[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 38 of 38
  1. Diana Ross at the Radio City Music Hall '84

    We're looking for Ms.Ross' concert at the Radio City Music Hall from 1984. We know that some fans have bootleg copies of the show on cassette/tape, but we look for a digital version. Please, if you have it and want to trade it for rare photographs or rare material, let us know in the comments or send us an email to dianarossofficialfanclub@gmail.com

    The quality is not important since we have a a professional team of audio remastering.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Ross Fan Club View Post
    We're looking for Ms.Ross' concert at the Radio City Music Hall from 1984. We know that some fans have bootleg copies of the show on cassette/tape, but we look for a digital version. Please, if you have it and want to trade it for rare photographs or rare material, let us know in the comments or send us an email to dianarossofficialfanclub@gmail.com

    The quality is not important since we have a a professional team of audio remastering.

    Thanks!
    I’ve only heard her cover of “New York State of Mind”. Did she perform any other “surprises”?

  3. Quote Originally Posted by monicarivers View Post
    I’ve only heard her cover of “New York State of Mind”. Did she perform any other “surprises”?
    I think she also did 'Rescue Me', 'Forever Young', 'Touch By Touch' and 'Remember Me'. But I'm not sure. I know the concert was going to be released but it was cancelled so there's a professional recording out there, even on bootleg copies.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Ross Fan Club View Post
    I think she also did 'Rescue Me', 'Forever Young', 'Touch By Touch' and 'Remember Me'. But I'm not sure. I know the concert was going to be released but it was cancelled so there's a professional recording out there, even on bootleg copies.
    I’d be interested to know if there’s any video...

  5. #5
    In her book, Diana writes she still regrets not cancelling this engagement.

    From tv news

    Last edited by Albator; 02-20-2020 at 03:48 AM.

  6. #6
    POP: DIANA ROSS SHOW
    By Stephen Holden
    Sept. 21, 1984


    GLAMOUR, the aura of sanctified narcissism exalted by 1950's movie magazines, has made a big comeback of late thanks to performers such as Diana Ross. The star, who opened an 11- show engagement at Radio City Music Hall on Wednesday, distills that elusive mixture of beauty and cultivated charm in its most concentrated form. In her new show, which features several stunning costume changes, music plays second fiddle to images of the star modeling various glittering gowns and jump suits.


    Even before it opened, Miss Ross's show had become the Music Hall's top-grossing concert attraction ever, surpassing Liberace's record-breaking engagement last April. Where Liberace's 14-show engagement carried a top ticket price of $25, the best tickets for Diana Ross went for $30. And at the end of an opening-night performance that began with two variety acts and continued with the star singing for just an hour and 10 minutes, a sizable portion of the audience felt it had not gotten its money's worth and vociferously demanded ''more.'' Having prepared no second encore, the star offered a reprise of her newest hit, ''Swept Away.''


    Miss Ross opened her set with a selection of songs (''My Man,'' ''New York State of Mind,'' ''It's My Turn'') arranged cabaret-style for just voice and piano. Then, joined by 12 musicians and two backup singers, she continued with such old hits as ''Ain't No Mountain High Enough'' and ''Upside Down'' and the recent ''I'm Missing You,'' a new Lionel Richie ballad written in memory of of Marvin Gaye. The singer acknowledged her 50's doo-wop roots with a spirited ''Why Do Fools Fall in Love'' and commemorated her early Motown years with a three-song medley of Supremes hits. She performed ''Swept Away'' with a video of the song and ended her set with Bob Dylan's ''Forever Young,'' arranged as a saccharine gospel hymn.


    Compared with the similarly priced Jacksons' show with its ''Star Wars'' pyrotechnics at Madison Square Garden and Liberace's Music Hall show, in which the pianist played in synch with dancing and rainbow-colored fountains, Miss Ross's show was skimpy, not only in length but in show-biz razzmatazz. At $30 ticket prices, 50's-style glamour is no substitute for 80's showmanship.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    POP: DIANA ROSS SHOW
    By Stephen Holden
    Sept. 21, 1984


    GLAMOUR, the aura of sanctified narcissism exalted by 1950's movie magazines, has made a big comeback of late thanks to performers such as Diana Ross. The star, who opened an 11- show engagement at Radio City Music Hall on Wednesday, distills that elusive mixture of beauty and cultivated charm in its most concentrated form. In her new show, which features several stunning costume changes, music plays second fiddle to images of the star modeling various glittering gowns and jump suits.


    Even before it opened, Miss Ross's show had become the Music Hall's top-grossing concert attraction ever, surpassing Liberace's record-breaking engagement last April. Where Liberace's 14-show engagement carried a top ticket price of $25, the best tickets for Diana Ross went for $30. And at the end of an opening-night performance that began with two variety acts and continued with the star singing for just an hour and 10 minutes, a sizable portion of the audience felt it had not gotten its money's worth and vociferously demanded ''more.'' Having prepared no second encore, the star offered a reprise of her newest hit, ''Swept Away.''


    Miss Ross opened her set with a selection of songs (''My Man,'' ''New York State of Mind,'' ''It's My Turn'') arranged cabaret-style for just voice and piano. Then, joined by 12 musicians and two backup singers, she continued with such old hits as ''Ain't No Mountain High Enough'' and ''Upside Down'' and the recent ''I'm Missing You,'' a new Lionel Richie ballad written in memory of of Marvin Gaye. The singer acknowledged her 50's doo-wop roots with a spirited ''Why Do Fools Fall in Love'' and commemorated her early Motown years with a three-song medley of Supremes hits. She performed ''Swept Away'' with a video of the song and ended her set with Bob Dylan's ''Forever Young,'' arranged as a saccharine gospel hymn.


    Compared with the similarly priced Jacksons' show with its ''Star Wars'' pyrotechnics at Madison Square Garden and Liberace's Music Hall show, in which the pianist played in synch with dancing and rainbow-colored fountains, Miss Ross's show was skimpy, not only in length but in show-biz razzmatazz. At $30 ticket prices, 50's-style glamour is no substitute for 80's showmanship.
    $30! Those were the days!

  8. #8
    This was the time that Ms. Ross was flying, between shows, to visit her sick mother in the hospital. Ms. Ross sang "Remember Me" and her performance is my fondest live concert experience.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    This was the time that Ms. Ross was flying, between shows, to visit her sick mother in the hospital. Ms. Ross sang "Remember Me" and her performance is my fondest live concert experience.
    Nice that you were able to hear "Remember Me' live. Did Diana perform it with the gospel call-and-response ending?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Nice that you were able to hear "Remember Me' live. Did Diana perform it with the gospel call-and-response ending?
    I wasn't at Radio City but I saw Diana a week or two later at Boston Garden and she performed REMEMBER ME, with the call-and-response ending. But as I remember it, when she got to that section, she started calling out names of various Motown acts.

  11. #11
    At Radio City Music Hall, she performed the song with the gospel call back and repeated the refrain several times with great instrumental breaks. Her band was superb! I wonder if there is a recording of Diana Ross' great performance of "Remember Me".

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by TNSUN View Post
    At Radio City Music Hall, she performed the song with the gospel call back and repeated the refrain several times with great instrumental breaks. Her band was superb! I wonder if there is a recording of Diana Ross' great performance of "Remember Me".
    The only live version I've seen a recording of is that from her 1979 HBO special.

    I've seen her sing it in concert in 1979, 1982, and 1984. But in the many concerts I've seen since 1984, she's never performed out although I have read that she pulls it out every now and then.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    The only live version I've seen a recording of is that from her 1979 HBO special.

    I've seen her sing it in concert in 1979, 1982, and 1984. But in the many concerts I've seen since 1984, she's never performed out although I have read that she pulls it out every now and then.
    Yes she does "pull it out" every so often as you so delightfully describe it, but as far as i'm concerned she doesn't "pull it out" anywhere near as often as i would like her to do!

  14. #14
    She also sang briefly "I ain't been licked" around 2005

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Yes she does "pull it out" every so often as you so delightfully describe it, but as far as i'm concerned she doesn't "pull it out" anywhere near as often as i would like her to do!
    I saw Nick Ashford pull it out once.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    She also sang briefly "I ain't been licked" around 2005
    The LA Weekly review of a 2004 concert even uses Ain't Been Licked as a headline, calling it part of a "thematic thread of resilience" -- and of course it was fitting. This is when the Diana Ross "comeback" started after RTL and DUI. Good to remember that in 2004 she did two-hours concerts (with intermission). Her 2004 concert in Rotterdam was the longest I ever attended.

    https://www.laweekly.com/aint-been-licked/

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I saw Nick Ashford pull it out once.
    Rather you than me my friend!

  18. #18
    What a very snarky review of this concert. I can’t believe they compare her one woman show to the Jacksons with pyrotechnics and other special effects. Who needs that? Maybe the fans of the Jacksons expect that but who goes to a Diana Ross concert expecting to see fireworks? And it seems to me that an hour and 10 minutes is a pretty good length for a concert. Would most people sing for more than that? I know Bruce Springsteen and some others are famous for giving super long shows but I don’t know that I’d expect to see more than an hour though I’ve never been an avid concertgoer.

    still I think that reviewer had some thing else going on, some other ax to grind or hidden agenda about Ross to post such a mean spirited review.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    What a very snarky review of this concert. I can’t believe they compare her one woman show to the Jacksons with pyrotechnics and other special effects. Who needs that? Maybe the fans of the Jacksons expect that but who goes to a Diana Ross concert expecting to see fireworks? And it seems to me that an hour and 10 minutes is a pretty good length for a concert. Would most people sing for more than that? I know Bruce Springsteen and some others are famous for giving super long shows but I don’t know that I’d expect to see more than an hour though I’ve never been an avid concertgoer.

    still I think that reviewer had some thing else going on, some other ax to grind or hidden agenda about Ross to post such a mean spirited review.
    I'm still getting over the $30 top ticket price. LOL. Those really were the days.

    I will say that 70 minutes does seem rather short for a Diana concert, at least back then. Nowadays this is about the norm. But I remember her performing for two hours when I saw her in 1983 at a $17.50 top ticket price.

    I suspect the reviewer wasn't aware of what was happening in Diana's life at the time of the Radio City engagement. Her mother was dying from cancer and Diana was doing her show every night, flying back to Detroit to spend the day with her mom before flying back to NYC for the next night's show. This activity probably accounted for the show's shortened running time.

    I saw Diana in concert a few weeks later and had no complaints at all. I don't think the news of her mother's death had yet been released.

    The set list was (from my best memory):

    IT'S MY TURN
    AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH
    TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING
    LET'S GO UP
    YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE
    REACH OUT AND TOUCH
    MISSING YOU
    MIRROR, MIRROR

    Intermission

    I'M COMING OUT
    UPSIDE DOWN
    MUSCLES
    HOME
    50s MEDLEY: RESCUE ME/SO CLOSE/WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE
    (*Interesting note: only the last song was really from the 50s)
    SUPREMES MEDLEY: REFLECTIONS/BABY LOVE/STOP!/ITCHING IN MY HEART
    REMEMBER ME
    SWEPT AWAY

    Costume change

    ENDLESS LOVE
    FOREVER YOUNG

    Costume change

    SWEPT AWAY (reprise)

  20. #20
    I'm sure the Radio City 84 set list changed from night to night but this is the recording (through the sound board) that circulated. She did the first 4 songs in a T-shirt and jeans.

    Overture
    Home
    New York State Of Mind
    It's My Turn
    My Man
    Ain't No Mountain High Enough
    Upside Down
    Missing You
    Mirror Mirror
    I'm Coming Out
    Rescue Me/So Close/ Why Do Fools Fall In Love
    Baby Love/Stop!/Love Is Like An Itching
    You Can't Hurry Love
    Swept Away
    Reach Out And Touch
    Endless Love
    Forever Young
    Swept Away Reprise

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I'm still getting over the $30 top ticket price. LOL. Those really were the days.

    I will say that 70 minutes does seem rather short for a Diana concert, at least back then. Nowadays this is about the norm. But I remember her performing for two hours when I saw her in 1983 at a $17.50 top ticket price.

    I suspect the reviewer wasn't aware of what was happening in Diana's life at the time of the Radio City engagement. Her mother was dying from cancer and Diana was doing her show every night, flying back to Detroit to spend the day with her mom before flying back to NYC for the next night's show. This activity probably accounted for the show's shortened running time.

    I saw Diana in concert a few weeks later and had no complaints at all. I don't think the news of her mother's death had yet been released.

    The set list was (from my best memory):

    IT'S MY TURN
    AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH
    TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING
    LET'S GO UP
    YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE
    REACH OUT AND TOUCH
    MISSING YOU
    MIRROR, MIRROR

    Intermission

    I'M COMING OUT
    UPSIDE DOWN
    MUSCLES
    HOME
    50s MEDLEY: RESCUE ME/SO CLOSE/WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE
    (*Interesting note: only the last song was really from the 50s)
    SUPREMES MEDLEY: REFLECTIONS/BABY LOVE/STOP!/ITCHING IN MY HEART
    REMEMBER ME
    SWEPT AWAY

    Costume change

    ENDLESS LOVE
    FOREVER YOUNG

    Costume change

    SWEPT AWAY (reprise)
    Holden has always been negative about Diana. Interestingly I recall him calling other performers' concerts at the time as overproduced!

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by George Solomon View Post
    I'm sure the Radio City 84 set list changed from night to night but this is the recording (through the sound board) that circulated. She did the first 4 songs in a T-shirt and jeans.

    Overture
    Home
    New York State Of Mind
    It's My Turn
    My Man
    Ain't No Mountain High Enough
    Upside Down
    Missing You
    Mirror Mirror
    I'm Coming Out
    Rescue Me/So Close/ Why Do Fools Fall In Love
    Baby Love/Stop!/Love Is Like An Itching
    You Can't Hurry Love
    Swept Away
    Reach Out And Touch
    Endless Love
    Forever Young
    Swept Away Reprise
    The 't-and-jeans' (and, I believe, bare feet!) was legendary in the NYC area. As I recall this run of shows sold out before I could get a ticket.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    The 't-and-jeans' (and, I believe, bare feet!) was legendary in the NYC area. As I recall this run of shows sold out before I could get a ticket.
    There was a blurb in JET that said Diana's sell-outs made it impossible for Peter Allen to do his engagement. So Radio City booked Carnegie Hall for him instead.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    There was a blurb in JET that said Diana's sell-outs made it impossible for Peter Allen to do his engagement. So Radio City booked Carnegie Hall for him instead.
    Interesting, Reese. Allen was a big draw in NYC at the time. I remember so well that for tour after tour in NYC Diana would be booked for a run of dates. Which would sell out in a few days. Then dates would be added. And added ...

  25. #25
    you can see the sadness in Diana's face over her mothers illness in the picture from after one of these shows (with her daughters and Bob) included in Taraborelli's "Call Her Miss Ross"
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  26. #26
    Interesting that she apparently didn't sing "Do You Know Where You're Going To," as that seemed to be a fixed feature of the show since 1976.

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I'm still getting over the $30 top ticket price. LOL. Those really were the days.

    I saw Diana in concert a few weeks later and had no complaints at all. I don't think the news of her mother's death had yet been released.

    The set list was (from my best memory):

    IT'S MY TURN
    AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN HIGH ENOUGH
    TOUCH ME IN THE MORNING
    LET'S GO UP
    YOU CAN'T HURRY LOVE
    REACH OUT AND TOUCH
    MISSING YOU
    MIRROR, MIRROR

    Intermission

    I'M COMING OUT
    UPSIDE DOWN
    MUSCLES
    HOME
    50s MEDLEY: RESCUE ME/SO CLOSE/WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE
    (*Interesting note: only the last song was really from the 50s)
    SUPREMES MEDLEY: REFLECTIONS/BABY LOVE/STOP!/ITCHING IN MY HEART
    REMEMBER ME
    SWEPT AWAY

    Costume change

    ENDLESS LOVE
    FOREVER YOUNG

    Costume change

    SWEPT AWAY (reprise)
    Great set list. I didn't know she disjointed "Moutain" from "do You Know" at least for a short time.

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Interesting that she apparently didn't sing "Do You Know Where You're Going To," as that seemed to be a fixed feature of the show since 1976.
    And no songs from LADY as well.

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    Great set list. I didn't know she disjointed "Moutain" from "do You Know" at least for a short time.
    When I saw her in April 1979, she sang the THEME FROM MAHOGANY as a stand-alone. That was the only time I ever saw her perform it that way in concert.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    And no songs from LADY as well.
    Seems to be a Diana-fan issue. If she sings familiar songs, SHE DOESN'T SING ANYTHING NEW!!! And if Diana chooses new material, WHERE ARE THE FAMILIAR SONGS??

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by nomis View Post
    you can see the sadness in Diana's face over her mothers illness in the picture from after one of these shows (with her daughters and Bob) included in Taraborelli's "Call Her Miss Ross"
    A very emotional picture to view, nomis. Diana sure was experiencing some serious emotional stress. The lady kept going, that's for sure!

  32. #32
    Would love to hear a recording of the show as well!

  33. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Seems to be a Diana-fan issue. If she sings familiar songs, SHE DOESN'T SING ANYTHING NEW!!! And if Diana chooses new material, WHERE ARE THE FAMILIAR SONGS??
    Was not intended at criticism, more as a surprise as Do You Know was/is such a fixed feature, sequencing into Ain't No Mountain. I would guess that fans who go to multiple concerts over the years prefer to hear different songs -- I know I do. It was great to hear Ross sing You Are Not Alone in 1997 in Rotterdam; also seeing Ross in 1995 singing all those songs from Take Me Higher before the album was out was a memorable experience (I was particularly surprised when she started singing "At first I was afraid..." -- obviously, that is no longer a surprise). Yet I understand that she must sing her signature songs for the majority of her audience that only go to see her perform one or two times in their life.

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Was not intended at criticism, more as a surprise as Do You Know was/is such a fixed feature, sequencing into Ain't No Mountain. I would guess that fans who go to multiple concerts over the years prefer to hear different songs -- I know I do. It was great to hear Ross sing You Are Not Alone in 1997 in Rotterdam; also seeing Ross in 1995 singing all those songs from Take Me Higher before the album was out was a memorable experience (I was particularly surprised when she started singing "At first I was afraid..." -- obviously, that is no longer a surprise). Yet I understand that she must sing her signature songs for the majority of her audience that only go to see her perform one or two times in their life.
    Understood. I did not mean to refer to you specifically. I also get the point about signature songs but it reaches the point that some performers are lucky to have SO many signature songs that a concert can become unwieldly! I remember back in Roberta Flack's glory years a talk show interviewer asked Roberta about how she chose songs for a concert; Flack replied that she did her best to select proven popular songs along with songs she loved to perform as well as an unexpected choice or two. I recall her laughingly saying that she had maybe 5 albums out and if she sang every song each concert attendee wanted to hear the concert would never end! As for this Radio City show, I would guess that the performance was tightened a bit due to the family health crisis Diana was dealing with -

  35. #35
    I like the idea of "The Anti Tour" that Kylie Minogue did in 2012. Not only did she tone down the show (no dancers, smaller venues), but -- more importantly -- she mostly sang b-sides and non-single album tracks, leaving out the obvious hits. Always thought this would be a nice (and commercial) option for Ross, a "Stolen Moments" kind of concert, but then "Hidden Gems," not focusing only on the LSTB and other jazz songs, but on her own rich catalogue of songs she never performs -- true hidden gems.

  36. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    I like the idea of "The Anti Tour" that Kylie Minogue did in 2012. Not only did she tone down the show (no dancers, smaller venues), but -- more importantly -- she mostly sang b-sides and non-single album tracks, leaving out the obvious hits. Always thought this would be a nice (and commercial) option for Ross, a "Stolen Moments" kind of concert, but then "Hidden Gems," not focusing only on the LSTB and other jazz songs, but on her own rich catalogue of songs she never performs -- true hidden gems.
    She would never do that. It would be way too much time and effort for Ms Ross and her band to rehearse material they have not performed previously.
    Nowadays it is a safe, tried tested and approved set. No risks will be taken. No real surprises will be unveiled. It may be boring for long term fans, but her set will be aimed firmly at the mainstream audience.
    A good idea in theory, and maybe something she could have done 10-15 years ago, but not a hope in hell these days.

  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    She would never do that. It would be way too much time and effort for Ms Ross and her band to rehearse material they have not performed previously.
    Nowadays it is a safe, tried tested and approved set. No risks will be taken. No real surprises will be unveiled. It may be boring for long term fans, but her set will be aimed firmly at the mainstream audience.
    A good idea in theory, and maybe something she could have done 10-15 years ago, but not a hope in hell these days.
    what would be fun (although i get it that it's probably just as unlikely) would be for Diana to better utilize social media. maybe the month of February she focuses on the DR 76 album. then the next month she's talking about The Wiz, or TCB or whatever. Or maybe she invites Valerie S and they discuss Mountain together, etc.

    she could record 1x, her talking about the album. Playing a few tracks and maybe singing along, etc. Then the content could be sliced and diced into various segments for all of her social channels. Maybe several 45 sec clips on FB, some tweets, maybe an edited longer version as a podcast.

    again i realize this is fantasy.

  38. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    what would be fun (although i get it that it's probably just as unlikely) would be for Diana to better utilize social media. maybe the month of February she focuses on the DR 76 album. then the next month she's talking about The Wiz, or TCB or whatever. Or maybe she invites Valerie S and they discuss Mountain together, etc.

    she could record 1x, her talking about the album. Playing a few tracks and maybe singing along, etc. Then the content could be sliced and diced into various segments for all of her social channels. Maybe several 45 sec clips on FB, some tweets, maybe an edited longer version as a podcast.

    again i realize this is fantasy.
    A nice fantasy though. :-)

    The longer this pandemic lasts, I suspect we'll see some artists connecting with their fans in ways they wouldn't have even considered two years ago. Some more creative than others, probably. But still connecting. I mean, who knew Dionne would become the new queen of Twitter?

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.