[REMOVE ADS]

Motown & The Grammys

How in the world did Motown not get a Grammy award until the Temptations’ Cloud Nine?

If you took what most people would agree are the top 100 or 200 songs Motown ever put out I’d bet my bottom dollar the majority of them are pre Cloud Nine

Anyone know what the deal was?

Anyone know how many pre Cloud Nine Motown nominations there were? And what songs were nominated?

Off the top of my head, YOU BEAT ME TO THE PUNCH, HEAT WAVE, BABY LOVE, STOP! IN THE NAME OF LOVE, and AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH were nominated prior to CLOUD NINE.

The biggest problem was there were few categories and it was geared toward easy listening adult contemporary music. Stop in the Name of Love was nominated for best Rock and Roll Recording I believe

Secondly the members were affiliated with big record companies like Columbia and no upstart record company owned by a black man would get the votes of many of them

The real problem was Motown was out of the loop by not belonging to the RIAA, which certified gold records. Motown certified its own million sellers which put them at odds with the industry as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    The real problem was Motown was out of the loop by not belonging to the RIAA, which certified gold records. Motown certified its own million sellers which put them at odds with the industry as a whole.
    Are you aware of any reasoning behind the decision to not belong to the RIAA? My guess is that it would have something to do with either money or accountability.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Are you aware of any reasoning behind the decision to not belong to the RIAA? My guess is that it would have something to do with either money or accountability.
    One of the recent Motown books said that Berry became pissed when he found out that the RIAA knew about the bootlegging of MY GUY that was going on out of the NY office and that he resolved never to join. I don't know whether or not this was true.

I can't say for sure. My view of it was that Motown was this renegade label that danced to its own drummer.I never heard the Berry story so it may or may not be true.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    The biggest problem was there were few categories and it was geared toward easy listening adult contemporary music. Stop in the Name of Love was nominated for best Rock and Roll Recording I believe

Secondly the members were affiliated with big record companies like Columbia and no upstart record company owned by a black man would get the votes of many of them
    I also think artists associated with large record companies have an advantage due to the fact that they are all probably "encouraged" to vote for fellow label-mates, even if they prefer another nominee. This was probably more likely in the early days of the Grammys.

Rock N Roll was looked down upon by the establishment in Entertainment until after 1964. There were very few TV shows besides American Bandstand , that any of the acts could even be on.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    I can't say for sure. My view of it was that Motown was this renegade label that danced to its own drummer.I never heard the Berry story so it may or may not be true.
    I think your view is most likely the most correct. It seems that Motown was at the time a very successful version [[probably, unexpectedly so) of today's 'indie' labels and, if it ain't broke ...

So we can conclude that it was all political?

A case can be made for that, Marv.

It’s a tragedy and travesty that none of the classic songs by

The Supremes, Tops, Temptations, Marvin, Smokey, Marvin & Tammi, HDH and many more didn’t get a Grammy

Well, Grammy or not. RIAA or not. The fact is Motown and it's arists have NEVER waned in pop culture. Think movies,musicals, books, tv; commercials. Even endless covers. 60 years later, "Motortown" is still very much relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Well, Grammy or not. RIAA or not. The fact is Motown and it's arists have NEVER waned in pop culture. Think movies,musicals, books, tv; commercials. Even endless covers. 60 years later, "Motortown" is still very much relevant.
    I am totally in agreement NativeNY63!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I am totally in agreement NativeNY63!
    Two tv commercials -
    Heinz ketchup Four Tops' "I'll Be There" & Reese's peanut butter cup Easter egg featured Marvin's, "Let's Get It On".
    My work's done here.

Another 21st century commercial - it's for a pet flea & tick med. Background instrumental for "Stand By Me."

Quote Originally Posted by nativeNY63 View Post
    Another 21st century commercial - it's for a pet flea & tick med. Background instrumental for "Stand By Me."
    "Stand by Me" is not a Motown song.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    "Stand by Me" is not a Motown song.
    I don’t think there’s even a Motown cover of it that I know of

Quote Originally Posted by Optimal Saint View Post
    I don’t think there’s even a Motown cover of it that I know of
    I've never heard one. I was going to say maybe Jimmy and David Ruffin recorded a version, but I never heard it.

Hi Marv!

For me the Ruffin Brothers recording is the best version of the song.

Best regards
    Heikki

Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Hi Marv!

For me the Ruffin Brothers recording is the best version of the song.

Best regards
    Heikki
    Hey Heikki!

I thought I had read somewhere that Jimmy and David recorded a version of the song. Thanks for confirming that. I have to look it up. How are things? I hope you are staying safe!

Hi Marv!

I'm doing fine here, and I trust you're doing well, too.
    Here's the Ruffin Brothers version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU83uQOGaLk

Best regards
    Heikki

Quote Originally Posted by heikki View Post
    Hi Marv!

I'm doing fine here, and I trust you're doing well, too.
    Here's the Ruffin Brothers version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU83uQOGaLk

Best regards
    Heikki
    Yes I am fine. I have to cut my own hair though LOL! Thanks for that link.