[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. The Easy Listening Stylings of The Supremes



    Has anyone heard this one before?

  2. #2
    I remember this...never got into when I was younger.
    Interesting....now.
    Can we add the vocals now

  3. #3
    I've seen the Fantabulous Strings album before but I never heard it.

    I had a similar album by the 101 Strings, where they played a lot of Supremes hits. I think whoever bought it did so by mistake because they saw SUPREMES on the cover.
    Last edited by reese; 02-23-2020 at 11:46 AM.

  4. #4
    Kinda schmaltzy and syrup-y. I like when these type of symphonies support an artist, such as the mash-up of ANMHE and the London Symphony Orchestra (here). I have both of these LPs but only break them out on very rare occasions.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I've seen the Fantabulous Strings album before but I never heard it.

    I had a similar album by the 101 Strings, where they played a lot of Supremes hits. I think whoever bought it did so by mistake because they saw SUPREMES on the cover.
    They use to play this recording (or some instrumental version of this song) my doctor's office when I was kid.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I've seen the Fantabulous Strings album before but I never heard it.

    I had a similar album by the 101 Strings, where they played a lot of Supremes hits. I think whoever bought it did so by mistake because they saw SUPREMES on the cover.
    So you had it but bought it by mistake? Did you wind up liking it or did you bring it back for a refund? I bought it too, but I bought it on purpose. Most of the arrangements were very nice.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    They use to play this recording (or some instrumental version of this song) my doctor's office when I was kid.
    That was probably Muzak, or what I used to call elevator music Muzak is a brand of background music played in retail stores and other public establishments. Muzak became a generic term for background music and I just looked it up on Wikipedia and noticed that it is also referred to as elevator music

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Most of the arrangements were very nice.
    Oh, Mil. Are you watching Matlock or Golden Girls at the moment (lol)?
    Last edited by thanxal; 02-23-2020 at 10:50 PM.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    So you had it but bought it by mistake? Did you wind up liking it or did you bring it back for a refund? I bought it too, but I bought it on purpose. Most of the arrangements were very nice.
    It was given to me by an aunt who knew I liked the Supremes. I suspect she bought it by mistake. Incidentally, she also had THAT MOTOWN SOUND by Earl Van Dyke and the Soul Brothers. That is another one I believe she bought by mistake, just reading the song titles and the star names on the cover.

    Re the 101 Strings album, I liked it enough. I used to sing along to it. But I always wondered why I couldn't find the Supremes' original recordings of BABY LET'S SMOOTH IT OVER and IT'S SO EXCITING. It wasn't until alter that I figured out those were 101 Strings originals.
    Last edited by reese; 02-24-2020 at 09:40 AM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Oh, Mil. Are you watching Matlock or Golden Girls at the moment (lol)?
    Very funny I don't watch reruns, but I did like both shows. I am also a fan of strings and orchestras. I liked the London Symphony Orchestra's AINT NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH. Someone on YouTube combined that version with Diana's version and I like it too even though I am usually not a fan of re-mixes.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    That was probably Muzak, or what I used to call elevator music Muzak is a brand of background music played in retail stores and other public establishments. Muzak became a generic term for background music and I just looked it up on Wikipedia and noticed that it is also referred to as elevator music
    You hardly hear it, elevator music nowadays. I remember older people use to bop their heads to it. They really liked it LOL!

  12. #12
    this kind of music sells on vinyl these days...I sell on ebay, and instrumental LPS (particularly sealed ones) are pretty fast sellers...101 Strings issued MANY dozens of LPS.
    A friend gave me 2 crates of instrumental LPs....many were sealed..Ray Conniff, 101 Strings, Hugo Winterhaler….the younger less than 40 folks like a lot of this "Cocktail Party" / "Bachelor Pad" stuff

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    this kind of music sells on vinyl these days...I sell on ebay, and instrumental LPS (particularly sealed ones) are pretty fast sellers...101 Strings issued MANY dozens of LPS.
    A friend gave me 2 crates of instrumental LPs....many were sealed..Ray Conniff, 101 Strings, Hugo Winterhaler….the younger less than 40 folks like a lot of this "Cocktail Party" / "Bachelor Pad" stuff
    Stuff like Henry Mancini and the Theme From the Pink Panther? LOL!

  14. #14
    In Europe we had James Last

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Very funny I don't watch reruns, but I did like both shows. I am also a fan of strings and orchestras. I liked the London Symphony Orchestra's AINT NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH. Someone on YouTube combined that version with Diana's version and I like it too even though I am usually not a fan of re-mixes.
    Well, I like that one too, so I guess if we ever meet I'll buy us both a Metamucil.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I've seen the Fantabulous Strings album before but I never heard it.

    I had a similar album by the 101 Strings, where they played a lot of Supremes hits. I think whoever bought it did so by mistake because they saw SUPREMES on the cover.
    I rather like it, but I'm a 'closet' Beautiful Music fan!

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    In Europe we had James Last
    He had a popular album cut on the soundtrack to "American Gigolo".

  18. #18
    I had both of these albums. I still have "Those Fantabulous Strings" (strings cover not the elusive Eula caricature cover), not sure what happened to my "101 Strings".

    I knew exactly what I was getting when I bought these albums. In 1965 I found it kind of special that my favorite group's songs were considered worthy enough to be recorded by an orchestra - even for a budget release. It's one thing for the hits, and all 5 #1s are here, but also Crossroads, Whisper and I'm In Love Again were being immortalized as elevator music.

    I also bought Choker Campbell and Earl Van Dyke's albums. I was disappointed with those releases. I had expected more. So I stayed away from San Remo Golden Strings as well as Gordon Staples vinyl albums. (I have the Gordon Staples CD still unopened)
    Last edited by johnjeb; 02-25-2020 at 02:11 PM.

  19. #19
    I love instrumental music. There were so many instrumental songs that reached number one in the sixties. In fact my all time time favorite record was an instrumental and stayed at number one for ten weeks.

    Bert Kaempfert had a lot of instrumental hits in the sixties and seventies and I was so happy to find his version of my all time favorite Supremes song on one of his albums


  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Re the 101 Strings album, I liked it enough. I used to sing along to it. But I always wondered why I couldn't find the Supremes' original recordings of BABY LET'S SMOOTH IT OVER and IT'S SO EXCITING. It wasn't until alter that I figured out those were 101 Strings originals.
    Almost every 101 Strings album that is devoted to a specific composer or artist (Supremes, Cole Porter, Gershwin, Carpenters, etc.) contained a few mysterious originals which were supposed to evoke the more famous songs. Of course, the scheme was really just so the producers would make royalties on their own songs along with the sales of the actual "legit" titles.

    I suppose it's kind of like Berry Gordy making sure to include several Jobete covers on each Motown album, a way to "double dip" by not only profiting from the album sales but from royalties of songs that were never hits.

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I love instrumental music. There were so many instrumental songs that reached number one in the sixties. In fact my all time time favorite record was an instrumental and stayed at number one for ten weeks.

    Bert Kaempfert had a lot of instrumental hits in the sixties and seventies and I was so happy to find his version of my all time favorite Supremes song on one of his albums

    Oh. Muh. Gawd!!! This is just too much. Bert Kaempfert playing the Supremes. Where is his patented slap bass sound??? I've now officially heard everything. Thanks for sharing.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.