[REMOVE ADS]

Is it true that Don't Leave Me This Way was originally for Diana and what other songs

Were meant to be for Diana but never made upon official release or demo?

From the liner notes of "Diana Ross" [[1976) expanded edition [[written by George Solomon and Andrew Skurow): "[Producer Hal] Davis, looking to follow the success of 'Love Hangover,' believes he finds his vehicle in a cover of 'Don't Leave Me This Way,' originally an LP track by Harold Melvin & the Bluenotes. Davis cuts the track for Ross--the session tapes have her name across the tape box and session sheet--but it appears she never records vocals. He considers the tune for Motown's newest female signing, Teena Marie, but instead produces it on Thelma Houston, and his choice gives Thelma her only big hit and a Grammy award. Turnabout is fair play: Diana got "Do You Know Where You're Going To" [originally recorded by Thelma Houston], Thelma got "Don't Leave Me This Way," and both ladies get No. 1 records."

Love Thelma's version, but still a shame Diana Ross never got around to record her vocals.

It would have turned to be a very different song. There voice have nothing in common.

Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post
    It would have turned to be a very different song. There voice have nothing in common.
    I agree! After Teddy and Thelma, it’s hard to imagine anyone else owning this song!

Quote Originally Posted by monicarivers View Post
    I agree! After Teddy and Thelma, it’s hard to imagine anyone else owning this song!
    I always thought "Don't Leave Me This Way" would have been perfect for the Four Tops.

On reflection, I think that it was a good decision for Diana to not record the song. Trying to emulate the vibe of Love Hangover would have, in my opinion, been a bad choice. Love Hangover was a game changer at the time and quite correctly Diana moved on to new sounds on the back of its success.

If we look at Marvin with I Heard It Through The Grapevine, the attempt to recreate the song's overall vibe with That's The Way Love Is failed to impress in many ways. Grapevine was a game changer for Marvin and it too should have not been emulated.

"Marvin : Grapevine = Diana : Love Hangover"

It wouldn't have worked. DR did the right thing by not recording it.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I always thought "Don't Leave Me This Way" would have been perfect for the Four Tops.
    OMG!...that would have been amazing! Levi would have handled that one great. We would have had another great cut.....although I reman a overall bigger Tempts fan, Levi makes a irresistible and unforgettable TORNADO performance out of many cuts!

how interesting would it have been had Teddy and Thelma found an opportunity to pair up on a performance of the song.

Thelma’s version is a well produced disco song with great vocals, but Teddy owns this song. His version is more raw and soulful.

I've read that most of Martha's "Black Magic" LP was intended as a Diana vehicle.

i've heard Islands in the Stream was intended for Diana as a duet. It's Raining Men is another song she was offered

wonder if the work she did with the Hollands was also considered for The Supremes? the dates for songs like Fire Don't Burn and You Build me Up are right in line with the dates when the guys were working with the Sups