 50th Anniversary cd package of their singles, they include all of the internationally released duet singles with the Supremes. The Tamla Motown team was clearly trying to make something happen over there. Like the Supremes, the Tops were doing quite a bit better in the UK in the early 70s than in the US. Both groups had scored multiple top 10 records in that market.

so makes sense that the duets might click more - at least had they been really strong songs. River Deep did well but Gotta Have Love didn't do much [[only went to #25 even with the tv performance).

also with the international releases in the early 70s, the schedule was a little more thought out

ladder April 70
    Everybody jul 70
    Stoned Jan 71
    River June 71
    Nathan Aug 71
    Gotta have love Nov 71

Was touch actually released internationally? i've never found any release info for it. And given how it tanked in the US, i though Tamla Motown passes on it.

other discrepancies between US and international releases include:

Tossin and Turning [[released in June 73)
    Early Morning Love [[release in lieu of Where Do I Go From Here)
    Love I Never Knew [[released in lieu of Let Yourself Go)

Internationally, additional duets were released:
    I Second That Emotion [[as opposed to The Weight)
    Why Must be fall in love
    Rhythm of Life [[Australia only)
    Without the one you love
    Reach out and touch

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    also with the international releases in the early 70s, the schedule was a little more thought out

ladder April 70
    Everybody jul 70
    Stoned Jan 71
    River June 71
    Nathan Aug 71
    Gotta have love Nov 71

Was touch actually released internationally? i've never found any release info for it. And given how it tanked in the US, i though Tamla Motown passes on it.

other discrepancies between US and international releases include:

Tossin and Turning [[released in June 73)
    Early Morning Love [[release in lieu of Where Do I Go From Here)
    Love I Never Knew [[released in lieu of Let Yourself Go)

Internationally, additional duets were released:
    I Second That Emotion [[as opposed to The Weight)
    Why Must be fall in love
    Rhythm of Life [[Australia only)
    Without the one you love
    Reach out and touch
    Touch was released in the UK, but got little or no airplay. It was a disastrous choice as the follow up to the top 5 hit Nathan Jones.

Sorry Bluebrock but "Floy Joy" was the follow up to "Nathan Jones" here in the U.k with a duet with The Four Tops in between..."Touch" was never released here in the U.K.

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    Sorry Bluebrock but "Floy Joy" was the follow up to "Nathan Jones" here in the U.k with a duet with The Four Tops in between..."Touch" was never released here in the U.K.
    Really? I thought i had the UK 7" single, but i must have been mistaken. No need to apologise. It should be me apologising. Thank you for the clarification.

'Touch' is a beautiful song but no way should it have been a single! That's why Motown UK passed on it.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    'Touch' is a beautiful song but no way should it have been a single! That's why Motown UK passed on it.

I think people just used to upbeat type songs from the Supremes.

Perhaps Marv, but it was just not commercial. Pity.

Touch was one of my favourite songs but someone was completely deluded to think it was a single

I think Marv Could be right...the U.K was used to much more uptempo stuff from the Supremes...."Everybody Needs Somebody" was at a slower pace than a a lot of their releases and that failed to chart....Its surprising Motown U.K didnt go for a different track from the album and put "Touch" on the B side as they did with a lot of singles .

I always thought that 'Touch' would end up on a 'b' side but it didn't!

Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
    I think Marv Could be right...the U.K was used to much more uptempo stuff from the Supremes...."Everybody Needs Somebody" was at a slower pace than a a lot of their releases and that failed to chart....Its surprising Motown U.K didnt go for a different track from the album and put "Touch" on the B side as they did with a lot of singles .
    Everybody's got the right to love didn't make the UK top 50, but it did sneak into the lower end of the charts.

Supremes singles that made the Breakers in UK:

Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart
    Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love [[#1 on Breakers)

with Four Tops:

Without The One You Love

Re-issue of Where Did Our Love Go in 1974
    Re-issue of Stoned Love in 1976

Diana Ross singles which made Breakers:

Good Morning Heartache
    One Love In My Lifetime [[#1 on Breakers)

with Marvin Gaye:

You're A Special Part Of Me
    My Mistake

Supremes singles that made the Breakers in UK:

Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart
    Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love [[#1 on Breakers)

with Four Tops:

Without The One You Love

Re-issue of Where Did Our Love Go in 1974
    Re-issue of Stoned Love in 1976

Diana Ross singles which made Breakers:

Good Morning Heartache
    One Love In My Lifetime [[#1 on Breakers)

with Marvin Gaye:

You're A Special Part Of Me
    My Mistake
    Everbody's got the right to love peaked in the 70's. I was given access to the top 100 charts which were not officially released to the general public. That's where i saw it.

In the early 70s the Record Mirror only published a very short list of Breakers which is why a song in the 70s range probably didn't get into it.

I wouldn't be surprised if The Supremes had a few other top 100 entries.

Only a couple of Diana singles missed the top 100 altogether.

for the Sups in the UK in the 70s, they released:

Ladder 6
    Everybody --
    Stoned Love 3
    River Deep 11
    Nathan 5
    Gotta have love 25
    Floy Joy 9
    Auto Sun 10
    Without the one you love --
    Your Wonderful sweet sweet love --
    I guess i'll miss the man --
    Reach out and touch --
    Bad Weather 37
    Tossin and Turnin --
    He's my man --
    Early morning love --
    I'm gonna let my heart --
    Driving wheel --
    Love i never knew you could feel so good --

What sort of curious is, after Auto Sunshine, things just sort of stopped. BW crept into Top 40 but that's it. for an act with SOOOO many top ten hits in the early 70s, things just seemed to die

for the Sups in the UK in the 70s, they released:

Ladder 6
    Everybody --
    Stoned Love 3
    River Deep 11
    Nathan 5
    Gotta have love 25
    Floy Joy 9
    Auto Sun 10
    Without the one you love --
    Your Wonderful sweet sweet love --
    I guess i'll miss the man --
    Reach out and touch --
    Bad Weather 37
    Tossin and Turnin --
    He's my man --
    Early morning love --
    I'm gonna let my heart --
    Driving wheel --
    Love i never knew you could feel so good --

What sort of curious is, after Auto Sunshine, things just sort of stopped. BW crept into Top 40 but that's it. for an act with SOOOO many top ten hits in the early 70s, things just seemed to die
    The quality of the music took a dip and people in the UK began to lose interest just like they had done in the USA. Every group has a shelf life.

yeah but this is a cliff. to go from a #10 to total nothing. that's a bit more abrupt than normal

perhaps the MJL lineup should have toured UK earlier. tried to keep the momentum from the MJC tour in late 71

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Touch was one of my favourite songs but someone was completely deluded to think it was a single
    that’s a problem some folks have: They think because they like a song that it would’ve been a hit record and often one has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

yeah but this is a cliff. to go from a #10 to total nothing. that's a bit more abrupt than normal

perhaps the MJL lineup should have toured UK earlier. tried to keep the momentum from the MJC tour in late 71
    Perhaps they should, but the Jimmy Webb album was an absolute disaster in every respect. They never recovered from that.
    He's my man got lots of airplay, and the girls performed it on several tv shows, but it flatly refused to chart, and then Mary had her diva strop and stormed out of an interview with the BBC who then refused to play Early Morning Love. One disaster followed another, and they never troubled the charts again.

Bad Weather made the lower regions of the UK top 40 on the back of a concert tour by the group at the time.

They had given out whistles at previous concerts and asked the audience to blow them during their performance of the song.

I was only a very young girl at the time but an older brother took me to see them at the Lewisham Odeon [[in London) complete with whistle!

At another concert at Fairfield Halls Croydon my brother went to the stage door and showed his Fan Club Card to see what would transpire.

Amazingly we were invited to remain in the building after the show had finished and a reception was held on an upper floor - I did get to meet Lynda Lawrence.

Bad Weather made the lower regions of the UK top 40 on the back of a concert tour by the group at the time.

They had given out whistles at previous concerts and asked the audience to blow them during their performance of the song.

I was only a very young girl at the time but an older brother took me to see them at the Lewisham Odeon [[in London) complete with whistle!

At another concert at Fairfield Halls Croydon my brother went to the stage door and showed his Fan Club Card to see what would transpire.

Amazingly we were invited to remain in the building after the show had finished and a reception was held on an upper floor - I did get to meet Lynda Lawrence.
    great memories Florence!! do you remember anything of the shows?

great memories Florence!! do you remember anything of the shows?
    Sorry, no - I was only around 10 at the time and just the couple of things I've mentioned stood out.

I was overwhelmed at meeting Lynda Lawrence and was tongue-tied.