[REMOVE ADS]

Last evening at The Roostertail.....

https://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/brian-mccollum/2020/02/25/temptations-aint-too-proud-to-beg-detroit-preview/4860025002/

I was fortunate enough to attend this event last night courtesy of the Motown Museum. It was my first time being at the Roostertail and a wonderful evening was had by all. We had a table right up by the stage. I wish Otis could have done a longer Q&A session as I know he has so much to share, but I was grateful for the time we did have with him. The young man portraying David Ruffin does actually resemble him quite a bit. All of the performers from the Broadway group did a fine job.

I had taken an extra copy of The Temptin' Temptations, my favorite Tempts album with the hope Otis was going to stay for the whole event and I would have ample opportunity to ask if he would sign it. He ended up leaving immediately after the Q&A was over, so I rushed out to the car, got the album and waited for Otis to get closer to the door. It was taking him quite a while as so many fans were asking for photos with him, and his entourage was trying to get him to the car. There was a very lovely lady with Otis' group and I said to her I bet it's always difficult to get Otis out of any appearance very quickly. She said it always was. I explained I was at the event courtesy of the Motown Museum and did she think Otis might sign my record for me. She said I think he will. So when Otis finally got to her she told him I was a member of the museum and I asked Otis to sign my record and he said absolutely. I ended up getting the only autograph of the night, and a minute with Otis. I thanked him for his part in the Motown story and for taking the time to sign, shook his hand and he was gone. I'm glad I had the chance to do so, it will be another experience I won't forget. I also went up on the Roostertail stage as the event was winding down and stood there for a minute, thinking of all the talent that had graced the stage all those years ago. For some reason I thought of Tammi Terrell most.

It was a great perk for being a member of the Motown Museum. If you don't already support them, please do!
    Darin

Name:  Roostertail.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  27.0 KB

Name:  Otis.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  90.1 KB

Name:  Autograph.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  31.9 KB

Great story Darin and glad you had a good time and got to meet Otis. Back in the day when I was a volunteer at the Museum, I would go to many events with Mrs. Esther Gordy Edwards. She'd always introduce to me as many people as possible.
    Last edited by marv2; 02-27-2020 at 08:41 PM.

Oh wow, what an amazing experience. Beautiful photos. So veryhappy for you. Clearly you’ll never ever forget those magical moments. I’m sureyour impeccable behaviour got you over the line. And your wonderful descriptivewriting makes us feel we were right there by your side. Can’t thank you enoughfor sharing. You the man!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Great story Darin and glad you had a good time and got to meet Otis. Back in the day when I was a volunteer at the Museum, I would go to many events with Mrs. Esther Gordy Edwards. She'd always introduce to as many people as possible.
    Marv, by now, I'm sure you know you have a tell-all or a met-many-celebs book or two waiting for your by line!

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post

https://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/brian-mccollum/2020/02/25/temptations-aint-too-proud-to-beg-detroit-preview/4860025002/

I was fortunate enough to attend this event last night courtesy of the Motown Museum. It was my first time being at the Roostertail and a wonderful evening was had by all. We had a table right up by the stage. I wish Otis could have done a longer Q&A session as I know he has so much to share, but I was grateful for the time we did have with him. The young man portraying David Ruffin does actually resemble him quite a bit. All of the performers from the Broadway group did a fine job.

I had taken an extra copy of The Temptin' Temptations, my favorite Tempts album with the hope Otis was going to stay for the whole event and I would have ample opportunity to ask if he would sign it. He ended up leaving immediately after the Q&A was over, so I rushed out to the car, got the album and waited for Otis to get closer to the door. It was taking him quite a while as so many fans were asking for photos with him, and his entourage was trying to get him to the car. There was a very lovely lady with Otis' group and I said to her I bet it's always difficult to get Otis out of any appearance very quickly. She said it always was. I explained I was at the event courtesy of the Motown Museum and did she think Otis might sign my record for me. She said I think he will. So when Otis finally got to her she told him I was a member of the museum and I asked Otis to sign my record and he said absolutely. I ended up getting the only autograph of the night, and a minute with Otis. I thanked him for his part in the Motown story and for taking the time to sign, shook his hand and he was gone. I'm glad I had the chance to do so, it will be another experience I won't forget. I also went up on the Roostertail stage as the event was winding down and stood there for a minute, thinking of all the talent that had graced the stage all those years ago. For some reason I thought of Tammi Terrell most.

It was a great perk for being a member of the Motown Museum. If you don't already support them, please do!
    Darin

Name:  Roostertail.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  27.0 KB

Name:  Otis.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  90.1 KB

Name:  Autograph.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  31.9 KB

What a blessing to be in the presence of music royalty...

Thank you for the comments all, it was a great experience for sure!
    Darin

Wow darin,i'm envying you right now,not only do i want to meet otis,but[temptin temptations]is also my fav...you da man!!

Quote Originally Posted by MusicWise View Post
    Marv, by now, I'm sure you know you have a tell-all or a met-many-celebs book or two waiting for your by line!
    I have also seen some things that I would never tell. I have been told some things that I will not share. I remember once back in the 80s, this woman that was digging on me was cutting my hair in her basement in Detroit when her uncle stopped by. He told us something on the shocking side about some Motown people that I have not repeated. Another time years later I was on the UWS of Manhattan, I was waiting for a business meeting when in came an older gentleman that happened to be one of Berry Gordy's attorneys back in the 60s. He started blurting out this story to the receptionist that he knew about certain things that went on at Hitsville that I cannot repeat either LOL!

What a great story. The Roosertail is a great place. I may have to look into becoming a member of the Motown Museum.

How great!!!

what a great experience! even the napkin is cool!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    i have also seen some things that i would never tell. I have been told some things that i will not share. I remember once back in the 80s, this woman that was digging on me was cutting my hair in her basement in detroit when her uncle stopped by. He told us something on the shocking side about some motown people that i have not repeated. Another time years later i was on the uws of manhattan, i was waiting for a business meeting when in came an older gentleman that happened to be one of berry gordy's attorneys back in the 60s. He started blurting out this story to the receptionist that he knew about certain things that went on at hitsville that i cannot repeat either lol!
    marv,you dangle these juicy titbits,too be a fly on the wall!!