[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I agree that All night lover had hit potential. I still maintain that Getting ready for love was a good choice for the first single despite it not being my personal favorite. Ken Bruce plays it regularly on radio 2. When you consider that programme is the most listened to radio show in the UK that is no mean feat.
    I think the highest position Baby it's me reached in the UK was no.51, but as you rightly point out it sold in modest quantities for several months. It remains one of her finest achievements in my opinion, but Diana herself never considered it as one of her finest moments.
    the Baby It's me songs performed as follows in the UK:

GRFL 23
    Top of the world --
    You love is so good --

the album itself didn't chart

in the BIM EE, i really enjoy the updated version of the title track. I agree with many of the comments here that the album worked as a whole beautifully. but the individual songs by themselves might not have been as exciting as singles.

in the EE, Andy and team did a great job with giving a little more life to the songs. the strings on the intro of GRFL just make that song pop! really perks up the opening. and i think the EE verion of the title track might have been a good single. your love is so good for me is rather bland disco. and she'd had such a huge hit with Hangover. the funkiness of the title track might have been a good, new sound for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    In 2004, Ross briefly included "I Ain't Been Licked" in her show. I remember reading a review that thought it was her "latest song" [[though I cannot find it online anymore). The LA Review does mention the song, even uses it for the title of its review.

https://www.laweekly.com/aint-been-licked/
    Yes she did. One of her best concerts that I ever attended. She also did Reflections one of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    the Baby It's me songs performed as follows in the UK:

GRFL 23
    Top of the world --
    You love is so good --

the album itself didn't chart
    At that particular time there was only a top 50 singles and albums chart published for the public, but there was a top 100 chart for the music industry executives etc. This is where i saw the Baby it's me chart placing. The two "no charting" singles you mentioned also charted, but only in the lower reaches of the top 100.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I love the 12" mix of Your Love is So Good For Me....they paired it with a Thelma Houston cut for the Motown Disco 12" [[I CANT LIVE WITHOUT YOUR LOVE) Motown did 2 different artists on 1 Extended 12" for awhile....WHAT YOU GAVE ME was released disco cued for refrain/break/bridge coupled with Bonnie Pointers FREE ME FROM MY FREEDOM...

Diana's debut and Baby It's Me are my fav solo LPS....EIE, LTISH, TMEITM are all lowest on my list....the rest are all in the middle....I enjoy them selected cuts, and in parts.

I don't like any of the 2nd Motown period LPS much, and the RCA hits comp does it nicely for me with that period....I only got Swept Away and Eaten Alive....I love 50% of both of them... the title cut Swept Away is in my top 5 Ross solo tracks...
    Interesting that you do not care for Touch me in the morning. Did you find it to be a little on the bland side?

Touch Me In The Morning was on the whole a great album - the first four tracks were all good enough to be successful singles and Diana did superb versions of I Won't Last A Day Without You and Imagine [[brave!!).

What ruined it for me were the three "Baby" songs which I didn't care for at all.

I just don't understand why Motown in the US only went with the title track as a single.

The UK was wise enough to release All Of My Life and Bluebrock has told us they intended further releases but were instructed by the parent company to concentrate on the Diana & Marvin album and Last Time I Saw Him.

Definitely missed opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Interesting that you do not care for Touch me in the morning. Did you find it to be a little on the bland side?
    YES....I loved the single....I didn't get the LP til a few years later, and it didn't do much for me. I should give it another whirl...I only played it a few times...it didn't seem to be growing on me, so I let it be. I was listening to Surrender and Lady Sings the Blues a lot at the time...and I was really starting to get brain deep into my Stones/Bowie/Suzi Quatro rock period

TITM album is lovely but a very specific niche. it's mellow, thoughtful and moody. but not one that really would be played at a party. too soothing and soft

But IMO the most important aspect of the album is showing of the development and maturation of Diana as a vocalist. totally different sound from the A&S albums.

I love My Baby My Own. Beautiful track

share some love....sweet summertime living....fire don't burn....we can never light the flame again we're outakes from Ross 78....
    Supposedly there are three more possible tracks with hdh.

I think YWTW is a fairly durable sound...not hit-worthy but pleasantly listenable!