[REMOVE ADS]

interesting details about supremes chart rankings

ok - as most of you probably know from other posts, i've been going through Billboard charts and tracking all Sup and DR releases week by week to get a full view of the chart performance of the singles and albums. I'm up to 1974 now so won't be including any of the Scherrie releases in this discussion just yet

i've already posted about some of the top ones like which albums were on the charts the longest [[Where did our love go and GH), how long most of the #1s were in the Top 10, etc

now for the bottom dwellers lol

there are sort of two ways to define things - top 100 and then the "bubbling under" rankings, which seem to cover ranks 101 - 120 or so. the Bubbling ranks didn't always seem to be published so i don't always have that info

of the songs that actually charted in the Top 100, two tie for the shortest run:

Run Run Run [[1 week)
    Bad Weather [[1 week - although BW did spend many weeks in the Bubbling section)

shortest time on chart if you include the Bubbling ranks

My heart can't take it - 2 weeks
    Touch - 4 weeks
    The weight - 5 weeks
    young folks - 6 weeks

Biggest drop from peak chart position [[across all singles through 73)
    Forever came today - dropped 16 ranks from peak of 28
    The Weight - 24 from a peak of 46

most time in the Bubbling Under category
    Bad Weather - 13 weeks
    let me go the right way - 7 weeks
    Your heart belongs to me - 6 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    ok - as most of you probably know from other posts, i've been going through Billboard charts and tracking all Sup and DR releases week by week to get a full view of the chart performance of the singles and albums. I'm up to 1974 now so won't be including any of the Scherrie releases in this discussion just yet

i've already posted about some of the top ones like which albums were on the charts the longest [[Where did our love go and GH), how long most of the #1s were in the Top 10, etc

now for the bottom dwellers lol

there are sort of two ways to define things - top 100 and then the "bubbling under" rankings, which seem to cover ranks 101 - 120 or so. the Bubbling ranks didn't always seem to be published so i don't always have that info

of the songs that actually charted in the Top 100, two tie for the shortest run:

Run Run Run [[1 week)
    Bad Weather [[1 week - although BW did spend many weeks in the Bubbling section)

shortest time on chart if you include the Bubbling ranks

My heart can't take it - 2 weeks
    Touch - 4 weeks
    The weight - 5 weeks
    young folks - 6 weeks

Biggest drop from peak chart position [[across all singles through 73)
    Forever came today - dropped 16 ranks from peak of 28
    The Weight - 24 from a peak of 46

most time in the Bubbling Under category
    Bad Weather - 13 weeks
    let me go the right way - 7 weeks
    Your heart belongs to me - 6 weeks
    Interesting, and thanks for your research.

Now I wonder why and how "Bad Weather" was allowed to "Bubble Under the Hot 100" for 13 weeks whole weeks? hmmmm.........

Cool info Sup. Is it also possible at some point for you to break down the group [[and Diana)'s chart history R&B?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Cool info Sup. Is it also possible at some point for you to break down the group [[and Diana)'s chart history R&B?
    oh lord lolololol I thought about the r&b charts [[dance charts too in the later 70s) but there's just SOOOOOOO many issues. and IMO the supremes really focused on the pop chart rather than the r&b one. Unlike other motown groups like the Temps

so i didn't dig into that one

but maybe someday

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Now I wonder why and how "Bad Weather" was allowed to "Bubble Under the Hot 100" for 13 weeks whole weeks? hmmmm.........
    i agree that it a very interest fact. now keep in mind that it seems like the "bubbling under" list comes and goes. and so i very well could have missed some songs in there.

Another thing i found odd was that once a song starts to drop off, it falls like a rock. might got 1 or 2 weeks and then *poof* it's gone. it never really does a slow decent or drop in the "bubbling under" before disappearing.

other "bombs" like Touch, YWSSL, IGIMTM, Gotta have love, didn't spend time in the bubbling area. again, perhaps i missed them. but seems like BW was struggling for life. sort of gasping and flailing around just outside the Top 100 and just couldn't seem to get it together and chart. was it inconsistent airplay across major markets maybe? there was billboard ads for it and the tv appearances. i tried looking at the dates of those and they don't really seems to correspond to any of the chart activity

Great info sup!
    Guessing that if even one region [[radio station) is strongly playing a song like BAD WEATHER and is reporting it highly during that run , it could be just enough to earn the record Bubbling Under status during that period ...?

Are there examples of 'bubbling unders' that break out from starting there to become big hits?
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-19-2020 at 12:54 PM.

no - i was never able to find "bubbling under" data for any of the songs except those that pretty much lived in that area. BW, Let me go right way, You're heart belongs to me, etc.

I think once the supremes hit it big, their releases would immediately chart in the 100.

makes sense. Maybe most 'bubbling under' titles were from new and unfamiliar artists trying to initially pierce the Hot 100....

every now and then i'd see a title there i sort of recognized.

If anyone [[george you listening? lol) has any more data on how the charts work would be great

i agree that it a very interest fact. now keep in mind that it seems like the "bubbling under" list comes and goes. and so i very well could have missed some songs in there.

Another thing i found odd was that once a song starts to drop off, it falls like a rock. might got 1 or 2 weeks and then *poof* it's gone. it never really does a slow decent or drop in the "bubbling under" before disappearing.

other "bombs" like Touch, YWSSL, IGIMTM, Gotta have love, didn't spend time in the bubbling area. again, perhaps i missed them. but seems like BW was struggling for life. sort of gasping and flailing around just outside the Top 100 and just couldn't seem to get it together and chart. was it inconsistent airplay across major markets maybe? there was billboard ads for it and the tv appearances. i tried looking at the dates of those and they don't really seems to correspond to any of the chart activity
    It is clear that "Bad Weather" was in a "holding pattern" around the country with only a few markets like D.C. and Hawaii where it received somewhat adequate airplay. Had Motown went on and pulled the trigger, meaning distributed the record to radio stations and in the customary retail channels, it would have no doubt risen up the Billboard Charts in a hurry! A stupid game they were playing, because I know that they knew how to get behind a record when they wanted to!
    Last edited by marv2; 02-19-2020 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Great info sup!
    Guessing that if even one region [[radio station) is strongly playing a song like BAD WEATHER and is reporting it highly during that run , it could be just enough to earn the record Bubbling Under status during that period ...?

Are there examples of 'bubbling unders' that break out from starting there to become big hits?
    That's what happened with "Bad Weather". It was a bonafide hit in markets like Washington D.C. and Honolulu, Hawaii. The problem was you could not hear it on stations around the country because they never received promo copies from Motown. You couldn't go into any record store and find it either. You literally had to search for it in many areas across the country including Detroit!

Inconsistent airplay across major markets? HA! There was NO AIRPLAY in most markets because they never would receive the radio promo copies from the record company. Motown had Salespeople that went out to the stations to promote its records, so I know they could have promoted a lot of those Supremes releases if they wanted to. Remember the group still had to pay for recording sessions etc out of their royalties in the 70s, so the company would be out of very little money if they failed to promote their music.

That's what happened with "Bad Weather". It was a bonafide hit in markets like Washington D.C. and Honolulu, Hawaii. The problem was you could not hear it on stations around the country because they never received promo copies from Motown. You couldn't go into any record store and find it either. You literally had to search for it in many areas across the country including Detroit!
    that is pure, utter bullshit. I have two BW promo singles both with program director markings, one one red vinyl. One has the length of the intro in sharpie written on it. You can often find these on eBay. It didn’t get played because it wasn’t radio friendly. I nearly threw up the first time I head it. Jean is so screeeeeetchy on it that it was intolerable in 1973. Today, it sounds much better.

‘it’s foolish to even suggest Motown Would want the group to fail and would want Stevie wonder’s production to fail it makes no sense whatsoever. All of Mary’s bullshit about being held back because of ross his solo career would no longer applies as she had the number one album in the country on that song came out And was light years away from the group. Admit it, it was a shitty shitty single for its day. Chain reaction did well on W ABC in New York, that doesn’t mean it was going to do better elsewhere. Let somebody know it was number one in Curaçao…… So what? A hit record has to be a hit record across the board not an itty-bitty little markets.

Motown can’t do anything to get their records in the stores except offer them for sale and since many stores have been stuck with dynamite, return of the magnificent seven, you gotta have love in your heart, your wonderful sweet sweet love, I guess I missed the man, Jimmy Webb… It’s just possible they were going to wait until that song hit before they invested their money in another supreme‘s product……That’s how record buyers operate

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    that is pure, utter bullshit. I have two BW promo singles both with program director markings, one one red vinyl. One has the length of the intro in sharpie written on it. You can often find these on eBay. It didn’t get played because it wasn’t radio friendly. I nearly threw up the first time I head it. Jean is so screeeeeetchy on it that it was intolerable in 1973. Today, it sounds much better.

‘it’s foolish to even suggest Motown Would want the group to fail and would want Stevie wonder’s production to fail it makes no sense whatsoever. All of Mary’s bullshit about being held back because of ross his solo career would no longer applies as she had the number one album in the country on that song came out And was light years away from the group. Admit it, it was a shitty shitty single for its day. Chain reaction did well on W ABC in New York, that doesn’t mean it was going to do better elsewhere. Let somebody know it was number one in Curaçao…… So what? A hit record has to be a hit record across the board not an itty-bitty little markets.

Motown can’t do anything to get their records in the stores except offer them for sale and since many stores have been stuck with dynamite, return of the magnificent seven, you gotta have love in your heart, your wonderful sweet sweet love, I guess I missed the man, Jimmy Webb… It’s just possible they were going to wait until that song hit before they invested their money in another supreme‘s product……That’s how record buyers operate
    Well then eat it then! Where I was and where all those folks were that received those paper newsletters [[they were spread out from New York to California) is what we all experienced what was reported at the time in 1973! Just because YOU had two "Bad Weather" promo singles doesn't mean shit! None of the DJ's in Detroit or Toledo had them and amazingly, none in New York City! Motown did not want the Supremes to continue successfully. They let the group die a slow death and once Mary was out of the group, the killed it outright! Scherrie and Susaye were preparing to continue on as "The Supremes" and Motown said NO!

I now remember that Stevie Wonder was mad as Hell that Motown let "Bad Weather" just drop as they did. Ewart Abner, the then President of Motown Records was partly responsible. Not radio-friendly? You must be out of your mind or did not listen to Soul radio in 1973. I listen to it every day so I know you are just throwing out cliched excuses!

I have two Billboard "Bubbling Under..." chart books, 1959-1985 [[2nd Edition) and 1998 [[3rd Edition).

The 1998 Edition lists only records that did not go on to chart in the Hot 100. Only 1 Supremes record, My Heart Can't Take It No More, and 2 Diana Ross records, My Old Piano and Take Me Higher were listed. [[The Billboard Bubbling Under chart had been discontinued in August 1985 and reinstated in December 1992.)

The 1959-1985 Edition is more interesting. It lists all songs that were on the Bubbling Under chart, even those that went on to the Hot 100.

Diana Ross has 3 records listed. In addition to My Old Piano, which did not make it to the Hot 100, 2 songs that did chart on the Hot 100 that Bubbled Under first were Good Morning Heartache and One More Chance.

The 60s Supremes had 9 records listed.

The 70s Supremes had only Bad Weather.
    106, 105, 105, 103, 103, 101, 101, 87, 103, 101, 101, 101, 108, 108

In this 1985 edition there are some "Chart Facts" lists. In the "Hot 100-Bound Records Of Longevity" list, Bad Weather is #1 at 13 weeks. Another list has those records of longevity that did not chart on the Hot 100, only 14 records have 13 weeks or more. [[In the 1998 edition there are 44 records with 14 weeks or more.)

Bad Weather did pop-up on the International "Hits of the World" charts. I seem to recall that it might have gone to #1 in Luxembourg [[or maybe Yugoslavia). I'm not sure if I bought that issue of Billboard. I once tried to do a quick search online of old issues of Billboard but could not find what I was looking for regarding this record internationally. It seems some of the International charts were listed only as space permitted. Bubbling under was the same, sometimes only 101-110 or maybe 101-120.
    Last edited by johnjeb; 02-20-2020 at 01:38 PM.

I have the Cash Box Looking Ahead Chart Book which covers the first chart in 1959 to the final chart in 1993.

Only one Supremes' record is listed - Your Heart Belongs To Me from 1962 reaching #105 with 11 weeks on the chart.

Bad Weather was on CB chart for 3 weeks reaching #92.

For Diana 2 singles spent 1 week in the Breakers - To Love Again and Waiting In The Wings at #s 103 and 104 respectively.

Sorry Doesn't Always Make It Right charted for 5 weeks on CB reaching #84.

Supremes' Children's Christmas Song spent 2 weeks on Record World chart in 1965 reaching #90.

Speaking on Bad Weather... maybe it's just me - and BEAR WITH ME here - but I always believed Stevie was a better writer and producer when it came to himself. It was miss and hit when it came to others.

Hit [[It's a Shame, Tears of a Clown)
    Miss [[Bad Weather, Syreeta's first two albums plus Harmour Love, Gary Byrd)

He didn't really write and produce for others too much. He did some compositions in the 60s, yes, and of course Tell Me Something Good [[which Chaka now claims she wrote the lyrics but didn't demand SW add her name) and Until You Come Back to Me became classics but other than that, his production work left a lot to be desired.

Bad Weather just wouldn't have worked even if Diana had received it. That's not the fault of the Supremes. Jean did the best with what she can.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Speaking on Bad Weather... maybe it's just me - and BEAR WITH ME here - but I always believed Stevie was a better writer and producer when it came to himself. It was miss and hit when it came to others.

He didn't really write and produce for others too much. He did some compositions in the 60s, yes, and of course Tell Me Something Good [[which Chaka now claims she wrote the lyrics but didn't demand SW add her name) and Until You Come Back to Me became classics but other than that, his production work left a lot to be desired.

Bad Weather just wouldn't have worked even if Diana had received it. That's not the fault of the Supremes. Jean did the best with what she can.
    I've made the same point before. BW was never going to be a hit for any group/artist. It's not a song to sing or dance to, nor is it memorable or catchy. Stevie's magic didn't extend to other artists unfortunately like Smokey's did. None of the songs that I've heard that Stevie did with the Supreme's or Martha & The Vandellas were memorable or hits.

You can include “The force behind the power” also.

Gary Byrd reached Number 6 in the UK national charts, and deservedly so. It's only recently that I found out that it hadn't done so well in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    You can include “The force behind the power” also.
    LOL Agree 100%!!! I knew it wasn't going to be a hit the first time I heard it. It's not catchy, it wasn't a song you could sing along with or dance to.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    I've made the same point before. BW was never going to be a hit for any group/artist. It's not a song to sing or dance to, nor is it memorable or catchy. Stevie's magic didn't extend to other artists unfortunately like Smokey's did. None of the songs that I've heard that Stevie did with the Supreme's or Martha & The Vandellas were memorable or hits.
    BW is annoying. A shuffling upbeat ditty about.... impending bad weather ?? makes no sense !

I now remember that Stevie Wonder was mad as Hell that Motown let "Bad Weather" just drop as they did. Ewart Abner, the then President of Motown Records was partly responsible. Not radio-friendly? You must be out of your mind or did not listen to Soul radio in 1973. I listen to it every day so I know you are just throwing out cliched excuses!
    Well, he seemed to get over it, didn’t he? Why don’t you?

Well then eat it then! Where I was and where all those folks were that received those paper newsletters [[they were spread out from New York to California) is what we all experienced what was reported at the time in 1973! Just because YOU had two "Bad Weather" promo singles doesn't mean shit! None of the DJ's in Detroit or Toledo had them and amazingly, none in New York City! Motown did not want the Supremes to continue successfully. They let the group die a slow death and once Mary was out of the group, the killed it outright! Scherrie and Susaye were preparing to continue on as "The Supremes" and Motown said NO!
    ‘Lambkin, we all know when you get all emphatic that you tend to....shall we say, have a tendency to “glorify” facts as it were.... So, here are facts from books - not schnooks:
    ‘Bad Weather charted 87 Pop and 74 Soul which would seem to indicate airplay which might suggest the airplay, limited though it may be, came from some sort of round black disk - unless you are suggesting that this bupke is the first single to chart on Billboard charts without airplay. Additionally, IGIMTM which hit well on AC - did so because it got played. Those DJ s probably told you they didn’t get BW to get you to quit bothering them! LOL!!!!!

I thought it was quite common knowledge once Mary was out she went to Diana and asked her to go to Berry and end the group because there were no original Supremes left!

So, after all, Mary killed the Supremes.
    Last edited by jobeterob; 02-22-2020 at 11:22 PM.

BW is annoying. A shuffling upbeat ditty about.... impending bad weather ?? makes no sense !
    It's just too Soulful for some people that loved the bubblegum sound of the 60s Supremes. The song was about impending trouble in a man and woman's relationship.

LOL Agree 100%!!! I knew it wasn't going to be a hit the first time I heard it. It's not catchy, it wasn't a song you could sing along with or dance to.
    It also received NO radio airplay in America. I do not recall ever hearing it on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Gary Byrd reached Number 6 in the UK national charts, and deservedly so. It's only recently that I found out that it hadn't done so well in the USA.
    Imhotep Gary Byrd's "The Crown" was quite popular here in New York.

It's not a song to sing and dance to? You're kidding right?

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I found that his proteges did better in the UK than here. Syreeta and Gary mainly. Can't recount others. Doubt Syreeta could've made a hit out of BW.

Smokey had the magic touch that his contemporaries didn't have. Well if Marvin wasn't so much of a basket case, especially on drugs, he might've made an even bigger impact as a writer for others but like Stevie, MG worked best by himself. Telling Smokey gave the Supremes a top 40 single but not Stevie, huh?

Smokey had the magic touch that his contemporaries didn't have. Well if Marvin wasn't so much of a basket case, especially on drugs, he might've made an even bigger impact as a writer for others but like Stevie, MG worked best by himself. Telling Smokey gave the Supremes a top 40 single but not Stevie, huh?
    Smokey was also VP at Motown. He had the clout to make them move records. He, also as a songwriter made money when his songs did well. Stevie knew he did a great job with the Supremes and "Bad Weather" which is why he was so F'd up over it not hitting the way it was supposed to thanks to Motown. He yelled at Ewart Abner over it.

I agree with the Stevie assessments; Bad Weather is a plodding song but no way was that going to be a hit; neither was The Force Behind the Power. Diana said you have to go for the hooks and she knew how to do that; neither of those songs has much of a hook, nothing catchy.

Around the times those songs were released, there were much better choices for both artists.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I thought it was quite common knowledge once Mary was out she went to Diana and asked him to go to Berry and end the group because there were no original Supremes left!

Well ... Duh, Mary!

I agree with the Stevie assessments; Bad Weather is a plodding song but no way was that going to be a hit; neither was The Force Behind the Power. Diana said you have to go for the hooks and she knew how to do that; neither of those songs has much of a hook, nothing catchy.

Around the times those songs were released, there were much better choices for both artists.
    FBTP was a bad song too. Just proved my point further. Stevie is a genius but there were limits.

That rumor has been going around forever and yet never proven.
    I thought it was quite common knowledge once Mary was out she went to Diana and asked him to go to Berry and end the group because there were no original Supremes left!

FBTP was a bad song too. Just proved my point further. Stevie is a genius but there were limits.
    Never heard it before.

Lazy , sleepy simplistic which was the sound of the times ....

....the force of the choir gives it any power .... needs michael going "eee hee hee" once in awhile.....

....and the video , despite lightning flashing and horses charging in the background, can't jazz it up. Lots of video of Diana doing not much of anything except having her hair blown ! lol!

[[ OK , good horns [[not enough) and it does have a good universal message, but I'll stick to LOVE TRAIN)

[[underarm sightings)
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 02-22-2020 at 01:37 PM.

Never heard it before.

....the force of the choir gives it any power .... needs michael going "eee hee hee" once in awhile.....

....and the video , despite lightning flashing and horses charging in the background, can't jazz it up. Lots of video of Diana doing not much of anything except having her hair blown ! lol!

[[ OK , good horns [[not enough) and it does have a good universal message, but I'll stick to LOVE TRAIN)

[[underarm sightings)
    "New Jack Swing" was the popular sound of the times of the early 90s.

Never heard it before.

[[underarm sightings)
    It did sound like one of MJ's cheesy social ballads [[I always found Stevie real preachy when he wrote those type of songs).

"New Jack Swing" was the popular sound of the times of the early 90s.
    Oddly enough, her first Motown "comeback" album, Working Overtime, had new jack swing styled tunes on it. Motown wanted her to be Janet Jackson lol

Oddly enough, her first Motown "comeback" album, Working Overtime, had new jack swing styled tunes on it. Motown wanted her to be Janet Jackson lol
    That album sucked! Even the kids could that she was pandering. None of it sounded authentic.

i think there are hints of what might have worked with BW. agree that, as it is, it wasn't the best choice for a single. you're correct in that there really isn't as strong of a hook and the melody is too all over the place. combine that with the fact that the group was stone cold with radio and you have the recipe for a flop

i do think the funkier sound and approach was refreshing and something that would have been an interesting reimagining of the group's sound and style.

But Jimmy Webb destroyed their recording reputation, which was already shaky.

My favorite Supremes single will always be "Bad Weather".

So when I read those bad comments I think... "Wow, those guys really do not know how to dance!"
    I remember we would burn The Abbey disco floor whenever those 3 minutes were played by the DJ.

By the way last year's Reflex Revision remix is very good.

I think “Bad weather” a great song. For me it has all the ingredients of a hit. Perhaps for a Supremes song, it was just a little to soulful/sophisticated for the time it was released in to be a huge hit.
    ”Force Behind The Power” was a hit in the UK. I think the no nonsense production serves the spiritual lyrics very well. I personally really like it and think it one the highlights of an album that veered towards the vanilla at times.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 04-14-2020 at 05:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    My favorite Supremes single will always be "Bad Weather".

So when I read those bad comments I think... "Wow, those guys really do not know how to dance!"
    I remember we would burn The Abbey disco floor whenever those 3 minutes were played by the DJ.

By the way last year's Reflex Revision remix is very good.
    The negative reaction here to BW surprises me as well, Edgar. I thought it was great at the time and still do. And it sounded great on the radio!