[REMOVE ADS]

On Tour with Miss Ross

Rhonda will be joining Diana on this tour starting Sunday in Louisville

https://www.pix11.com/news/morning/r...es-on-the-road

Lots of tour dates she is on with Diana.

Great interview. Diana’s children are so intelligent, self aware, and talented.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Great interview. Diana’s children are so intelligent, self aware, and talented.
    Your comment just makes me wonder why, oh why do these things happen? Was it just because Diana had money that the children are all successful? Why didn't they turn out like Aretha Franklin's children or any of a dozen other Motown singer's offspring?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Your comment just makes me wonder why, oh why do these things happen? Was it just because Diana had money that the children are all successful? Why didn't they turn out like Aretha Franklin's children or any of a dozen other Motown singer's offspring?
    LOL!! Paraphrasing James Carville, 'It's the parenting, silly one!' As well you know. Too many Diana fans complain about her lps during the 'family years' when she clearly made a decision to focus her main energy on her children; fact is some / one of the singers you mention also made less-than records during their child-raising years but seem to have not instilled in their offspring the need for education and self-sufficiency. Diana's not the only one, I'm sure, but she sure is a great example.

oh if only Evan would join them . the dream would be complete.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    LOL!! Paraphrasing James Carville, 'It's the parenting, silly one!' As well you know. Too many Diana fans complain about her lps during the 'family years' when she clearly made a decision to focus her main energy on her children; fact is some / one of the singers you mention also made less-than records during their child-raising years but seem to have not instilled in their offspring the need for education and self-sufficiency. Diana's not the only one, I'm sure, but she sure is a great example.
    Well for many of these other singers, something sure was missing in their parenting success

You are saying she could not do both, make great albums and be a good mother. NOT TRUE. Ross is a lousy producer and song-selector. It had nothing to do with being a good mother. She is a just horrible record executive, including hiring all the wrong people and forgetting about the glamour. She released horrible music, dressed horribly, and had horribly wicked hair styles.

Last edited by Circa 1824; 02-22-2020 at 04:57 PM.

I think she also was just saying - fuck it and fuck off - this is what I’m doing now - I’ve done a lot already and now I sing how I want, what I want and the family is the priority

Maybe the music wasn’t as successful but she raised highly successful diligent children that got good educations. Some of Ross’s colleagues for whatever reason raised children that didn’t do much of anything - hung out on a computer or somewhere not doing much?

Diana did spent a lot of time home with the children all while RCA didn't know what to do with her. Once she had Evan and Ross, things really changed with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    You are saying she could not do both, make great albums and be a good mother. NOT TRUE. Ross is a lousy producer and song-selector. It had nothing to do with being a good mother.
    A truthful and honest post Circa. Of course one can be a good parent and still make great music. The analogy that if Diana had shown more interest in those early rca albums her children might have been less successful and rounded individuals is quite frankly ridiculous.

You are saying she could not do both, make great albums and be a good mother. NOT TRUE. Ross is a lousy producer and song-selector. It had nothing to do with being a good mother. She is a just horrible record executive, including hiring all the wrong people and forgetting about the glamour. She released horrible music, dressed horribly, and had horribly wicked hair styles.
    You are correct in what you say for the most part. She really did not have any idea when it came to selecting and producing the songs for that first pair of rca albums, but i honestly think she thought she could release just about anything and it would be successful.
    Nothing lasts forever and by the time she actually started to care about the quality of the albums many of her fans had lost interest,but you must remember that her family came first, and as long as she was making lots of money she wasn't unduly concerned until it was too late.

But how do you really feel? 😁

I personally knew Quintin Anderson and Judith Service. I strongly disagree with the notion that Diana hired all the wrong people. If you are referring to her recordings, the RCA liner notes also add to my statement.

Paul Jabara, Ray Chew, Paul Riser, Lionel Richie, Leata Galloway

Michael Jackson, Luther Vandross, The Waters Sisters, Patti Austin, Tawatha Agee, Cissy Houston, Paul Shaffer, Andy Warhol

Joe Walsh, Steely Dan, Toto, Michael McDonald, Ray Parker Jr., Marc Jordan, Uwe Ommer

Daryl Hall, Julio Iglesias, Lionel Richie, Bernard Edwards, Jeff Beck, Arthur Baker, GE Smith, James Anthony Carmichael, Albert Hammond, Fracisco Scavullo

Michael Jackson, Barry Gibb, Tom Scott, Humberto Gatica

Mick Hucknall, Wintley Phipps, Luther Vandross, Jocelyn Brown, Paulinho DaCosta, Tom Dowd, Herb Ritts

Countless legendary studio musicians, writers, remixers, stylists, etc were not included

at the end we Reprise "Remember" ....

Rhonda is opening for Diana on this Tour, starting tonight. In Case You Didn't Know

Quote Originally Posted by MotownGold View Post
    But how do you really feel? 

I personally knew Quintin Anderson and Judith Service. I strongly disagree with the notion that Diana hired all the wrong people. If you are referring to her recordings, the RCA liner notes also add to my statement.

Paul Jabara, Ray Chew, Paul Riser, Lionel Richie, Leata Galloway

Michael Jackson, Luther Vandross, The Waters Sisters, Patti Austin, Tawatha Agee, Cissy Houston, Paul Shaffer, Andy Warhol

Joe Walsh, Steely Dan, Toto, Michael McDonald, Ray Parker Jr., Marc Jordan, Uwe Ommer

Daryl Hall, Julio Iglesias, Lionel Richie, Bernard Edwards, Jeff Beck, Arthur Baker, GE Smith, James Anthony Carmichael, Albert Hammond, Fracisco Scavullo

Michael Jackson, Barry Gibb, Tom Scott, Humberto Gatica

Mick Hucknall, Wintley Phipps, Luther Vandross, Jocelyn Brown, Paulinho DaCosta, Tom Dowd, Herb Ritts

Countless legendary studio musicians, writers, remixers, stylists, etc were not included
    Love it. So much for the 'all the wrong people' argument.

Well, making good music is not just about "name dropping". I think that Streisand is one of Quincy Jones intimate friend since the early sixties, yet she didn't hire him as a producer except for one album cut. She knows by instinct, he is not suited to her.

Certainly, Diana didn't make good albums as a producer, but I don't think it was by purpose or that she didn't care. It seems to me that she had little understanding of what her fans like in her voice.

The negative appreciation concerning her hair, gowns, allure is all wrong. The spirit and vision she projected is so strong that it last to this day.

One fact we can all agree upon: even though we may disagree about the listenability of the RCA lps, there is no other contemporary of Diana's who made a string of charting lps in the 80s that we still talk about.

I love all the RCA recordings. If I were to rank her entire album catalog in order of my favorites, the RCA albums would be my top six.

Those recordings are the soundtrack to my teenage years...

...waiting after school for Diana to be played back to back on Video Vibrations. Calling the radio station to request Pieces Of Ice. Staying up late to see her on Carson or the AMAs. Buying a VCR simply to record her on TV. Going to bed with the poster of Diana in the white sweater above my head. Searching through Jet, Black Beat, etc at the grocery store for any mention of her. Sitting on my front porch blaring Mirror, Mirror. Using a remote control to pretend I was performing in Central Park.

These are my memories, my happy place.
    ...and while many of you demean those years, I am 100% sure I would be a different person without the joy and strength I gained from that entire period.

Music is subjective. I actually think the weaving of fans from different generations and musical tastes should be a good thing. I love to hear stories of how a song, a movie or appearance changed or shaped your life. Wherever you find inspiration, it should be celebrated.

I love all the RCA recordings. If I were to rank her entire album catalog in order of my favorites, the RCA albums would be my top six.

...waiting after school for Diana to be played back to back on Video Vibrations. Calling the radio station to request Pieces Of Ice. Staying up late to see her on Carson or the AMAs. Buying a VCR simply to record her on TV. Going to bed with the poster of Diana in the white sweater above my head. Searching through Jet, Black Beat, etc at the grocery store for any mention of her. Sitting on my front porch blaring Mirror, Mirror. Using a remote control to pretend I was performing in Central Park.

...and while many of you demean those years, I am 100% sure I would be a different person without the joy and strength I gained from that entire period..............

cool memories! i get it!

...and while many of you demean those years, I am 100% sure I would be a different person without the joy and strength I gained from that entire period.

Music is subjective. I actually think the weaving of fans from different generations and musical tastes should be a good thing.
    It's interesting how we all have our own personal experiences of being a Diana Ross fan. At some point i actually gave up on Diana during those early RCA years simply because i hated the music she was putting out. I was tired of being disappointed again and again. The plus side was i started to listen to a lot of other artists.
    Mercifully things picked up from Swept Away onwards and by the 90's [[89 for me) i felt she was back on track.
    As you point out of course.. it's all very subjective.

Music is subjective. I actually think the weaving of fans from different generations and musical tastes should be a good thing. I love to hear stories of how a song, a movie or appearance changed or shaped your life. Wherever you find inspiration, it should be celebrated.
    PERFECTLY stated, whether one likes the RCA lps or not.

This is exactly how I feel. I had said this many times before. The RCA years were my most favorite and exciting time being a fan. Every year a new album that I loved as well as a huge arena tour. Central Park, etc.

I saw Diana Ross for the first time finally last night and it was amazing! I don't know why it's been 14 years since her last studio album cuz she still has an amazing voice! Rhonda was great too--she hung out in the merch area after the show, letting people take pics with her [[I didn't take a pic, but I got her autograph!)

Quote Originally Posted by Buttered Popcorn and so forth View Post
    I saw Diana Ross for the first time finally last night and it was amazing! I don't know why it's been 14 years since her last studio album cuz she still has an amazing voice! Rhonda was great too--she hung out in the merch area after the show, letting people take pics with her [[I didn't take a pic, but I got her autograph!)
    Very happy for you!

I saw her at the Louisville Palace in 1995 [[2 Shows) and 2012. It is a great theatre to see Miss Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    This is exactly how I feel. I had said this many times before. The RCA years were my most favorite and exciting time being a fan. Every year a new album that I loved as well as a huge arena tour. Central Park, etc.
    An album every year...those were the days.

Nice to know I am not the only one who really appreciated those years.

Until the 2000's, we were looking at albums as a pinacle of pop music. Often, a great albums was a cohesive one, like Diana's Ashford & Simpson LPs, Chic... In that respect, her RCA's years are rather eclectic ans there are something for everyone. I felt rather difficult to enjoy them individually, except her Ross.

But now, the perception is different. With spotify, Deezer, playlist, we listen to music differently.
    I had never really listen Everything is Everything, LTISH, Ross. I still don't, but I listen intensely songs from those albums. I think they are stunning this way and not lost in diversity.

Her RCA years are the same. Swept away is perfect this way. It goes on all possible direction, like sparkles of Ross. Sophisticated sexy soul, glossy pop duet, powerfull or soulful ballads, frenetic vocal, playful ...

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    Until the 2000's, we were looking at albums as a pinacle of pop music. Often, a great albums was a cohesive one, like Diana's Ashford & Simpson LPs, Chic... In that respect, her RCA's years are rather eclectic ans there are something for everyone. I felt rather difficult to enjoy them individually, except her Ross.

But now, the perception is different. With spotify, Deezer, playlist, we listen to music differently.
    I had never really listen Everything is Everything, LTISH, Ross. I still don't, but I listen intensely songs from those albums. I think they are stunning this way and not lost in diversity.

Her RCA years are the same. Swept away is perfect this way. It goes on all possible direction, like sparkles of Ross. Sophisticated sexy soul, glossy pop duet, powerfull or soulful ballads, frenetic vocal, playful ...
    I've always found that on all of her albums there are two or three songs that truly stand out and make them worth the purchase [[except for EA). There are certain albums that I love from start to finish: The Boss, diana, WDFFIL. But this also holds true going back to her days as a Supreme, even though there were a few more albums that I loved from start to finish.

Bluebrock, Thank you for always being fair and balanced regarding Miss Ross!! Enjoy The upcoming U.K.tour...Have FUN. I AM seeing Miss Ross 04-11- Wynn/Encore Las Vegas..09-12 Hollywood Bowl under the STARS with Miss Ross!!

i agree that one can be both a successful parent and a successful musician simultaneously.

Diana was/is an incredible mother and grandmother. she clearly is 1000% devoted to her family

Diana had a rather successful run during the 80s when you look at the number of records sold. She made an incredible amount of money. so that has to be considered a success

Diana was NOT able to continue to adapt her style and image to the times. I don't know if she was just not tapping into the right channels and areas to learn of new trends or if she simply found a style, look and sound that she likes and, quite frankly, doesn't care about altering much. Basically she's had the same look today as 1979 - wild mane of hair, glamorous, huge and sensational over the top gowns. And she's always loved songs that boarder on sappy love/inspirational love songs - Reach out and touch, mahogany, endless love, it's my turn, take me higher, i will survive, force behind the power, the best years of my life, he lives in you, your love, tell me again, in your arms, all of you, you are not alone.

I think you're right that not only did she struggle in the production of the songs released but she was growing more and more out of touch with what was happening in youth market and in the clubs. which frankly is somewhat understandable. when she was younger and living in NYC with her family, she could hit up Studio 54. But by the 80s she was living in CT, traveling, the girls were growing up, she was becoming interested in Arne, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DGYTop69 View Post
    Bluebrock, Thank you for always being fair and balanced regarding Miss Ross!! Enjoy The upcoming U.K.tour...Have FUN. I AM seeing Miss Ross 04-11- Wynn/Encore Las Vegas..09-12 Hollywood Bowl under the STARS with Miss Ross!!
    Thank you very much. I try to give a balanced view with warts and all.
    I hope you enjoy the shows. I hope Diana does not become too fatigued following her very busy year. You take care.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i

Diana had a rather successful run during the 80s when you look at the number of records sold. She made an incredible amount of money. so that has to be considered a success

Diana was NOT able to continue to adapt her style and image to the times. I don't know if she was just not tapping into the right channels and areas to learn of new trends or if she simply found a style, look and sound that she likes and, quite frankly, doesn't care about altering much. Basically she's had the same look today as 1979 - wild mane of hair, glamorous, huge and sensational over the top gowns.
    The fact that in 85, she was the lady with the most top 10 hits on the Billboard [[8)charts cannot mask another reality. After all, from the same period, Olivia Newton John had the most top 5 hits [[4). Both gathered those hits in the early years of the decade. It's funny to think of those two singers together since they have nothing in common.
    I have the notion that her first RCA singles were hits because of that Motown string of hits dynamic.

And suddenly, both had no hits at all. Diana's legacy is much stronger, and she is a legendary Diva, so she managed to survive out of the top 100.
    Now, all is forgotten, she have all her classics with her, and time is diluted. It doesn't matter if it took her 20 or 50 years to build her career.

Why she wasn't able to adapt her music after 1985 is another story. I don't have answer, maybe there are answers.

I was intrigued by her 1989 Vanity Fair interview. She talked about a choreographer doing something new with her, and also how she was afraid to change things. "what I am doing works and I'm afraid that if I change it will not... But I have to grow". It's my recollection of the interview. Than she said she want to be photographed with no make up to show the real thing!.
    Than, 2 month latter, I saw the same act she was doing in 1985, except she had other gowns and those awful WO songs. On the Tour Book, there is one or two rather unflattering pictures, and I suppose they are from that photographer she talked about in the interview.

Last year, a Michael Jackson choreographer published a bio in France. His name is Vincent Paterson. I read the book and suddenly I realize he was "the new choreographer" from the Vanity Fair interview. He was also one of her dancer during the "pieces of ice" clip.
    He relate the crazy story of his aborted collaboration with the temperamental Diva.

If you are interested, I can try to translate from french.
    I feel bad because, I try to write as clearly as possible in english, but I'm not convinced I always succeed.

Name:  Unknown.jpeg
Views: 525
Size:  8.8 KB
    Last edited by Albator; 02-25-2020 at 05:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    Why she wasn't able to adapt her music after 1985 is another story. I don't have answer, maybe there are answers.

I was intrigued by her 1989 Vanity Fair interview. She talked about a choreographer doing something new with her, and also how she was afraid to change things. "what I am doing works and I'm afraid that if I change it will not... But I have to grow". It's my recollection of the interview. Than she said she want to be photographed with no make up to show the real thing!.
    Than, 2 month latter, I saw the same act she was doing in 1985, except she had other gowns and those awful WO songs. On the Tour Book, there is one or two rather unflattering pictures, and I suppose they are from that photographer she talked about in the interview.

Last year, a Michael Jackson choreographer published a bio in France. His name is Vincent Paterson. I read the book and suddenly I realize he was "the new choreographer" from the Vanity Fair interview. He was also one of her dancer during the "pieces of ice" clip.
    He relate the crazy story of his aborted collaboration with the temperamental Diva.

If you are interested, I can try to translate from french.
    I feel bad because, I try to write as clearly as possible in english, but I'm not convinced I always succeed.

Name:  Unknown.jpeg
Views: 525
Size:  8.8 KB
    I think Diana is one of those artists that has often trodden the line between being old school and current. The Boss and Diana introduced her to a new generation of fans and for a time she was very much in the now. After that she fluctuated between the two both in presentation and musically.
    I was 18 when WDFFIL was released and thought songs such as WDFFIL and "It's Never Two Late" more something my parents would enjoy. On the flip side you also had songs such as "Mirror Mirror and "Muscles which sounded current.
    p.s if you are french your english is excellent. If you could translate the article that would be wonderful. My french is rusty at very best.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 02-25-2020 at 06:32 AM.

i think though that through the early 80s, she made much more of an attempt to change her image, sound and look. in the 80s though, she seemed to settle into a comfortable mold

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Thank you very much. I try to give a balanced view with warts and all.
    I hope you keep a diary and publish it in here. If not, I look forward to the release of your book 'Dreamboy: My Life As A Supreme Assistant'

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    I hope you keep a diary and publish it in here. If not, I look forward to the release of your book 'Dreamboy: My Life As A Supreme Assistant'
    That's a great title! I have kept a diary/journal every single day since 1974. I thank the Almighty Lord that i did so because there is certain stuff that i had forgotten about, or had just hazy memories of. It wasn't always much fun staying up half the night writing when all i wanted to do was go to sleep, but i am so glad that i did. It is an invaluable source to look back on in both a personal and professional sense.

That's a great title! I have kept a diary/journal every single day since 1974.
    I'm sure many on here would love to read some excerpts from it. I wish I had kept a diary myself, although I'm sure my life wouldn't be as exciting as your hobnobbing with the stars

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    I'm sure many on here would love to read some excerpts from it. I wish I had kept a diary myself, although I'm sure my life wouldn't be as exciting as your hobnobbing with the stars
    It is not always as glamorous as it sounds. There have been soaring highs and crashing lows and a lot of mediocre and unmemorable times in between.

It is not always as glamorous as it sounds. There have been soaring highs and crashing lows and a lot of mediocre and unmemorable times in between.
    One imagines a lot of 'hurry up and wait' hours.

God bless you my dear Bluebrock. Your one of the most decent and honorable people on this here forum. ❤️

One imagines a lot of 'hurry up and wait' hours.
    Lots and lots of them, and numerous interrupted nights of sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    God bless you my dear Bluebrock. Your one of the most decent and honorable people on this here forum. ❤️
    God Bless you Roberta. Coming right back at you.