[REMOVE ADS]

Stevie Wonder - We Can Work It Out [[1970)

Now, how great was this?

Well it's certainly different to the Beatles. In fact Motown could issue a double a side 45 with Stevie Wonder "We Can Work It Our" and JJ Barnes "Day Tripper".

In fact

Fantastic! Stevie's "We Can Work It Out" along with "For Once In My Life", "Blowing In The Wind" & "Teach Me Tonight" [[from Uptight!), shows his skills as interpreter. He really takes that song and makes it his own.

When Stevie's version came out and was so well received, I actually forgot the Beatles original version.

One of my fav Beatle songs...even before I was a fan. [[earlier in life, I only liked Meet the Beatles...and about 6 other tracks till '76 when I was in HS and became a bigger fan through their then recently released "Rock and Roll Music" 2 LP set)

Love Stevie's version...and Heaven Help Us All from the same time period.

Mary Wilson has done a Stevie style version of We Can Work It Out as an encore over the years, and done it very well
    Last edited by gman; 02-21-2020 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    One of my fav Beatle songs...even before I was a fan. [[earlier in life, I only liked Meet the Beatles...and about 6 other tracks till '76 when I was in HS and became a bigger fan through their then recently released "Rock and Roll Music" 2 LP set)

Mary Wilson has done a Stevie style version of We Can Work It Out as an encore over the years, and done it very well
    I remember Mary doing the song in her shows in the 80s. She would tear it up too!
    Last edited by marv2; 02-22-2020 at 01:01 AM.

I forget sometimes the Beatles did this song after hearing Stevie and Chaka [[whose own cover was actually a 1980s version of Stevie's lol)

there is so much creative effort in this . Stevie is having a wonderful time in the studio playing with his voice and overdubbing . Just terrific, inspired.

This song had already been a Beatles hit what four , five years earlier? I wonder why he revisited it when he did....

I could not believe at the time how Stevie turned this song upside down into his own magical, funky version. It was totally unexpected as I had never heard the Signed Sealed album yet. There was a clip on youtube from a tv show where Paul and Stevie did a fantastic duet on this exchanging each others versions. Stevie's is a fantastic arrangement. As is The Beatles in their own right. Petula Clark turned it into a beautiful ballad on her My Love album.
    Last edited by nathanj06; 03-10-2020 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    I could not believe at the time how Stevie turned this song upside down into his own magical, funky version. It was totally unexpected as I had never heard the Signed Sealed album yet. There was a clip on youtube from a tv show where Paul and Stevie did a fantastic duet on this exchanging each others versions. Stevie's is a fantastic arrangement. As is The Beatles in their own right. Petula Clark turned it into a beautiful ballad on her My Love album.
    I love it when an artist that is truly creative and take a well-known song and give it an entirely different vibe. Similar to what Aretha did with Otis Redding's "Respect".

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I love it when an artist that is truly creative and take a well-known song and give it an entirely different vibe. Similar to what Aretha did with Otis Redding's "Respect".
    I remember reading where Otis Redding stated, "That girl done up and took my song!". No doubt, Aretha then owned Respect.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    I remember reading where Otis Redding stated, "That girl done up and took my song!". No doubt, Aretha then owned Respect.
    Yep! I heard that too. LOL!

Of course Stevie 'stole' this from the Beatles. Hehehehe

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Of course Stevie 'stole' this from the Beatles. Hehehehe
    doesn't compare at all to the Fifth Dimensions replicating and rush releasing their copy of DR's brand new song on her brand new album that she hadn't even had the chance to work yet herself . Don't know why you keep alluding to it, I thought the topic bored you?
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 03-16-2020 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post

Never heard Mary’s version, I bet she def dies a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Now, how great was this?

This is a great thread and made my day. JJ Barnes did a great job with “Tripper”. Always amazes me how I enjoy those artists such as JJ who weren’t quite as well known as Temps or Tops. And Stevie as usual tore it up!

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Never heard Mary’s version, I bet she def dies a great job.
    Mary use to start the song offstage and then appear in front of the audience to cheers while she continues to sing the Stevie version. She'd sometimes would come out into the audience with it.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    This is a great thread and made my day. JJ Barnes did a great job with “Tripper”. Always amazes me how I enjoy those artists such as JJ who weren’t quite as well known as Temps or Tops. And Stevie as usual tore it up!
    Don't forget Ms. Bettye LaVette's stellar version of "Heart of Gold" by Neil Young!