Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
I agree.I recall Barbra Streisand telling me last year how she had to fight like hell to get her Broadway album released back in the 80's. She was advised not to record the album because that type of music was not in vogue. She said the situation became so heated that she threatened to quit Columbia and move over to Arista where Clive Davis was waiting to pounce and give her a lifetime deal. He was fully behind the proposed project unlike the executives at Columbia who wanted a reunion with Barry Gibb. They eventually relented and of course it became one of her biggest sellers and started a whole new trend for revisiting classics from yesteryear. My point here is that following current trends is not always the right thing to do. Baby it's me was a work of art that could have bucked current trends had it been promoted properly and had Diana made a few high profile tv appearances to promote it. Sadly it soured the relationship between Diana and Gordy which took an even bigger turn for the worse over the illfated Ross78 fiasco.
Interesting. I enjoyed the broadway album, but in 85 would really have LOVED a follow up to Guilty when her voice was still at its best. I'm quite sure sales would have easily matched TBA. Whatever the decision, Bab's was on to a winner either way.
Perhaps Diana's tribute to Harold Arlen could have been her own broadway album. I guess we will never know.